Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Disciplining Children - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Disciplining Children (15806 Views)

Mom Thanks Total Stranger For Disciplining Her Child On Playground! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disciplining Children by midolian(m): 10:55pm On Sep 06, 2015
osifred:

Tell me my friend if for some reason unknown to you your child of 8 start urinating inside your fridge which of this strategies as listed above will you use to handle the child?
hahaahhahahahahaaha.. cheesy. You don't mean it!

I ll go spiritual, brother. Flogging him won't take that madness out of him cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 06, 2015
agarawu23:
There is know how you can train nowadays kids without flogging. You wanna seat a 2yr old kid huh? Wetin you wan tell am grin

Hahaha. Why will any one wanna cane a 2year.

Who says you can't talk to a two year anyway. If you don't sit them down den just bend and talk.

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by whatofyou: 11:21pm On Sep 06, 2015
midolian:
I don't know how else to qualify it other than child abuse, buh its worse than that. Beating/caning/spanking is much worse than child abuse. I was a victim of this..and to be frank, it hasn't helped me in anyway. It causes only makes one stubborn, apart from the physical harm it may cause..(I ve got a nike scar on my hand to show whoeva is interested)

I believe there are a million and one ways to discipline a child other than flogging him/her like a horse...Some ways that work are; witholding privileges, rewarding them for some of the good things they do OR telling them the possible rewards that comes after every good thing they do and repeatedly telling them the consequences of the bad things they do, and by practicing what you(the parent) preach ..

I have come to accept that we all are unique-- what works for/on me may not necessary work for/on you. In my arsenal (talking; caning; other punishments like kneeling, picking pin et c) of reforming the younger generation I administer all of them at once on the new offenders, yet noting the one most effective on him or her. As time goes on, what may keep him from straying into evil behaviours may be the application of 'that' one item or the mixture of two or more of the items on arsenal. Nevertheless, to err is human.
Re: Disciplining Children by Ugosample(m): 11:22pm On Sep 06, 2015
histemple:
There is no generally endorsed procedure for training a child. Just like all marriages are different and requires different approach that suits each, so it is for punishing or correcting a child.

We must also understand that DIALOGUE is another form of correcting/punishing a child

More so, the age of the child should be considered. It's is senseless to whip a 18-year-old-------if conversation can't work at that age, only prayers can. There is no point advising a baby of 2 years old always--------Whipping may serve better for such, sometimes.

Just imagine if we were not whipped in nursery / primary and junior secondary schools. Now why is it a taboo to whip an undergraduate? The answer is simple------different approaches based on age.

We must also know that punishment is only intended to CORRECT the child. It makes no sense if the child is only made to feel excruciating pains without getting the message.

We must also guide against the following;
----Making the child to lose self confidence.
----Creating so much fears in the child.
----Making the child to be happier when you are away.
----Not letting the child know when he/she is being punished.

As we must correct erring child, we must also understand that certain traits must be pardoned as they are natural and normal within some age bracket.

This is so true. One of the very bad effects of beating is that it ruins the self esteem of the child in question that drags on into adulthood

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by Kolade354(m): 11:27pm On Sep 06, 2015
The whites don't beat there children and they are more better and responsible citizen than we wey go. Beat pikin like Horse.........Criminal pple!!!

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by Luckymay(f): 11:28pm On Sep 06, 2015
Jollyjoy:
Whipping is not the best way to discipline children especially teens, the best you can do is to sit them down and talk to them..make them understand life isnt all that rosy....whipping in my own opinion shld be limited to children below 16.....
Re: Disciplining Children by Luckymay(f): 11:30pm On Sep 06, 2015
Jollyjoy:
Whipping is not the best way to discipline children especially teens, the best you can do is to sit them down and talk to them..make them understand life isnt all that rosy....whipping in my own opinion shld be limited to children below 16.....
solidly behind u. Xpecially dat whipping, i still remember mum flogging me even at age 17 infront of my younger ones. Its very demeaning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disciplining Children by ibkgab001: 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2015
i thought you are a Muslim?
Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 06, 2015
Luckymay:

solidly behind u. Xpecially dat whipping, i still remember mum flogging me even at age 17 infront of my younger ones. Its very demeaning.
yours is even better...dad actually thrashed me @age 19,an incident that has remained ever green in my memory.....chaii...to think my frnd was even there!!

