Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,355 members, 7,819,259 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job (18704 Views)

7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 10, 2015
I have been shying away from posting a reply on here since the topic surfaced earlier today, having somewhat found myself at this same crossroad since passing out of nysc two months ago, I didn't feel worthy to claim to have answers to the concerns raised by those two brothers. Albeit, mine tends to be a matter of ambivalence at the moment, wouldn't want to talk about myself here tho.

My two pence... True life story...

Last two days, I found myself inside a klimanjaro fast food, after a hot and usually exhaustive aptitude test somewhere in the southern part of the country, trying to cool off. Somewhere on the south wall of the restaurant had a board hanging, with a caption "OUR STORY" a short write up about how the klimanjaro most of us used to impress babes those days back in school was a brainchild of a few young Nigerians and bla bla, I bent down and asked myself, so why spend close to 5k on transport and almost sustained a hip dislocation on terrible roads just to sit for another frustration in the guise of a recruitment test? Coincidentally just this same week a cousin of mine quit her IT job at a local fast food place, her reason....stress, guess what, she works in the account section, on probing further she revealed this people make a subtle 900k a day, and it's just one of their many outlets, I smiled and told her she wouldn't understand, she's still in school and would definitely get cash for all her needs including hairdo by September.

Summary of my long story.......I have decided, no more job tests, no more unsolicited cv submissions, and don't mistake me, I don't despise salary jobs, I'll gladly accept to grow working for someone else, but am no longer going to beg for it. I join my voice to that of many young and knowledgeable young people out there to ask......hw can with all my numeracy, all my computer skills, all my analytical skills, good command of English, I am to be put through scorn in the name of recruitment and I have to be grateful if I get one at last?

I have decided to explore my inner self, does it mean with all I know I can't solve any of the problems I join every other person to complain about everyday? There must be something I can do to make some cash and invest same into acquiring some real hands on technical skills, which has always been my passion, while relying totally on God, the giver of all things.

Any like minded youngsters should start developing same mentality too, no matter how difficult that seems. God bless us all.

178 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by histemple: 2:01am On Sep 10, 2015
You have just made the right decision. Most people erroneously think that, money is their constraints, but it's actually IDEAS.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by babyfaceafrica: 6:09am On Sep 10, 2015
Nigerians have ideas,but the environment is not friendly to must of them,nevertheless with sheer perseverance and hardwork,we will get there.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 10, 2015
OP, God bless you for sharing these wonderful insights and the short story.

Opportunities abound all around us but our system isn't designed to make us recognise them. Academics doesn't guarantee success. Examples of such cases are too numerous to mention.

The same restaurant scores visit everyday to eat and drink has inspired you to see beyond your current horizon. Sometimes circumstances can even drag and drive us to our destiny.

Everybody won't get that mega pay. But everybody must eat and live. Nothing can stand the way of a dangerously determined person. NOTHING!

These are encouraging threads, and should be placed on FP.

Lalasticlala, you may also want to see this. Thanks for the one of yesterday. Good job bro!

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by angiography(m): 11:57am On Sep 10, 2015
Insightful!

I think NYSC should be more of training in entrepreneurship than posting civil engineers to teach in primary schools (among others). If this, and the NDE is strengthened to supporting graduates in SMEs, in 10yrs time, i project, we will have more jobs than graduates.

This country will be great.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
angiography:
Insightful!

I think NYSC should be more of training in entrepreneurship than posting civil engineers to teach in primary schools (among others). If this, and the NDE is strengthened to supporting graduates in SMEs, in 10yrs time i project we will have more jobs than graduates.

Exactly. I had my first degree in the geosciences but I was posted to a school to serve as a teacher. How in the world does that help to build someone up in line of field of study?

Lemme read the op.

6 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
Dang! Right on spot. I felt like I was reading from someone that had access to see my thoughts.

I once heard a friend talking with someone one day when she made mention of a restaurant she used to work with around Ikeja. She was working with the chocolate and ice cream section and she said they (chocolate and ice cream section) make up to 5 million naira daily. Of course, that's just one of the many outlets they have in Lagos.

Someone once said; work hard at your job and you'll earn a living. Work hard on yourself and earn yourself a fortune.

I can't get paid just 12 times in 365 days! Mba

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by ronald4lif(m): 1:05pm On Sep 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Dang! Right on spot. I felt like I was reading from someone that had access to see my thoughts.

I once heard a friend talking with someone one day when she made mention of a restaurant she used to work with around Ikeja. She was working with the chocolate and ice cream section and she said they (chocolate and ice cream section) make up to 5 million naira daily. Of course, that's just one of the many outlets they have in Lagos.

Someone once said; work hard at your job and you'll earn a living. Work hard on yourself and earn yourself a fortune.

