Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,141 members, 7,953,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:51 PM

The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. (845 Views)

I Am No Longer A Christian, God Has Failed Me / "Women are made for men" -The Christian God / An Athiest Turned Christian. God Thank You For This Last Chance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by NoContract(m): 11:04am On Sep 06, 2015
The common apologetic response to the question of how God feels about slavery is that he definitely opposed the historical tradition. The long-time practice of holding innocent individuals against their will could very well be the worst crime humankind has ever committed. The Hebrew god, who is purported to love his people to a degree that we could never comprehend, would certainly have to declare some explicit opposition to slavery, wouldn’t he? Truth be told, the Bible contains not one mention of God’s desire to end slavery. Out of all the “thou shalt nots” and multitude of rules that he provides for us; out of all the chapters that God spends giving us intricate directions for making candles, tents, and temples; and out of all the chapters that God inspires the authors to spend on telling us who begat whom; not once does he ever take the time to abolish, admonish, or reject slavery.

Because God is omniscient, he knew a time would arrive when the results of his silence would include the capture, torture, castration, dehumanization, and/or murder of tens of millions of Africans around the world. Even with his unlimited knowledge, God still neglects to spend two seconds of his infinite time to ensure that we have his documented denouncement of slavery. Using elementary deduction and common sense on this scrap of information, we’re already able to conclude that it wasn’t displeasing in the eyes of the Hebrew god for a more powerful individual to own a lesser.

Does the presumably apathetic preference of God toward slavery mean that we’re left with a distant ruler demonstrably indifferent toward the institution? In such a case, perhaps he wants us to use our judgment on whether or not it’s morally acceptable to own other people. Regrettably, an in depth analysis of the Bible tells us that this cannot be the case either. As hard as it may be to accept, even for those doubtful of the Bible’s authenticity, God and the multitude of his appointed biblical authors are strongly vocal in their advocation of slavery. In fact, prior to the American Civil War, slaveholders worldwide used many of the passages we’ll examine to justify their nightmarish treatment of kidnapped Africans.

The orders supposedly given by God are clear enough that I can honestly see how a mentally conditioned Christian would condone or support slavery. If society taught such individuals from birth that the Bible is infallible, even when it drastically varies from their own understanding, many slaveholders would separate from generated cognitive dissonance by submitting to the presumably superior knowledge held by the higher power. Those who broke free from the Christian mindset, illogically justified their way around it, or never supported such religious hatred would eventually coalesce as the abolitionists.

In this modern age, we’d like to pretend that the upcoming passages couldn’t be found in the Bible. Even so, that won’t make them go away. Again, the church often neglects the Old Testament due to the uneasy feelings that its controversial topics, such as slavery, create. Consequently, this chapter may be the only opportunity that Christian readers have to investigate what information we can extract from these slavery-related biblical passages. Certain verses will prominently show that the so-called divinely inspired people speaking on behalf of the Hebrew god unequivocally state that he was in support of slave ownership.

Before we start analyzing specific passages, however, I need to clarify a bit of terminology. The 1600s King James Version of the Bible often uses servant in the English translation to describe people with what we’ll temporarily designate as “freedom deprivation.” Since the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and the Hebrew term ebed has an ambiguous meaning of slave or servant, some passages might be too vague to translate effectively without supplemental information. However, the New Testament was penned in Greek; and the Greek words doulos and douloi, meaning slave(s), are most often used to describe people with freedom deprivation. The Greeks had an alternative word, diakonos, for a hired servant or assistant. The authors only use this term when the circumstances obviously depict a voluntary work service.
Because the writers of the New Testament knew exactly what they meant when using the term doulos, we can conclude that ebed refers to a slave when spoken of under the same doulos circumstances. We also have the luxury of relying on the enormous amount of context clues provided in Old Testament passages. Be careful not to let the KJV Bible fool you with its use of the term servant or any derivatives of the word (bondservant, maidservant, manservant, etc.) throughout the Old Testament unless they’re used in the proper context. The New International Version and many other modern translations of the Bible wisely correct most of these assuredly intentional mistranslations.

