Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (965) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389682 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by favoured247(m): 4:53pm On May 03, 2018
Hello house. For a land with size 13.37m by 34.9m, what is the breakdown of fencing it with just 4 coaches in terms of financial cost and materials involved in doing it. The aim is just to secure the land. Nothing more than that. Location is Port Harcourt. Please i need answers. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:04pm On May 03, 2018
akinolaolujide:

Most definately
You would even have adequate space to park 2cars self with airspace
Adequate space to park two cars??
What is gonna be the length & breadth of d building?
Remember setback, soakaway & water storage.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:09pm On May 03, 2018
favoured247:
Hello house. For a land with size 13.37m by 34.9m, what is the breakdown of fencing it with just 4 coaches in terms of financial cost and materials involved in doing it. The aim is just to secure the land. Nothing more than that. Location is Port Harcourt. Please i need answers. Thanks
Around 500k if the land is a dry one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:50pm On May 03, 2018
segcymoor:

Not properly done? But how?
Raft foundation is most simple form of foundation as far as I am concerned. grin
Welcome Bros...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:53pm On May 03, 2018
Rubbiish:

The house will be L shaped to fit in well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:20pm On May 03, 2018
bixton:

The house will be L shaped to fit in well.
okay sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 7:25pm On May 03, 2018
Don't forget to get all the finishing materials you need for your house finishing like #tiles, #water closet and sanitary wares fp@epic_ceramics

Note: Delivery to all part of Lagos is free on terms and conditions.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:13pm On May 03, 2018
psychologist:

The structure is kinda old, so we arnt planning on adding another storey on it....thanks for your advise I do consider that.

Then Felting will be your good choice.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:39pm On May 03, 2018
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

I support you Sir. Felting is a good choice for the deck. I will be doing felt on a tank base floor next week.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:41pm On May 03, 2018
spyder880:

I support you Sir. Felting is a good choice for the deck. I will be doing felt on a tank base floor next week.

Thank you Sir. Please carry us along with pics as usual.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:39am On May 04, 2018
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Felting is a choice, but not a good one in the present circumstances. They use coal tar in Nigeria as adhesive to lay the felt. The Nigerian sun will do justice to this. But this is the least worry.

In today's money, a decking is worth about 3 million Naira. Why pour tar on a 3 million Naira surface with the potential of ruining it? Yes, he said there is no immediate plans to build upwards, but what if circumstances change in future and there is the need to extend upwards? Can you imagine how much it will cost to scrape off the tar before you can extend? Why ruin a whole decking with coal tar?

With 300k possibly, he can flat roof the deck, problem solved. Tomorrow the option is still there to build upwards. Just remove the roof.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Powerexpert: 8:11am On May 04, 2018
I hope discussion about diesel and gas generator is tolerated?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:21am On May 04, 2018
mufutau55:

Thank you Sir. Please carry us along with pics as usual.

Hajji M.

Certainly Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:25am On May 04, 2018
diordaves:

Felting is a choice, but not a good one in the present circumstances. They use coal tar in Nigeria as adhesive to lay the felt. The Nigerian sun will do justice to this. But this is the least worry.

In today's money, a decking is worth about 3 million Naira. Why pour tar on a 3 million Naira surface with the potential of ruining it? Yes, he said there is no immediate plans to build upwards, but what if circumstances change in future and there is the need to extend upwards? Can you imagine how much it will cost to scrape off the tar before you can extend? Why ruin a whole decking with coal tar?

With 300k possibly, he can flat roof the deck, problem solved. Tomorrow the option is still there to build upwards. Just remove the roof.

There is also a method of using other adhesive types, not tar to lay felt. (Although my work is a tank base not decking floor) That's the option I will be exploring. Buying coal tar to use in sticking sheets of felt up to a decking space is surely not going to be cheap.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 11:28am On May 04, 2018
Rubbiish:

Yes chief that is what I do for a living
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:51am On May 04, 2018
diordaves:

But according to his second post, they will never put another story on top of it. Yes, roofing is another option for sure.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:12pm On May 04, 2018
spyder880:

There is also a method of using other adhesive types, not tar to lay felt. (Although my work is a tank base not decking floor) That's the option I will be exploring. Buying coal tar to use in sticking sheets of felt up to a decking space is surely not going to be cheap.

Yes, this is what I know felt is effective for: small area that are redundant. In the UK, we mostly lay felt on plywood surfaces, never on a whole concrete (slab) decking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:20pm On May 04, 2018
mufutau55:

But according to his second post, they will never put another story on top of it. Yes, roofing is another option for sure.

Hajji M.
felting has to be done.. and properly too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:07pm On May 04, 2018
2-3plots dry land needed to be put to use, along the road a better option.
No permanent structure erect
No Septic tank or Soakaway
Borehole will be made.

Duration: 2yrs lease

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:28pm On May 04, 2018
diordaves:

Yes, this is what I know felt is effective for: small area that are redundant. In the UK, we mostly lay felt on plywood surfaces, never on a whole concrete (slab) decking.

Do you put the weather, (temperature the felt will be constantly exposed to), in Nigeria, compared to the UK, into consideration?

