Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,396 members, 7,861,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:38 AM

Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman (1058 Views)

Between EFCC & A Twitter User Who Is Displeased Over Oil Thieves 120 Year Jail / RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / United States Gave Buhari Names Of Oil Thieves – Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by dunsman(f): 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2569311/oil-theft-nnpc-deploy-drones

Read a thread at d link above saying dat NNPC to deploy drones to stop oil theft. Pls am in d dark here. Which type of drones are they talking about?? Is it military drones like the ones in the image below or just supervising drones?
If its military drones, why I think it will be a bad decision by the NNPC

1) drones are high military hardwares that requires great technical knowledge,. Do we have such in Nigeria?? Am not trying to mock us o, but reason with me ordinary helicopters we do have crashes not to talk of a drone. And if paraventure a drone happens to crash near an oil pipe.. Uhmm I don need to tell what will happen.

2) military drones that I know of has a maximum level that it can reach to the ground thereby making it impossible for close missile bombardments, instead they are usual used for random strikes, now tell me can this type of technique be used in hunting oil thieves?? Wat if an oil pipe bust?? Is dat not tragedy??

3) Rather than spending such huge amount of money on acquiring a drone just to hunt oil thieves in the South, the drones should be used in bombing d entire sambisa forest and all boko haram strong holds in Nigeria.. It will be more useful that way.

4) can we really cope with the side effects of drones, cause if drones get into wrong hands, a single missile can wipe out my mother's village and we know our military capabilities dont let us add to our problems

With these points I will urge the NNPC to rethink.. Cause drones are not toys oo u guys should remember hiroshima

I just pray its a supervision drone with little or no weapon attached. Below are the images of military and amazon drones below.
Thanks

Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by ladyF(f): 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hian. ...na wa to you o. There are surveillance drones na without weaponry. Do u have any other suggestions to tackle the problem?

You shouldn't be too quick to criticise.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by DahtzFestjayz: 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2015
LadyF whats that "OK" for?
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by hakeem4(m): 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2015
Maybe we should borrow op's eyes to secure the place grin
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by dunsman(f): 9:24pm On Sep 01, 2015
ladyF:
Hian. ...na wa to you o. There are surveillance drones na without weaponry. Do u have any other suggestions to tackle the problem?

I said am in d dark?? So you should explain to me wat kinds of drones he meant
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by ladyF(f): 9:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
dunsman:

I said am in d dark?? So you should explain to me wat kinds of drones he meant
I dont know what kind of drones they will be using. There are ordinary surveillance drones, then they are the ones that are made for combat. They have their disadvantages tho. There were reports that a drone spotted the planes involved in the 9-11 attacks, but it was a surveillance drone so there was not much it could have done. A drone can be as small as the size of a ladies handbag....so u can see how useful it can turn out to be.

But I think the drones are cost effective compared to having people on ground. Take note that u will have to pay these people on a monthly basis plus other operational cost.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by ladyF(f): 9:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
DahtzFestjayz:
LadyF whats that "OK" for?
Which Ok are you referring to?
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by dunsman(f): 9:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
ladyF:

I dont know what kind of drones they will be using. There are ordinary surveillance drones, then they are the ones that are made for combat. They have their disadvantages tho. There were reports that a drone spotted the planes involved in the 9-11 attacks, but it was a surveillance drone so there was not much it could have done. A drone can be as small as the size of a ladies handbag....so u can see how useful it can turn out to be.

But I think the drones are cost effective compared to having people on ground. Take note that u will have to pay these people on a monthly basis plus other operational cost.

That's how better pple answer question, some pple would have rained abusive words on you
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by obailala(m): 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
The drones are meant for surveillance only... they are not military hardware and will not be firing weapons.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by ladyF(f): 9:47pm On Sep 01, 2015
dunsman:

That's how better pple answer question, some pple would have rained abusive words on you
wink you're welcome.
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 01, 2015
Typin
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 01, 2015
Brb
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by vicadex07(m): 10:05pm On Sep 01, 2015
Lady F just spoke my mind
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by mikolo80: 5:15am On Sep 02, 2015
ladyF:

chei, when woman begin de correct me you about military weapons or tech you know you're finished as a man dunsman
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 02, 2015
ladyF:

resource control should solve all this enigma...let niger deltans control their own crude resource...let all malams and south westerners look inward and create monies and not die on this oil wahala...so tey them wan use drone like say na syria be this...which kin mumu country be this....
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by softvio(m): 6:44am On Sep 02, 2015
Coming back to read
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by egift(m): 6:47am On Sep 02, 2015
OP be informed. The Drone here is for Ariel Surveillance. Nigeria do not have armed ballistic drones like the ones you imagined.

It is a good addition to patrol the Pipelines.

God bless Nigeria!
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by dunsman(f): 12:26pm On Sep 02, 2015
mikolo80:
chei, when woman begin de correct me you about military weapons or tech you know you're finished as a man dunsman

She did not correct me, she enlightened me!! That's y majority of you can't learn.. No one k ows it all
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by mikolo80: 2:25am On Sep 03, 2015
dunsman:

She did not correct me, she enlightened me!! That's y majority of you can't learn.. No one k ows it all
tomayto tomahto
Re: Why I Think Using Of Drones To Hunt Oil Thieves Is A Bad Idea-- Dunsman by WailingWailer00(m): 2:39am On Sep 03, 2015
This would be wonderful, surveillance drones can be handy in thick forested vegetation

(1) (Reply)

Pic. When This Was Our CNN And BBC / TSA: FG Operated Illegal Accounts For 48 Years / Photos Of The 128 Suspected Boko Haram Members Freed By Nigerian Militarry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.