Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan (1903 Views)

IGP Ibrahim Idris Sex & Corruption Allegations: Senate Sets Up 8 Man Panel / FG Names New Sambisa Shooting Range After Late Lt. Col. Abu Ali / EFCC Sets Up Four-man Panel On Diezani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Tkester: 2:34am On Aug 25, 2015
ABUJA — President Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday, set up a 13-member panel to probe two of his predecessors, late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, on procurement of arms and ammunition for the Armed Forces.

The investigative committee’s mandate is to identify irregularities and make recommendations for streamlining the procurement process in the Armed Forces.
The committee, which was constituted by the the National Security Adviser, Major-General Babagana Monguno (retd), on the directive of the President, is headed by AVM J.O.N. Ode (retd.) while Brig-Gen. Y. I. Shalangwa is secretary.
Other members are Rear Admiral J. A. Aikhomu (retd.), Rear Admiral E. Ogbor (retd.), Brig-Gen. L. Adekagun (retd.), Brig-Gen. M. Aminu-Kano (retd.), Brig-Gen N. Rimtip (retd.), Commodore T. D. Ikoli, Air Commodore U. Mohammed (retd), Air Commodore I. Shafi’i, Col A. A. Ariyibi, GP Capt C.A. Oriaku (retd) and Mr. I. Magu (EFCC).

A statement from presidential spokesman, Mr. Femi Adesina, said “the establishment of the investigative committee is in keeping with President Buhari’s determination to stamp out corruption and irregularities in Nigeria’s public service.
“It comes against the background of the myriad of challenges that the Nigerian Armed Forces have faced in the course of ongoing counter-insurgency operations in the northeast, including the apparent deficit in military platforms with its attendant negative effects on troops’ morale.

“The committee will specifically investigate allegations of non-adherence to correct equipment procurement procedures and the exclusion of relevant logistics branches from arms procurement under past administrations, which, very often resulted in the acquisition of sub-standard and unserviceable equipment.”

MUHAMMADU BUHARI

This is not a  govt of probes, but of due process, law and order
Meanwhile, the Presidency has declared that Buhari’s administration is not a government of probes but of due process, law and order.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, who spoke with Vanguard, yesterday, also stated the administration of President Buhari will not shy away from probing the government of former President Jonathan in the face of alleged fraud and corruption.
He spoke following an accusation of selective probe against Buhari by a prominent northern leader, Tanko Yakassai.
The presidential aide said there are sensitive matters arising from briefings and official engagements, which the President cannot overlook and described as laughable the allegation that Buhari has excluded other former presidents like Chief Olusegun Obasanjo because he was close to them.

He said: “Let me say that officially, nobody is under probe, even Dr. Jonathan. People should not make mistakes about the fact that what is going on are routine investigations. These are matters that the President has found on the table.
“So, there is nothing like a probe. If Jonathan will be probed, you would have heard of, may be, an administrative panel of enquiry or judicial panel of enquiry. But it hasn’t come to that. These are matters of routine engagements of due process of law and order.
“President Buhari in his campaign said his government was not going to probe into the past. We are not probing but as a responsible government, you cannot bring to the table matters such as we are dealing with and then, the President will wave them off.
“The Office of the President may be powerful but it is controlled, regulated by due process and the constitution of the country. The President cannot wave away matters that are arising from either handing-over or the routine briefings. How can anybody say he was part of the Obasanjo military regime and that’s why he’s not probing them?
Speaking further, the presidential spokesman queried why the allies of former President Jonathan would wait until now to champion the cause of probing past governments before Jonathan.

It was Jonathan’s responsibility to probe Obasanjo, Yar’Adua
He stated that it was Jonathan’s responsibility to probe the governments of Obasanjo and Yar’Adua.
“Let me tell you, if Obasanjo and Yar’Adua and all of the past governments before Jonathan needed to have been probed, why did Jonathan shy away from his responsibility? Why didn’t he probe them while he was in office? Why didn’t Tanko Yakassai ask Jonathan to probe Yar’Adua, Babangida, Obasanjo? Why do they have to wait for Buhari to come and do what he should have done?
“It is common sense. So, if he didn’t probe them, why should his people ask some other person to probe them? If they felt it was desirable to probe the past administration, as a party, why didn’t they do it themselves? Why do they have to wait for President Buhari?
“This is not a government of probes. It is a government of due process and law and order. President Buhari is dealing with the matters he has found on the table and he has no power under the constitution to wave them. If somebody had stolen Nigeria’s one billion dollars of oil, President Buhari is not authorized to wave it off under the law. He should ask questions. There is no probe going on now. People who are creating the spectre of probes in the country just want to create unnecessary fear.”
On allegation of running unilateral govt
On the issue of running a unilateral government having not appointed ministers, Shehu said the allegation was unfounded.
According to him, the government is running well and its ministries and agencies were competently manned by the permanent secretaries.
Shehu, however, assured that President Buhari would form his cabinet soon.
He said: “The constitution is very clear about the powers of the state. Legislative powers are there under the parliament. The President has not interfered with the powers of the parliament. Even when the clamour was there for him to save the parliament from the crisis of leadership, he stayed out of it.