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by Luckymay(f): 11:38pm On Sep 06, 2015
Jollyjoy:
yours is even better...dad actually thrashed me @age 19,an incident that has remained ever green in my memory.....chaii...to think my frnd was even there!!
oh my God. Dats even worse. Anyways those days are gone now

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 06, 2015
Ugosample:

This is so true. One of the very bad effects of beating is that it ruins the self esteem of the child in question that drags on into adulthood
it does nt ruin any self esteem mr....whipping a child below 16 might point out his wrong on the other hand,it useless flogging a child above that cos it might nt have an impact on him.....i think self esteem have to do with exposure....my opinion tho.

3 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 06, 2015
Hey house, i got this e-book from one foreign sport site on Virtual Football betting, i don use am myself and it worked but on a gentle wining style.
It showed 7 different playing strategies in VFL betting.
Though wasnt free. I paid for it and i av even bought hundreds of ebooks b4God blessed me wit dis.
The patterns and tricks discussed and revealed in it are working on Nairabet and Merrybet like madt! if u ar intrested in getting it, i am reselling it at a cost of N500 which is no where near wat i bought it for. U can contact me to get it click http:///7oE19B. Then fill your account details

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 06, 2015
Luckymay:

oh my God. Dats even worse. Anyways those days are gone now
yes jare..gone are those days....
Re: Disciplining Children by hausaboi: 11:59pm On Sep 06, 2015
CLeAtHead:
I only believe in smacking and that's rarely. Corporal punishments have no place in this new generation full of rebels. I find "Grounding" Them is more effective

Kaji wawa. Is grounding them a punishment, Oyinbo this Maija oo.

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by hausaboi: 11:59pm On Sep 06, 2015
CLeAtHead:
I only believe in smacking and that's rarely. Corporal punishments have no place in this new generation full of rebels. I find "Grounding" Them is more effective

Kaji wawa. Is grounding them a punishment, Oyinbo this is Naija oo.
Re: Disciplining Children by whatofyou: 12:03am On Sep 07, 2015
osifred:

Tell me my friend if for some reason unknown to you your child of 8 start urinating inside your fridge which of this strategies as listed above will you use to handle the child?

Start by flogging the wisdom of God into his misbehaving brain. Then, while he is kneeling down with his hands raised up, talk to him about how 'poisonous' the urine is. That urine is so evil man had to make a special bowl for it to be deposited in. You can work out other talks that will grip his mind. Now, tell him to collect all the urine in the fridge into a cup you don't use for food things, like kerosene or fuel cup. When he is done collecting it, with an I-mean-what-I-am-saying look, tell him he should drink it. He should start crying again now, pleading with you to forgive him.
After some few minutes of you egging him on to drink, with him pleading of course, follow him into the toilet and watch him as you tell him to pour it into the W.C. It doesn't end there. Next, make him get a rag, bucket, water, soap or detergent, and make him clean the fridge as many times as possible, pointing out a part that has not been thoroughly cleaned (even if it has) any time he tells you he is done. If he ever repeats it again in his life again, send me ten million naira into my account with bank PHB.

2 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 12:13am On Sep 07, 2015
missgray:
I think whipping a child always isn't the best, they might get resistant and used to it. When we were kids, my mum spanks us alot when we do something wrong, what amazes me is how she never got tired of doing it. The whips only comes once in awhile from my dad when she reports to him grin grin . That man doesn't pity sad cry . Instead we will resort to begging our mum while crying " mummy pls beg daddy, we will not do it again" grin cheesy good old memories. Now we are all grown and responsible ladies and gentlemen grin cheesy when it comes to parenting, nigerian parents dont kid with this verse of the bible..proverb 13:24
You're very right on that resistant part. I'm a teenager and I'm so cane-resistant. In the Girls' Government Secondary school I just passed out, we were all cane's best friends. For every mistake, knowingly or unknowingly and even some things that were right we did, we'd be fed with whips or other forms of corporal punishment. If a class is making a noise and a teacher comes around, all the students, the noise-makers, those who were already dreaming about their valedictory service and Matric and the neutral would be punished. But do you know what happens after the next 5-mins?-A noise tuned from volume 5 to 12. On Friday assemblies, offenders would be called up to the assembly to be whipped with the hope of making it deterrent, but after the whip if the offender 'dusts it off', she'd be hailed. There was a girl who joined my class in SS2 and would catch cold and weep like a woman whose child was eaten by wolves at the sight of canes, but I'm pleased to let you know that when we got to SS3, she upgraded sporadically to the queen of 'whip-choppers'. Some students would even provoke teachers presumed as wicked to beat them till their arms become weak: that was why I seldom punished the 'Juniors' I was supervising. I persuaded them telling them why they should do the responsibilities assigned to them, the benefits and the repercussions of not doing them. Eventhough not all of them listened because some were born goats, I was able to come out successful in my duty as a prefect more than many counterpacts who spanked.

