Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,093 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

"Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / "Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes (1126 Views)

Reviewing Songs Released By African Artistes In The Last 7 Days / Job-Employment In Real Estate Business[Earn BIG]-Kiyosaki & Donald Trump Advises / FRESH MUSIC: Emma Nyra – “work Hard” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes by TimothyNkenu: 6:24pm On Aug 28, 2015

By Nkenu Timothy

Meet the talented rising star that is Simi. Her work ethic, experience, and song releases so far make her someone to watch in the years to come. Read the full interview below:

Tell us a little about yourself?

My name is Simisola Ogunleye, more commonly known as SIMI. I’m an Afro-Pop singer and I’m also a professional Songwriter and Sound Engineer.

How was it like growing up?

Growing up was fun. I was kind of a tomboy because I was the only girl with three older brothers. I didn’t have too much music in my background; my parents and siblings weren’t very big on music, although my eldest brother used to teach me songs from his school.

When did you start music?

Professionally, music started for me in 2008 when I released my gospel album “Ogaju”. That album was produced entirely by Samklef. It had songs like “Ara ile” and “Ogaju”. Before then, I was in a group called “Outstanding”, and my time in that group were some of my most formative years in music.

Your greatest inspiration?

God is my greatest inspiration.

You have a deal with X3M Music, an award nomination and your song “JAMB Question” is making waves already. What does that mean to you?

It means the world. It also reminds me that I have so much more to achieve and many more challenges to conquer. Every day I am thankful. I have had so many years of growth and learning. I still have so much to learn and do – but I’m very grateful to God and the beautiful SIMI ARMY for the things I’ve been able to achieve and access.

Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

To be honest, I don’t really have limits in my head with regards to time. In five years, I see myself living my dreams in the biggest way possible and in the best of my capacities. And the thing is, my dreams right now might seem too small in five years’ time. So, no limits.

What inspires your unique style?

I want people to listen to me and never mistake me for someone else. I don’t want to be second best to anyone in my niche. This definitely drives me to stand out.

There are lots of African artists whose talent might never be revealed, what do you think is the reason behind this?

I have no idea! I certainly don’t have all the answers, but I do believe that if you are gifted and you really love the art, put your everything into it – your time will come.

African artistes (established) have complained about being side-lined in the international scene; in your opinion, why does this happen and what can be done to stop it?

It probably happens because it’s been happening for a while without repercussions, and they got comfortable. I think if we, as artists, stand together and remain firm, it will change. Change is gradual though, so we also have to admit that African music is getting way more recognition than it did in the past.

Any honest advice for upcoming artists in Africa?

Work hard!

Source: http://www.chicamod.com/artist-simi-speaks-openly-of-experiences-inspiration-why-african-artists-have-been-side-lined-internationally/
Re: "Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes by TimothyNkenu: 6:25pm On Aug 28, 2015
cc Airforce1 Lalasticlala Ishilove
Re: "Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes by GIYAZZ(m): 8:39pm On Aug 28, 2015
Nice one! I enjoyed the interview. And this Simi girl, wow I just love her so much! She possesses a strong and unique vocal prowess!

She's a legend in the making, I tell ya!

I loved the hook she did on Blaqbonez' By my side too. It was awesome mehn! She was sounding so natural and damn!!!

Simi is simply the best mehn. . . . And yes, I got your advice bae. And I'm looking forward to working with you. wink
Re: "Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 28, 2015
Simi is a gift to d industry.... we don't have enough 'alternative' artists. Jamb Question is so sweet and cute grin

1 Like

Re: "Work Hard": Simi Advises Upcoming African Artistes by TimothyNkenu: 10:21pm On Sep 01, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Simi is a gift to d industry.... we don't have enough 'alternative' artists. Jamb Question is so sweet and cute grin

Very true

(1) (Reply)

Linkin Park Singer Chester Benington Is Dead!!! / Wiz Khalifa – No Dirt Mp3 Download / Aloba Fresh – Saheed Esu (soundtrack)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.