“The executive arm of government is the first arm which President Buhari has under him and he is not interfering in the other arms of government. However, all the ministries of the government are being competently run under the supervision of the permanent secretaries.

“They consult the President and the President consults them. He consults the party and the party consults him. So, if anybody is not in the room when these matters are being discussed, don’t go out there telling people that there is no consultation going on. You cannot be an adviser to PDP president and also be an adviser to the APC government at the same time.

“The President will appoint ministers. There is no question about that. The President will decide when he will appoint his ministers. If it is auspicious for him to appoint them in September, he will.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/fg-names-13-man-panel-to-probe-yaradua-jonathan/
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Tkester: 2:35am On Aug 25, 2015
If you believe this probe is just a gimmick hit like, otherwise hit share

7 Likes 20 Shares

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by naijaking1: 3:18am On Aug 25, 2015
Looks more like a military tribunal filled with an all military men panel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by asala1: 3:23am On Aug 25, 2015
Tkester:

You are too cheap.

2 Likes

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Fleshly: 3:30am On Aug 25, 2015
Tkester:

I comment my reserve.
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Fleshly: 3:33am On Aug 25, 2015
But come to think of it, what is Garba Shehu trying to insinuate that this is just routine investigation. What's the difference between investigation and probe. Or is this another game of words like the one we saw earlier - the office of the first lady and the office of the wife of the president.

All I care about is democracy dividends!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by castrogee(m): 3:34am On Aug 25, 2015
Hmm, is all I can say.
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by adconline(m): 4:02am On Aug 25, 2015
Another military tribunal from someone with despotic traits.. How come no legal scholar to offer constitutional insight and legal perspective..their findings aren't going to be legally binding!
How come no member with accounting/financial background to offer insight on forensic auditing and procurement related areas... GMB is setting out to be a bad administrator. He doesn't trust APC loyalists; doesn't trust economists; doesn't trust lawyers; doesn't trust judges.. Naija is toast!

1 Like

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by naijaking1: 4:39am On Aug 25, 2015
adconline:
Another military tribunal from someone with despotic traits.. How come no legal scholar to offer insight and legal percent perspective..their findings aren't going to be legally binding!
How come no member with accounting/financial background to offer insight on forensic auditing and prominent related areas... GMB is setting out to be a bad administrator. He doesn't trust APC loyalists; doesn't trust economists; doesn't trust lawyers; doesn't trust judges.. Naija is toast!

Na him oh, my brother!
I was just thinking: what will happen if civilians refuse to be tried bya military tribunal
The result would probaly be the same thing any way!
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by erunz(m): 4:44am On Aug 25, 2015
Ok
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by adconline(m): 5:14am On Aug 25, 2015
naijaking1:

Na him oh, my brother!
I was just thinking: what will happen if civilians refuse to be tried bya military tribunal
The result would probaly be the same thing any way!
Don't forget that GMB refused to appear before Oputa Panel and nothing happened to him.. In fact, Naija compensated him with presidency!
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Nobody: 5:31am On Aug 25, 2015
My take is that he want to add Yar'adua so as to look as though he is investigating others and not GEJ. Is he afraid of OBJ? On the committee, is more like asking his friends to tell tarnish his opponents name.

Buhari is just a bigotry and a bad administrator.

GEJ and others that will be invited for this should not appear.

1 Like

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by WailingWailer00(m): 5:48am On Aug 25, 2015
Has Buhari gone nuts? Probe a dead man What's this mai gworo problem sef

2 Likes

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Tkester: 6:04am On Aug 25, 2015
My problem with this govt is that sometimes I begin to wonder if this govt has any blueprint or plan.

Thus far it does appear to me that the govt is somehow confused or just playing silly. I also think that some people are just on a revenge mission.

1 Like

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by bymigokeph: 6:22am On Aug 25, 2015
him dey fear OBJ - to IBB

1 Like

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by eaglechild: 6:23am On Aug 25, 2015
Yet no minister.

1 Like

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by GenbIoodykiller: 6:23am On Aug 25, 2015
expect noting less from a gworo chewing bastard burukutu sipping gorilla mumuhamado mumuharii

2 Likes

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Fleshly: 6:35am On Aug 25, 2015
Definition of probe:

1. Gimmicks used to hide incompetence. E.g. Emmanuel was probing at the job interview. Buhari probes around, ie buhari wants to hide his incompetence.

