Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics (31737 Views)

Nigerian Athlete Blessing Okagbare Breaks 22-year-old African Record / Blessing Okagbare's Wig Falls Off During Leap (Photos, Video) / Blessing Okagbare Beats Usain Bolt To 2016 Guinness World Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by poweredcom(m): 10:08am On Sep 09, 2015
Wetin concern me.....am eatin my bread n beans here
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Hardeybohwarley(m): 10:09am On Sep 09, 2015
Really adonbilivit
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by teemyte: 10:09am On Sep 09, 2015
ChappyChase:

My friend keep quite! If she had said the truth would tha AFN let her be? If na me be the babe I for don quit Nigeria tey tey!!!
That's why people like you will never reach such height,,,sorry to say
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by xpirence: 10:12am On Sep 09, 2015
There is something fishy here we dont know, lets invite Okagbare and NAF on a round table discussion and you will hear things like
Akpalakpala no enter every body hand, etc.

you are free to add yours.

[size=32pt]Xpirence[/size] is not the best teacher, but [size=16pt]Observiation[/size]

[size=16pt]xpirence [/size]has come
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 10:14am On Sep 09, 2015
kodlins:

Nigeria does not take of their own. Imagine what would happen if she does not take time off to treat herself. Remember Sam Okwaraji and others.

I wish she will go to another country and run for them. That way, Nigeria must have shot herself in the leg
this is not the way to rebel. You think the other countries she can compete for would overlook such behaviour? What is wrong is wrong and 2 wrongs will never make a right. AFN have their flaws, but this time, Blessing was wrong and you all should be able to admit that.

3 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by prodiG(m): 10:16am On Sep 09, 2015
Chanchit:
Instead of this fools to get her a psychologist, they are banning her. She's disappointed with her last performance, nd she won't be happy jubilating with an AAG gold medal which she's sure of winning. Maybe they are reminding her its time to go run for the Canada or Uk, there are many countries monitoring this situation I'm sure, and I would be happy if she joins any of them. Steeewpeed foools.
Can she still change her nationality? shocked
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Wisdytech(m): 10:17am On Sep 09, 2015
MRBrownJ:
if that is true then here goes the only remote chance for 9ja to have a medal in the track and field part of the next olympic... oh well!

God will see her through.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by olapluto(m): 10:23am On Sep 09, 2015
This case calls for caution. Blessing is certainly talented, and PATRIOTIC. However, discipline is key to any sports success. I would prefer to have a 19 yr old athlete running 11.20 go to the Olympics than have Blessing go there with the wrong attitude.
Having said that, the current AFN board are dream killers. Nigeria is producing so many world beaters, but their dreams get killed by AFN and the national team coaches.

2 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by aorta(m): 10:26am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
She should be banned. Why tell lies? Does C. Ronaldo resort to lies to skip obligations? It's only in Nigeria such unethical behaviour is condoned and encouraged. Make we go mark attendance, no wahala, abi Blessing been no dey London in 2012? She win medal? She can sit home next year and watch others in Rio. And please, she can't make the US team
sule wat do u know about football? ask anyone abt history of messi n barcelona coach last season
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Kobeje(m): 10:28am On Sep 09, 2015
Dannyandre:
She deserves to be banned .This is the time for AFN and NSC to look for new and patriotic athletes that can make Nigeria proud instead of beaming all our hopes on Okagbare. If we had other great athletes do u think DAT she will be behaving like dis?? A beg let her go and sit down and watch the Olympics on her TV with her husband

So, she's no more patriotic because of this singular incident? Hmmmm!

Why don't we have those 'new and patriotic athletes that can make Nigeria proud' in the first place? Why don't we have those 'other great athletes'? Why do we have to depend on her only, as it were? Those are the real issues and not the 'distressed' lady. Distressed by the powers that be. Even if it's personal distress why don't we help her out? (At least we've been singing her praise all these while) That is what family is for, isn't it? Or it's to ban once you 'err'.

2 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by sweatlana: 10:28am On Sep 09, 2015
Dose she not have the right to choose which tournament she will represent the country? Why the ban?

She was obviously saving her energy for the more prestigious tournament.

