Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. (33305 Views)

Nigerian Prisons Service- Reference And Referee Forms / Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? / 7 Reference Mistakes That Can Cost You The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by Etizz: 4:53am On Sep 10, 2015
A good list of reference is almost as important as your resume and cover letter. Sadly, it is much more likely to slip your mind during the job search process? Job seekers often hand over the reference list without thinking about what will happen next. But like other ‘more important’ aspects of job-hunting, reference checks can be used to your advantage

The challenge, of course, lies in whom to include on your reference list – and just also importantly, whom to leave out.

The following people should never, ever appear on your list:

1. Anyone who you haven’t specifically asked to be a reference.

This should go without saying, but even if you’re 110% sure your former colleague, professor or boss would give you a glowing recommendation, you should ask first, for several reasons.

First of all, it’s the right thing to do. It is just polite. If you’re like most people, I am sure you probably don’t like being surprised with phone calls and emails, asking you for things you weren’t expecting. It doesn’t matter if you yourself are a gibbering extrovert and can speak extemporaneously on any topic, be sure to recognize and accept that your potential references might not be the same way. Regardless, they are doing you a favor, you’re asking for their time, and that’s valuable. Do them the courtesy of giving them prior notice. Truth is, you’ll be doing yourself more good than you can imagine.

Second, you will be given an amazing recommendation, if the recommender has information about the job for which you’re interviewing. Giving a heads up and a little background information gives your recommender ample time to think about which aspects of your skill set and experience are most important for this new role, and allows them time to organize their thoughts to share with your interviewer.

Finally, this is the time you get to know if you assessment of the relationship you have with this person is right or dare I say flat-out wrong. The worst time to find out that someone wouldn’t give you a positive commendation is after they’ve told a hiring manager that they wouldn’t hire you again under any circumstances. Don’t sabotage yourself.

A quick note here: how you ask matters, as well. Don’t just open your mouth and ask if the person will give you a reference. Instead, ask, “Do you think you know me and my work well enough to provide me with a glowing reference?” That way, you’ll get a sense of what you can expect this person to say.

2. People who might say negative … or even less than positive things about you.

Obviously, you wouldn’t go out of your way to ‘intentionally’ ask someone to be a reference for you, if you had the slightest incline that they’d say something bad about you or your work. That’s why it’s imperative to check in and see if they feel comfortable providing a reference for you, ahead of time – hopefully, you’ll get a sense as to what they might say.

fake-job-reference

3. People who don’t communicate well.

Now this might come across as judgmental, but trust me, now is not the time for sentiments. Anyone who cannot speak (or write) well should not be added to your list of recommenders irrespective of how much respect the person has for you and your work. Remember that your network reflects on you, especially when they’re praising your work. If they don’t seem on top of their game themselves, they won’t be able to impress a hiring manager on your behalf. What good is a recommendation, if it comes from someone the employer wouldn’t hire?

4. Your current boss.

This is another very obvious one, but it’s worth saying, anyway. Unless there is a looming layoff, or the terms of your job is short-term – in short, unless your boss knows you’re leaving, and is OK with it – don’t ask him or her for a reference. Period!

5. People you don’t respect.

Whenever you think of asking someone for a reference, first, ask yourself, “Would I gladly provide a reference for this person, in return?” If you can’t sincerely and wholeheartedly say yes, then please by all means move on to the next connection on your list. I mean, it’s totally unfair to ask for something you wouldn’t readily do for them.

https://blog.ngcareers.com/4955/people-you-should-never-ask-for-reference-and-why/

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by onome710(m): 6:02am On Sep 10, 2015
First to comment?? Well, It's nothing *in olamide's voice*

Nice write up... Although Except high level coys, many coys hardly contact reference. Co's, no one would knowingly put his wicked step Mom as reference. U would put ur Girl friend If possible...

