Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,618 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Steps On How To End A Relationship. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Steps On How To End A Relationship. (489 Views)

My Brother Wants To End His Marriage Because Of A Prophecy / Two Questions To End A Debate With An Athiest / Bishop Sam Zuga Attempts To End Fulani Herdsmen & Tiv Farmer War (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps On How To End A Relationship. by Jeromejnr(m): 10:00am On Aug 25, 2015
Step #1: WHEN TO DO IT

Ideally
You want to have the break-up conversation when there’s plenty of time to talk in private, faceto-face, with few distractions.

There’s never a good time
Even if he’s in a great mood, or she’s had a bad day at work, don’t make excuses. Decide to do it, and do it.

An exception
If your partner is going through something traumatic, such as a health scare or the death of a loved one, the more humane thing to do is postpone the breakup until that difficult period is over.

Step #2: WHERE TO DO IT

In private
During dinner (their house may be best because then you can leave). Or have the talk while taking a walk or doing something outside in nice weather, as it’s healthy to physically move when you’re digesting emotional news.

In public
Only if you fear for your safety.

Step #3: WHAT TO SAY

Don’t
Announce beforehand that “We need to talk.”

Do
Broach the subject only when you’re ready to start talking. Try: “I’ve been struggling with something for a while, and I’d like to come out with it…” Be honest about your reasons, but don’t point fingers or declare what you don’t like about your partner. Rather, say, “This is what I’ve discovered over time is missing.” The point is that it’s just a mismatch.

Avoid
Infuriating clichés, such as “It’s not you, it’s me” or “This is hurting me as much as it’s hurting you.”

Step #4: REACTING TO THE REACTION

Be resolute
Don’t backpedal and suggest you maybe can work it out, which just prolongs the inevitable.

Say you’re sorry
Sit with your partner’s tears and apologize for causing pain. If your partner gets mean and starts hurling insults, don’t fight back. Just say, “I’m sorry, I know it hurts.” And then listen.

Step #5: POST-BREAKUP ETIQUETTE
Generally, it’s best to cut off all contact, but you may continue to talk if your partner was shocked by the break up and needs more questions answered in order to process the situation. Follow their lead, and don’t initiate contact — especially if you’re second-guessing your decision — it will only cause confusion.

Definitely NOT
No post-breakup sex, and don’t try to be friends right away. It sends mixed signals and the dumpee may think there’s a chance to get you back.
Re: Steps On How To End A Relationship. by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 25, 2015
What if I just disappear into thing air without telling the person?
Re: Steps On How To End A Relationship. by Jeromejnr(m): 10:07am On Aug 25, 2015
pinkbee:
What if I just disappear into thing air without telling the person?

Then when your husband in future disappears without telling you don't panic. grin
Re: Steps On How To End A Relationship. by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Then when your husband in future disappears without telling you don't panic. grin

That's a different thing because we have to go to court. It's a legal union.

But in d case of bf, I'll just walk away without telling, change my phone number n residence. Just like that.

(1) (Reply)

When Our Faith Wavers / Why You Feel Ashamed After Masturbation / Worrying: The Silent Killer!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.