Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,523 members, 7,816,280 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri (4284 Views)

Biafra Is A Failed Project, We Are For One Nigeria – Igbo Community In Adamawa / QUIT NOTICE: Igbo Community In Borno Held Peace Meeting With Borno People / Is Ogu-bolo In River State Igbo Or Ijaw?: See Towns And Village Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 11, 2015
Igbo Akiri is an Igbo community in Edo State, Nigeria. It is made up of six villages namely, Umuolua, Obiogba (Aki), Umuiru, Igbonto, Umuodi,
Olije and Ota. The community was previously
misspelt "Igbanke" by the British colonists. But
today, the people of this community have
successfully organized rallies which resulted in
changing their name back to the correct spelling "Igbo Akiri". The leaderdhip of Igbo Akiri is headed by Eze, Dei (Dim), Ndi Ichie, Dike, okenye ulo, and okenye ala.
Each of these heads has their jurisdiction. The
jurisdiction could be stratified into three: The family
level (ezi na ulo), the clan or hamlets and the villages (ebo). At the family level, the okenye ulo
(usually the oldest man in the family) presides. At
the village quarters, the okrnye ala is the head,
while the Eze rules over the entire village.
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/igbo_akiri

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by nofij(m): 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
NOBODYY:
Igbo = Crap lipsrsealed
Because you are yoruba? Continue...

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by brize(m): 6:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
Igbo and other biafran languages is so unique and great and will always be......

7 Likes

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by zendy: 6:31pm On Sep 11, 2015
I will never be able to understand how an Igbo speaking community such as the Igbanke people ended up in Edo state. How on earth did this happen? Anyway, when Biafra comes, they are all returning to the Igbo fold

6 Likes

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by laudate: 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
Igbanke communities are ruled by Enogies, not Ezes.
Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by laribari(m): 2:01am On Jan 22, 2016
This is very interesting and funny to me digging into these things because it feels like when those white (half cast) people are tracing their root........lol. smiley

Well i'm not really bothered about the change of name be it Igbanke (Edo) or Igbo akiri (Igbo) because that can change pending on the region you are in, since everyone will want to call it their own way. There is another one which is Omolua (Edo) or Umuolua (Igbo) but i will prefer to stay in the middle to avoid controversy and the middle is where we really fit in which is Anioma, although that is more Igbo.

Why i will say Anioma is because Agbor is categorized as one. They actually speak Ika (delta ibo) and Igbanke & Agbor are forever united and i myself I rep Ika to the fullest as an Igbanke dude. Like i said, i see them as blood brothers irrespective of the fact that my paternal grandmother is from Agbor. Today, Agbor is considered or spoken of as Ika anioma and that is the sentiment i share.

The reality is that (for a kingdom like Igbanke), we can only know who we are if we look at Abgor, then we can also know where we are and whether we are supposed to be in Edo state or not.

Ika is subdivided just like Igbo language too, so there is slight difference btw Igbanke Ika and Agbor Ika but you will understand 100% what each person is saying. Geographically we are nearest to Agbor than any bini town. The bini might be our founding fathers based on ancestry just like they founded itshekiri but that doesn't make us Edo (Geographically).

I am a first class indigene of Igbanke from Omolua as it or Igbo akiri from Umoulua village (whatever). I'm in my late 30s and what i have always known our king to be called from childhood till date is Eze ( Eze omolua) even though most of us call it Omolua. we used to visit the palace whenever we travel. I attended the university of Benin so i know plenty about benin too but my going there was not because we were ceded in Edo State, after all my Dad wanted me in Unilag.

However, i'm naturally at home with Anioma people mainly because of my IKA-ANIOMA LANGUAGE, style of music, cultural attire and way of life with no affiliation to bini which i still do not speak or understand despite living in the town in the past. I have flair for languages but struggling to even understand bini.

We from Igbanke see Agbor as our big brother and that is where we go shopping back in the day. To be honest, Agbor is about 10 mins drive from my village, even though google map states 23mins from Igbanke to Agbor but it's closest to delta than any bibi town.

Naturally (without struggle) all Igbanke people understand central Igbo language and many of us also speak the central Anioma tongue which i love so much because there is no struggling with it.

I have heard the whole story concerning Ogbemumia and how Igbanke became Edo but most youth of today we are not comfortable in EDO and some of my Yoruba friends in secondary school days jokingly call us slaves because we speak delta, yet being trapped in Edo but that is what it seems. when people ask us where we are from we just say Agbor just to spell us the whole question and answer thing because if you start to speak Ika then i and my brothers can respond better.

whether the Oba of Benin calls the king of Igbanke as enogie does not matter but what the indigenes calls their king is what counts. To call the king an Enogie is expected because he will adopt a bini name and title being that he finds himself under Edo state but ask any Igbanke person (first hand) what we call the king, then you will be told it is Eze because naturally we can relate with that without any sentiment, reason politics or geographical background in mind. we just see it as being correct when we use it!

