Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (984) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4401412 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (981) (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:53am On Jun 12, 2018
megacontrol:
9" block, and i was asking about the qty of cement that will be used to set 100 x 9" blocks irrespective of how long the job lasts.
Thanks

2 bags if ur mason is not wasteful
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:57am On Jun 12, 2018
jabolo:
I got 3,000 x 9" blocks from 100 bags.
Do the math.
i guess this is for block moulding & not setting?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:06am On Jun 12, 2018
abbeycial:

I appreciate your candid response bro.

I have to double my effort and get the granite for the job. embarassed
Yes sir if u can
Granite is d best aggregate for high grade concrete, gravel dont posses much strength as granite.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 10:17am On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:

Please sir how about to set 6" blocks because my mason is quoting 2bags for 6"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:21am On Jun 12, 2018
jiday4:

Please sir how about to set 6" blocks because my mason is quoting 2bags for 6"
Your mason is right, though he may not fully use up the two bags, but it is still approximately two bags.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 10:28am On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:

Your mason is right, though he may not fully use up the two bags, but it is still approximately two bags.

Thanks for the reply sir, since he might not finish using one bag for hundred block , can I buy 8 bags for 1000 blocks ? I won't be there to supervise him .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:37am On Jun 12, 2018
jiday4:

Thanks for the reply sir, since he might not finish using one bag for hundred block , can I buy 8 bags for 1000 blocks ? I won't be there to supervise him .
Not enough sir
U will need times two of that number sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 10:45am On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:

Not enough sir
U will need times two of that number sir
Sorry I did a wrong calculation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:49am On Jun 12, 2018
Going by the rough estimate provided of 2 bags for every 100 blocks means you should need 20bags to set your 1000 blocks. even IF it will be a little less because its 6" blocks, it wouldn't be by much so your 8bags is way off from 20 bags. that's going by the estimate provided by @Rubbiish, which i think is a reasonable one.

jiday4:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 11:03am On Jun 12, 2018
Thanks. exactly the number i was looking for.

Rubbiish:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 11:08am On Jun 12, 2018
megacontrol:
Going by the rough estimate provided of 2 bags for every 100 blocks means you should need 20bags to set your 1000 blocks. even IF it will be a little less because its 6" blocks, it wouldn't be by much so your 8bags is way off from 20 bags. that's going by the estimate provided by @Rubbiish, which i think is a reasonable one.

I got it Sir, the 8bags is a mistake and am grateful for the input
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lawofeso: 1:00pm On Jun 12, 2018
Good morning everyone finally found the forum am looking for. I have a quote of 45k to plaster just the inside of a 1 bedroom self contained, the room is 12x12,parlor is 12x14, toilet is 6x8 and the kitchen is also 6x8. Materials needed is 12 bags of cement, sand, sharp sand and water. The 45k is just for labor is this reasonable? This is in Igode within Ikorodu.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 1:43pm On Jun 12, 2018
lawofeso:
Good morning everyone finally found the forum am looking for. I have a quote of 45k to plaster just the inside of a 1 bedroom self contained, the room is 12x12,parlor is 12x14, toilet is 6x8 and the kitchen is also 6x8. Materials needed is 12 bags of cement, sand, sharp sand and water. The 45k is just for labor is this reasonable? This is in Igode within Ikorodu.
Fair
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by honey001(m): 2:24pm On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:
And my Mason said he used 9bags to set 400 6' blocks....Chai.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2018
spiceeamiee:
Good morning all. Please who does building designs here? I need a quote for a building design. Please send an email to mimidec49@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Has someone responded to you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 2:58pm On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:

What capacity of tank do u intend to support sir?

A total of 4500 L in three tanks. Two units of 1500L at the peak and another 1500L mid height were suggested. I was told I could do 2500L each but I'm just so scared, I don't know why.
Same reason I get sacred of any building rising above the ground floor.
Thank you very much sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:31pm On Jun 12, 2018
alstacs:

A total of 4500 L in three tanks. Two units of 1500L at the peak and another 1500L mid height were suggested. I was told I could do 2500L each but I'm just so scared, I don't know why.
Same reason I get sacred of any building rising above the ground floor.
Thank you very much sir.
Doing 2500L each is a better option
two units of 1500L will require 6 legs for adequate stability, meaning more materials & increase in cost. but the 2500L on two level will require 4legs.The 6 x 3inch H beam can carry it. There should be adequate bracing though.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:03pm On Jun 12, 2018
abbeycial:

Wow!
The gravel idea was sold to me by one of my neighbors who also has a two storey building he developed in same area(4 units of 2 bedroom flats).
Was doubting the reliability of gravel over granite when it comes to decking thus I threw it to the house for clarification.

For the ply wood,I would just drop the idea.
I can't faint.

The use of gravel in building construction was discontinued for usage in concrete mix based on engineering research/findings.

Gravel is an alternative aggregate material to use based on cost.

But granite is better.

You'll just have to make a choice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 8:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
bixton:

The use of gravel in building construction was discontinued for usage in concrete mix based on engineering research/findings.

Gravel is an alternative aggregate material to use based on cost.

But granite is better.

You'll just have to make a choice.

So am I safe to use it for decking slabs for a two storey building with 4 units of 2 bedroom flats?am really tempted due to finacial constraints.

I would also appreciate if I can be enlightened on any additional fortification required for the above.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2018
abbeycial:

So am I safe to use it for decking slabs for a two storey building with 4 units of 2 bedroom flats?am really tempted due to finacial constraints.

I would also appreciate if I can be enlightened on any additional fortification required for the above.

Sorry, i can't really advice you about using it or not.

And if you're so tempted, kindly check the history of existing structures for your type of build within the area your build is and run a sample.

