Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. (3393 Views)

Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals / MONARCH’S STOOL: Ohu, Amadi Caste Systems Tear Enugu Community Apart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by ferguson17(m): 9:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
This issue of 'OUTCAST' (Osu or Ohu) has been bothering me for a long time, so i will love everyone to air thier view on this. Does it still functioning properly in Igboland.
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by donholy28(m): 9:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
No more in existence
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by Mimiflourish(f): 9:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
I think its still exist in some part of imo state.
I used to have a relative ( Christian )who dated this lady for close to a decade, she was with him when he had nothing and things eventually improved for him ,alas when he wanted to get married, he suddenly remembered she was osu and Married someone else.

So it's still in practice.
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by omokab: 10:01pm On Aug 25, 2015
They are still in existence. I know the case of imo state but I can't talk of other igbo speaking state. The most annoying thing there is that,they are being rejected at this modernize age. As a copper serving in owerri local government then, I saw one beautiful lady in that village on Eke(market) day,I so admire the girl. So I told one guy from that village that I'm well close with that I like the girl. The guy told me that, who will marry her apart from her people or yoruba from outside that he's Osu. That was the first time I know something about osu. Last year, a friend wanted to brake the hatred his people have for the outcast, he vowed to marry one lady from osu family. The family of that guy also vowed that he will be rejected and disown if he goes ahead to marry Osu. The problem became a serious one when the family of the lady has fixed the day of the wedding but the guy later surrender to the wishes of his family and ran away.
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by bigfrancis21: 7:19am On Aug 26, 2015
omokab:
They are still in existence. I know the case of imo state but I can't talk of other igbo speaking state. The most annoying thing there is that,they are being rejected at this modernize age. As a copper serving in owerri local government then, I saw one beautiful lady in that village on Eke(market) day,I so admire the girl. So I told one guy from that village that I'm well close with that I like the girl. The guy told me that, who will marry her apart from her people or yoruba from outside that he's Osu. That was the first time I know something about osu. Last year, a friend wanted to brake the hatred his people have for the outcast, he vowed to marry one lady from osu family. The family of that guy also vowed that he will be rejected and disown if he goes ahead to marry Osu. The problem became a serious one when the family of the lady has fixed the day of the wedding but the guy later surrender to the wishes of his family and ran away.

Unfortunately, the issue of Osu still exists in pockets of Igboland, especially in Imo state. In the case of your friend wanting to marry from an 'Osu' family, according to Igbo traditions, any diala (freeborn) who marries an osu or into an Osu family 'automatically' becomes an Osu, including the family of the diala. That explains the guy's family's recalcitrant stance with the marriage plans.

The practice has got to stop as it is indiscriminate practise amongst ourselves in this age of enlightenment and truth.

@bold...I guess this explains the majority of Yoruba man-Igbo woman marriages in Igboland with the ladies coming mostly from Imo state.
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by macof(m): 1:03am On Aug 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Unfortunately, the issue of Osu still exists in pockets of Igboland, especially in Imo state. In the case of your friend wanting to marry from an 'Osu' family, according to Igbo traditions, any diala (freeborn) who marries an osu or into an Osu family 'automatically' becomes an Osu, including the family of the diala. That explains the guy's family's recalcitrant stance with the marriage plans.

The practice has got to stop as it is indiscriminate practise amongst ourselves in this age of enlightenment and truth.

@bold...I guess this explains the majority of Yoruba man-Igbo woman marriages in Igboland with the ladies coming mostly from Imo state.

grin grin grin how do you know they are coming from Imo state?
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by macof(m): 1:03am On Aug 27, 2015
You do a survey? undecided
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by bigfrancis21: 1:16am On Aug 28, 2015
macof:

grin grin grin how do you know they are coming from Imo state?

Many Yoruba Igbo weddings I've seen tend to tilt a lot towards the ladies coming from Imo state. This is something I have personally noticed. Take a quick survey of Yoruba-Igbo weddings on YouTube and notice that the Igbo traditional weddings usually held at the lady's place is often in Imo state.

Reading through the guy's comment, it sort of became clearer that it could be a possible reason for the high prevalence of Imo state ladies amongst Igbo ladies married to Yoruba guys.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by Lordave: 11:59am On Aug 28, 2015
Mimiflourish:
I think its still exist in some part of imo state.
I used to have a relative ( Christian )who dated this lady for close to a decade, she was with him when he had nothing and things eventually improved for him ,alas when he wanted to get married, he suddenly remembered she was osu and Married someone else.

So it's still in practice.
Shut up and stop spewing rubbish!

Anybody that wants to prove the Osu practice is still in existence in Igboland tells this your lame marriage story.
Are you from Imo state? If you're not shut up and stop spreading hearsays as facts.

Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by Lordave: 12:07pm On Aug 28, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Where in Imo state is Osu being practised?

If you want to insult Yorubas find another way of doing it and not make Imolites scapegoats in your bigotry.

Why are the affected people not crying out? Why is it that most people that come here to prove the practice is still on always say "My friend that wanted to marry so so so lady backed out when he discovered that she's an osu? Or her parents threatened to disown her if she dares Mary that osu boy"?
You guys should categorically state what is fact and not hearsays, please.
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by Lordave: 12:16pm On Aug 28, 2015
omokab:

The phlegm you regurgitated up there is just enough for everybody, both sane and insane to conclude you're a schmuck.

People might think I saw your incoherent and senseless jargon before quoting the guys above.
Re: Does "OUTCAST" (osu Or Ohu) Exist In Igbo Land. by Mimiflourish(f): 11:00am On Aug 29, 2015
Lordave:
Shut up and stop spewing rubbish!

Anybody that wants to prove the Osu practice is still in existence in Igboland tells this your lame marriage story.
Are you from Imo state? If you're not shut up and stop spreading hearsays as facts.

g

I'm sorry to have annoyed you!
And yes my mum is from imo state and I grew up there.
She's from Owerri west, Nekede to be presise.
And the story I just told isn't hear say, it something I witnessed, the man was my mums relative and I know the lady he once dated personally.
You do not have to insult people to disagree with them or get your point across!

Thank you!

(1) (Reply)

Egungun (masquerade) Festival Commences In Ibadan / Heard About Crocodile Scar? Don't Dare Look If You Are Scared Of BLOOD / Igbo Slaves In Saint Lucia: Slave Census Of 1815

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.