In my village it is called Eze Omolua. My uncle's name is also Ezewani meaning "the land belongs to the king". In terms of names, we bear Ika names, Anioma names and even Edo names which for me does not matter because somethings (especially migration) can influence that.

If you ask Igbanke youths out there to make a choice, none of them will go with Bini because already Agbor and our Ika tongue is a big influence on us. We have been with Bini since but no affiliation to be honest.

Just to add this, one of my uncles married a full Edo Woman though she's late now. Those days she used to call us owe Igbo and she sees it as a form of greeting despite that she knows we are Ika. Reality is that Bini do not see Ika as their kin.

However, i remain a Nigerian.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Mckennedy: 2:15am On Jan 22, 2016
Igbo Akiri is an Igbo community in Edo State, Nigeria. It is made up of six villages namely, Umuolua, Obiogba (Aki), Umuiru, Igbonto, Umuodi,
Olije and Ota. The community was previously
misspelt "Igbanke" by the British colonists. But
today, the people of this community have
successfully organized rallies which resulted in
changing their name back to the correct spelling "Igbo Akiri". The leaderdhip of Igbo Akiri is headed by Eze, Dei (Dim), Ndi Ichie, Dike, okenye ulo, and okenye ala.
Each of these heads has their jurisdiction. The
jurisdiction could be stratified into three: The family
level (ezi na ulo), the clan or hamlets and the villages (ebo). At the family level, the okenye ulo
(usually the oldest man in the family) presides. At
the village quarters, the okrnye ala is the head,
while the Eze rules over the entire village.
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/igbo_akiri

Very interesting.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by ExplorerReturns(m): 3:23am On Jan 22, 2016
laribari:
This is very interesting and funny to me digging into these things because it feels like when those white (half cast) people are tracing their root........lol. smiley

Well i'm not really bothered about the change of name be it Igbanke (Edo) or Igbo akiri (Igbo) because that can change pending on the region you are in, since everyone will want to call it their own way. There is another one which is Omolua (Edo) or Umuolua (Igbo) but i will prefer to stay in the middle to avoid controversy and the middle is where we really fit in which is Anioma, although that is more Igbo.

Ika is subdivided just like Igbo language too, so there is slight difference btw Igbanke Ika and Agbor Ika but you will understand 100% what each person is saying. Geographically we are nearest to Agbor than any bini town. The bini might be our founding fathers based on ancestry just like they founded itshekiri but that doesn't make us Edo (Geographically).

I am a first class indigene of Igbanke from Omolua as it or Igbo akiri from Umoulua village (whatever). I'm in my late 30s and what i have always known our king to be called from childhood till date is Eze ( Eze Umuolua) even though most of us call it Omolua. we used to visit the palace whenever we travel. I attended the university of Benin so i know plenty about benin too but my going there was not because we were ceded in Edo State, after all my Dad wanted me in Unilag.

However, i'm naturally at home with Anioma people mainly because of my IKA-ANIOMA LANGUAGE, style of music, cultural attire and way of life with no affiliation to bini which i still do not speak or understand despite living in the town in the past. I have flair for languages but struggling to even understand bini.

We from Igbanke see Agbor as our big brother and that is where we go shopping back in the day. To be honest, Agbor is about 10 mins drive from my village.

Naturally (without struggle) all Igbanke people understand central Igbo language and many of us also speak the central Anioma tongue which i love so much because there is no struggling with it.

I have heard the whole story concerning Ogbemumia and how Igbanke became Edo but most youth of today we are not comfortable in EDO and some of my Yoruba friends in secondary school days jokingly call us slaves because we speak delta, yet being trapped in Edo but that is what it seems. when people ask us where we are from we just say Agbor just to spell us the whole question and answer thing because if you start to speak Ika then i and my brothers can respond better.

whether the Oba of Benin calls the king of Igbanke as enogie does not matter but what the indigenes calls their king is what counts. To call the king an Enogie is expected because he will adopt a bini name and title being that he finds himself under Edo state but ask any Igbanke person (first hand) what we call the king, then you will be told it is Eze because naturally we can relate with that. In my village it is called Eze Omolua. My uncle's name is also Ezewani meaning "the land belongs to the king". In terms of names, we bear Ika-Anioma names and Edo names which for me does not matter because somethings can influence that.

If you ask Igbanke youths out there, none of them will go with Bini because already Agbor and the Ika town is a big influence on us. We have been with Bini since but no affiliation to be honest.

However, i remain a NIgerian.

I love this. I love people who are proud of their Igbo origin. though you people are unfortunate to be in Edo just like Igbos of kogi and Benue. we are fortunate in rivers state because the I jaws were driven to bayelsa and we have the numbers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Freedom4us: 3:29am On Jan 22, 2016
NOBODYY:
Igbo = Crap lipsrsealed

So Igbo is crap and you don't want them to leave nigeria?

you are scared of igbos leaving Nigeria?

