Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? (891 Views)

Man Caught Stealing Money From Church's Offering In Ghana (video) / Is It Better To Be Honest And Poor Or Dishonest And Rich? / Man Caught Stealing From Church Offering In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Jrush(m): 11:14am On Sep 06, 2015
I am someone who is very passionate about the poor and I love helping anytime I have the means and the opportunity. on this faithful day I went to church and I only had a single note for offering and I couldn't break it down.. so instead of giving my offering I decided to put the money in the help the poor box outside the church. Also I prefer giving more on the help the poor box than offering so please is it wrong ?
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by MISSNORA(f): 11:15am On Sep 06, 2015
The poor needs it more
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Juxtified(m): 11:16am On Sep 06, 2015
Give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Norenal(f): 11:17am On Sep 06, 2015
Jrush:
I am someone who is very passionate about the poor and I love helping anytime I have the means and the opportunity. on this faithful day I went to church and I only had a single note for offering and I couldn't break it down.. so instead of giving my offering I decided to put the money in the help the poor box outside the church. Also I prefer giving more on the help the poor box than offering so please is it wrong ?
For as long as you're doing with a good mind its not bad. #my_opinion
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Jrush(m): 11:25am On Sep 06, 2015
Juxtified:
Sorry please how can you know what belongs to God ?

2 Likes

Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 06, 2015
In as much as your intent is to help the needy, then its not wrong. You are absolutely demonstrating the love Christ talked about. In my opinion, giving is not limited to our church offerings alone so u've done well sire. Shalom!

1 Like

Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by CircleOfWilis: 11:48am On Sep 06, 2015
To the needy, be it church or street ..Jesus is everywhere
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 06, 2015
Juxtified:
Plz don't quote the Bible out of context!!!

1 Like

Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by BrightEye(m): 11:53am On Sep 06, 2015
Jrush:

good question here......

Btw, i will like to add to this discussion by saying that the joy i feel whenever i give money to someone in need, is very much morethan the joy i feel in giving out church offerings.

1 Like

Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Jrush(m): 11:59am On Sep 06, 2015
BrightEye:

good question here......

Btw, i will like to add to this discussion by saying that the joy i feel whenever i give money to someone in need, is very much morethan the joy i feel in giving out church offerings.
yes and when I help someone only the smile on their face can keep me happy for the rest of the day, while offerings just looks like a tradition...
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Juxtified(m): 12:32pm On Sep 06, 2015
Jrush:

Good question sir.
If you read and meditate on the Word of God then this readily becomes apparent to u. Giving to the poor is something every one of us takes pride in, but that doesn't remove the fact that we need to give unto God in form of offerings.
Read 1 cor 16:2
Don't get me wrong, what I'm saying is give to the poor as much as u want to, and give God his also.
Your giving in church is actually an act of worship
Don't forget the POOR WIDOW in Mark 12:41-44 who out of her own poverty still came to the church to give an offering! She could as well have kept it to herself, or given it to any other person. Remember also the widow in 1Kings 17: 7-24 who decided to give to the man of God instead of her self and son.
However in all these things, have it in ur mind His Word which says : For I desired mercy, and
not sacrifice; and the KNOWLEDGE OF GOD
more than burnt offerings (Hosea 6:6) I believe when you know God for yourself He'll guide ur decisions.
I rest my case.
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Jrush(m): 12:41pm On Sep 06, 2015
Juxtified:

Good question sir.
If you read and meditate on the Word of God then this readily becomes apparent to u. Giving to the poor is something every one of us takes pride in, but that doesn't remove the fact that we need to give unto God in form of offerings.
Read 1 cor 16:2
Don't get me wrong, what I'm saying is give to the poor as much as u want to, and give God his also.
Your giving in church is actually an act of worship
Don't forget the POOR WIDOW in Mark 12:41-44 who out of her own poverty still came to the church to give an offering! She could as well have kept it to herself, or given it to any other person. Remember also the widow in 1Kings 17: 7-24 who decided to give to the man of God instead of her self and son.
However in all these things, have it in ur mind His Word which says : For I desired mercy, and
not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God
more than burnt offerings (Hosea 6:6)
honestly I don't take pride in giving to the poor I just made it an obligation to myself...
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by ShayGirl(f): 12:45pm On Sep 06, 2015
By giving to both d needy and to d church, we r improving d ministry of God, so, any of which im priviledged to, i do, if nt d both

1 Like

Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Juxtified(m): 12:45pm On Sep 06, 2015
Jrush:

honestly I don't take pride in giving to the poor I just made it an obligation to myself...
Lol. To me its more of a thing of pride to me. I'm like ...yeah, I've been able to put a smile on someone's face today, up me!
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by ShayGirl(f): 12:57pm On Sep 06, 2015
[quote author=Juxtified post=37728480]
Lol. To me its more of a thing of pride[size=8pt][/size] to me. I'm like ...yeah, I've been able to put a smile on someone's face today, up me![/quote

grin grin grin. Funny you!!
Making someone smile is a thing of joy to God
...dnt u think?? So where is pride coming from.??
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by Juxtified(m): 4:08pm On Sep 06, 2015
[quote author=ShayGirl post=37728770][/quote] There's a difference between having PRIDE in your actions and being PROUD.
Re: The Poor Or Church (offering) Who Would You Give Alms To ? by vooks: 4:13pm On Sep 06, 2015
Jrush:

They are no mutual exclusives, it's like aksin you to choose between saving your mother and your father from a sinking boat if you had a chance to save one.

Give to the poor and support the church.

The gospel is preached in words(evangelism) and deed(charity). So join a church with a charity program and you can bet your giving to church will support both

(1) (Reply)

CONFIRMED: Thursday September 24 Is Eid-el-kabir (sallah) / In A Mothers Womb Were Two Babies One Ask: Do You Believe In Life After Delivery / Please HELP!!! Is This Good Or Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.