Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,745 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Physics Student Forum - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Physics Student Forum (2505 Views)

Ui-dlc-student Forum / Ican Student Forum - New Syllabus Discuss / Accounting Student Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Physics Student Forum by waledudu(m): 6:40pm On Oct 03, 2006
any physics student in da house pls indicate urself & ur skool.am a physics student FUTA
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 5:11pm On Oct 09, 2006
you have a colleaque. B.sc physics UNN
Geolalisa.
Re: Physics Student Forum by Ashags(m): 8:29pm On Oct 11, 2006
u have another physics graduate.
taiwo ashagidigbi
UNIMAID
Re: Physics Student Forum by Peaceprinc(m): 6:13pm On Oct 13, 2006
I join this forum today and i am very happy to know that there are physics student participating. I graduated from University of Ado Ekiti, my mail address is :mibprince@yahoo.com
Any physics graduate presently? |'ll be expecting your reply
Re: Physics Student Forum by Carlosein(m): 1:40pm On Oct 23, 2006
hi guys am here charles ajibola physics ui
Re: Physics Student Forum by rmho(m): 3:27am On Oct 24, 2006
i'm happy that i heared from a reliable physicist like you.Remember physics is the mother of science.Always be alert&never relent

GENTILITY(RAPH OBODO)
B Sc UNN
Re: Physics Student Forum by Ade0001(m): 9:24pm On Nov 01, 2006
i read physics too (FUTA). and so glad to discover a forum like this!
Re: Physics Student Forum by klomak(m): 9:16pm On Nov 05, 2006
oau representing. what is dis really about
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 9:34am On Jan 10, 2007
Great physicist! lets share our experiences together (talking about life after school). i am presently serving with a telecom company that is into fibre optics networking in Abuja.
Re: Physics Student Forum by nazzyon(m): 9:59am On Jan 10, 2007
Take this as a motion?

Why not organize a kind of research group or plan on contructing certain stuffs?
Re: Physics Student Forum by kobe(m): 10:04am On Jan 10, 2007
@rmho I hold the belief that chemistry is the central science.

you claim it is physics.
would you mind shedding some light? please.
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 10:59am On Jan 15, 2007
@Kobesosimi

Physics is the Mother of Science,cos is about the study of Nature.if u have doubts.why don't u bring up any of our day to day activities and let me straighten this notion up for u. thanks
Re: Physics Student Forum by tokuns(m): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2007
if you say that physics is the mother and the study of natural science, then what do you say about biology, i dont agree with you on that. physics has to do mostly with calculations not really natural science.
Re: Physics Student Forum by tokuns(m): 10:40pm On Jan 15, 2007
if you say that physics is the mother of science and the study of nature, then what do you say about biology. i dont agree with you regarding this. physics has to do mostly with technical works not natural science.
Re: Physics Student Forum by kobe(m): 1:43am On Jan 16, 2007
IMO Chemistry is the central science.

Read This
[b]Chemistry is an incredibly fascinating field of study. Because it is so fundamental to our world, chemistry plays a role in everyone's lives and touches almost every aspect of our existence in some way. Chemistry is essential for meeting our basic needs of food, clothing, shelter, health, energy, and clean air, water, and soil. Chemical technologies enrich our quality of life in numerous ways by providing new solutions to problems in health, materials, and energy usage. Thus, studying chemistry is useful in preparing us for the real world.

Chemistry is often referred to as the central science because it joins together physics and mathematics, biology and medicine, and the earth and environmental sciences. Knowledge of the nature of chemicals and chemical processes therefore provides insights into a variety of physical and biological phenomena. Knowing something about chemistry is worthwhile because it provides an excellent basis for understanding the physical universe we live in. For better or for worse, everything is chemical! [/b]

Source: http://perth.uwlax.edu/chemistry/why_major.htm
P.S. Chem ain't mah field so don't thaink ah be biased aigh.
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 9:34am On Jan 17, 2007
@kobesosimi

i believe in straight forward answers not long stories.it seems u got that ur quote from a book and there was no reference,u can be charged for plaigarism u knw.My dear,i challenged u with just one of our every day activities,but u r deviating.just give me one and lets exchange ideas, i think it will b fun to convince u beyond the ordinary.

lets i forget,i said Physics is the mother of science and the father of engineering,if i may add. wink

@toksun

i think biology is the Study of life not of nature.u can correct me if u think i am wrong. wink
Re: Physics Student Forum by kobe(m): 10:10am On Jan 17, 2007
Geolalisa re-read my post 'carefully' before textually assaulting me of plagiawhateverism will you & no I wasn't deviating.
If you still can't figure something out I'll give you hints
1: Read This
2: Bolded texts
3: Source: link

Since you've failed to realize that the answer to your question was embedded within the bolded text
here it is again:
Chemistry is often referred to as the central science because it joins together physics and mathematics, biology and medicine, and the earth and environmental sciences.

if you still disagree with me, I'd like you to re-phrase your term 'mother of science' - it is very vague to write that 'physics is the mother of science because it is the study of nature.'

Also Geolalisa about your response @ toksun
i think biology is the Study of life not of nature.u can correct me if u think i am wrong.
I'll text my opinion on this since I feel the statement is incorrect - There have been books written about biology also being a study of nature(Refer to: The Creation by Edward O. Wilson).  I'd think biology is a type of study of nature since biologists also examine the effects of nature on our health & many other areas.

