Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Nervousness During Interview - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nervousness During Interview (1671 Views)

Phonetic Language & Twisting Of Tongue During Interview,acceptable Or Not? / Business Presentation Skills - Free Article On Dealing With Nervousness / An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nervousness During Interview by 24spicy: 12:31pm On Apr 01, 2009
i am always nervous during interviews. pls is there a solution to it or wot can i do to stop been nervous during inetrviews. pls i really need u guys advice and help cos this recently caused me a job opportunity with one of the multinationals.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by otuwe(f): 2:24pm On Apr 01, 2009
smoke weed before entering for the interview cool cool

it works like majic

you will promise heaven and earth

(i didnt say this oo) lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nervousness During Interview by Redfox(m): 6:01pm On Apr 09, 2009
@ojuwe
are you always like this,if yes,i think you need a mental therapy.someone is asking for help and if you do not have anything concrete to say,why not shut the Bleep up,no offence

@poster
u need to invest your time on inspirational books that will teach you the ABC of self-confidence,relaxation and composure.always remember, God created u in his own image and likeness that means you have him in you besides if God be for you who can be against you,always utter these words to yourself.find relief in the universal truth that life and accomplishment is not a do or die affair even though it is needed to keep the spirit alive.it is well brother.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by ElRazur: 5:34pm On Apr 11, 2009
24spicy:

i am always nervous during interviews. pls is there a solution to it or wot can i do to stop been nervous during inetrviews. pls i really need u guys advice and help cos this recently caused me a job opportunity with one of the multinationals.

One way to go by it is to ask yourself - What makes me nervous? If you can deal with this, over half your problem will probably go away.

You need to get loads of practice prior to the interview. Like, standing in front of a mirror and actually speaking to yourself. Do you like what you see? Do you think you can improve?

You need to learn how to seat down and get your composure right. For example, chin up, shoulder high and have a bright face [raising your high brow like you are really keen on something]

There are a few breathing techniques you will need to learn as well. This have been shown to help compose people together.

Also, always ask for a cup of water at the interview [if it was offered]. It can be used to buy time, when asked question that the answers skipped your mind. For example, you can cough, excuse yourself and then sip a bit of water slowly, but while you are doing that, your brain is thinking. Trust me it is easier than I am explaining. Politician use this trick alot when been interviewed.

Just relax and have plenty of rest before the day of your interview. Don't forget to read around what you are applying for. Good luck.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by otuwe(f): 10:39am On Jul 20, 2009
Redfox:

@ojuwe
are you always like this,if yes,i think you need a mental therapy.someone is asking for help and if you do not have anything concrete to say,why not shut the mess up,no offence

have you tried my suggestion and it didnt work, or do you always like putting yourself in a bad mood

who knows maybe the poster has even tried it and thats y he is not back

inspirational books, indeed.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by Redfox(m): 11:20am On Jul 22, 2009
@otuwe
if u start depending on booze when will u stop.don't forget that u need confidence every day of your life.what u are asking him to do is to add liquor to his breakfast menu.the consequences are of enormous weight,what about his health,u and i know that excessive and constant intake of alcohol will result to cancerous infection(dysfunctional lungs and poor respiration),cardiovascular diseases and a lot of negative exposure that will definitely amount ill-health and eventual demise.so i like to ask where u pulling a stunt or joking or is it out of ignorance or wickedness that u made such cynical comment?
Re: Nervousness During Interview by otuwe(f): 11:26am On Jul 24, 2009
Redfox:

@otuwe
if u start depending on booze when will u stop.don't forget that u need confidence every day of your life.what u are asking him to do is to add liquor to his breakfast menu.the consequences are of enormous weight,what about his health,u and i know that excessive and constant intake of alcohol will result to cancerous infection(dysfunctional lungs and poor respiration),cardiovascular diseases and a lot of negative exposure that will definitely amount ill-health and eventual demise.so i like to ask where u pulling a stunt or joking or is it out of ignorance or wickedness that u made such cynical comment?

grammar

neither does one million inspirational books make that guy to stop being nervous during interview

therefore my suggestion is as useless as yours cos 'it is easier said than done'
Re: Nervousness During Interview by Cristalz(f): 12:16pm On Jul 24, 2009
@otuwe/Redfox
You two should go get a room thread and quit squabbling here. grin

@poster
Trust me, I know exactly what you mean.

First, keep reminding yourself that you're the best person for the job and all you've gotta do is go in there and show those silly people in charge that you are the shiznit. I'm serious o. . .see yourself as the best thing since the fax machine, and go do your thing.

Second, have all your facts/info down cold. Nothing beats knowing that you're adequately prepared for any possible question(s).
So, see yourself as the best there is and go sell your stuff.

Third, if the shakes are really bad, imagine your interviewers as friends or members of your family that you relate really well with. Imagine that you're simply having a friendly but important conversation with them and relax.
If they look stern, look for something funny about their facial features or dressing and smile about it. NOTE that I said ''smile'', not ''laugh''. grin
E.g I went for an interview where the female interviewer had on really freaky make-up. Kept me smiling at her all through, and you can bet she had no idea why I kept smiling. Probably thought I was relaxed and enjoying being there. Yeah rrright. grin

Try my three tips together/combined/simultaenously/at the same time and see how it goes. Really helped me. . .just might help you.
These things are all about the mind,y'know. wink
Re: Nervousness During Interview by otuwe(f): 12:19pm On Jul 24, 2009
Cristalz:

@otuwe/Redfox
You two should go get a room thread and quit squabbling here. grin

@poster
Trust me, I know exactly what you mean.

