Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,823 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Singer Chrissie Hynde Slammed For Suggesting Women Are To Blame For Rape - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Singer Chrissie Hynde Slammed For Suggesting Women Are To Blame For Rape (453 Views)

Nonso Amadi Slammed For His Awful Performance At Davido’s #30billionconcert / Bovi Slammed For Using His Children For Homophobic Jokes & Sexual Language / Laura Ikeji Slammed For "Being Pregnant Before Wedding & Trying To Hide It" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Singer Chrissie Hynde Slammed For Suggesting Women Are To Blame For Rape by sydraay: 4:20pm On Aug 31, 2015
The Pretenders singer Chrissie Hynde is getting slammed for remarks she made about rape in an interview with the Sunday Times.

The 63-year-old opened up to the publication about her own sexual assault when she was 21, but suggested that women are to blame for getting raped. "You know if you don't want to entice a rapist, don't wear high heels so you can't run from him," she told the Times. She also said she takes "full responsibility" for what happened to her four
decades ago.

"If I'm walking around in my underwear and I'm drunk. Who else's fault can it be?" she asked. "Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I
take full responsibility," she said, also adding that she was high on drugs at the time.
Hynde recalled how she was forced to perform sexual acts on members of an Ohio motorcycle gang who had promised to take her to a party but instead brought her to
an abandoned house.

"If I'm walking around and I'm very modestly dressed and I'm keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I'd say that's his fault. But if I'm being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who's already unhinged--don't do that," she explained. "Come on! That's just common sense."

"I don't think I am saying anything controversial, am I?" she reflected.
Not everyone agreed with Hynde. Charity group Victim Support slammed the performer for her comments, saying that victims should never "blame themselves" for an attack.

"Victims of sexual violence should never feel or be made to feel that they were responsible for the appalling crime they suffered--regardless of circumstances or factors which may have made them particularly vulnerable," said Lucy Hastings, director of Victim Support, per the BBC.

"They should not blame themselves or be blamed for failing to prevent an attack--often they will have been targeted by predatory offenders who are responsible for their actions."

People on Twitter were just as appalled. "Thing about rapists is that they're rapist," wrote Jill Bretherton. "They don't care what victims wear. Their impulse is to rape.
They're rapists."

Another tweeted, "Dear Chrissie Hynde. NOTHING ever justifies the rape or sexual assault of a woman. It's the abusers fault only. Love. A Man."

http://www.edondo.com/2015/08/singer-chrissie-hynde-slammed-for-suggesting-women-are-to-blame-for-rape
Re: Singer Chrissie Hynde Slammed For Suggesting Women Are To Blame For Rape by chocolateme(f): 4:21pm On Aug 31, 2015
For me, it is two sided..
Thought the lady should have further exaggerated on her view, but now, it has earned her more publicity in negative and positive way.
I wonder what she would have to say about child rape.
Re: Singer Chrissie Hynde Slammed For Suggesting Women Are To Blame For Rape by MRBrownJ: 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2015
i certainly understand her point: nothing ever justifies RAPE but, as we all know that there are mad people out there, you have to take extra care (just like anything else in this world). there is nothing wrong if/when a woman dresses provocatively but sadly some deluded sickos will automatically believe that she is a who.re and can be treated as such.

in the world we live in today, you must be extra careful AT ALL TIMES, and if anyone does stoopid things like getting drunk and jumping in a strangers car OR being drugged out of your mind and walking home alone in dark alleys, then that person must take the blame for putting themselves in this dangerous position, where they could get raped/kidnapped or killed.

(1) (Reply)

See Has Kylie Jenner Shows Side Boob On The Tover Of Glamore Mag / How I Escaped Death On Stage –ras Kimono / Photos:-davido’s Girlfriend Flaunts Her B00bs In New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.