Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? (6676 Views)

The Gionee P5w Works Best As A Sidekick (HOT) / Sidekick Unlock! / Pls I Need Unlock Code For Motorola Sidekick Slide (t-mobile) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 3:00am On Apr 03, 2009
Which one do you think is more reliable and which one has better features?

I think it's time to upgrade
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by ExInferis(m): 11:50am On Apr 03, 2009
and you consider a sidekick an upgrade? what are you coming from, a Nokia 3310?

except if you're coming from a very low end device i wouldnt recommend a sidekick. problem is, its features are mostly locked on to TMobile's network so chances are some things may not work in naija, like the IM client.

as for the iphone if you've ever synchronized an ipod and are okay with it then you may go for it. note that iphone doesnt officially support MMS, Copy/Paste, bluetooth file transfer, video recording, and direct media transfer from PC (unless you opt to "manually manage music and videos" ala the ipod)

if you dont like syncing and prefer to just send files via bluetooth, love MMS, etc then avoid the iphone.

but its also a cool gaming device.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by lynxnoon(m): 12:13pm On Apr 03, 2009
no mms, no copy/paste, no blutot transfer, no VIDEO RECORDING, no media transfer!!!
So wat does iphone hv apart frm bin a gud gaming device??
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by ExInferis(m): 4:22pm On Apr 03, 2009
it bakes bread, and every saturday at 9pm it becomes a batmobile.

oh, and it has multitouch.

(im not going to mention that it has 1000s of apps and has a central repository for those apps, pushes mails, is the best ipod ever, best photo management app ever on a mobile device, has a solid OS, best virtual keyboard ever, best wifi implementation on any mobile device, powerful graphics chipset, visual voicemail, core location etc).

every Joe Blow phone already does MMS, Bluetooth, video etc so im not sure people place those features on their priority needs when shopping for a highend device.

blackberry just got video capabilities with the 4.5 software update, which was fairly recently. and all those features the iphone currently lacksare just 2 months away via the 3.0 software update. there's already QuickOffice for the iphone (same as in Nokia devices, only much more powerful and cooler) and Microsoft has announced development of MS Office for Iphone will commence soon.

just hold on for the next iphone coming soon.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 03, 2009
Ex Inferis:

and you consider a sidekick an upgrade? what are you coming from, a Nokia 3310?

except if you're coming from a very low end device i wouldnt recommend a sidekick. problem is, its features are mostly locked on to TMobile's network so chances are some things may not work in naija, like the IM client.

as for the iphone if you've ever synchronized an ipod and are okay with it then you may go for it. note that iphone doesnt officially support MMS, Copy/Paste, bluetooth file transfer, video recording, and direct media transfer from PC (unless you opt to "manually manage music and videos" ala the ipod)

if you dont like syncing and prefer to just send files via bluetooth, love MMS, etc then avoid the iphone.

but its also a cool gaming device.
Never said I was in Naija.

Ehrrrm am upgrading from a samsung, thank you.
LOL, yes, a side kick is an upgrade. I think the phone has nice features, and very cute grin grin
But I've never used it, so I don't know if it's reliable or not embarassed

lynxnoon:

no mms, no copy/paste, no blutot transfer, no VIDEO RECORDING, no media transfer!!!
That's what I thought too. undecided

Ex Inferis:

im not sure people place those features on their priority needs when shopping for a highend device.
Thanks for the info wink

So what should be prioritized when buying a new phone?
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by lynxnoon(m): 1:03am On Apr 04, 2009
Ex Inferis:

it bakes bread, and every saturday at 9pm it becomes a batmobile.

oh, and it has multitouch.

