Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good (4480 Views)

Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / Best Nigerian Movies / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by soi(m): 2:53pm On Apr 05, 2009
I am really moved by the way Nigerian Movies are patronized along the west African coast. The surprising part of it is the fact that Francophone nations patronize them as well. Nigerian movie stars are treated as Hollywood stars. Many West African movie makers take Nigerian movies as their standard. Many Imitate Nigerian movies and even go as far as looking for folks like Jim Iyke, Genevieve etc to boost their production. This makes me wonder. Are Nigerians movies really that good.

Well don't blame me. I am a Nigerian, I lived in Nigeria for most of my adult years. I act as well so I can criticize. maybe I am blind. Most moves are incoherent, most actors/actresses can't enter into character. Some cram and release. Talk of the picture, sound track. For the editing, most times you see continuity flaws etc. Are we there yet? Do we actually deserve this hype?

Let me know your thoughts and your experience as well
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by tpia: 8:27am On Apr 06, 2009
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by tpia: 8:32am On Apr 06, 2009
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by kevd2: 3:08pm On Apr 06, 2009
Nigerian movies arent that good , they only appeal to the largely illiterate society that we have in Nigeria and do not have a worlwide audience.
-They have no good plots, screenplay,continuitya nd thier actors do not have any charcater, that is why we dont have any of our movies being screened across major film festivals.
The absence of movie critics, censorship and ratings do not help matters .
But i am for anything that can improve the revenue base of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by platinumnk(f): 3:12pm On Apr 06, 2009
Here in the US I loooooove Nollywood, My my has a house literally full of them , and my uncle here has made a nice bit of change renting them here.

When my cuz came to visit from PH, he was like why am I into Nigerian movies so much, they're lame, poor acting blah blah blah

He loves American Movies, and thinks they are way better than 9ja movies,
But I differ: he says it because I'm to used to the American culture and I crave for soemthing different.
Maybe so , but i know i looove Ramsey Noah lol grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by MrCrackles(m): 3:24pm On Apr 06, 2009
Nollywood?
Mschewwww
! angry
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by SeanT21(f): 3:31pm On Apr 06, 2009
platinumnk:

Here in the US I loooooove Nollywood, My my has a house literally full of them , and my uncle here has made a nice bit of change renting them here.

When my cuz came to visit from PH, he was like why am I into Nigerian movies so much, they're lame, poor acting blah blah blah

He loves American Movies, and thinks they are way better than 9ja movies,
But I differ: he says it because I'm to used to the American culture and I crave for soemthing different.
Maybe so , but i know i looove Ramsey Noah lol grin grin grin

I have the same problem.Eventhough it has its problems,I still love watching it.I guess becasue I want something different also.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by server34(m): 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2009
I dont really like the movies cos they're predictable. I dont hate them either. But Its very relaxing sometimes when you can relate to the movie you are watching better than Iron Man or Xmen.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by agabaI23(m): 4:12pm On Apr 06, 2009
http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200904065511339
Kenyan films outshine Nollywood at AMAA
By Akeem Lasisi
Published: Monday, 6 Apr 2009

Films from other African countries dwarfed their Nigerian counterparts on Saturday night, at the African Movie Academy Awards in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

At the event attended by film makers from different parts of the world, From a Whisper, a Kenyan film directed by Wanuri Kahiu, won five choice prizes where Nigerian entries that had earlier dominated the nominees‘ list fell like a pack of cards.

The movie won the Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Picture, Best Original Soundtrack and AMAA Achievement in Editing in categories that paraded Nigerian entries such as Tunde Kelani‘s Arugba, Tchidi Chikere‘s Beautiful Soul, and Modupe Temi.

On the AMAA jury were international players such as American Festival organiser, Mr. Ayoku Babu, Germany film programmer, Dorothy Wenner, Kenyan-born British festival director, Mr. Keith Shiri and Editor of The PUNCH, Mr. Steve Ayorinde.

In what, however, confirmed the fears of pundits that the Nigerian film industry touted as the third largest, coming after America‘s Hollywood and India‘s Bollywood, had been hit by a depression, a South African Film, Gugu and Andile; Egyptian Seventh Heaven; and Ugandan Battle of the Soul defeated Nollywood entries in such categories as Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Best Performance by an Actor in a in a Supporting Role and AMAA Achievement in Visual Effect.

But some redemption came for Nollywood when Arugba won the AMAA Achievement in Costume and non-continental Best Film for Nigeria award.

Other Nigerian winners include Izu Ojukwu, for Best Cinematography in Cindy’s Note; Funke Akindele (Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, based on her role in Jenifa) - beating Stephanie Okereke, Stella Damasus, among others; and Mercy Johnson, who grabbed the Best Performance in a Supporting Role prize.

Speaking at the awards ceremony, Bayelsa State Governor, Chief Timpire Sylva, said that the government chose to sponsor and host AMAA annually because of the potential that film making had for tourism and general socio-eceonomic development.

