Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,049 members, 7,810,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg (3312 Views)

Senator Adeola To Hameed Ali - Appear Before Senate In Customs Uniform Or Resign / Anxiety In Prisons Service, As Officers Kick Over Planned Change Of Uniforms / Ali Cancels ‘permanent Posting’ In Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by zik4ever: 9:52am On Sep 03, 2015
There was animated suspense inside the Zone 3, Wuse Headquarters of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, yesterday as officers of the Service allegedly rejected the appointment of Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) as successor to immediate past Comptroller-General, CG Abdullahi Inde Dikko. President Muhammadu Buhari had last Thursday announced the retired soldier as the new CG Customs among other sensitive appointments. The development immediately elicited worries within the rank and file of the NCS across the country, with most of them querying the appointment of a “non-career” official to head the place. But while the mooted agitation was on, the presidency was to clarify issues by stating that Ali’s mission to NCS was to serve as Sole Administrator of the Service. According to our usually reliable sources, President Buhari’s decision to appoint Ali as Sole Administrator stems from the fact that the office of Comptroller-General is a career position and Ali, being a retired military officer, should not be named Comptroller-General as it is inconsistent with all the rules related to Customs administration. In President Buhari’s desire to establish absolute control over major institutions in the country, he has jettisoned the time-honoured rules of seniority in the Customs Service, neglecting six Deputy Comptrollers-General to appoint Ali as Dikko’s replacement. However, unlike all other appointments made by Buhari, stakeholders and the Customs community have refused to be intimidated into accepting the President’s choice of Ali for the Service. Reacting to speculations that Col. Ali may have been re-designated Sole Administrator, a former Comptroller-General, who prayed for anonymity, said such an action was unconstitutional and a total breach of the Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA). He urged the President to reverse the decision adding that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the Nigeria Police for instance, which Nigerians unanimously agree are the most corrupt institutions, did not get such humiliation. He said if not reversed, the action may further encourage indiscipline and impunity in the Service. Citing a report published in TheCable, “According to section 3.11:1 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette No. 24. Vol. 89 of 25th March, 2002, the choice of Comptroller-General shall be by appointment of a suitable Deputy Comptroller-General (DCG).” Regardless of this provision, Buhari’s decision to appoint Ali as Comptroller-General has resulted in creating confusion and uneasiness in the Service. According to a source inside Customs House Abuja, “The President is empowered by the Constitution which allows him to appoint anybody to help him exercise his executive powers, however, this should not be to the detriment of professionalism and respect for order,” he said. “Since Ali was appointed, the entire Service has been thrown into confusion as nobody knows what to expect from the former military police officer when he resumes office,” another officer added. However, there are strong indications that all may not be well following Ali’s failure to show up at Customs Headquarters to resume duties since his appointment was announced about a week ago. Insider reports suggest that the retired army officer may have declined his appointment, citing issues of bad-blood that are sure to arise as a result of the unfair treatment meted out to the serving DCGs and other officers. “It is quite unusual for a new appointee to still be absent from his duty post one week after appointment. Ali has neither visited the Customs Headquarters nor sent an advance team to prepare the ground for his resumption. It is surely an indication that something is wrong somewhere,” a top Customs officer told our correspondent. In an obvious but unsuccessful attempt to defend President Buhari’s actions, an aide who declined being named, told our correspondent that Ali’s appointment was aimed at cleaning up the rot in the Customs Service. His statement however, is an indictment on Dikko’s administration and also reveals the preferential treatment given to Mr. President’s kinsmen in the ongoing political and agency shakeup. Ali had served the three military regimes of Generals Buhari, Babangida and Abacha and until his recent appointment, was Buhari’s close confidant and friend. - See more at: http://nigerianpilot.com/confusion-in-customs-as-officers-reject-new-cg/#sthash.VlXVo3hs.dpuf
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by RemyMartins(m): 9:53am On Sep 03, 2015
na wa oh
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by ERODEDEAST(f): 10:01am On Sep 03, 2015
Bull.hari is a "BLOCKED HEAD"

Besides,

...And the Monika bellow derives joy in playing the Ostrich

What a pity.