2. Giving the people a cheering news E.g. the councillor was talking about probe to the market women.

Synonyms: buhari, investigation, Garba, adesina,
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by SPG4U(m): 6:43am On Aug 25, 2015
The Dead or living yar'adua
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by lolaxavier(m): 6:44am On Aug 25, 2015
WailingWailer00:
Has Buhari gone nuts? Probe a dead man What's this mai gworo problem sef

Use your brain. He is obviously not waking up Yar'adua from the dead. Matters arising from his administration will be probed. You can't comprehend simple statement...duhhh
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by DaBullIT(m): 6:48am On Aug 25, 2015
Nothing is ever good enough for Nigerians

Days ago you were screaming fake change, gimmicks, lies, why is he not probing

Now there's a panel you same set of people are saying it's a military tribunal

Did it occur to you that the easiest probe where they'll find most evidence, the freshest evidence is the immediate past tenure?

When was IBB the president was it 2001? It didn't occur to you that maybe paper trails and evidence may not exist anymore?

Nigerian youths especially nairalanders always disappoint

You want transparency and corruption free nation but you don't want a scape goat to teach others lesson?

Do you know how many people indicted of corruption in oil sector secretly made deals to supply petrol that you all buy without queue and at 97?

[size=28pt]OMO NIGERIA, E RONU KI E TO COMMENT[/size]

1 Like

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by DaBullIT(m): 6:58am On Aug 25, 2015
Fleshly:
But come to think of it, what is Garba Shehu trying to insinuate that this is just routine investigation. What's the difference between investigation and probe. Or is this another game of words like the one we saw earlier - the office of the first lady and the office of the wife of the president.

All I care about is democracy dividends!

Let me help you

It was Jonathan’s responsibility to probe Obasanjo, Yar’Adua
He stated that it was Jonathan’s responsibility to probe the governments of Obasanjo and Yar’Adua.
“Let me tell you, if Obasanjo and Yar’Adua and all of the past governments before Jonathan needed to have been probed, why did Jonathan shy away from his responsibility? Why didn’t he probe them while he was in office? Why didn’t Tanko Yakassai ask Jonathan to probe Yar’Adua, Babangida, Obasanjo? Why do they have to wait for Buhari to come and do what he should have done?
“It is common sense. So, if he didn’t probe them, why should his people ask some other person to probe them?
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by ezeonline2(m): 7:01am On Aug 25, 2015
This man is a noice maker.
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by WailingWailer00(m): 7:21am On Aug 25, 2015
lolaxavier:

Use your brain. He is obviously not waking up Yar'adua from the dead. Matters arising from his administration will be probed. You can't comprehend simple statement...duhhh
Please the last thing I need is getting into an argument with a yellowbar person this morning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by kenedy175(m): 7:22am On Aug 25, 2015
Anything that will make Nigeria a better place should be done but without sentiments
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Teryfik(m): 7:36am On Aug 25, 2015
D brig.genera's are quite much,am sure all legal practioners are kworupt....meanwhile check my signature
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by omenka(m): 8:00am On Aug 25, 2015
naijaking1:
Looks more like a military tribunal filled with an all military men panel.
It is a military inquiry and who best to handle it than themselves?? Also, remember we have accountants, forensic experts, lawyers, doctors etc in the military. Not all military men are combatants.
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Anasko(m): 8:40am On Aug 25, 2015
adconline:
Another military tribunal from someone with despotic traits.. How come no legal scholar to offer constitutional insight and legal perspective..their findings aren't going to be legally binding!
How come no member with accounting/financial background to offer insight on forensic auditing and procurement related areas... GMB is setting out to be a bad administrator. He doesn't trust APC loyalists; doesn't trust economists; doesn't trust lawyers; doesn't trust judges.. Naija is toast!
why people cannot understand, all these professions you are mentioning are there in Nigerian Defence Academy. be it economists, accountants, so on and so forth. and this is
military affair since it involves arms procurement.
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by adconline(m): 12:22pm On Aug 25, 2015
Anasko:
why people cannot understand, all these professions you are mentioning are there in Nigerian Defence Academy. be it economists, accountants, so on and so forth. and this is
military affair since it involves arms procurement.
We don't need military tribunal in a democractic era. Can u name any Of these guys that have such backgrounds?? OBJ used Oputa Panel and Buhari refused to appear. This committe has no prosecuting and legal powed. Another waste of time and money.
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Blastos(m): 12:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
GODWIN
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by zik4ever: 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2015
Just asking -what's your take on asking retired military officers to probe "their colleagues"? Hope they'll do an honest and thorough job?
Re: FG Names 13-man Panel To Probe Yar’adua, Jonathan by Fleshly: 2:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
That govt can probe whoever is a simple truth. But we must not forget that probing is not in anyway the reason why he is there. I believe that dis probe issue is just time consuming and will produce no tangible results by the end of the day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Shoot One, Arrest 47 As MASSOB Marks 16 Years Annivrsary / Power Supply Drops By 725MW In 24 Hours To 3,107 MW - PUNCH / Amaechi Storms Out Of Radio As Interviewer Calls For Buhari’s Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.