(im not going to mention that it has 1000s of apps and has a central repository for those apps, pushes mails, is the best ipod ever, best photo management app ever on a mobile device, has a solid OS, best virtual keyboard ever, best wifi implementation on any mobile device, powerful graphics chipset, visual voicemail, core location etc).

every Joe Blow phone already does MMS, Bluetooth, video etc so im not sure people place those features on their priority needs when shopping for a highend device.

blackberry just got video capabilities with the 4.5 software update, which was fairly recently. and all those features the iphone currently lacksare just 2 months away via the 3.0 software update. there's already QuickOffice for the iphone (same as in Nokia devices, only much more powerful and cooler) and Microsoft has announced development of MS Office for Iphone will commence soon.

just hold on for the next iphone coming soon.
hmmmm Ex Ex,,,,,,,,,eva redy for a reply smiley smiley
men Appple shud employ u as a PR officer oh grin grin
wel, patiently waiting for d next iphone
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by phatboisly(m): 5:21pm On Apr 05, 2009
as far as smartphones go neither the i phone or the sidekick are in the race.check out blackberry's storm for the real feel of a smartphone.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 2:29am On Apr 06, 2009
phatboisly:

as far as smartphones go neither the i phone or the sidekick are in the race.check out blackberry's storm for the real feel of a smartphone.
Yea, but only verizon has it. undecided
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by texazzpete(m): 7:44am On Apr 06, 2009
phatboisly:

lol. As if the Storm didn't ape the iPhone completely.

Just a look at the thousands of Storm owners griping about the laggy firmware and the gimmicky surepress screen and you'll be turned off this dead duck grin
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by ExInferis(m): 10:30am On Apr 06, 2009
i keep wondering on what basis people keep saying Blackberry is better than the other smartphones out there. at least when we Apple fanboys mention the iphone, we give countless reasons along side screenshots.

most people here keep thinking that paying through the nose for an internet mobile browsing you get hassle free elsewhere is a killer app on the blackberry, or that having push email is the deal sealer. truth is, Blackberry is a SERVICE, and through the Blackberry Connect software almost every smart phone from WinMO to Symbian can do the push mail trick. Hell, even the new N75 (pic below) already does corporate and webmail without BES and does Exchange/Domino nicely via Sync-ML/ActiveSync, and the best mobile browser isnt on blackberry or iphone; its Skyfire, available only on WinMo and Symbian. sure its prone to crashing, but its a Beta afterall.

guys, lets keep things in perspective; if you think a sidekick, say, is a great phone, kindly tell us WHY beyond " its cute, cuddly, fluffy and pink".

one more thing: gabbing on about megapixel cameras, DVB-H, bluetooth, HSDPA, exabyte storage etc doesnt really cut it. why? because every smartphone worth its salt comes loaded with those featutes. they are fairly standard across carriers, manufacturers and users.

we need a phone to have a little something extra beyond the standard fare. whether its in nice widget implementation (Omnia/F480), sleek interface, app store, internet mobile experience etc, it just has to be a little different, imaginative, creative. this way, we can endure the shortcomings.

sure, iphone doesnt have bluetooth, MMS, copy/paste(yet) but has a touchscreen. ok, Blackberry storm has all these and more, but by market sales, popularity, user reviews etc the iphone offers the betrter experience.

so when i say users shouldnt base their buying decisions on MMS, bluetooth etc it makes sense since these features are generic across almost all smart devices. i mean, there really is a thin line betweeen a Nokia E71 and an E66; or a Nokia N95 8gb and N96, or N76 and 3250.

A samsung BlackJack is just slightly away from a motorola Q, etc.

and the various HTC devices almost only have design differences, whether a TouchPro, HD, etc.

samething with balckberrys before the Bold and Storm!

now the one phone that is almost generic but which suddenly im saving for (despite being a WinMO) is the Omnia if only for the turn by turn navigation which ive tried and works wonderfully in naija, as well as the version of OPera Mobile which is almost as good as Skyfire.

