Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation (2883 Views)

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by MrOlai: 6:30am On Sep 10, 2015
IBOS

Hardwork: Honestly speaking, Ibos are generally hardworking. They are highly industrious. They put in their very best to ensure that they excel in their businesses. They work diligently to earn means of livelihood to feed themselves and their families. They are not lazy. One can hardly find any of them begging.

A colleague of mine was coming from United Arab Emirate to Nigeria in a plane. He was a student. According to him, in that plane of about 150 passengers, over one hundred of them were Ibos on business trip!

I served in a village in Kaduna North very close to Funtua in Katsina some years back. In that village, there was no electricity, no pipe-borne water; no telecommunication. The village was a country on its own out of Nigeria. There was an Ibo man living in that village who supplies the entire villagers with household needs. He owns a big supermarket in the village and sells different things for the villagers. He normally buys the items from the South and takes them down to the village to sell. He lives in the village with his wife and kids. He only travels to his home town in the East during festive periods e.g Christmas and when the need arises. He did not even fear for his life being the only Ibo in the whole village! I really appreciate the man.

Summarily, Ibos are generally highly industrious and hardworking people. To our Ibo brothers and sisters, I say kudos to you all!

HAUSAS

Trust: Hausa are generally trustworthy. If an average Hausa man tells you 'Good morning', then, you should know the period of the day is actually morning. Hausas are like pigeons which stay with the house owner till death. This attribute of Hausas is indeed worthy of emulation.

YORUBAS

Child's Upbringing: When it comes to the issue of training children with ethics and moral uprightness, Yorubas are fore runners, even before the advent of missionaries. Even in adversity! A typical poor Yoruba parent with only garri and groundnut would teach his/her children to be contented and be morally upright with the garri and groundnut. This attribute is also worthy of emulation.

As a nation, we should try to emulate and emphasise the good sides of one another rather than attacking one another and being tribalistic. This would go a long way in strengthening our unity in diversity.

Feel free to add yours.

CC: Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by gottliebglobal(m): 6:32am On Sep 10, 2015
You are 100% correct we should unite in our diversity. At the end of the we have one passport, one country and one flag. Here where I live no one asks , " are you Ibo, Hausa or Yoruba". The question I always get is, " are you nigerian"?

2 Likes

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by dejavski(m): 6:34am On Sep 10, 2015
The ilajes are very industrious and hospitable.
grin

Quote me anywhere
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Ebubeslym(m): 6:46am On Sep 10, 2015
Mrolai:

IBOS

Hardwork: Honestly speaking, Ibos are generally hardworking. They are highly industrious. They put in their very best to ensure that they excel in their businesses. They work diligently to earnmeans of livelihood to feed themselves and their families. They are not lazy. Onecan hardly find any of them begging.A colleague of mine was coming from United Arab Emirate to Nigeria in a plane. He was a student. According to him, in that plane of about 150 passengers, over one hundred of them were Ibos on business trip!I served in a village in Kaduna North veryclose to Funtua in Katsina some years back. In that village, there was no electricity, no pipe-borne water; no telecommunication. The village was a country on its own out of Nigeria. There was an Ibo man living in that village whosupplies the entire villagers with household needs. He owns a big supermarket in the village and sells different things for the villagers. He normally buys the items from the South and takes them down to the village to sell. He lives in the village with his wife and kids. He only travels to his home town in the East during festive periods e.g Christmas and when the need arises.He did not even fear for his life being theonly Ibo in the whole village! I really appreciate the man.Summarily, Ibos are generally highly industrious and hardworking people. To our Ibo brothers and sisters, I say kudosto you all!

The sun will keep rising from the east.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by debris: 7:18am On Sep 10, 2015
True talk cheesy

#I rep tongue

1 Like

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 7:29am On Sep 10, 2015
dejavski:
The ilajes are very industrious and hospitable.
grin

Quote me anywhere
What tribe are the "ilajes"? undecided
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by MrOlai: 7:29am On Sep 10, 2015
MrOlai:
IBOS

Hardwork: Honestly speaking, Ibos are generally hardworking. They are highly industrious. They put in their very best to ensure that they excel in their businesses. They work diligently to earn means of livelihood to feed themselves and their families. They are not lazy. One can hardly find any of them begging.

A colleague of mine was coming from United Arab Emirate to Nigeria in a plane. He was a student. According to him, in that plane of about 150 passengers, over one hundred of them were Ibos on business trip!