First, keep reminding yourself that you're the best person for the job and all you've gotta do is go in there and show those silly people in charge that you are the shiznit. I'm serious o. . .see yourself as the best thing since the fax machine, and go do your thing.

Second, have all your facts/info down cold. Nothing beats knowing that you're adequately prepared for any possible question(s).
So, see yourself as the best there is and go sell your stuff.

Third, if the shakes are really bad, imagine your interviewers as friends or members of your family that you relate really well with. Imagine that you're simply having a friendly but important conversation with them and relax.
If they look stern, look for something funny about their facial features or dressing and smile about it. NOTE that I said ''smile'', not ''laugh''. grin
E.g I went for an interview where the female interviewer had on really freaky make-up. Kept me smiling at her all through, and you can bet she had no idea why I kept smiling. Probably thought I was relaxed and enjoying being there. Yeah rrright. grin

Try my three tips together/combined/simultaenously/at the same time and see how it goes. Really helped me. . .just might help you.
These things are all about the mind,y'know. wink

THIS IS THE BEST SUGGESTION EVER

I WILL PRINT IT AND KEEP FOR MY OWN USE TOO

some other people will just be speaking grammar on what they know nothing about, can you imagine?
Re: Nervousness During Interview by Redfox(m): 3:00pm On Jul 27, 2009
@Cristalz
What you said is just a tip of what one can find in inspirational books and more.the whole idea stems from the fact that once a man is psychologically balanced; that is being able to control his thoughts and feelings positively.he can achieve anything he desires.your contribution is no doubt a good one but you still need to understand that there are different ways of saying one thing and that can only be possible if you take the patience to read and comprehend properly before response.WELL DONE.

@otuwe
We are saying the same thing.i beseech you don't take this personal,if i had insulted you please forgive.but let's allow reason and truth to prevail.i take alcohol and i know its limit to confidence building.what about looking for a limitless solution?

We are the architect of our own misfortune
Re: Nervousness During Interview by kok(m): 3:11pm On Jul 28, 2009
@ poster, what makes you nervous is lack of self confidence. you dont get nervous only on interview but on tense situation too, right?

The best way to handle this is by fixing your self confidence and this can be done by removing the cause of your nervousness which could either be Worry, Doubt, or Fear. To overcome these you need to be sure of yourself about what you know on the post you 'd applied for. Equip yourself with as much information as you can to get yourself prepared.

On the day of the interview, believe you have done all your homework and feel relax, dress smart (the best you can think of) this boost your confidence. If you can set your mood right, you would have the rest of the day to smile.

Cristalz tips would also go a long way too.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by otuwe(f): 10:46pm On Jul 28, 2009
thanks KOK

thats another nice input!!!
Re: Nervousness During Interview by Odetayoz: 10:58am On Jul 30, 2009
@poster

point of correction, nairalanders are the combination of guys and girls.

Why are am i nervous? ask yourself. if you know the answer your problem is solved. If you know the answer and still find it difficult to face the challenge or what ever it might be, get it posted and let share views. And let №1 on your life list be self confident.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by canuck(m): 9:43pm On Jul 30, 2009
Here are a few tips:

1) Your negative interpretation of the interview environment produces anxiety - Start seeing interviews as a mere conversation to showcase your skills

2) Ask yourself, "What's the worst that can happen?" If you go into an interview thinking, "I MUST get this job!", you will be unable to control your nerves

3) Remember to smile. It may feel awkward, but trust me, you are the only one who can sense >80% of your nervousness. When you smile, you actually come across as confident.

4) Think and talk about what you bring to the table, not "Oh, I MUST HAVE this job!" Think up scenarios where you deployed your skills to achieve success. In other words, pump yourself up with great thoughts, not, "I'm going to mess up again!"

5) Practise! Practise!! Practise!!!

All the best!
Re: Nervousness During Interview by otuwe(f): 10:06am On Aug 03, 2009
wao

we have very smart and practical peopl here ooo
Re: Nervousness During Interview by mamag3: 1:41am On Aug 04, 2009
Just cool your mind.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by babad4(m): 1:01pm On Aug 05, 2009
otuwe, I think people like u, make d world go round,i like ur sense of humour! Interview confidence: Nothing beats preparation.Adequate preparation gives you boldness.Just go and succeed smiley
Re: Nervousness During Interview by seunallday: 1:05pm On Aug 06, 2009
@otuwe cosign u jo, smoking weed helps a lot, the point is not smokin too much lol, grin

Mr redfox, dat was humour, its funny u cant detect humour when u see it cos u'r named after a famour comedian, lol, on the real, suggest a particular inspirational book, but its clear our poster's issue is prolly self esteem.

@ poster, the key is, the worst that can happen is u not getting the job, u will not die, its good u already know ur weak point, a nice smile, or a well calculated attempt at humour goes a long way in breakin the ice, make it interesting, ur interviewer is also prolly bored as hell.

dress well, dont be buga'd by the work environment, dats enuff to kill ur morale,

if u r reallly nervous, mention it to the interviewer, just as subtly as possibl, its worked for me before, he/she may take it easy on u,

as nervous as u may be, try to speak smartly no matter wat.
Re: Nervousness During Interview by Biliamin(m): 1:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
I've got solution for you. download the attached docs and put them into practice.

Re: Nervousness During Interview by Nobody: 5:58am On Aug 13, 2009
GreAT TIPS! However, keep em' coming. wink

(1) (Reply)

Msc Or Job / Expected Salary In Lagos / Accessbank And Injustice...tyranny @ The Highest Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.