5 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by powerfulsettingz: 10:03am On Sep 03, 2015
The moniker above me sure doesn't have the IQ to reason beyond certain things

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by hinwazaka: 10:07am On Sep 03, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
And your IQ is supposedly higher. I seriously doubt that.

5 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by powerfulsettingz: 10:10am On Sep 03, 2015
Sorry i didn't know u were around
hinwazaka:

And your IQ is supposedly higher. I seriously doubt that.
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Tabon: 10:11am On Sep 03, 2015
I thought they said all Buhari's appointments are based on merit? Most Nigerians are just fooling themselves esp APC. Very soon Nigerians will know their lies.

2 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by eyeview: 10:12am On Sep 03, 2015
Dear Mr President,
With all due respect sir,you are getting it wrong on everyside.

5 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by chernest2002: 10:25am On Sep 03, 2015
Turn everything up side down that is change.i reject backwardness for nig.

1 Like

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by marv1: 10:26am On Sep 03, 2015
Their beggar has no choice
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by mars123(m): 10:35am On Sep 03, 2015
When someone is trying to make things right in this country, the corrupt and the thieves will always go against him...since I was born and now I'm getting old, the customs has always been corrupt. Personely, every custom employee won't like a change in their corrupt status quo.

2 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by caprini1: 10:38am On Sep 03, 2015
Well ....I don't blame them.Its like getting a neuro surgeon to do the job of a music producer.Just because the surgeon is your brother and you own a recording studio.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Bialegend(m): 10:53am On Sep 03, 2015
Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) is the right person for this job and Buhari has picked him on merit. Yorrobers should stop wailling and move on. They are saying their shon of the soil is line to become the nead head of the customs service, and i say so what? Must we relegate merit in the person of Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) for a useless Yoruba fellow to take over because of what? This is Nigeria we are talking about. We need the best hands and Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) is one of them. Thank you Mr Buhari. Proudly 5%

1 Like

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by rolchi(m): 10:55am On Sep 03, 2015
caprini1:
Well ....I don't blame them.Its like getting a neuro surgeon to do the job of a music producer.Just because the surgeon is your brother and you own a recording studio.

Gbam!
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Bialegend(m): 11:00am On Sep 03, 2015
caprini1:
Buhari has chosen the right person on merit, period!!. Just go and die if you don't like it.

2 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Realist2: 11:04am On Sep 03, 2015
..... And the confusion continue...

Lalasticlala, ishlove move this food to the FP, let be food for the wailing children at the fp. Tanx.
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by shinaidowu: 11:10am On Sep 03, 2015
mars123:
When someone is trying to make things right in this country, the corrupt and the thieves will always go against him...since I was born and now I'm getting old, the customs has always been corrupt. Personely, every custom employee won't like a change in their corrupt status quo.

God bless you my brother for your comment. I have always told those that bother to listen that Nigerians do not and are not ready for change. For real change to come to Nigeria every structure, process and procedure would have to be shaken and turn inside out. Just take a look at the customs, police, immigration etc. When a new CG is appointed he come breathing fire about reforms but some few months down the line it's still business as usual. They are all and have been part and parcel of that institution of corruption. So why won't they protest, because they are intelligent to know that Hameed Ali coming in is to sanitise the system. No more bribes and kick backs. Painfully it's the educated elite that would now by used by these corrupt officials to champion their case. Nigerian is a country with a high level of gullibility.

3 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by caprini1: 11:20am On Sep 03, 2015
Bialegend:

Buhari has chosen the right person on merit, period!!. Just go and die if you don't like it.
So you can't quote someone,without laying a curse? May God bless you,prosper you ,uplift you at the time of your need,keep you in good health and may everything you wish others,come back to you a billion fold,in Jesus name ,Amen!