2 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 09, 2015
ChappyChase:

My friend keep quite! If she had said the truth would tha AFN let her be? If na me be the babe I for don quit Nigeria tey tey!!!

See your life, most Nigerians that had tour that path in life, where are they today in their newly found countries?

I remember a young Igbo boy called Omeria or something, this guy was called to Nigeria National team on platter of gold but was advised against it by his parents who live in UK; the parents wanted him to play for England instead. Till date, England didn't even call him to their training ground talk less of being played in the last world cup.

After the world cup, his premiership career went down speedily and gone under radar till date.

What about Christine Oru......, She was badly treated by British sport commission to the point she threatened them with dumping them for Nigeria flag.

If Okagbare deserves to be punished, so be it.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by shoboy9: 10:30am On Sep 09, 2015
If she doesn't want to run then she should not. It can never be by force to serve. what kind of leadership is that? Nigerians should stop being indifferent when our officials mess up. These people should be sacked pronto so better nigerians who will move athletics forward can do the job. Haba!

2 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by DrOladipo: 10:35am On Sep 09, 2015
Chanchit:
Instead of this fools to get her a psychologist, they are banning her. She's disappointed with her last performance, nd she won't be happy jubilating with an AAG gold medal which she's sure of winning. Maybe they are reminding her its time to go run for the Canada or Uk, there are many countries monitoring this situation I'm sure, and I would be happy if she joins any of them. Steeewpeed foools.
You're so on point.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 09, 2015
prodiG:
Can she still change her nationality? shocked

Yes she can switch to South Sudan. It takes two weeks to switch nationality but she has to switch from 100m to 5000m or 3000m steeplechase.. cheesy.

2 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Pidggin(f): 10:41am On Sep 09, 2015
Hope she moves on to a better country.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by dayowunmi(m): 10:43am On Sep 09, 2015
I think the athletics federation is right on this one. Performance in the all africa games is the yard stick they use in selecting candidates for the olympic games, if she says she's not going it logically follows that she can't represent us at the olympics then. Participating at olympic games is not just arbitrary, there are tournaments serves as criteria for your selection by ur continent or ur country(country in the case of okagbare) where u are chosen, for example, for any country to represent africa in soccer at the olympic games, you have to win or atleast reach the final of the African youth championship, otherwise, you not going, if u going, you are only going as a spectator. It is the standard procedure. Blessing is our best athlete by a long margin, but I also think the standard should be upheld without favoritism in this case. Other runners too are human beings and if they are willing to participate at the games, then they should get the nod.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by nurseafrica: 10:45am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
She should be banned. Why tell lies? Does C. Ronaldo resort to lies to skip obligations? It's only in Nigeria such unethical behaviour is condoned and encouraged. Make we go mark attendance, no wahala, abi Blessing been no dey London in 2012? She win medal? She can sit home next year and watch others in Rio. And please, she can't make the US team
. Be there beefing while the gurl is busy making millions. Your nitwitted opinion is not needed I guess you have not made your compound team of useful people. Trying to put out some one light does not make your light shine brighter. Ladies beefing each other since 1804,,, Jelousy de smell. Nobody knows you. Last time I checked you just spent your MB( money) to read about Blessing. Mtchew

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 10:48am On Sep 09, 2015
boujaye:

quarraption was holding her legs.
Corruption you mean grin

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Arsenate(m): 10:49am On Sep 09, 2015
so basically, Nigerian athletes, they put in a couple of good performances and they suddenly feel they can do whatever they want. when anyone complains their fans will threaten us with the usual BS of representing another country.
they all can represent Antarctica for all i care.
nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by JuicyStar: 10:50am On Sep 09, 2015
zinachidi:

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/okagbare-banned-from-rio-olympics/

If this is true, then Blessing didn't do the right thing. She should have just said she isn't interested in participating in the All African games rather than blaming injury for her absence and later turn around to participate in another tournament. On the other hand, why should we always rely on a particular athlete until the relationship turns sour. Isn't it time we start building new athletes to represent us in next years Olympics?

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 10:50am On Sep 09, 2015
Pidggin:
Hope she moves on to a better country.

