Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,053 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Court Grants Bail To "my Pikin" Suspects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Grants Bail To "my Pikin" Suspects (661 Views)

Court Grants Metuh N600m Bail / Diezani Alison-Madueke Released On Bail - TVC News / Terrorism Trial: Court Grants Ndume Permission To Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Court Grants Bail To "my Pikin" Suspects by moneygurl: 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2009
A Nigerian court Tuesday released on bail three suspects facing murder charges for producing an adulterated teething drug that killed 84 children.

The trio, who have been in prison custody since their first appearance in court on March 5, are employees of Barewa Pharmaceuticals, manufacturer of the teething drug "My Pikin".

Lagos high court judge Ikechukwu Okeke said each man should deposit the equivalent of 69,000 dollars (52,000 euros) and provide a surety with property in an upmarket area of the city.

The suspects -- Kola Okunola, Adeyemo Abiodun and Egbele Eromosele -- should also reappear in court on May 4 for the next hearing.

The children, aged between two months and seven years, died from renal failure after taking the painkiller later discovered to contain high levels of diethylene glycol, a poisonous solvent mostly used in brake fluid and as an engine coolant.

The suspects have pleaded not guilty to charges of intent to murder and cause bodily harm to the public.

If convicted, they face a maximum of 15 years in prison or a fine of 3,500 dollars (2,600 euros).

Fake and adulterated drugs are common in Nigeria because of the high cost of imported ones.

In 1990, 109 children died after taking paracetamol laced with a different compound similar to diethylene glycol and also used in engine coolants.

In a high profile multi-billion dollar case, Nigeria has sued US drug maker Pfizer after 11 children are alleged to have died and 189 others suffered handicaps or deformities after taking a meningitis drug during a trial in 1996.

Pfizer on February 26 issued a statement from its US headquarters saying that a settlement "was in the best interests of all parties" but negotiations were ongoing, apparently towards an out of court deal.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iu0fZCjBulbYG_HTE_qKatoT8vKQ

(1) (Reply)

Tragic Love *custom's Officer Throws Wife From 3-storey Building / Okiro Orders Ebonyi To Withdraw Militia From Nigercem / Abia: ‘okada Accidents Claimed 1,300 In 6 Months’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.