6 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by lonelydora: 6:49am On Sep 10, 2015
True talk
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by bqlekan(m): 7:11am On Sep 10, 2015
True talk... most especially your current boss.. He/she won't even recommend you to CHEVRON grin

3 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by uwin(m): 8:26am On Sep 10, 2015
Nice write up cool

1 Like

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by VeeBabs(m): 9:23am On Sep 10, 2015
#5. They ask for an academic reference, and you list your pastor! grin Wrong. Or, they ask for a professional (work) reference, and you provide your godmother's name. Unless she was once your boss or senior colleague... that's wrong again. tongue tongue undecided

Pastor is good if they ask for a character/personality reference. Godmother (or family) is good if they need a reference to confirm your cooking or fufu-pounding expertise.

11 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by ignis: 9:36am On Sep 10, 2015
Nice one. ..
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by frankolett(m): 9:58am On Sep 10, 2015
Eziokwu!! !! grin

1 Like

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by jazinogold(m): 11:38am On Sep 10, 2015
so if I wan apply for restaurant job I no fit put iyabasira Wey dy sell ewa gonyin as my referee? undecided

3 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by prodiG(m): 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by olajorn(m): 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
Nobody in his/her right sense will refrence these set of people You mention...Thanks for the information

1 Like

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by JingoOAU(m): 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
People who are enemies to the owner of MD of the company you are applying to

Case study
I applied to arik as a cabin crew, after the whole process of passing all the requirements and finaly gets to the final stage,a white guy even came out and congratulate me that I've passed and I should be waiting for my appointment letter the following week

I waited for 1 months and nothing happened, whereas, all my colleagues who scale tru the final stage were called to resume for training....since I have access to the Chief Pilot of Arik, I enquire what happened....

He release the bombshell.....that the Chief Pilot I used as one of my referee is a sworn enemy of the owner of Arik...and dats d reason I wasn't called....cos d owner felt I was been sent as a spy...I felt bad tho...thank God am now working with NAMA

12 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by lekhane(m): 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
since i have been hunting till i got a job, none of my referees ever told me they were contacted in anyway, i begin to ask if its even necessary sef

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by prodiG(m): 1:37pm On Sep 10, 2015
Nice one op very educative

1 Like

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by gokay11(m): 1:37pm On Sep 10, 2015
Oshey
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by Richie0974: 1:37pm On Sep 10, 2015
.Nice... Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by lekjons(m): 1:37pm On Sep 10, 2015
nice but.. nobody who'll use these kinds of people as a reference anyway..
they are enemies, unless u don't know!
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by PRINCENWAEZE(m): 1:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
olajorn:
K
k for kettle
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
ex

1 Like

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by PRINCENWAEZE(m): 1:39pm On Sep 10, 2015
lekjons:
a
a for apple
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by Bodmas06: 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
Noted
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by PRINCENWAEZE(m): 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
Keneking:
ex
ex for exgirlfriend

2 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by timilehing(m): 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
I don't need reference when I'm the CEO grin
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by chinedusamson(m): 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
noted
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by kamez(m): 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
u re on point..

finally

(6). UR JILTED EX...

except u smoked pawpaw leaves while writing the reference list

2 Likes

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by UnknownT: 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
[i][/i]
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by PRINCENWAEZE(m): 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2015
JingoOAU:
A
A for Amadioha cool
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by lekjons(m): 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2015
PRINCENWAEZE:
a for apple
b undecided

for busybody!
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 10, 2015
Your landlord especially if you are owing him

1 Like

Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by Cokwologu(m): 1:43pm On Sep 10, 2015
I have seen, noted...
Re: People You Should Never Ask For Reference And Why. by ellahzy(f): 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
last to comment on 1st page.

Don't put the name of your Landlord.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hot Vacancy!!! In Neo-life Int'l For Everybody / Captain N-Power To Catch Beneficiaries Earning From Other Employment / Nigerian Lady "Wows" Interviewer With Her Perfect English Speaking Skills (Vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.