WOW

This kind crap where the whole yoruba dey fear na wa.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Nobody: 3:30am On Jan 22, 2016
I sure say na one powerful sper-m make that community.

Ndi nna nna anyi do too much.grin

Asadike, bia sorom nuru oocheesy
Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Freedom4us: 3:32am On Jan 22, 2016
NOBODYY:
Igbo = Crap lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by NOBODYY: 4:37am On Jan 22, 2016

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by asadike(f): 7:40am On Jan 22, 2016
SirJeffry:
I sure say na one powerful sper-m make that community.

Ndi nna nna anyi do too much.grin

Asadike, bia sorom nuru oocheesy
wow, dalu nwokeoma, so we even have igbos in edo state. Amu kalaaka na obi si li ike bu ihe mere nka , oh ah.
Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by cheruv: 7:54am On Jan 22, 2016
laribari:

I am a first class indigene of Igbanke from Omolua as it or Igbo akiri from Umoulua village (whatever). I'm in my late 30s and what i have always known our king to be called from childhood till date is Eze ( Eze Umuolua) even though most of us call it Omolua. we used to visit the palace whenever we travel. I attended the university of Benin so i know plenty about benin too but my going there was not because we were ceded in Edo State, after all my Dad wanted me in Unilag.

We from Igbanke see Agbor as our big brother and that is where we go shopping back in the day. To be honest, Agbor is about 10 mins drive from my village.

whether the Oba of Benin calls the king of Igbanke as enogie does not matter but what the indigenes calls their king is what counts. To call the king an Enogie is expected because he will adopt a bini name and title being that he finds himself under Edo state but ask any Igbanke person (first hand) what we call the king, then you will be told it is Eze because naturally we can relate with that. In my village it is called Eze Omolua. My uncle's name is also Ezewani meaning "the land belongs to the king". In terms of names, we bear Ika-Anioma names and Edo names which for me does not matter because somethings can influence that.

If you ask Igbanke youths out there, none of them will go with Bini because already Agbor and the Ika town is a big influence on us. We have been with Bini since but no affiliation to be honest.

However, i remain a NIgerian.
Your piece is quite touching I must confess cry

But seriously what efforts are your people(ndi Igbo akiri) putting in to ensure that Anioma state is created and that your people are included within its bordersundecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Marcelini(m): 7:57am On Jan 22, 2016
asadike:
wow, dalu nwokeoma, so we even have igbos in edo state. Amu kalaaka na obi si li ike bu ihe mere nka , oh ah.

Lol! You are funny o! "Amu kalaaka" indeed. grin

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Marcelini(m): 8:01am On Jan 22, 2016
cheruv:

Your piece is quite touching I must confess cry

But seriously what efforts are your people(ndi Igbo akiri) putting in to ensure that Anioma state is created and that your people are included within its bordersundecided

Most Igbanke people are comfortable with the Anioma identity, but are not in any way comfortable with the Igbo tag. Out of ignorance and hear say, they assume the Igbos of the East to be as domineering as the Edos( Binis) who had been trying to Edonize them. Don't forget that Igbanke became affiliated to Bini because she was scared of Agbor dominance.

But I guess with Asaba and neighbouring Aniocha/ Oshimili clans favouring Igbo identity, Igbanke will eventually be led into the Igbo identity tag. It's a work in progress.

Also, Igbanke is not the only Ika/ Igbo speaking clan in Edo state, there are a couple of others too.
Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by babyfaceafrica: 8:20am On Jan 22, 2016
ExplorerReturns:

I love this. I love people who are proud of their Igbo origin. though you people are unfortunate to be in Edo just like Igbos of kogi and Benue. we are fortunate in rivers state because the I jaws were driven to bayelsa and we have the numbers
how can you say they are unfortunate to be in edo?...that's insultive!!!!!!!...no one is unfortunate to be where he or she is......everything happens for a reason.....proudly Nigerian!!!!
Re: The Igbo Community In Edo State:igbo Akiri by Relic2020: 8:20am On Jan 22, 2016
OP and contributors, I want you people to research Igbo indigenes in Abi, Cross River State. Former Gov. Imoke is from there. Also research Igbos in Ika in Akwa Ibom. This country has done a hell of a thing to the Igbos in the name of cutting them to size...wickedly dividing blood-knitted people. Igbo indigenes can be found natively in all so-called SS states, Benue and Kogi.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Face of SACKED, Nigerian Tribune Editor Who Hoaxed Fake Prof Sagay Interview / Finally UK Is Now Against Buhari:see What They Revealed About Him(mindblowing) / Hilarious Buhari's Picture Going Viral On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.