Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,927 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria (1011 Views)

Restructuring: It Will Not Be Easy For The North To Give Up Its Advantages - NEF / South-East Governors Almost Mobilized Buses, Trucks To Evacuate Igbos From North / Challenges Of Leadership In Nigeria: A Review By Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by Justcash(m): 2:06pm On Aug 30, 2015
For over 30 years, Northern Nigeria dominated political power in Nigeria. It was only in 1999 that real political influence passed to the Southern part of Nigeria till GEJ lost in 2015.

I have heard a lot of people screaming that southern leaders did not make a difference in power. As a result, I have decided to show five major developmental differences that were made by Southern Nigeria leaders.

1. Telecom Revolution (GSM): before 1999, I use to hear that Ghanaian market women use GSM phones to make calls and transact their businesses. We did not have GSMs in Nigeria at that time. It was so shameful. It took the emergence of Southern Nigeria leaders to bring GSM to Nigeria.

2. Banking Sector Revolution: before 1999, the Nigerian banking sector was in an abysmal state. It was not robust and the government did nothing about it. It took the emergence of southern Nigeria leaders to change that sector. It became robust and independent.

3. Foreign Direct Investments: the rate of FDI increased as Southern leaders emerged. The employment of technocrats, without bias, helped this course. At the moment, Nigeria has moved into manufacturing vehicles and even building military hardware. before 1999, the best Nigeria could do was assembling products. These days, products are manufactured at home and more foreign companies are establishing their firms in Nigeria.

4. A Robust Aviation Sector and Space Program: Nigeria experienced growth in the aviation sector under Southern Leaders. Before 1999, that sector was dead with many flying coffins. These days, the sector is robust, with top airlines like British airways and Qatar airways patronizing the sector. Along with this came a robust space program that Nigeria only dreamt of in the past. Nigeria has launched satellites into space, and the sector is still growing.

5. Enormous Exonomic Growth: Nigeria was not seen as an economic giant, and could not be compared to South Africa and Egypt before 1999. With the emergence of Southern Nigeria leaders, Nigeria is currently the biggest economy in Africa. These days, when we cough, other African countries shake. The new found Nigerian Economic might is spreading to other African countries like Ghana, Kenya, South Africa etc. Unlike before, Nigeria can now hold other African countries on their balls through threatening economic sanctions rather than war.

There are other developments, but I will leave it at five for now.

This post is not meant to mock the Northern Leaders. It is meant to counter the blind critics that claim that the leadership of Nigeria by the South did not bring developments. If you look at some of these critics, they work in banks, foreign firms in Nigeria, manufacturing sector, aviation sector and the rest. If these developments did not occur, I'm sure their stories would have been different.

Now, Buhari is in power. He needs to prove that the North has game too.
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by 48noble(m): 2:10pm On Aug 30, 2015
Good
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by chocolateme(f): 2:10pm On Aug 30, 2015
Are I betting with fresident?
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by experimentist: 2:19pm On Aug 30, 2015
chocolateme:
Are I betting with fresident?
u smoke gbanah ko?
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by temitemi1(m): 2:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
Smh...
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by POWEROFPEACE(m): 3:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
I am from south-south but I will not withdraw from the truth. The southern leadership committed more problems/atrocities than good which almost destroyed this nation completely. Meanwhile some of what you wrote there are lies.

1 Like

Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by kenny987(f): 7:09pm On Aug 30, 2015
POWEROFPEACE:
I am from south-south but I will not withdraw from the truth. The southern leadership committed more problems/atrocities than good which almost destroyed this nation completely. Meanwhile some of what you wrote there are lies.

Don't just stop at calling anything in the op lies, identify and counter them with facts. The op said Southern leadership has done better for d country than what we had under the North and backed up his assertion with proofs. U instead claim to be SS and say that Southern leaders created more problems/atrocities. Again be responsible, don't stop there. Engage fully by backing up your assertion with facts.

Stop criticising without proffering viable alternatives. That is what APC did in their campaign with criticism here n there. Today they deny their promises and say that if the past administration didn't steal so much they'd hav bn able to provide 5k for d poor and meals for children in school. Were most if d current APC members not part of the past administration? So who stole and who didn't steal? Even the richest n corruption free countries with less population do not do this yet they came with unrealistic countries and are lookin for whom to blame.

Before u criticise do ur homework and come up with viable alternatives not just fly off d handle n type because wat u see doesn't agree with ur sentiments.
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by EdCure: 7:19pm On Aug 30, 2015
yang:
abokï na abokï

if you combine muslim thinking with a dumb black man, the result is disaster
Honesty! grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by cjrane: 7:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
Civil war is the ONLY legacy the north will bequeath Nigeria.

Mark my words
Re: Five Things That The Change Of Leadership From North To South Brought To Nigeria by lincolnj88: 7:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
Northerner na northerners.. no innovation

(1) (Reply)

Navy Acquires Israeli Surveillance System To Tackle Oil Theft / Why Bashing Jonathan Won't Work By Sen.ben Bruce / Zahra Buhari Named Brand Ambassador For Sickle Cell Foundation (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.