You say that "Physics is the study of nature." True, but so is chemistry, biology, and many other sciences. In fact, we can easily define science as the systematized knowledge of nature and our physical world.

And if you still want an activity: How about sexual intercourse
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2007
@Kobesosimi
Bravo!!!!

ur last but one paragraph,just opened a better trend of discussion.Science is generally the study of nature,but for us to study nature properly we need the basic branches of science (i.e physics,chemistry and biology).AGREED.

but,Physics is the bedrock on which other branches operate on,is more or less like the head of the whole body.it encompasses all the sciences and much more,there comes the name 'Mother' wink
Re: Physics Student Forum by kobe(m): 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2007
but,Physics is the bedrock on which other branches operate on,is more or less like the head of the whole body.it encompasses all the sciences and much more,there comes the name 'Mother'
This is a classic example of petitio principii (begging the question) / circular reasoning.
So you're basically telling me that physics is the mother of all science because it just is.

Let's assume I agree with you which I don't. Please shed some proof on why, as you said, it is the
"Bedrock on which other branches operate on"
Re: Physics Student Forum by disneymil: 8:17pm On Jan 20, 2007
hello people, who wants to chat with the physicists. i'm all ears! spill the beans man!
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 9:54am On Jan 22, 2007
Kobesosimi, i never thought i will still be on this,but since u insist.lets hit the road.

i said 'physics is the mother of science and the bedrock on which other branches depend on'OH YES!
Remember, i said physics is the study of nature because it attempts to describe the fundamental nature of the universe and how it works.E.g Physics explains why rainbows have colours,what keeps satellite in orbit, and what atoms and nuclei are made of.

Physics is applied in life science(biology),when we talk about the power of the heart,human energy,surface tension and the lungs,x-ray dosage etc.

in chemistry,when we talk about the wave theory of hydrogen atom, condensed matter,ideal gas theory,i can go on and on and on,if u want to.

Physics is also applied in Astronomy,geology,architecture and most definitely,in our everyday life,sports;rowing across a river,pedaling a bicycle,high diver,sky diving ,etc.in our electrical appliances at home,Airplane flight,walking and running etc.

Can i ask u a question? have u ever asked why is it that anything u throw up comes down,why don't it remain there.u see,that is one of Newtons law.hope u know who newton is?

so which of the branches of science is the head?i will like u to answer that. wink cheers.
hope this finds u in a good mood. cheesy
Re: Physics Student Forum by kobe(m): 10:52am On Jan 22, 2007
It always finds me in a good mood, I 've been awaiting your response & I commend you for the elaboration.
Although I stated above as proclaimed that 'chemistry is the central science' it was in terms of modern utilization. I'll say the same thing I said with chemistry - "physics is also at the core of all other sciences," because the laws of physics like you said explains the existence of atoms - all these sciences attempt to help us understand our world.

Here's my verdict:
Its difficult to declare a "head" as you put it.
Sciences build on each other - they intertwine
Heck there are fields that combine the 3 major ones: Biophysics, Biochem, Physical Biochem, & Physical Chemistry

I'll say that there's no denying the unquantifiable/colossal strength of physics.
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 11:45am On Jan 22, 2007
@ kobesosimi

Yes my lord!
Case dismissed
i like ur last sentence. cool
Re: Physics Student Forum by Geolalisa(f): 11:48am On Jan 22, 2007
GREAT PHYSICIST!

lets spice our forum up,anyone with something what sharing?we are all ears.
Re: Physics Student Forum by kobe(m): 12:14pm On Jan 22, 2007
Help me understand the true meanings of
Mass
Weight
Gravity
Acceleration
Velocity
Speed
Force
Work
Torque
Pressure

Please?
Re: Physics Student Forum by rmho(m): 12:26am On Jan 27, 2007
mathematics is the father of sciences while physics is the mother.geolalisa,God must surely reward you for your cotributions
Gentility
Re: Physics Student Forum by tokuns(m): 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2007
well i was thinking of a new invention in electricity transmission, as we know how telecommunication has boosted, i was thinking if it can ever be possible to transmit electricity without using connection wires just as we use our phones now compared to the olden days. what do you physicists think, is it ever possible. say your views.
Re: Physics Student Forum by disneymil: 8:23pm On Jan 27, 2007
@kobesosimi
hi dear.
what u need to do is get a physics textbook. its not proper to waste a lot of professional ideas on those issues. Don't get an engineer to do what a handy man can do. good evening.
Re: Physics Student Forum by rmho(m): 12:38pm On Jan 29, 2007
electricity can be transmitted without wires.check your physics text books very well for more info.
gentility.
Re: Physics Student Forum by tokuns(m): 1:26pm On Jan 29, 2007
what i mean is not in the form of experiment, i talking about practical application, where all the wiring in zur houses would be no longer be used to lighten our bulbs and where the power transmition from the mains would not be through wires, just like phones.
Re: Physics Student Forum by MOA: 2:57pm On Feb 01, 2007
Hey Pals!
B.Sc. Physics, UNILORIN.
But fully into IT
Paul
Re: Physics Student Forum by rmho(m): 2:10am On Feb 10, 2007
electricity can be transmited without wires but cosiderably cannot support heavy appliancies as you want.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rsust Post Ume Announced. Exam Is Purely Electronic / Jamb Send Me My Result Via Sms Biko!! Am Crying / 4 Dead As Cult Groups ‘eiye’ & ‘bucaneer’ Clash In Abeokuta [see Photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.