Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week (40198 Views)

EFCC Seizes George Turnah's Houses And Bank Accounts / "Senator Peter Nwaoboshi Has 20 Bank Accounts In 6 Banks" / Buhari Proposes N6.8trn 2017 Budget, N1.6trn For Debt Servicing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by PassingShot(m): 12:26pm On Sep 13, 2015
anonimi:
Good initiative from President Muhammadu Buhari.
Good.

Very soon, all of you guys will have no choice than to accept that PMB is the next good thing to happen to Nigeria since independence.

6 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by refreshrate: 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2015
asha80:
ok understood but from the article the funds to be withdrawn are govt funds or govt agencies funds so I don't get the when you said depositors funds

A depositor is anyone who keeps money in a bank.

Like you would call someone who buys stuff from a trader.

The fact that someone buys in bulk and another just one stick of chewing gum on the counter both are still customers.

In this case the govt agencies are the depositors cos they also fill an account opening form, make deposits in that particular bank and have payments made to that bank. Which translates to deposits, which makes it also a depositors fund.

2 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Sodiumdawg: 12:31pm On Sep 13, 2015
onatisi:
"He pointed out that if government decides to implement the policy strictly, there will be serious liquidity crisis as the top six banks in the public sector deposits control about 70 per cent of total money market liquidity."

Sure, people will lose jobs. Agreed.

If the part about six banks controlling 9.1 trillion with the remaining 19 or so "sharing" 3.9 trillion (70-30) is true, then my reaction is: "wahala dey".

Perhaps not, if the said six banks will bear most of the impact of TSA.

I see possible mergers, quite a number of layoffs, but maybe not unprecedented if we refer to Soludo's Consolidation drive.

3 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by refreshrate: 12:31pm On Sep 13, 2015
ribbit:
rants of a village ediot

Usually when people talk like this, they justify it like i did before.

You however just had to go ahead and prove me right didnt you?

onatisi come and see the person you were going into a debate with. You can now understand what i meant abi?
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by anonimi: 12:32pm On Sep 13, 2015
PassingShot:

Good.

Very soon, all of you guys will have no choice than to accept that PMB is the next good thing to happen to Nigeria since independence.

I knew it was only a matter of time before a MYOPIC person make a comment like yours.

Show me one single post where you acknowledged a good initiative by Jonathan or STFU and keep your label of HYPOCRITE forever.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by anonimi: 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2015
modath:

Bros... From you again??, shocking shocked

Bravo!!!

Why is it shocking
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by PassingShot(m): 12:35pm On Sep 13, 2015
anonimi:

I knew it was only a matter of time before a MYOPIC person make a comment like yours.

Show me one single post where you acknowledged a good initiative by Jonathan or STFU and keep your label of HYPOCRITE forever.
In fact I have many here but I can't go on a mission looking for posts of possibly some 2 or almost 3 years ago.

I just dey laugh your frustration. Desist from gutter words.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by ribbit: 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2015
refreshrate:

Usually when people talk like this, they justify it like i did before.

You however just had to go ahead and prove me right didnt you?

onatisi come and see the person you were going into a debate with. You can now understand what i meant abi?
mumu grin
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Adesiji77: 12:41pm On Sep 13, 2015
Nairaland FP seems to be focused on the banking industry these days.

The hustle is real... wink

Cc: slydog, Caracta, napa, DzTzl, Tinyemeka, 234GT, ednut
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by modath(f): 12:42pm On Sep 13, 2015
anonimi:

Why is it shocking

Though you said & I believe the good of the nation is your only interest, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that you are really walking your talk... But it seems you are the only one from the other side... Well done.

1 Like

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Nobody: 12:44pm On Sep 13, 2015
Brilliant I must say.
rusher14:
Banks are not meant to be artificially dependent on government accounts for sustenance.

Most banks in Nigeria refuse to maintain the true ethos of banking. They are mostly in to round tripping of funds, money laundry, and fast schemes which are inimical to the growth of the people.

Truly, there would be a downsizing of the work force but it is important for the banks to begin to see themselves as crucial to the growth and development of the Nation.

