Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,027 members, 7,956,803 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:27 PM

Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? (652 Views)

Dolapo Osinbajo, Husband & Children Celebrate Her 50th Birthday / Nnamdi Kanu Arrives Enugu, Prays For Fallen IPOB Heroes (pictured) / Naira "Appreciation": Why Nigerians Should Not Celebrate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Sep 11, 2015
The Biafran war ended in 1970 with great military casualties from both Biafran and Nigerian forces. The Igbo people of Biafra have always celebrated their fallen Heroes. The Biafrans have a colossal cenotaph monument in Enugu, a hall of fame in Aba and in addition, Gov. Godswill Akpabio recently launched another monument in honor of Biafra fallen heroes in Akwa Ibom.

History has it that Biafra lost about 25,000 soldiers in the war while Nigeria lost over 50,000 soldiers. Despite the low military casualty on the Biafran side, however, Biafrans still hold yearly rally in honor of their fallen heroes around the world. Ironically, we have never seen such patriotism on the Nigerian side.

Now my question is, why do Nigerians not celebrate their fallen heroes? Does 50,000 lives not count or their losses weren't appreciated? Please i need answers not rhetoric.

N.B: This thread is not meant to start an e-war, just want to know why soldiers who gave their lives fighting for Nigeria are not honored, so much that war veterans like Benjamin Adekunle A.K.A Black Scorpion died a pauper and nonentity which is quite shameful for a nation.
Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by ibe9ja: 10:17pm On Sep 11, 2015
Is it not Nigeria you called it? I blame the soldiers that sacrificed their lives for that zoo.

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 11, 2015
What is armed forces remembrance day for??
Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2015
ibe9ja:
Is it not Nigeria you called it? I blame the soldiers that sacrificed their lives for that zoo.

Honestly it is very shameful and regrettable. Last time i read somewhere where a war veteran was complaining about his pension being only N500. grin grin Nigeria is truly not a nation and the more reason why it should collapse so that patriotic people can build their own nation.
Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 11, 2015
vfactor:
What is armed forces remembrance day for??

Forget about that nonsense no one cares about. Where are the families of the people who died in the civil war? We don't hear or read any stories about their heroic effort, even Benjamin Adekunle we managed to read about died a pauper and his corpse thrown to the dogs. No monuments, no celebration, nothing special for the "Heroes", everyone just moves on.

Chai!! Naija e dikwa egu ooo grin
Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Haywhymido(m): 10:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
May his mercy never leave us.

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2015
Lols. What do'u expect from a system so fukced over

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 11, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:
Lols. What do'u expect from a system so fukced over

Truly fukced up man! For all those asking why Biafrans are ready to go to war again? Here is our answer:

When we die, we will be celebrated and immortalized by our people, but for you who fought on the Nigerian side? grin grin You'll die for nothing. tongue
Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2015
huangcheng:

Truly fukced up man! For all those asking why Biafrans are ready to go to war again? Here is our answer:

When we die, we will be celebrated and immortalized by our people, but for you who fought on the Nigerian side? grin grin You'll die for nothing. tongue

Lols. Your head is not correct.

Go and waste your life for a 'failed cause' for all I care. grin

I just pity your Mother . cheesy
Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 11, 2015
Buddahmonk,Exxell,Arodewilliams,Duru,Xtrorse,Ericcantona,Freeglobe,Rose2014,Anambradota, barcanista, lalasticlala, ishilove, whynotthetruth, temitemi1, severussnape, mogodi, mizmycoli, phockphockman, candyrain, whitetechnology, firefire, flets ecoterrors passingshot, fulanimafia, doctokwus,tomankint, truckpusher, dearpreye, ambivert, onatisi gratiaeo , noblezone, chinology, gbossure, nigerianvenom, taylor86, southernbreeze, eagleeye, chukwudi44, anomini, tolexander, cyberwolf, pazienza, rose2014,midolian, priscaoge, duru1, obiagelli, beremx, symphony007, abagoro, lmayedun talktimi, wombraiders,afam4eva,obinoscopy,cr77, donmayor,likila,

1 Like

Re: Opinion - Why Do Nigeria Not Celebrate Her Fallen Heroes? by AmandaMustapha(f): 5:31pm On Apr 21, 2016
I will like to let you know that some Nigerian take Armed Forces Remembrance day very seriously, because this is the one day set aside to celebrate the men and women of the armed forces that have aid down their lives for Nigeria. Without God and them there might not be a Nigeria today, and everyday they put their lives on the line for their country and strangers that have no respect or honor for them. From the civil war with the south east to the issue of militancy in the south south to Plateau crisis and Fulani herdsmen in the North Central, to present day Boko haram insurgency in the North East we as a nation have lost fathers, mothers, sisters, daughters, sons, brothers, uncles, aunties, dear friends and the gallant men and women in armed forces that pay the ultimate price. My heart is sadden that we Nigerians have very little regard for this sacrifice.
However I am one the Nigerians that say enough is enough we need to become a generation that cares, My Name is Amanda Mustapha and I am the Founder of the Nigerian Fallen Heroes Foundation. A foundation set up to promote a culture of gratitude in Nigeria for the selfless service of the men and women of our armed forces, while honoring them and supporting the families they have left behind through various programs and initiatives.
We celebrate the Armed forces remembrance day on 15th January every year (we started in 2015)
We have done programs for the widows in the 23 Armored Brigade in Adamawa State and will extent to Borno State before mid of this year
We gathering information on a date base online (which you can find on www.nigerianfallenheroes.org) this data base is gathering information on those that have laid down their lives for Nigeria (A picture of the person, when the person died, where they died, Name and rank)
You can find out more about us on
www.nigerianfallenheroes.org
email: info@nigerianfallenheroes.org
facebook: www.facebook.com/nigerianfallenheroes
twitter: @nigfallenheroes

There are people who care anyone can visit this website and on our memorial wall drop a prayer, a message, a tribute, a poem, anything to just say thank you. We need to start caring about our nation and it starts with us as individuals..
Thank you!!!

(1) (Reply)

Rivers State Govt Reacts To Sahara Reporters Post On N200 Million Bribe / Please Refrain From Saying 'god Bless You' / The 46 Nigeria Celebrities Photos That Saved A Man From Committing Suicide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.