Amen smiley

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by M4gunners: 11:06am On Sep 09, 2015
Na who go loss no be nigerians wetin concern bleble if dem ban am or not.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by sportingfrenzy: 11:22am On Sep 09, 2015
this development is quit disturbing
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by worksmart(m): 11:24am On Sep 09, 2015
America why?

US toppled our president Buhari in secret June 9th coup.

All images we are being shown of him since were recorded before June 9th.

US plans to break up Nigeria and I guess part of its strategy may be to kill off the patriotism derived from sporting success.

This may also explain the removal of Steven Keshi.

US would likely make her lucrative offer to represent them.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by bluecircle470: 11:25am On Sep 09, 2015
Chanchit:

Y will she be disappointed with her performance wen she well knows dat she can't match those she ran with in the final. Mtcheww may she continue remain ban.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by LasoulMacuby(m): 11:32am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
she's free to make any team she wants to make. If not for condition, aren't there faster girls in Nigeria? A country of 160 million and we keep depending on one person for something as basic as running. Una no dey shame? Instead of advocating for the useless AFN and NSC to find better athletes, we'll be here idolizing an inconsistent one. Let them ban her, if na civil servant do this kain thing, dem for suspend am.
My Gawd I never knew we still have intelligent women around. More power to ur reasoning

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by otokx(m): 11:33am On Sep 09, 2015
Mr President should just save money by preventing Nigeria from featuring in the Olympics.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by jonnieoneng: 11:43am On Sep 09, 2015
Dannyandre:
She deserves to be banned .This is the time for AFN and NSC to look for new and patriotic athletes that can make Nigeria proud instead of beaming all our hopes on Okagbare. If we had other great athletes do u think DAT she will be behaving like dis?? A beg let her go and sit down and watch the Olympics on her TV with her husband
From your comment I know that you are a novice when it comes to Athletics.The Girl is obviously reacting to something that the AFN will never own up to just as was in the past with others such as francis Obikuelw Gloria Alonzie who later went ahead to represent other countries and won laurels for them instead of their Fatherland.It shows that in Nigeria we are bad managers of talents and that is a bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by daveP(m): 11:43am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
it's 'QUIET' not quite and last I checked, this is a public forum and I can state my opinion. Let her quit, wetin wan happen? People been no dey before she come? If she had told the AFN point-blank that she just wasn't mentally prepared for AAG and they did this, I would've been on her side, but this her style was just plain unethical and if you look at it with a just eye, instead of your usual "she's our only hope", you'd realise that this can happen to even the best athlete in a sane country. Na only naija dey mumu like this
lol safari! Dont let them boil your blood now.

You have a point actually. But like i said on the Super Eagles thread, Nigerian Sport bodies dont have good scouts for new talent. Infact they are just inexperienced. By now Olusoji Fasuba's replacement supposed to have been thru all media, but 7years and still searching.

Divine Oduduru is now silent like a graveyard- that guy has Gatlin's blood in him. So like prev times, mismanagement of talent on the side of the Afn which in turn leads to solely depending on one star for hope. It sucks.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by worksmart(m): 11:46am On Sep 09, 2015
Firstly an athlete could withdraw from championships, when they feel a possible injury coming on.

Blessing may have decided to run the single race at Zurich Diamond League because it is just a single race with less chance of injury and also because those races are how she earns her income.

Where as in a championship she would expect to run several rounds of 100m, 200m and 4x100m relays.

Or maybe she was already considering a lucrative offer to represent America with condition that she stops representing Nigeria , so America may have ordered Nigeria to ban her from representing Nigeria .

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by daveP(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2015
Dannyandre:
they arent street-oriented in their search and yeah they might search but twill take 2020 before we hear another big name according to AFN.

Team USA's formula is an expensive one, but they can bost of 200medals in 7years. The same time we waste in looking for just one star. Carmelita-felix-gay, etc all are tough rivals for any athlete. We have just one and she is a diathlon-Blessing. Na here we go dey when they search finish.

Only Doreen Amata is the second in line after her.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 5 Footballers Halloween Costumes : Luis Garcia & Evra Scares / Anthony Joshua Given 24 Hours To Respond To $50m Offer To Fight Wilder / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Retires From Football On His 35th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.