They should begin to fund enterprise, housing and infrastructure. What they've enjoyed for years are artificial deposits that benefit only the bankers and Directors of these government agencies.

Retail Banking isn't even meant to be one of the choice professions of graduates who have studied everything from agronomy to zoology. From engineering to Meteorology.

The party had to end some time.

Music wasn't even right ab Initio.

3 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by lorbah001(m): 12:47pm On Sep 13, 2015

I honor your wisdom sir! In fact i am amazed at your level of intellect. Thank you for being able to think the way you do and for this i pray God continues to increase you in more ways than you expect.

I really dont know how some foolish wastes of space come out shouting in support of this. It completely baffles me.
Now you see why they say Nigerian graduates are unemployable? If you ask them now theyll say they are graduates, well when most of their lecturers sef the books the use are from shortly after the end of the second world war which they convert to hand outs to make ends meet for themselves.

Senseless lot! [/quote]

Wisest one!!!

Pls I have a question for you..... Is it the statutory function of the government that a commercial bank thrives with its funds?

I guess u rarely attended class during ur school days!

Ur lazy banks should be out there investing on properties not juz sitting down arms across chest begging looters for fixed deposits.

4 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Treasure88: 12:48pm On Sep 13, 2015
Ayomax:
you will end up in jail like him (you won't be as rich as him tho) in Jesus name, Amen!!!!!
its a shame u added Jesus name to d prayer. its bad to curse anybody. I reject it for him in Jesus name for d curse of d curse less shall not stand. but bro OVI75 don't imitate evil like ibori did
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by onatisi(m): 12:49pm On Sep 13, 2015
Sodiumdawg:

Sure, people will lose jobs. Agreed.

If the part about six banks controlling 9.1 trillion with the remaining 19 or so "sharing" 3.9 trillion (70-30) is true, then my reaction is: "wahala dey".

Perhaps not, if the said six banks will bear most of the impact of TSA.

I see possible mergers, quite a number of layoffs, but maybe not unprecedented if we refer to Soludo's Consolidation drive.
bros the wahala is going too be too heavy on the system. Don't forget the dwindling oil revenue,the bottom line is our economy is still not totally conducive for government to implement this policy at a go.please don't get me wrong the policy is good it will curb corruption within the govt circle but what many are saying is that it should be done in stages to give room for banks to adapt and adjust as it is been implemented pls note this policy was actually initiated by gej but he delayed its implementation and wanted to do it on batches.you can't just withdraw 600govt parastatals account worth over 2.6trillion from the banking sector at a go and expect no serious reaction

1 Like

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
ribbit:
its not important that we have 1billion banks.. 5 strong banks is enough .. Good .. The rest could merge .

I strongly agree with you. Any bank that folds/downsizes due to this TSA move should be probed, no bank is meant to be dependent on public funds.

In saner climes, except for maybe reserves_ public funds isn't meant to be sitting somewhere in one(unknown) account.

It's meant to be doing something visible, constructing roads/schools/hospitals...paying salaries but that's not the case anymore, people like Are-GBESE-ola would fix civil servants salary somewhere and be forming no money. A lot of them do it and it's crazy.
They should even move every, both State and Federal.
Y'would see there would be know more salary owing again, CBN would probably credit the various commercial banks where salary accts are domicile and with the right schedule they pay civil servants.

I support the move, strong banks would definitely survive. The ones that go about downsizing have probably been looking for how to downsize.

13 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
mrvitalis:
The fact that the Nigerian government can't generate 15trn every year still surprises me
.....south Africa with a GDP of $350bn generates close to $100bn and we with a GDP of around $500bn struggle to make $50bn in a year.. .. .
Corruption has eaten this country dry

South Africa also has something we have not got....a diversified economy, and a strict tax regime.

Over there, for example...they pay TV licensing fee....ie if you have television, you pay money to govt to get a licence for your tv.Try THAT in Nigeria.....there will be riots in the streets from Sokoto to Port Harcourt.

2 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 13, 2015
ribbit:
Nigeria ofcourse ..

Before merger, we used to have over 100 banks.. Every ediots open a bank, people deposit , and the bank folds up, people lose their money ..
Thanks to sanusi, Nigeria now has less down 20 mainstream banks strong enough to compete with any bank in the world and with branches all over the world ..
Less down 20 banks divided by over 200million people equals 10 million per bank.