Nokia N75 now shipping:

"It's out, Nokia's E75 S60 QWERTY is now shipping according to a feverish Nokia press release. For Espoo, that leading "E" stands for businEss so this slider is all about corporate eMail -- a first handset to ship with Nokia's new eMail user interface -- as well as getting you connected to your personal accounts from Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail. Unfortunately, the decent quad-band GSM / EDGE and dual-band HSPDA data, WiFi, microSD expansion, 3.2 megapixel camera, and a-GPS specs are offset by that puny 2.4-inch QVGA (320 x 240 pixel) display. For our money, we'll be holding out for the 3.5-inch, 640 x 360 pixel N97 QWERTY slider "

www.engadget.com

Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by arsenal4va(m): 11:26am On Apr 06, 2009
@ ex what push email service r u using?

pls dont say mobile me grin
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by ExInferis(m): 2:25pm On Apr 06, 2009
i left blackberry ages ago, now i use iphone which is imap pushed mails.

i dont see anything in mobileme remotely compelling enough to justify $100. if its contacts sync im okay with Ovi and Funambol in the cloud. for local syncing i use Evolution (linux), Windows Mail (Windows PC- eeew), and AddressBook and Entourage (mac) all of which i use.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by platinumnk(f): 3:07pm On Apr 06, 2009
The HTC-8925
is better than all that~ grin
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2009
Ex Inferis,
Thanks a lot.

Ex Inferis:

i left blackberry ages ago, now i use iphone which is imap pushed mails.
lol, I don't see what ppl see in blackberry.
The phones are so ugly, the keypads so small and annoying undecided lipsrsealed

platinumnk:

The HTC-8925
is better than all that~ grin
Any phone that works with T-Mobile is what I need wink grin
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by babaogun(m): 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2009
lynxnoon:

The iphone has got MMS.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Apr 06, 2009
@Ex Inferis,

Since you're so good with phones, give me the "gist" on these two phones wink

Samsung Behold - Rose

T-Mobile G1™ with Google™ - Black

Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 06, 2009
babaogun:

The iphone has got MMS.
What's MMS?
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by jaybee3(m): 4:03pm On Apr 06, 2009
Telecoms standard for sending messages that include multi-media objects (images, video, audio).

In simpler terms, extension of SMS as it allows longer message lengths
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by platinumnk(f): 4:24pm On Apr 06, 2009
My Cuzn got the G1, its really good, if u cant get an unlocked HTC-8925, I would go for the G1, im a cell phone geek~
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 06, 2009
platinumnk:

My Cuzn got the G1, its really good, if u cant get an unlocked HTC-8925, I would go for the G1, im a cell phone geek~
I'm going to ask about that.

What makes a G1 or HTC-8925 so good?
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 06, 2009
iphone is better
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by platinumnk(f): 4:36pm On Apr 06, 2009
^^^If the OP was looking at the Iphone then its obvious that they're looking at a PDA phone,

The G1  was formulated to do things like a PC.
Google it and see.

as for the 8925 , it is not even called a phone, its called a mobile PC, and that what it is literally, I can tether it to my laptop and give it fast running inet connection, it opens adobe file, word, excel, and many others with letting me edit documents and sending them to my email.  My friends call it my "mini me" laptop,  its mainly for power users who looks for a muiltuse funtions in their phone, to me the Iphone is just a fancy touch phone with a even fancier MP3 player

The G1 and HTC 8925 can carry media card up to 16GB maybe even more but i havent see higher,
I have so mp3's on mine and I can upload programs that let me customize my phones MP3 player.
The G1, 8925 and Ipone are all touch screen phone.
But the G1 and 8925 comes witha stylus and a keyboard
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by Lolabbey: 5:18pm On Apr 06, 2009
find dis dificult 2 read,its rada long cheesy
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by ExInferis(m): 5:54pm On Apr 06, 2009
babaogun:

The iphone has got MMS.

please verify and straighten your facts before posting. iphone currently DOES NOT suppor MMS. granted there are ways to RECEIVE MMS via mail workarounds and third party apps, but that is a far cry from OFFICIAL SUPPORT.

MMS support is coming via the 3.0 software update slated for summer (ie from June) and ONLY for the 3G version.