The “Origin” Of Slavery

The first biblical mention of slavery occurs during the lives of Noah and his three sons. After the flood, one of Noah’s sons, Ham, discovers the only man worthy enough to save from the flood lying naked and drunk in a tent. As Ham informs his brothers Shem and Japheth about their drunk and naked father, the two of them cover him up without looking. When Noah finds out about the seemingly harmless incident, he curses Ham’s son, Canaan, and, and orders him to be a slave to his two uncles. On this day, slavery is supposedly born (Genesis 9:20-27). Thus, the origin of slavery arises from a single young man whose father made the “mistake” of seeing his father in the nude. I find it entirely fitting that the root of slavery would be as ridiculous as the institution itself. As a matter of much lesser importance, God punishes yet another individual for the actions of someone over whom this young man has no conceivable control.

The Bible later tells us that each of Noah’s sons went their own ways and repopulated the earth. We know Shem and his descendants stayed in the Middle East because Abraham, David, and Jesus were among his recorded descendants (Genesis 11:10-26, Matthew 1). In pre-Civil War America, slaveholders often speculated that the descendants of Ham and the cursed Canaan eventually ended up deep into Africa. For this reason, they deemed the kidnapping of innocent Africans to be perfectly justifiable since the righteous Noah initiated the practice. Moreover, God has already established his acceptance of punishing the offspring of those who make mistakes, as was the case for Ham and Canaan.
Although slaveowners based their rationalizations solely on faulty premises, such deductions created a logical conclusion once you ignore their uninformed fallacy of accepting the Bible as indispensable truth. In this somewhat more enlightened society, most of us obviously realize that slavery isn’t a logical or humane concept. We should say the same about the decision to punish one person for the actions of another. I wish we could also say that God has made similar improvements.

At one point, God even informs Abraham that his descendents would be slaves for four hundred years sometime in the near future (Genesis 15:13). What God is actually expressing to Abraham is that he’s not going to do anything to stop this imminent enslavement. Back in the real world, however, archeological evidence indicates that slavery existed throughout the region well before the lives of Noah and Abraham. Thus, these aren’t the true historical origins of slavery. However, if you believe that the Bible is free from error, your blind assumption forces you to deny the obvious conclusion based on scientific evidence and accept the orders contained in the rest of this composition as God’s true desires.

Excerpts from Biblical Nonsense: A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians Paperback – January 19, 2005
by Jason Long
Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 06, 2015
cool
Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by MISSNORA(f): 11:04am On Sep 06, 2015
Cool
Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by kossyablaze(m): 11:04am On Sep 06, 2015
Ok

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by menesheh(m): 11:15am On Sep 06, 2015
The bible need to be re-edited to accommodate thou shall not enslave or own your fellow human as property

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by johnydon22(m): 11:53am On Sep 06, 2015
menesheh:
The bible need to be re-edited to accommodate thou shall not enslave or own your fellow human as property

Thou shall not rape too

Not rape and pay her bride price and subject her to living with her rapist all her life...

1 Like

Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by menesheh(m): 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2015
johnydon22:

Thou shall not rape too

Not rape and pay her bride price and subject her to living with her rapist all her life...

in the process of re-editing it, there is possibility that it may be scrapped altogether

1 Like

Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by nobilis: 4:02pm On Sep 06, 2015
Oya! Christians come with your counter-attack.
Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by gbaskiphylle: 4:19pm On Sep 06, 2015
Waiting for christians to say something about this....I mean those christians who hold The bible as inerrant...
Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by frank317: 4:48pm On Sep 06, 2015
And people believe this rubbish like their lives depends on it. Never in my life have I seen multitude bask is such stupidity.

1 Like

Re: The Christian God’s Stance On Slavery. by NoContract(m): 4:44pm On Aug 28, 2018
frank317:
And people believe this rubbish like their lives depends on it. Never in my life have I seen multitude bask is such stupidity.

My brother, if I tell you the thing no tire me, na lie l lie.

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Scriptures Say About The Papacy? / I Was So Amazed Not To See This News Headline On Nairaland!!! / Why You Must Preach - A Challenging Writup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.