Goodluck.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oscarmedia(m): 10:15pm On Jun 12, 2018
Hello house , I’m currently working on a project which was meant to be 2 units of 2 bedroom apartments but along the line plans changed and I plan to use it for 4 units of 1 bedroom mini flats . Is there any need to reinforce the German floor with rods due to the change or can I get away with just casting since it’s a bungalow?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Fortune444: 10:25pm On Jun 12, 2018
Vacancy! Vacancy!! Vacancy!!!

A fast growing interior design company is seeking the services of the following individuals to work in our furniture/interior design company in Port Harcourt, Rivers State:

-Business Development / Sales Lead: An OND, HND or Bachelor Degree holder with a flair for sales and customer service to boost sale of furniture and interior design products and services. Previous experience selling or in a furniture company as an added advantage. Good Understanding of social media techniques, mass communication to potential customers and a strong drive to succeed in the role will be pluses. A Go Getter, Persuasive, Articulate and Eloquent, Excellent Written and Oral Communication Skills, Good sense of responsibility and leadership to manage other company staff as assigned, a keen interest to grow in the organization, Honest and focusedMales and Females are encouraged to apply alike.

-Upholstery Tailor/Designer: No specific degree required - Skill Based person! Capable of sewing furniture fabrics and leather using industrial sewing machines. Previous work evidence (pictures of own works) and practical experience in a reputable company, will serve as key advantage.

-Workshop Manager: No specific degree required - Skill Based person! Knowledge of furniture factory processes, wood work or other related technical crafts. Past learning or working experience from a technical/craft college will be a great asset.

If you fit these qualities and are motivated to develop yourself in a fast growing company, send your COVER LETTER and RESUME to:

mx2lioms@yahoo.co.uk

A phone interview will be granted to initially shortlisted candidates, prior to face to face interview.

Application Deadline is 18 June 2018.

Job Starts before end of June 2018 for successful persons following due interviews.

Candidates based in Rivers State are encouraged to apply.

Design Lead
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 10:55pm On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:

Doing 2500L each is a better option
two units of 1500L will require 6 legs for adequate stability, meaning more materials & increase in cost. but the 2500L on two level will require 4legs.The 6 x 3inch H beam can carry it. There should be adequate bracing though.

Thank you very much sir. It is so amazing how helpful folks are here. My fears have been allayed.

I got 16 pieces of 4 ft lenght Y32 rods with 15mm 1 ft square plates for the stand. The basket will be made from Y 16...
This started like a joke. I wasn't ready for this but I am being moved cos I was able to acquire the H channels

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:36am On Jun 13, 2018
oscarmedia:
Hello house , I’m currently working on a project which was meant to be 2 units of 2 bedroom apartments but along the line plans changed and I plan to use it for 4 units of 1 bedroom mini flats . Is there any need to reinforce the German floor with rods due to the change or can I get away with just casting since it’s a bungalow?
U can't do major change as serious as this on german floor, it must start from the foundation trench. Only minor alteration that may only affect few non load bearing walls like bath partition can be done on german floor. I am afraid u will have to continue with your 2 bedroom plan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:52am On Jun 13, 2018
oscarmedia:

The most likely to do;
Break german floor and excavate to the depth of existing blinding and restart the process for all new walls linking to existing walls.

Any existing wall not needed should be safely demolished.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 12:59pm On Jun 13, 2018
Any advise on Floor tiles, Is Vitrify good enough without breaking the bank? Any reliable suppliers in Ibadan?

Thanks in advance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2018
dejavus:
Any advise on Floor tiles, Is Vitrify good enough without breaking the bank? Any reliable suppliers in Ibadan?

Thanks in advance.

Hi sir
Its epic_ceramics here
Vitrified tiles is the best for floor tiles cus the same colour at the surface penetrates through the entire thickness of the tile,so no matter the traffic at the area it remains for a long time. Most banks use vitrified tiles .

On braking the bank grin
It all depends on who you buy from and the places you want use them for. Its quite affordable here in Lagos.
There are vitrified tile in Nigerian,China and Spanish products .

My Advice: If you are buying enough tiles you can come to Lagos or let us deliver them to you in Ibadan. I believe it would be cheaper that way. cool

Below is a sample of Spanish vitrified tile

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:24pm On Jun 13, 2018
dejavus:

Thanks in advance.

Is the bold an idiom or some form of typo?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 3:28pm On Jun 13, 2018
bixton:

Is the bold an idiom or some form of typo?

Idiom. In common usage, means not too expensive.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 3:59pm On Jun 13, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Hi sir
Its epic_ceramics here
Vitrified tiles is the best for floor tiles cus the same colour at the surface penetrates through the entire thickness of the tile,so no matter the traffic at the area it remains for a long time. Most banks use vitrified tiles .

On braking the bank grin
It all depends on who you buy from and the places you want use them for. Its quite affordable here in Lagos.
There are vitrified tile in Nigerian,China and Spanish products .

My Advice: If you are buying enough tiles you can come to Lagos or let us deliver them to you in Ibadan. I believe it would be cheaper that way. cool

Below is a sample of Spanish vitrified tile
Thanks for this, forget about buying in IB for a sec, if buying from Lagos, what are the price ranges per Sq/m etc. or per carton and what is the coverage from a carton . cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 4:07pm On Jun 13, 2018
dejavus:

Thanks for this, forget about buying in IB for a sec, if buying from Lagos, what are the price ranges per Sq/m etc. or per carton and what is the coverage from a carton . cheers

It all depends on your choice of quality
Spanish made
China made
Or
Nigerian made? Whichever,
Chat me up on WhatsApp O81-57OOO9O8

(1) (2) (3) ... (981) (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.