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by sladimeji(m): 12:18am On Sep 07, 2015
Its cool joor...these three has been restoring kids back to normal since time immemorial..na because dem no dey apply these to oyinbo kids na him make dem stupid

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by charlesucheh(m): 1:50am On Sep 07, 2015
Whiping won't solve anything!
Using myself as a case study, can recall that my mum use to do the whiping stuff on me, but as i grew older, the kind of peer i choose to relate with helped shaped my life to what it is today!!!
Not those bashing, cos i knew i would one day grow pass them and will have to take critical decisions that would hv either broken or shaped me!!!
Creating a sound avenue for them to psychologically thing and choose positive directions in their endeavours is pertinent!!!not the bashing!b though as Africans, it is usually recommended especially when OGBANJE don enter the PICKIN body!!

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by optimusprime2(m): 5:04am On Sep 07, 2015
mutter:
Mostly parent beat children because they have no other means of asserting their authority over a child. However a child should acknowledge your authority without being in fear of a violent attack.
We often make mistakes by starting too late with discipline but by age three a child should clearly be able to identify that it better listen to mum and dad.
Many roads lead to rome but why choose the aggressive road! Growing up it seemed quite natural to beat children but later I came to realize that it was abuse and nothing else.
When my kids do something wrong they are really scared of me because my God I don't stop talking. I can go on for over an hour and might decide to repeat the lecture two times in a day going on for several days grin grin
That lecture will include God and man, Bible, proverbs, history and you can just see the agony on the teenagers face when I go on talking and talking and preaching. Especially as they have heard most of it before. It works miracles.
Also you need to give teenagers some amount of freedom and a healthy amount of thrust. We parents think it must always go our way! IT mustn't. Listen to their views and compromise with them. It works miracles. My kids know there are some topics I don't compromise about but i I ask you to clean your room and you tell me you are not in the mood , you want to do it later, then why not! Even adults are sometimes not in the mood. And when it comes to decisions about their future- it is their future and not yours so they also have a say.
Most time we have a problem reaching to our children because they don't thrust us.
I remember once my teenage son came up to me and told me he thought his girlfriend was pregnant!
Inside I was screaming loud!!!!! Oh God ! How could you! How dare you! Are you already intimate with a girl! I could just get up and shake you!
But I had to tie myself down.. keep calm! He confided in you! Don't betray the thrust! Well thank God it ended up being a false alarm but I sat two of them down and gave them a serious talk.
The same applies to girls. The best way to keep a girl decent is to boost her self esteem. Make her know she is a queen and worthy of love and respect. Cater for her financial needs to the best of your ability and show he love so she doesn't go out in search of it.
The greatest factor why children go astray is because they are unhappy at home. Then they go to the wrong friends and feel they have a family and are loved. That is why it is so important that children have a happy home, a home where there is peace and they always want to come back to.
Love your kids that is what they need above all else and express that love. Also learn to have fun with your kid`s, laugh crack jokes do things together. You looses some of the "respect" but you gain something special. A child that thrust you .
And most importantly, when a child has done something really wrong! When it has fallen into the well... then help the child out and give love , support and understanding they will respect you more for it.
Some parents really go crazy when the child has committed something serious. The child is in big problem and then you add to it. Where does the child find shelter. That is the time to show the child love and support it to stand up and walk proud.
Thank Heavens you were not my Parent, I would have been a lost cause with your rather passive approach to instilling discipline

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by ganiujmh: 6:17am On Sep 07, 2015
It is a combination of all these. You need to identify how your children react when you talk to them as well as when you use other methods. Be cautious not to stick to one method of discipline because as they grow up there is tendencies to build resistance.