2 Likes

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Onyejiuwaokoh: 11:21am On Sep 03, 2015
This is meritocracy, sai Baba! Sai chanji! We need only kwaruption pree and quanfitent person. Proudly 5%!
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by PedroJP(m): 11:27am On Sep 03, 2015
Bialegend:
Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) is the right person for this job and Buhari has picked him on merit. Yorrobers should stop wailling and move on. They are saying their shon of the soil is line to become the nead head of the customs service, and i say so what? Must we relegate merit in the person of Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) for a useless Yoruba fellow to take over because of what? This is Nigeria we are talking about. We need the best hands and Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) is one of them. Thank you Mr Buhari. Proudly 5%

Don't mind them. They don't wanna see merit on this one.

1 Like

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Splashme: 11:28am On Sep 03, 2015
Only a dullard president will bring a fellow dullard retired
colonel to head a sensitive agency like the customs

Just to save Buhari's face, that Hausa newspaper 'dailytrust' is now lying to gullible
APC followers that Buhari's appointee does not like the appointment.

Nonsense propaganda.
Who in this country will reject appointment as customs boss?
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by chacoonder(m): 12:16pm On Sep 03, 2015
Bialegend:
Mentioning Yoruba in your post just made me realise that your fooolishness is peerless.

1 Like

Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by TheFreeOne: 12:58pm On Sep 03, 2015
But while the mooted agitation was on, the presidency was to clarify issues by stating that Ali’s mission to NCS was to serve as Sole Administrator of the Service.

“According to section 3.11:1 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette No. 24. Vol. 89 of 25th March, 2002, the choice of Comptroller-General shall be by appointment of a suitable Deputy Comptroller-General (DCG).”

Why not allow the next person in line head NCS

Buhari keeps polarizing this country with his foolish decisions.
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
Bialegend:

Beht Y? LOL. Has it gotten to that? Just can't deal! grin grin cheesy
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by xrisdon(m): 4:11pm On Sep 03, 2015
shinaidowu:

God bless you my brother for your comment. I have always told those that bother to listen that Nigerians do not and are not ready for change. For real change to come to Nigeria every structure, process and procedure would have to be shaken and turn inside out. Just take a look at the customs, police, immigration etc. When a new CG is appointed he come breathing fire about reforms but some few months down the line it's still business as usual. They are all and have been part and parcel of that institution of corruption. So why won't they protest, because they are intelligent to know that Hameed Ali coming in is to sanitise the system. No more bribes and kick backs. Painfully it's the educated elite that would now by used by these corrupt officials to champion their case. Nigerian is a country with a high level of gullibility.

You are very correct!!

we can't be doing the same thing over and over again and expect different result.
This country truly needs change, we need to change the way we do things.

imagine since 1960 to date Nigerians have been ruling themselves without any improvement, corruption is on the rise, no development.

so, GMB should just resign so that we will try a new thing, we will elect a Cameroonian or a ghanian to rule this country.

rubbish!
defending the indefensible.
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 03, 2015
Very soon he will sack chief of Army staff and replace him with that his brother who served/retired as the former NSCDC boss
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by vega84(m): 6:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
They can't reject him, bt am still wondering hw an ex military man who knws nothing abt customs will be heading it#vegatalksa
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Duru1(m): 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2015
mars123:

Are you so low in intellect? I guess you will agree that it will amount to act of idiocy to appoint a retired Custom Officer as CDS (Chief of Defense Staff).
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by Bialegend(m): 6:50pm On Sep 03, 2015
mykl01:

Beht Y? LOL. Has it gotten to that? Just can't deal! grin grin cheesy
I am in for anything on merit and Col. Hammed Ali (rtd) is the right choice. All wailers should go to hell. Proudly 5%
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by drss(m): 6:56pm On Sep 03, 2015
powerfulsettingz:
My chicken have more iq than u.
Re: Confusion In Customs As Officers Reject New Cg by naijaking1: 7:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
Buhari either doesn't care for constitution or he has never heard about it.
First he fires the AMCON board and replaced the chairman with his brother without following the constitution.
Now, he appoints a sole administrator as of this is a military regime. Shame on him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Old Photo Of Shehu Musa Yar' Adua, MKO Abiola And Raymond Dokpesi / Why Oil Marketers Hoarding Fuel Will Have To Drink It Soon. / Open Letter To Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.