I served in a village in Kaduna North very close to Funtua in Katsina some years back. In that village, there was no electricity, no pipe-borne water; no telecommunication. The village was a country on its own out of Nigeria. There was an Ibo man living in that village who supplies the entire villagers with household needs. He owns a big supermarket in the village and sells different things for the villagers. He normally buys the items from the South and takes them down to the village to sell. He lives in the village with his wife and kids. He only travels to his home town in the East during festive periods e.g Christmas and when the need arises. He did not even fear for his life being the only Ibo in the whole village! I really appreciate the man.

Summarily, Ibos are generally highly industrious and hardworking people. To our Ibo brothers and sisters, I say kudos to you all!

HAUSAS

Trust: Hausa are generally trustworthy. If an average Hausa man tells you 'Good morning', then, you should know the period of the day is actually morning. Hausas are like pigeons which stay with the house owner till death. This attribute of Hausas is indeed worthy of emulation.

YORUBAS

Child's Upbringing: When it comes to the issue of training children with ethics and moral uprightness, Yorubas are fore runners, even before the advent of missionaries. Even in adversity! A typical poor Yoruba parent with only garri and groundnut would teach his/her children to be contented and be morally upright with the garri and groundnut. This attribute is also worthy of emulation.

As a nation, we should try to emulate and emphasise the good sides of one another rather than attacking one another and being tribalistic. This would go a long way in strengthening our unity in diversity.

Feel free to add yours.

CC: Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by scholes0(m): 7:36am On Sep 10, 2015
I don't know, but I think you may have used the wrong word to describe the Igbo hustling trait, but I would term it Survuval or Business Hardiness rather than Hardwork. That you travel for business does not make you the only hardworking person around.... there are hardworking Farmers, civil servants, Craftsmen (Carpenters, plumbers, constructors, Panel beaters, fashion designers, photographers, Web designers Etc), Office workers and so forth around.
you get the drift?

On a personal level, I just dislike all these stereotypic threads that aims to tag particular traits to entire ethnic group that number in the Millions.
Who said Hausas or Igbos cant be good child raisers, or that an Igbo or Yoruba person can't be trusted, or that a Yoruba or Hausa man can't be Industrious?. People differ the most on an individual level.
My 2 cents sha.

6 Likes

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by dejavski(m): 8:04am On Sep 10, 2015
Cuddlebugie:

What tribe are the "ilajes"? undecided

A tribe in the Atlantic coast of Nigeria grin
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by absoluteSuccess: 9:24am On Sep 10, 2015
I nominate this thread for critical review, is it poverty that define the best about Yoruba ni? Try find out more, OP. Don't insult Yoruba people's intelligence in a childish way.

4 Likes

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 9:46am On Sep 10, 2015
dejavski:

A tribe in the Atlantic coast of Nigeria grin
Save for what we read here, what else is your tribe known for?.............

Another question, is the ilaje tribal mark attractive or repulsive? No offence meant grin
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 9:57am On Sep 10, 2015
Ebubeslym:

The sun will keep rising from the east.
Eziokwu undecided
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by MrOlai: 10:01am On Sep 10, 2015
scholes0:
I don't know, but I think you may have used the wrong word to describe the Igbo hustling trait, but I would term it Survuval or Business Hardiness rather than Hardwork. That you travel for business does not make you the only hardworking person around.... there are hardworking Farmers, civil servants, Craftsmen (Carpenters, plumbers, constructors, Panel beaters, fashion designers, photographers, Web designers Etc), Office workers and so forth around.
you get the drift?
On a personal level, I just dislike all these stereotypic threads that aims to tag particular traits to entire ethnic group that number in the Millions.
Who said Hausas or Igbos cant be good child raisers, or that an Igbo or Yoruba person can't be trusted, or that a Yoruba or Hausa man can't be Industrious?. People differ the most on an individual level.
My 2 cents sha.

You have spoken well. The qualities mentioned are not really mutually exclusive in every tribe. We are are talking about good qualities that are obviously pronounced in each tribe.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by MrOlai: 10:06am On Sep 10, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I nominate this thread for critical review, is it poverty that define the best about Yoruba ni? Try find out more, OP. Don't insult Yoruba people's intelligence in a childish way.
I can never do that. I am a Yoruba myself. Why should I insult my tribe? I am only trying to show the the resilience of Yoruba in child's training.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by dejavski(m): 10:21am On Sep 10, 2015
Cuddlebugie:
Save for what we read here, what else is your tribe known for?.............