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by ugoezeik(m): 7:05am On Sep 07, 2015
agarawu23:
There is know how you can train nowadays kids without flogging. You wanna seat a 2yr old kid huh? Wetin you wan tell am grin
tellam say u giv him mama belle
Re: Disciplining Children by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 07, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:
A parent should rather be a good example, Be available as a friend and confidant for a child not a boss , Be caring and loving not mean and harsh before the child grows wings and develop a defense strategy to beat the parent's tough display.
For a child who has the parent as the love af his/her life, He would be free to share problems like he would with his best friend and would automatically guard against doing things that would hurt the feelings of the parent. Even if the child will have excesses it won't be terribly bad to arouse worry, simple 'I don't like that you did' solves the issue grin...

As for the teen that lacked good parental care and guidance when he was a kid, beating won't help at all, condemnation or shouting at the young lad won't , Infact talking sense won't do the job 100 too.

However , its never too late to show love. smiley. Tha LOVE, CARE and ATTENTION the teen lacked as a kid can actually be injected steadily and patiently into the child. With patience, the child will respond in the affirmative I believe . You don't have to hit , shout at , insult or condemn. Just calm down and be your child's friend.

Spoken well except for one thing: your child is not your friend but your child whom you are to nurture, direct and reprimand when he misbehaves. This "treat your child as your friend" syndrome has made so many kids get unruly and take their parents for granted. You should be close to your child but as a parent and not as a friend.

3 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by bukatyne(f): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2015
mutter:
Mostly parent beat children because they have no other means of asserting their authority over a child. However a child should acknowledge your authority without being in fear of a violent attack.
We often make mistakes by starting too late with discipline but by age three a child should clearly be able to identify that it better listen to mum and dad.
Many roads lead to rome but why choose the aggressive road! Growing up it seemed quite natural to beat children but later I came to realize that it was abuse and nothing else.
When my kids do something wrong they are really scared of me because my God I don't stop talking. I can go on for over an hour and might decide to repeat the lecture two times in a day going on for several days grin grin
That lecture will include God and man, Bible, proverbs, history and you can just see the agony on the teenagers face when I go on talking and talking and preaching. Especially as they have heard most of it before. It works miracles.
Also you need to give teenagers some amount of freedom and a healthy amount of thrust. We parents think it must always go our way! IT mustn't. Listen to their views and compromise with them. It works miracles. My kids know there are some topics I don't compromise about but i I ask you to clean your room and you tell me you are not in the mood , you want to do it later, then why not! Even adults are sometimes not in the mood. And when it comes to decisions about their future- it is their future and not yours so they also have a say.
Most time we have a problem reaching to our children because they don't thrust us.
I remember once my teenage son came up to me and told me he thought his girlfriend was pregnant!
Inside I was screaming loud!!!!! Oh God ! How could you! How dare you! Are you already intimate with a girl! I could just get up and shake you!
But I had to tie myself down.. keep calm! He confided in you! Don't betray the thrust! Well thank God it ended up being a false alarm but I sat two of them down and gave them a serious talk.
The same applies to girls. The best way to keep a girl decent is to boost her self esteem. Make her know she is a queen and worthy of love and respect. Cater for her financial needs to the best of your ability and show he love so she doesn't go out in search of it.
The greatest factor why children go astray is because they are unhappy at home. Then they go to the wrong friends and feel they have a family and are loved. That is why it is so important that children have a happy home, a home where there is peace and they always want to come back to.
Love your kids that is what they need above all else and express that love. Also learn to have fun with your kid`s, laugh crack jokes do things together. You looses some of the "respect" but you gain something special. A child that thrust you .
And most importantly, when a child has done something really wrong! When it has fallen into the well... then help the child out and give love , support and understanding they will respect you more for it.
Some parents really go crazy when the child has committed something serious. The child is in big problem and then you add to it. Where does the child find shelter. That is the time to show the child love and support it to stand up and walk proud.

This is very classic I must confess....

Everything I plan is just here

Being a worthy example

Providing a loving atmosphere

Becoming their confidant

Talking the talk. I dreaded them and my mother starts without a prompt grin. I did not even need to do something wrong.

Training early... 100% with you. We like to bend dried fishes in Nigeria and get hypocrites and pretenders. A child is 'small' till he/she is almost 5 (after the character has been formed) then we want to impart the training of life. When I tell people my siblings & I grew up amidst glass and open shelves for electronics and a mini-library, they find it hard to believe because they claimed to tear seats, destroy electronics, drag things, break glass shelves etc. I will surely sit with mom when that time comes.

Studying a child to know the right way to train.... Also remember that your post about your mom and your sister's friends.