He said, “AMAA gives all Africans the opportunity to sit together, network and relax, just as movie production provides employment and aid tourism development.”

why if they are so good?
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by shevchenko(m): 4:41pm On Apr 06, 2009
I thought the title should have been "Are Nigeria movies that bad?"
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by skyone(m): 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2009
The yoruba ones aren't that bad, quite educating indeed. But the English audible ones are next to nothing, very poor standard and always same story line; either love attack or business driven. They are very predictable as well, although the comedy side of it can sometimes be hillarious i.e Nkem owoh police man, agaba idu, etc.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by luvinhubby(m): 6:43pm On Apr 06, 2009
i to spoke to som of nollywood producers in 1998, i told them our producers are mentally lazy, they don`t task their brains for creativity. NEK videos did Living in bondage and sold, every producer starts releasing cult movies, another one does My Love, it sold and they all rush into romance. I told them in 10yrs time at this pace, all of you will run out of ideas and the industry will collapse. Nigerians in diasporra are just watching them to keep in touch with home and nothing else, as for naija viewers, nollywood is dead.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Ascony(m): 6:50pm On Apr 06, 2009
Id rather go and sit in the middle of the sun than watch a naija movie
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Epi: 7:29pm On Apr 06, 2009
African movies taking over the Caribbean like hot bread and butter and everybody is talking about this lyke dude undecided. My personal review

1) very poor picture quality

2) Most of the time, you can predict what will happen next and predict the end of the movie
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by ban1(m): 8:19pm On Apr 06, 2009
[color=#000099][/color]u can only predict the end of 9ja movies if u r a 9jirian. My british colleague also enjoy it but i dont wanna discourage him.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Pepeye(f): 8:45pm On Apr 06, 2009
they suck
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by XFio(m): 8:48pm On Apr 06, 2009
Pepeye:

they suck
that's true
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by lalaboi(m): 8:56pm On Apr 06, 2009
just a tiny few. . . .and the few have minor flaws. , and the flaws can be overlooked. . . .lol
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by SisiJinx: 9:04pm On Apr 06, 2009
What the. . . . ? angry angry angry angry
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by sadboi: 9:29pm On Apr 06, 2009
I HATE NAIJA MOVIES!!! NEVER USED TO WATCH THEM WHEN I WAS IN NAIJA BUT SINCE I LEFT NAIJA, I JUST CANT REFRAIN FROM WATCHING THEM EVEN AS I ABUSE AND CRTICISE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM. Mind you, there are lots of good stories but their problem remains very poor linking, directing, editing, concept, humour, bad video quality etc.
Furthermore, we must take part of this blame as Nigerians frustrate the effort of these investors. Employing the services of critics, good editors etc, will spring up their budget which they rarely recoup. Lots of Nollywood movies' lovers pay close to nothing to watch these movies, youtube and so many other sites show them cost-free. Nigerian Govt is to take over half of the blame since it is their responsibility to stall copyright infringement
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by MrCrackles(m): 9:35pm On Apr 06, 2009
Nigeria movies are absolutely PANTS

Atrocious, pathetic and crap!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Davedavy: 9:49pm On Apr 06, 2009
naija movies na pure opata!!!i no fit waste my time on them.i wonder when we will be able to produce films with superb story lines like;Slum Dogg Millionaire.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by server34(m): 10:50pm On Apr 06, 2009
Davedavy:

naija movies na pure opata!!!i no fit waste my time on them.i wonder when we will be able to produce films with superb story lines like;Slum Dogg Millionaire.
Even though am not a fan of Nigerian movies, I know that there are quite a number of them that have story lines as good as Slumdog Millionaire if not better. Of course the production is wack, but some have interesting story lines.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by SisiJinx: 10:58pm On Apr 06, 2009
Seriously. . . what the angry angry angry
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by stkris(m): 1:45am On Apr 07, 2009
1- they'r not fit to be called 'movies'
2- that industry; 3rd largest in the world aint nothin but a huge steaming pile of poop!
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by londoner: 12:58pm On Apr 07, 2009
Nowadays, it is virtually impossible to get any Nigerian to see anything good in anything Nigerian. In a way, Nollywood will only recieve negativity here.

Other Africans/Caribbeans enjoy them, there must be something they see in them obviously.

I myself, love Naija movies, I watch them more than any other. Over the years I can count the number of times I have watched a Hollywood film only to be sorely disappointed. I watch Nollywood and enjoy them, sometimes simply criticise them, but I am not expecting them to be like Hollywood/Bollywood, they too started somewhere.

Nollywood is still a baby, and has been made from people who are not  trained in acting or sound/lighting. I think its a start, but the industry must be rejuvinated now that we have a following to build upon.

For me, Nollywood is really that good.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by ohaechesi(m): 4:04pm On Apr 07, 2009
this is ridiculous. does it mean that we can't even for ones say somehing about our beloved mother land. this hole thing is getting me sad, i must confess. Nigerian movies are nice, it all depend on what you desired to watch. as for me, i preffer jokes to Nigerian love movies
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Hardballer(m): 6:34pm On Apr 07, 2009
^^ like hell they are if you are looking for shallow plots then nigerian films are perfect for you
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by tpia: 6:59pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 07, 2009
I know Nollywood has it problems but the amount negativity and bashing it gets often amaze me. Personally I watch Nollywood movies, mostly the Yoruba ones because their plots and acting a better. Now as for Hollywood don't even get me started.
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by ijleke(f): 12:03pm On Apr 08, 2009
2 POSTER YES SOME ARE GOOD NOT ALL SOME ARE JST BASELESS NO HEAD NO TAIL, SOMETIMES YOU WONDER HOW THEY MANAGE TO PULL THOSE MOVIES OUT CAUSE TRULY SOME ARE RIDICULOUS,
Re: Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good by yahuze(f): 3:26pm On Apr 08, 2009
Anyone likes it or not , Nigerian movies are loved all over the world.But then the last UBA_AMAA award disapointed a lot of Nollywood fans.Check out the complete list of the nominees and winners of the award on www.artistezone.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sasuke Vs Naruto: Who's Stronger?: Warning, Manga Spoilers / Photo:BBA 2012 Zainab Sheriff And Babalwa Mneno Kissing Each Other / Gotv Max At 2500 Is Scam From GOTV!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.