Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,000 members, 7,863,593 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:10 PM

Marriage Is Just A Piece Of Paper? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Is Just A Piece Of Paper? (767 Views)

My Marriage Is Being Tested. I Need Your Advice / My Marriage Is At The Brink Of Collapse Help Me / My Sister's Marriage Is About Hitting The Rocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Is Just A Piece Of Paper? by jmoore(m): 3:45pm On Aug 26, 2015

"Marriage is just a piece of paper."

This is such a ridiculous statement I can't believe people actually get away with using it as an excuse. If it's just a piece of paper, if marriage really is so "meaningless", then why are these people so terrified of it? Why not do it, if it's just a meaningless piece of paper? What difference would it make?

Marriage is much, much more than a piece of paper, and that the act of saying vows to each other and committing to lifetime love is what's important, not the certificate you can hang on your wall later. It isn't as simple as mumbling a few words and having someone pronounce you husband and wife, it's a serious symbolic gesture you make to each other that elevates your relationship to the ultimate level - and that's what people who call it "just a piece of paper" are afraid of.

Whenever someone uses this line, tell him or her straight out - You know it's more than that, otherwise you wouldn't be so afraid of doing it.

culled from >>http://www.andtheylivedhappilyeverafter.com/how-to-win-the-argument-for-marriage.html

I have lost count of how many times I have heard this over the years. ‘It’s just a piece of paper.’ Those who make that statement often declare that they are doing “what is right for them” and that make sense to them. But in the fuller picture, especially when it comes to those who profess faith in Jesus Christ, is that really true?

We’d like you to consider a few points, hoping you will see that this “piece of paper” and your hesitation to sign it, really isn’t as “right” as you might have thought previously.

One point to consider is its value:

“‘It’s just a piece of paper’ they say. The deed to your house is ‘just a piece of paper.’ Your apartment lease agreement, your car registration, your check on payday, your driver’s license and so many more things qualify under the title of ‘just a piece of paper.’ But you make sure that you have these in place, and you are very protective of them. High school diplomas, certificates of completion, college degrees are all ‘pieces of paper.’ But, they are highly valued. Shouldn’t you value the most important relationship in your life at least as much as you do your house, car, or level of education?” (Charles Perkins, from article “It’s Just a Piece of Paper”)

Hannah, in another article brought up a few additional points that it might be good for you to consider. She wrote:

“I must have heard that old saying about marriage just being a piece of paper a million times from people who were saying, why bother getting married? However; there really is more to marriage than a piece of paper… Because a couple is married it does give couples many more options legally in a number of various areas.

“…Couples that believe marriage is just a piece of paper are not only short changing themselves, but their partner as well.

“…Couples who think it’s just a piece of paper have a lot to learn, including about trust.

“…What stimulated me to write this article is that I finally realized what was going on. In one sense some couples are saying it’s just a piece of paper, but then I got to thinking, if it’s just a piece of paper why are you so afraid of it? In that respect, what they’re saying does not make any sense. Those who have been married and had enough courage to put their love on the line for the one they love, and to commit for a lifetime to love, honor, and cherish are way ahead of those whose say, no promises here, let’s just see how it all goes!” (From an article titled, “Marriage vs. the Piece of Paper Syndrome,” which was formerly posted on the Internet)

culled from http://marriagemissions.com/is-the-marriage-license-just-a-piece-of-paper/

We’ve got the smartest commenters EVER. MixedUpinVegas gave the money response to a young lady said that “marriage was a piece of paper,” on this post and it was so good I thought it deserved it’s own post.

A piece of paper? Yes, an important one. Birth certificates are just a piece of paper–try to get a drivers’ license, a Social Security card or any other benefit without it. Pieces of paper ARE important. To demean marriage as “just a piece of paper” shows that you don’t know diddly about how important some pieces of paper are. Please educate yourself, my sister; you have a LOT to learn.

If your commitment to your “partner” and any children you might have is a strong, lasting one, why WOULDN’T you marry? (And if it isn’t why would you have children with a transient boo?) Why wouldn’t you want to be able to visit your partner in the hospital, help make treatment decisions and share in his health insurance and other work-related benefits for yourself and any children you might have?

Speaking of children, why wouldn’t you want your children to be born legitimate? Have the legal right to his share of any inheritances and benefits that might accrue to him? Have the unquestioned right to his support and assistance in their education and upbringing? Why would you deny them the same rights and privileges that other children born in wedlock have?

Why wouldn’t you ensure the property rights of both parties to the marital assets, particularly in the case of the untimely death of one partner? Why wouldn’t you want to be in a position to own your communal home without estate taxes, collect your partner’s life insurance, Social Security and have the benefit of your partner’s IRA, bank accounts and personal property (cars, ect.?) automatically come to you and your children?

culled from http://www.beyondblackwhite.com/response-marriage-piece-paper-comment/

Re: Marriage Is Just A Piece Of Paper? by raumdeuter: 3:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
It has been proven that children born into marriage do better than those born into single parent households

If we want to simplify it then everything is just a piece of paper. The birth certificate is a piece of paper, death cert, The difference between a person who graduated and one who dropped out in final year is apiece of paper, CHeckbook is just a piece of paper, NYSC is just a piece of paper

Marriage has been proven to be a better environment to raise children than any other form of human association

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Just A Piece Of Paper? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 26, 2015
smiley
Re: Marriage Is Just A Piece Of Paper? by lilmax(m): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2015
raumdeuter:
It has been proven that children born into marriage do better than those born into single parent households

If we want to simplify it then everything is just a piece of paper. The birth certificate is a piece of paper, death cert, The difference between a person who graduated and one who dropped out in final year is apiece of paper, CHeckbook is just a piece of paper, NYSC is just a piece of paper

Marriage has been proven to be a better environment to raise children than any other form of human association
cool

(1) (Reply)

She's Not A Gold Digger. / Advice Pls, Who Should Resign Among Them / Gifts For Mothers Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.