You get mind sha... How you handled your son's case.

I cannot promise my kids no spanking sha grin It will not be the go to solution anyways.

2 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by rossychik(f): 8:01am On Sep 07, 2015
[i][/i]d thing is most times we as pparents don't start our trainin as early as possible, frm a toddler start bendin ur child to what u want him 2 be. Some tips are
1 donot always give d child all his every whims
2knw when to advise, spank, or flog as d case I.e offence may be
3 love n care that way they can relate wit u easily nd above all
4 pray for ur children. It is a well known fact dt in Africa there are some black magic, so some of their behavior may raise eyebrows play safe by always remembering them in ur prayer.
I am typing out of experience as parent and as teacher

2 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by freecocoa(f): 8:15am On Sep 07, 2015
I think really talking to(not yelling o) grounding and some other forms of punishment which doesn't involve physical hitting will do, when the kids are at the age where they can understand what's being said/done, you can be stern and firm without resorting to the traditional method of discipline as we know it in Nigeria.

I believe if one must spank, it should be when the kids are still toddlers(atleast they are yet to fully understand things) because I think it's very important to teach kids not to hit others and I don't know how that can be achieved, if you go about hitting them, parents are afterall, the best example for their kids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disciplining Children by freecocoa(f): 8:27am On Sep 07, 2015
Jollyjoy:
it does nt ruin any self esteem mr....whipping a child below 16 might point out his wrong on the other hand,it useless flogging a child above that cos it might nt have an impact on him.....i think self esteem have to do with exposure....my opinion tho.
My sister, self esteem starts from the family o, you can't always be beating a child,telling him/her how useless he/she is and expect that child to have a healthy dosage of self esteem, charity does begin at home.

3 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by fairheven: 9:26am On Sep 07, 2015
kITATITA:
Don't even compare Nigeria with America.
I tell you that Nigeria is a more violent society than America. Lawless Nigerians would lynch a pickpocket or someone accused of witchcraft without bathing an eyelid. I shudder to think what would happen if Nigerians have access to guns like we have in America. You can't even drive out of your Nigerian neighborhood at 11pm.

Obviously your DAD took your discipline to an extreme measure and I feel your pain, but who knows what wud have bcome of you without discipline,even the bible says that "God chastise,as in discipline those he loves"
Today I just see Indomie-bread-and-butter kids, with no "street-credibility",no value system(my nebo 3yrs old son is familiar wit the mother ,that her orders are like child's-play to him) and we are really descending to chaos.

If my Son misbehaved outside and someone corrects him either by flogging or whatever measures,first I should be ashamed of myself for not training that child well enough to the extent of an outsider correcting him,and secondly I wud be greatful to the individual for caring enough to discipline my child.

2 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by lurlah2014(f): 9:28am On Sep 07, 2015
for me spanking is better of than the two

1 Like

Re: Disciplining Children by Topman0001(m): 9:35am On Sep 07, 2015
Jollyjoy:
u made a good point but sincerely my dad was still flogging me at 22, i used to call my upbringing a millitary training. It got to a stage i suddenly became arrogant and would repeatedly do what dad said i shouldn't do. He stopped flogging and i composed myself. It helped though. Today my family is proud of me, my employer and my colleagues are all proud of me.

3 Likes

Re: Disciplining Children by AreTheyBitches(m): 10:10am On Sep 07, 2015
Renylee:
spare the rod.....

Spoil the rod, kill the child

you know the rest.
Re: Disciplining Children by madaleeda(m): 10:17am On Sep 07, 2015
kITATITA:
Don't even compare Nigeria with America.
I tell you that Nigeria is a more violent society than America. Lawless Nigerians would lynch a pickpocket or someone accused of witchcraft without bathing an eyelid. I shudder to think what would happen if Nigerians have access to guns like we have in America. You can't even drive out of your Nigerian neighborhood at 11pm.

i will tend to disagree with you on this assertion, in America there are over 11,000 gun related violence among teenage peer groups in a recorded year. nigeria youths aren't as violent as the "don't beat, but just talk generation" been breed in america. such violence is as a result of a system that doesn't take responsibility for training the child before he or she is able to define the clear difference between right and wrong. in a society where norms are based on personal baseless belief, then the inevitable truth is the equally baseless purpose would arise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facing The Hypocrisy Of Men / 3D Wall Panel @4500 per square meter / Today Is Children's Day: Say Something To The Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.