Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) (2440 Views)

Man With World Longest Fingernails Finally Cuts Them Off (graphic Photos) / Paul Okoye Excited Over His Twin Babies, Says his home is complete / Meet The Woman Who Claims To Have The World’s Longest Legs (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by kolinton1: 5:15am On Aug 27, 2015
Construction of the world's longest - and deepest - railway tunnel, in Switzerland, is complete.

The NEAT Gotthard Base Tunnel, when it opens to the public on June 1 2016, will transport passengers from Zurich to Milan in two hours and 50 minutes, shaving almost an hour off the current travel time.

Measuring 35 miles, it surpasses Japan’s 14.5-mile Seikan Tunnel, which connects the main island of Honshu with the northern island of Hokkaido.

Work began on the ambitious project, which was funded by Switzerland at cost of around $10.3 billion or £6.5 billion, 20 years ago in 1996.

Over 2,000 workers were drafted in to excavate more than two million truck loads of earth from as deep as 8,000 below the surface of the earth.

Due to the rugged terrain of the alps, connecting important cities, such as Milan and Zurich is no mean feat, but thanks to the tunnel being almost completely flat along its whole length, trains will soon be able to travel at more than 150 miles per hour.

Excavation involved enormous tunnel boring machines cutting through almost 100 feet of rock every day. It was a dangerous process, and tragically eight workers died during construction

Geneva newspaper, TDG, reports that the first safety tests will take place in October. All scenarios will be considered and tested, said Marco Hirzel of Alptransit Gotthard at a press conference on August 24.

'After opening the tunnel, it will be the safest stretch of the Swiss railway network,' Renzo Simoni, CEO of AlpTransit Gotthard, told the newspaper.

In January, 1,000 people will be selected to take the maiden voyage.

SOURCE: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3211503/35-miles-2-million-truck-loads-earth-6-5-billion-later-Switzerland-completes-work-world-s-longest-tunnel-8-000-feet-beneath-alps.html

http://www.nairaroot.com/worlds-longest-and-deepest-railway-tunnel/#.Vd6OLciL3IU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by nusta(m): 5:17am On Aug 27, 2015
Amazing engineering feat!
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by ukaegbuikedia: 5:21am On Aug 27, 2015
great achievers of our time.
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by laurel03(m): 5:28am On Aug 27, 2015
Good job jare not like 9ja dt entered guinness book of record on shayo level... Largest poster in d world..

4 Likes

Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by derrick333(m): 5:29am On Aug 27, 2015
C rail !! 9jà. Ex president go de Bragg. 4 60's locomotive train way wheelbarrow fast pass,wen som countries de use trrain way fast pass plane ,God de

1 Like

Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by sentaljohn(m): 5:43am On Aug 27, 2015
I love engineering.... looking forward to seeing China break this record
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by estyvino(m): 6:45am On Aug 27, 2015
We go break that record before Buhari leave office. Abi?
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by DaGC(m): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2015
derrick333:
C rail !! 9jà. Ex president go de Bragg. 4 60's locomotive train way wheelbarrow fast pass,wen som countries de use trrain way fast pass plane ,God de

Well, he's out. We shall see if the current one can give us something like this. FYI, the thread was about the rail and not the trains.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by derrick333(m): 9:04am On Aug 27, 2015
DaGC:

Well, he's out. We shall see if the current one can give us something like this. FYI, the thread was about the rail and not the trains.
We tank Jah ,evn if d recent 1 doesn't do digital,I dnt tink u shud Brag abt d analog, am nt for ani 1 if him4k up too? Away ,we go pursue am
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by redvektor(m): 9:06am On Aug 27, 2015
I fink is time to break aso rock and use it as an express way linking duara
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 9:07am On Aug 27, 2015
Interesting..
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by Uchizzy(m): 9:09am On Aug 27, 2015
I will visit it next week...
pls remind me in case I forget.
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by DaGC(m): 9:12am On Aug 27, 2015
derrick333:

We tank Jah ,evn if d recent 1 doesn't do digital,I dnt tink u shud Brag abt d analog, am nt for ani 1 if him4k up too? Away ,we go pursue am

You should brag about the 'analogue' especially after many decades, the country had a none existing railway sector. And you also said that it won't matter even if the current one doesn't go 'digital' according to you.

Seems to me, you blatantly just don't like the former. Otherwise, it would have mattered if the present one did something in the sector.
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by derrick333(m): 9:24am On Aug 27, 2015
DaGC:

You should brag about the 'analogue' especially after many decades, the country had a none existing railway sector. And you also said that it won't matter even if the current one doesn't go 'digital' according to you.

Seems to me, you blatantly just don't like the former. Otherwise, it would have mattered if the present one did something in the sector.
Read btw d lines,I said even if de cant go digital de shuldnt Bragg abt d analogue,reforblishing our 1917 train @list is a welcm development evn if oda world doesn't recognize it ani more,but braggin abt it ,isn't worth it weda d former or current ,I was mad at d ex n his wife bragin abt d analogue
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by 400billionman: 12:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
While at this, Nigerian politicians are stealing, Boko haram is bombing, Fulani are killing..

The oldest surviving crime in Nigeria being embezzlement of public funds. Men convicted of embezzlement of huge funds should be shot. Life in prison is not easy. Just end them.

If people who carry only 1kg of cocaine are shot in Asia, why shouldn't someone whole stole over N1bn of public funds. ?

1 Like

Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2015
Awesome, May God help Nigeria oooo. Nigerian govt of d past re scammers. Pdp govt see ur life.
Re: The World’s Longest And Deepest – Railway Tunnel Is Complete (SEE PHOTOS) by omowolewa: 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2015
Amazing

(1) (Reply)

Diana Ross, 71, Steps Out With Baby Bump / Charity From Surulere Lagos Shares Dangerous Expo Sing Photo / See What “the Game Of Thrones” Cast Actually Looks Like In Real Life (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.