Once felt is laid, very low temperatures as obtainable in the UK, keeps it hard and thick.
In Nigeria, a felt that is exposed daily to temperature in the late 30's, everyday, will soon start to melt away (the gum/tar), as we have seen on some houses and even on tarred roads.

What about the suggestion of using a Hydor-sealant, mixed with a little Cement, to refloor the Decking such that it provides a water-repellant layer, ontop of the decking?
That l think should take care of the seepage.

my opinion though, my one cent.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaitoro(m): 6:36am On May 05, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:
Don't forget to get all the finishing materials you need for your house finishing like #tiles, #water closet and sanitary wares fp@epic_ceramics

Note: Delivery to all part of Lagos is free on terms and conditions.

Metal bathtub and fibre one, which one is better considering the advantages and disadvantages of each and it's durability.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2018
olaitoro:

Metal bathtub and fibre one, which one is better considering the advantages and disadvantages of each and it's durability.

Good morning sir

I believe fibre bathtub is better and quite durable if well installed .
Great for families and everyday use
Lower price
Durable and resistant to scratches and stains
Warm to the touch
Wider variety of shapes and models

Metal one gets rough on the long run.
And its absorbs cold on cold weather

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:05am On May 05, 2018
Daboomb:

These are well-processed and infused with chemicals that repel such insects.
The problem is that we try to use our own, raw from the swamp.
Bamboo theory is as old as China itself.
You just need to see the wonderful build-things they have done with bamboo

And mind you, those building 'iron' rods also rust with time, unless you are building with stainless Steel. undecided undecided

True.. but how long do you think treatment of wood / bamboo with chemicals stay effective? Especially in a tropical setting like Nigeria. It's not forever. You have to have a maintenance plan that requires treating every 5-7 years depending on termite/wood-worm prevalence in that area.

Do they have termites prevalence like in Nigeria? What is their total insect population? The weather in Nigeria also dries bamboo rapidly (3 months max) and then they break off easily.

Iron rods can stay effective over 70-~ years if unexposed.

I'm not trying to point out the negatives. I'm just saying every Engineering solution has to be localized. Not just copied..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:28am On May 05, 2018
GoodFaith:

Educate yourself about building
Ask people who have build about the price and numbers of bricklayers and and servers if you are not contracting it.
materials be will to go to different places to check out prices
Bricklayers will steal from you --cements
Carpenters will steal nails from you
Iron bender will steal iron from you-- I have a project going on now from Germany floor before parapet
Contractor told 80 12mm iron and Iron bender told me 85
I told both contractor and iron bender i only have 60 12mm iron they end up using 62 12mm

Bros, I just want to ask o...

Sir, How did you arrive at 60pcs of reinforcements? Did you just fell like "60 pcs" should be Okay? Did you do calculations? Are you a structural Engineer? Did you just assume they wanted to cheat you?

Asking your contractor and iron bender for separate quotes shows they are operating as 2 different entities, not colluding..

If a contractor quotes 80, your Iron bender quotes 82 ( probably 2 extra pcs just incase), don't you think they know what they are doing?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:36am On May 05, 2018
spyder880:

Rubber Felting (with gas) will cost him more than a flat roof. He should just do a flat roof. No need for nogging.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:55pm On May 05, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Good morning sir

I believe fibre bathtub is better and quite durable if well installed .
Great for families and everyday use
Lower price
Durable and resistant to scratches and stains
Warm to the touch
Wider variety of shapes and models

Metal one gets rough on the long run.
And its absorbs cold on cold weather

You have been warned before. Pleade do not advert in this thread, or you will be banned. Be warned.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 4:04pm On May 05, 2018
mufutau55:

You have been warned before. Pleade do not advert in this thread, or you will be banned. Be warned.

Hajji M.

So I should not respond to the question he asked ?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:07pm On May 05, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

So I should not respond to the question he asked ?

The question was from your earlier advertisement.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:19pm On May 06, 2018
I know this is going to be a little if not lot controversial but part of the dividends of a good education is an ability to read up and learn almost anything you need to know about.

I am in the middle of a build and happen to have time to investigate and plan often times 2 or more stages in advance and also carry out extensive research on quantities required.

When it came to decking there is this standard that is banded about 3 tonnes of 12mm and 2 tonnes of 16mm and then some more of 10 or 8mm also. I made my calculations based on engineering requirements and bought 2.25 of 12mm and 1 tonne of 16mm and 40 pieces of 8mm. I actually bought a little more than my decking calculations cos I was doing a concrete water stand at the same time. Spacing was stated as essentially 6.67inches apart some end up using 6 inches and others 7inches. My build is essentially 50ft by 40 ft. I only ended up buying 4 more pieces of 16mm and had 15pieces of 12mm and 7 pieces of 8mm left over.

When I finish the roofing I will present costings and I can say it's been a eye opener.

Mind you I have been in a position to like a hulk monitor major stages of the progress(as I virtually lived on site) save for some stages which I have had to allow.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:32pm On May 06, 2018
^^^^^^^
Mama @gabbytabby
Your contribution and post is always very welcomed here.
It's always an education for many of us. So, please keep it coming, with all the money saving tips. Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (962) (963) (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) ... (3667) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.