Your last line though. Edo man with Igbo sense. You too get money brain. Tufia. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2015
ronald4lif:

Your last line though. Edo man with Igbo sense. You too get money brain. Tufia. grin
grin grin grin
You know the koko. wink Igbo people no get the monopoly of loving and making money. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:

This is the second time you're blessing me in as many days.

Jim Rohn comes to mind. It's a fact that opportunities are everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by ronald4lif(m): 1:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:
grin grin grin
You know the koko. wink Igbo people no get the monopoly of loving and making money. grin

Everybody don get sense for money. I be mumu no be how to strategise and make dough. cheesy

But no be say you talk am sha. Fixed salary jobs doesn't make sense in today's contemporary world. Self-employment is smarter and way better not just in income earning but on the flexibility and freedom it provides. Work on your own schedule, no unnecessary pressure to meet target and no excuses. Its the way to go for anyone who have got the will to start up something no matter the capacity of their finances.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 10, 2015
histemple:
You have just made the right decision. Most people erroneously think that, money is their constraints, but it's actually IDEAS.

I now believe that, ideas to be explore is a kinda bottomless pit.

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
Nigerians have ideas,but the environment is not friendly to must of them,nevertheless with sheer perseverance and hardwork,we will get there.

Sure, did you see that topic about how some village folks made snooker table with mud??

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2015
dearpreye:
OP, God bless you for sharing these wonderful insights and the short story.

Opportunities abound all around us but our system isn't designed to make us recognise them. Academics doesn't guarantee success. Examples of such cases are too numerous to mention.

The same restaurant scores visit everyday to eat and drink has inspired you to see beyond your current horizon. Sometimes circumstances can even drag and drive us to our destiny.

Everybody won't get that mega pay. But everybody must eat and live. Nothing can stand the way of a dangerously determined person. NOTHING!

These are encouraging threads, and should be placed on FP.

Lalasticlala, you may also want to see this. Thanks for the one of yesterday. Good job bro!

Thank you bros, I actually read through that your post like a dozen times yesterday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 10, 2015
angiography:
Insightful!

I think NYSC should be more of training in entrepreneurship than posting civil engineers to teach in primary schools (among others). If this, and the NDE is strengthened to supporting graduates in SMEs, in 10yrs time i project we will have more jobs than graduates.

Sure, even the current SAED they introduced is lip service,
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Alezy(m): 2:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:

my brother am seriously inlove with ur last statement. Mba raise to power of 10

5 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:

[color=#990000]I can't get paid just 12 times in 365 days!
Mba [/color]

Hahahaha, what an assertion there.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 10, 2015
ronald4lif:

May money in all it's forms visit and dwell with all igbo ppl, since na only we like am....iseeeee!!!

5 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 10, 2015
ronald4lif:

Everybody don get sense for money. I be mumu no be how to strategise and make dough. cheesy

But no be say you talk am sha. Fixed salary jobs doesn't make sense in today's contemporary world. Self-employment is smarter and way better not just in income earning but on the flexibility and freedom it provides. Work on your own schedule, no unnecessary pressure to meet target and no excuses. Its the way to go for anyone who have got the will to start up something no matter the capacity of their finances.

No o, na only igbo ppl like money o grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by hensben(m): 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
Yawa don gass be that.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by meshacha1: 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
K
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by jimfend: 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
I don't get it.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by HouseOfWine: 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
The best advice to any one seeking for job especially in Nigeria ; is for them to create or have their own business, simple!

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by LatestTrend: 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
grin
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Olusharp(m): 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
Rat race...everyone destiny is different...

3 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by DICKtator: 2:19pm On Sep 10, 2015
Lool at threads like this!!

While it isn't bad to be an entrepreneur, it should also be noted that it isn't everyone that is cut out for such!

Life is all bout self-discovery and improvement

There are a lot of Intrapreneurs also making it and living a comfortable life.

While I do not subscribe to mediocrity, the risk involved in entrepreneurship is higher than Intrapreneurs

So you have to be prepared to fail and never give up!!

Even with all strategies in place,market researches done,mentorship advice followed,it may not perform to your expectations or even

Reach the so-called break-even point but the entrepreneurship mantra isn't solely based on seeing an opportunity but been resilient!!

I repeat, self discovery is key!!!!. Most individuals haven't discovered themselves yet!!

grin grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Aitee1: 2:19pm On Sep 10, 2015
Okay
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by frankwells(f): 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2015
Read my Signature and see for your self wink smiley sadRead:https://www.nairaland.com/2572032/womanmy-everything
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by baba11(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2015
WEll , that is just the reality on ground.Hardly will you see entry level eearning #350k upward except he's working in an oil and gas company..

#so bad
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by wunmi590(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2015
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by mayorjosh(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2015
Make I park here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Does A Surveyor Earn Per Month In Naija / Tolulope Fayokun Wins Racial Profiling Case Against US Pharmaceutical Firm / What Oil Companies Pay Their Workers In Port Hacourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.