Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,298 members, 7,860,730 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:03 PM

A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. (514 Views)

Two Years Of Gov Okowa Administration: Gov Okowa's Promise Made And Promise Fulf / Tinubu ” Has Never Kept His Words” – Rotimi Akeredolu / We Have Kept Our Promise Of Creating Jobs For Nigerians – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. by yusufalabere(m): 7:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
A PROMISE MADE, A PROMISE KEPT.

BEING THE SPEECH BY PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE, DR ABUBAKAR BUKOLA SARAKI (CON) AT THE PRESENTATION OF SCHOLARSHIP AWARD TO BENEFICIARIES OF THE SARAKI PENSION SCHOLASHIP FUND ON SEPTEMBER 7, 2015 IN ILORIN, KWARA STATE.

1.      Early in the year, as part of my electioneering campaign, I promised our people that my pension as Governor of Kwara State will now be channeled into a scholarship fund for the benefit of brilliant but indigent students in Kwara State.

2.      My aim is to ensure that the fund is used as a form of social security to support existing State Scholarship Scheme. The plan is to further give vent to my belief that government alone cannot effectively take care of the needs of our people. Individuals who are well endowed and blessed should support government efforts. That is one of the symbolisms that today’s occasion represents.

3.      It is also my belief that the best resource Nigeria has to propel her development is her human resource. The best brains in the world are in this country. Those who can change the course of Nigeria’s development and make it faster and in compliance with world standard are already here.

4.      Let me put it on record that since the commencement of payment of the pension, I have not drawn a single kobo from it. I have been waiting eagerly to decide on what  programme to channel it into. Thank God, the idea of the scholarship programme came up during the last campaigns and here we are today.

5.      Today, the two people to whom we are presenting the scholarship awards made first class in Law, particularly in a world-rated University like our own University of Ilorin. This is the caliber of people for which this scholarship scheme is meant. We have deliberately ensured that the selection process is thorough and the standards to be met by beneficiaries are very high.

6.      Today’s occasion also symbolize a call on those who God has blessed with resources to help the less privileged ones in our society. We also need to eliminate the situation where lack of financial capability kill the dreams of many brilliant, creative and well-focused Nigerians. Or how do we explain a situation where students struggled to make first class in the law faculty of the university and lack of sponsorship will prevent them from becoming professional lawyers because they could not sponsor their training at the Nigeria Law School.

7.      The selection committee has decided that

(a)   Mohammed Abdullahi Tosin from Irepodun L.G.A and

(b)   Adam Mohammed Ndakuku from Edu L.G.A

should be presented with N500,000 each from the Abubakar Bukola Saraki Pension Scholarship Fund to sponsor their Law School programme .

8.      From the fund, they can pay school fees and buy the other necessary things that will enable them settle in for the Law School programme when the 2015/2016 session begins in a few weeks.

9.      The two gentlemen are therefore the first beneficiaries of the scheme and the process to select other beneficiaries is on-going. Very soon, we will present cheques to other beneficiaries.

10. I hereby enjoin Tosin and Adam to work hard at the Nigeria Law School and come out with first class. They should make Kwara State in particular, and Nigeria, in general, proud by coming out with excellent results. They should remain focused, dedicated, hard working and forward looking. I wish the beneficiaries best of luck.

11. May God bless you all.

12.  Thank you.

Dr Abubakar Bukola Saraki (CON)

President,  Senate of the Federal Republic.

September 7, 2015,

Re: A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. by peterovanski(m): 7:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
S
Re: A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. by Aminat508(f): 7:35pm On Sep 07, 2015
angryw

1 Like

Re: A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. by temitemi1(m): 7:41pm On Sep 07, 2015
Aminat508, scholarship kode odo e ni
Aminat508:
angryw
Re: A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. by Aminat508(f): 7:42pm On Sep 07, 2015
temitemi1:
Aminat508, scholarship kode odo e ni

Emiofe joo.. Dont let us derail dis thread abeg... . cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Promise Made, A Promise Kept. by temitemi1(m): 8:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ok bt I have a question for.
Aminat508:

Emiofe joo.. Dont let us derail dis thread abeg... . cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Simplest Way To Lose Weight (photo) / Nigeria Army Frees 128 Boko Haram Suspects / As You Are Passing By, Remember This ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.