Another question, is the ilaje tribal mark attractive or repulsive? No offence meant grin

We don't do the fight lion type if that's what you mean. It's a single tiny stroke on the face
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 10:53am On Sep 10, 2015
dejavski:

We don't do the fight lion type if that's what you mean. It's a single tiny stroke on the face
Indeed cheesy
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 11:00am On Sep 10, 2015
The "tribe defenders" are here again....
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by absoluteSuccess: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
MrOlai:

I can never do that. I am a Yoruba myself. Why should I insult my tribe? I am only trying to show the the resilience of Yoruba in child's training.
Let me paint a picture for you, you were asked to invite three of your best friends to an event with a pass, based on the outfit that best suit each, now your best friends appear at the event with the description you painted them by. Who would people at frontpage accord honour? Who will they disdain as image of hopelessness since Mary Slessor? I don't see the discipline mum's reward in your post, to show your tribe is capable of anything (but suffering and discipline that has changed nothing). Please learn not to put Yoruba and Igbo on the same page in comparison, good or bad. You wont like the result. The Yoruba adage has warned us all, gbogbo soro-soro, eranti eni moo gbo, amoro gbor jura lo. What did I say, OP?

2 Likes

Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 4:20pm On Sep 10, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Let me paint a picture for you, you were asked to invite three of your best friends to an event with a pass, based on the outfit that best suit each, now your best friends appear at the event with the description you painted them by. Who would people at frontpage accord honour? Who will they disdain as image of hopelessness since Mary Slessor? I don't see the discipline mum's reward in your post, to show your tribe is capable of anything (but suffering and discipline that has changed nothing). Please learn not to put Yoruba and Igbo on the same page in comparison, good or bad. You wont like the result. The Yoruba adage has warned us all, gbogbo soro-soro, eranti eni moo gbo, amoro gbor jura lo. What did I say, OP?
L A D I !!!!!!!!!!
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by absoluteSuccess: 6:08pm On Sep 10, 2015
Cuddlebugie:
L A D I !!!!!!!!!!
Eh!!! As it is said, a golden fish has no hidden place, I command you, zee, manifest. Welcome my love. Welcome back home. cheesy Op is an impostor.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 7:51pm On Sep 10, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Why can't you keep a secret?

What gave me away?
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by absoluteSuccess: 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
Cuddlebugie:
Why can't you keep a secret?

What gave me away?
I got the inkling from your question about the egbado. Then when you quote me, I knew its you. How do you do my lady? I miss your person and your witty cracks.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by YungMillionaire: 3:59am On Sep 11, 2015
MrOlai:

Of all the good qualities your tribe possesses they ONLY thing you see is child's training. *Shaking my damn head*

PS: I am not even Yoruba.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by badnature: 8:35am On Sep 11, 2015
rubbish if Yoruba people are good in child upbringing why then do the master lies deceit and propaganda and dirty at the same time? let me add one more thing barbarism why?
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by Cuddlebugie(f): 9:35am On Sep 11, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I got the inkling from your question about the egbado. Then when you quote me, I knew its you. How do you do my lady? I miss your person and your witty cracks.
I'm fine, my dear

I see you've changed, big fish
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by absoluteSuccess: 10:37am On Sep 11, 2015
Cuddlebugie:
I'm fine, my dear

I see you've changed, big fish
Change is trending sweetie, have to move with the tides. We don't have more than a lifetime, and it's ever fleeting.
Re: Good Qualities Of The Three Major Ethnic Groups In Nigeria, Worthy Of Emulation by absoluteSuccess: 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2015
badnature:
rubbish if Yoruba people are good in child upbringing why then do the master lies deceit and propaganda and dirty at the same time? let me add one more thing barbarism why?
The answer is you. If they should pile all the accolades in this world and heap it on Igbo, you wont see it the moment you spot Yoruba written somewhere. That gives you sorrow, all that you listed are the alibi to justify your name, bad nature. Its in your nature to hate others. Rejoice in the accolade of your people, leave others to tag along.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Pidgin / Which Of These Should I Use For My Rituals Tonight? (sacred Pics) / List Of Villages And Towns In Gbako Local Government By Aliyu Mantafien

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.