Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,978 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Dark Skin VS Light Skin - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dark Skin VS Light Skin (4573 Views)

First Modern Britons Had 'dark To Black' Skin, Cheddar Man DNA Analysis Reveals / The Dark Remote Control Power / The Dark Side Of Technology And Human Advancement. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 02, 2015
fightforchange1:
I am light skinned and I love my dark skinned sisters they are short of fabulous. I am not the type of light skinned person that is described in this post....I love my complexion but I love dark skin as well...its great...
nothing like a dark and lovely commercial for those of you that live in the usa...I love those commercials....
and I love dark skinned men...
nake me feel like royalty..... grin cheesy

black power.

Of course you like dark skinned men... ha smh.
Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by fightforchange1(f): 11:43pm On Sep 02, 2015
aim5:

Of course you like dark skinned men... ha smh.
lol.... wink
you know wassup.
Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by fightforchange1(f): 11:49pm On Sep 02, 2015
KILLIN IT!

Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by bigfrancis21: 3:19am On Sep 03, 2015
anonymous6:

you are right but the difference between you and Tommy is, Tommy is plain nutts and rude with his criticism while you are articulate and respectful about your criticism. However would it make a difference how criticism is done in the african american community because as you said which I agree with most african americans don't listen to constructive criticism at all and either label it as HATERS or attack the person in full force; Oprah, Bill Cosby(yup another topic), Charles Barkley, Chris Rock and many others have felt the brunt of it from their own community when they criticize the community. Even though thats the case Tommy seems to be adding fuel to the fire in his own community.

Right. Criticism when done in a constructive way still does not go down well with the AAs. One trait amongst AAs that pisses me off is the 'I dont care attitude' that most of them have. They do things without thinking about the consequences or public image. I understand that growing up amidst racism and institutionalized racism they had to grow a tough skin to be able to survive but I think it has gotten to the extent that they don't care at all to listen again. I am speaking from personal experience myself. An AA male colleague of mine just would never take correction from our supervisor without giving her stories of his so-called life circumstances no one cares about to listen. It doesn't matter where you've been or where you're from. Just listen, take corrections and do your work. He never listens to corrections without wallowing in stories of self-pity, how he should be excused for his unprofessional behaviour because, according to him, he grew up in the streets and nearly almost went to jail. This guy would leave the work environment at will in the middle of a very busy time with customers to go downstairs and roam about, or plainly sit down while others are busy attending to customers, or takes stuff anyhow as he likes to take home, or won't take out the trash that is his job to do. As soon as our supervisor leaves for the day, this guy just doesn't do sh!t anymore (called eye service in Nigeria). In fact, he has free 1 hour or 2 being paid for doing nothing. He zooms off and next you'll see him is 5 minutes nearing his clock out time he comes to 'show face'. You remind him to take out the trash as he is leaving and he gets all defensive with you and starts throwing a tantrum. Next, he calls you a hater and for the next couple of weeks he'll come to work and won't talk to you, expecting to be pampered for simply trying to correct him. Maybe his momma at home raised him pampering him like a baby but you don't expect people at work to pamper a full grown adult man in his late 40s. Stop being a child and grow up. You can't tell him nothing. We understand that you were lucky in life by not going to jail, but the past is past and you are being given a chance to make things right. Accept that you have issues about yourself to work on and improve on yourself. Quit giving silly excuses for being plain lazy and unprofessional at work. Having considered his issue deeply, I came up with an idea on how to tame his excesses and shared it with others which they all liked and adopted. 1, 2, 3 weeks passed, we could see the effect wearing off on him. As we speak, there has been much improvement. He has become more professional, stopped leaving at intervals when we are busy, stopped 'stealing' office stuff to take home etc. He still has one final issue which we are still working on to get him to stop - being loud-mouthed and talking too much. Anyway, that's for another day.

Plus several other personal encounters i've had with others.

Self-criticism is quite a hard job for many in the AA community to do and that is the only way we learn and grow.

I honestly think that Tommy is doing the right thing because even constructive criticism wouldn't work neither with the audience of his message. I guess he knows his people too well to know better.

Also, don't take offense at his videos. When he refers to 'black women' in his videos, he refers specifically to AA women.

1 Like

Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by anonymous6(f): 5:00am On Sep 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Right. Criticism when done in a constructive way still does not go down well with the AAs. One trait amongst AAs that pisses me off is the 'I dont care attitude' that most of them have. They do things without thinking about the consequences or public image. I understand that growing up amidst racism and institutionalized racism they had to grow a tough skin to be able to survive but I think it has gotten to the extent that they don't care at all to listen again. I am speaking from personal experience myself. An AA male colleague of mine just would never take correction from our supervisor without giving her stories of his so-called life circumstances no one cares about to listen. It doesn't matter where you've been or where you're from. Just listen, take corrections and do your work. He never listens to corrections without wallowing in stories of self-pity, how he should be excused for his unprofessional behaviour because, according to him, he grew up in the streets and nearly almost went to jail. This guy would leave the work environment at will in the middle of a very busy time with customers to go downstairs and roam about, or plainly sit down while others are busy attending to customers, or takes stuff anyhow as he likes to take home, or won't take out the trash that he is his job to do. As soon as our supervisor leaves for the day, this guy just doesn't do sh!t anymore (called eye service in Nigeria). In fact, he has free 1 hour or 2 being paid for doing nothing. He zooms off and next you'll see him is 5 minutes nearing his clock out time he comes to 'show face'. You remind him to take out the trash as he is leaving and he gets all defensive with you and starts throwing a tantrum. Next, he calls you a hater and for the next couple of weeks he'll come to work and won't talk to you, expecting to be pampered for simply trying to correct him. Maybe his momma at home raised him pampering him like a baby but you don't expect people at work to pamper a full grown adult man in his late 40s. Stop being a child and grow up. You can't tell him nothing. We understand that you were lucky in life by not going to jail, but the past is past and you are being given a chance to make things right. Accept that you have issues about yourself to work on and improve on yourself. Quit giving silly excuse for being plain lazy and unprofessional at work. Having considered his issue deeply, I came up with an idea on how to tame his excesses and shared it with others which they all liked and adopted. 1, 2, 3 weeks passed, we could see the effect wearing off on him. As we speak, there has been much improvement. He has become more professional, stopped leaving at intervals when we are busy, stopped 'stealing' office stuff to take home etc. He still has one final issue which we are still working on to get him to stop - being loud-mouthed and talking too much. Anyway, that's for another day.

Plus several other personal encounters i've had with others.

Self-criticism is quite a hard job for many in the AA community to do and that is the only way we learn and grow.

I honestly think that Tommy is doing the right thing because even constructive criticism wouldn't work neither with the audience of his message. I guess he knows his people to well to know better.

We'll you summed it up and are correct. I give you kudos for dealing with that dude at your job, I have bumped into people like that in my job and I just ignored them and went about my business. That mentality needs to be wiped out of the african American community, for that community to move forward. I don't agree with tommy way of how he criticize but I do agree with your assessment of him that he knows more about his community then you and me do.
Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 03, 2015
fightforchange1:

lol.... wink
you know wassup.

Are you also anonymous6?
Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by fightforchange1(f): 7:22am On Sep 03, 2015
aim5:

Are you also anonymous6?

Nope.
Y?
Re: Dark Skin VS Light Skin by Nobody: 7:26am On Sep 03, 2015
fightforchange1:

Nope.
Y?

Pictures looked similar that's all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which State In Nigeria Has The Tallest And Shortest People. / I'm Officially Nigerian / Why Yoruba Culture Accommodates Success In Outsiders - Farouk Martins Aresa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.