*Toyinrayo:

@Ex Inferis,

Since you're so good with phones, give me the "gist" on these two phones wink

Samsung Behold - Rose

T-Mobile G1™ with Google™ - Black

ive fondled the G1 only once in my life and i wasnt really impressed because Google raised my expectations before Android came out. remember it was the period the iphone was in full swing so their decision to kill multitouch even though the OS is capable still got me stumped. and their App Store variant is just so-so. however with the recent "Cupcake" i expect the phone to improve. i cant really say much more because i didnt use the phone enough to form a decisisve impression and i dont want to echo other blogs and reviews.

as for the Behold i think its funny Samsung has found ONE design concept and is churning out phones all looking the same (Omnia, F480 etc). okay like the G1 ive not used this phone, but it looks a lot like my old F480 which however the looks and cool widgets still sucked.

though the Omnia runs WinMO, this one seems to run the same proprietary horseshit as the F480. sure its got 5mp cam, GPS, and the usual assortment of 3G, bluetooth, PIM functions etc.

iill take an Omnia anyday.

platinumnk:

^^^If the OP was looking at the Iphone then its obvious that they're looking at a PDA phone,

Google it and see.

as for the 8925 , it is not even called a phone, its called a mobile PC, and that what it is literally, I can tether it to my laptop and give it fast running inet connection, it opens adobe file, word, excel, and many others with letting me edit documents and sending them to my email.  My friends call it my "mini me" laptop,  its mainly for power users who looks for a muiltuse funtions in their phone, to me the Iphone is just a fancy touch phone with a even fancier MP3 player

The G1 and HTC 8925 can carry media card up to 16GB maybe even more but i havent see higher,
I have so mp3's on mine and I can upload programs that let me customize my phones MP3 player.

here we go, exactly what i griped on earlier. if tethering and opening office docs qualifies a phone as a "mobile pc" then almost every symbian device, winmo, blackberry etc IS a mobile PC!

ever heard of QuickOffice? its available for almost every smartphone known to man.

and as for full html browsing, Opera Mini makes that happen even on dumb phones.

my definition of a mobile pc is any phone that supports wifi, has a good html browser, integrates seamlessly with the corporate environment, does office docs, etc.

and that definition means almost ANY Smartphone IS a mobile PC.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by platinumnk(f): 6:05pm On Apr 06, 2009
Both the G1 and 8925 have wifi
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by texazzpete(m): 6:16pm On Apr 06, 2009
platinumnk:

Google it and see.

The 8925 aka HTC TyTN 2 is a pretty good phone. However it has the disadvantage of running Windows Mobile  grin
Not a bad OS by any means, but beginning to show it's age these days. Add to that the undeniable fact that it's rather bulky these days.
I'm surprised you keep on about the 8925 when the Touch Pro is out there. It does everything the 8925 can do, with a whole lot more panache.

I cringe everytime i hear someone describe his phone as a 'mobile PC'. Please desist  grin

The G1 certainly shows some promise.
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by platinumnk(f): 6:24pm On Apr 06, 2009
texazzpete:

The 8925 aka HTC TyTN 2 is a pretty good phone. However it has the disadvantage of running Windows Mobile grin
Not a bad OS by any means, but beginning to show it's age these days. Add to that the undeniable fact that it's rather bulky these days.
I'm surprised you keep on about the 8925 when the Touch Pro is out there. It does everything the 8925 can do, with a whole lot more panache.

I cringe everytime i hear someone describe his phone as a 'mobile PC'. Please desist grin

The G1 certainly shows some promise.

Yeah i was plannignon getting it for my birthday but a lotta ppl told me to wait for a newer version, my Tilt has never given me problems and i rather wait to get a phone to run into them.

They have some touchscreen mortorolas that are out in china that are pretty good, i was considering one, because i wanna be the only one with my phone~

But if i really had the money to pour on a phone i would get that touch screen Nokia model (forgot model #) but its amazingly sick I saw a poster for in 9ja , and I've been craving it, Nokias have the best OPS imo~ grin
Re: Iphone Or SideKick, Which One Is More Reliable? by texazzpete(m): 7:04pm On Apr 06, 2009
platinumnk:

But if i really had the money to pour on a phone i would get that touch screen Nokia model (forgot model #) but its amazingly sick I saw a poster for in 9ja , and I've been craving it, Nokias have the best OPS imo~ grin

The Nokia 5800?! ROTFLMAO!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Get Loan On Your Smartphone Using Gtbank's Quickcredit Platform / Data War Continue As Mtn Launch 1G For #500 / Infinix Hot S (X521) Official Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.