If they merge again, it changes nothing but increases there operations and they will employ new people and be more efficient. Or what is the point of keeping your money in a place that is not safe?

Actually....at the bolded...that was thanks to Soludo.

(From a SLS fan who thinks he should be Finance minister in this new regime).

2 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by mezebel(f): 12:59pm On Sep 13, 2015
Good development...

Morrow is my Bday. Ur likes and share worth more than moet popping

2 Likes

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by sammyj: 1:00pm On Sep 13, 2015
grin angry shocked grin grin cheesy
onatisi:
who told you the banks are living fat on those monies? If you don't know it us because of those monies that many banks are still existing what this news is telling you is that expect the greatest job cuts and sacks in the banking industry.by the time those monies are withdrawn most of your friends who are bankers will be sacked and thrown into the unemployment market. Instead of government doing this in a single swoop,this policy should have been implemented in stages. Only the top 5 banks will be safe to bank with by November
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Sodiumdawg: 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
onatisi:
bros the wahala is going too be too heavy on the system. Don't forget the dwindling oil revenue,the bottom line is our economy is still not totally conducive for government to implement this policy at a go.please don't get me wrong the policy is good it will curb corruption within the govt circle but what many are saying is that it should be done in stages to give room for banks to adapt and adjust as it is been implemented pls note this policy was actually initiated by gej but he delayed its implementation and wanted to do it on batches.you can't just withdraw 600govt parastatals account worth over 2.6trillion from the banking sector at a go and expect no serious reaction

Bro, we are agreed that there will be a negative impact. Where we differ may be in the extent of the impact.

While I agree that the TSA should be achieved in stages, well, the reality is that FG seems to favour doing it in one fell swoop.

I'm already looking at damage control; "shock absorption", if you will, if FG is not dissuaded from going ahead with their plan.

PS. I like discussing with you. You've got a quick mind.
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by princemillla(m): 1:07pm On Sep 13, 2015
No wonder zenith bank sack most it's staff.....

Watching
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Sodiumdawg: 1:10pm On Sep 13, 2015
refreshrate:

Onatisi!

Onatisi!!

Onatisi!!!

*using abokis voice* How many times did i call you're name? Youre smart enough to know when someone bereft of intellect writes something, why in Gods name are your responding to that village eediot?

Ehn!?

Why?

There are certain posts you see here on Nairaland you get better value conversing with a wall than the poster. You will injure yourself o.

Oh you think because etisalat now gives 10mb when they load 200naira and fairly used phones are all over the place that means everybody here has sense?

Theyre called smartphones...the person holding them most times, well thats a whole new story all together. please dont forget this...dont ever forget this.

Epic!

I wish there was a Nairaland "wall of fame" somewhere so I can immortalize this post!

1 Like

Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by onatisi(m): 1:12pm On Sep 13, 2015
Sodiumdawg:

Bro, we are agreed that there will be a negative impact. Where we differ may be in the extent of the impact.

While I agree that the TSA should be achieved in stages, well, the reality is that FG seems to favour doing it in one fell swoop.

I'm already looking at damage control; "shock absorption", if you will, if FG is not dissuaded from going ahead with their plan.

PS. I like discussing with you. You've got a quick mind.
bros the damage control will be for many Nigerians to leave the country. I won't be surprise if interest rates on loans ho up which will increase cost of goods and production not forgetting the effects of cbn policy on forex. It seems buhari wants to change the whole setup but our economy is too big for such radical Change in a drastic manner.
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Bjergtrolde: 1:12pm On Sep 13, 2015
pacodas:
Maybe the banks will start giving smes loans with favourable interest rates.

No chance of that happening now.
It was this money that most of the banks used to offer the small man loans.
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Akanbiedu(m): 1:12pm On Sep 13, 2015
mrvitalis:
The fact that the Nigerian government can't generate 15trn every year still surprises me
.....south Africa with a GDP of $350bn generates close to $100bn and we with a GDP of around $500bn struggle to make $50bn in a year.. .. .
Corruption has eaten this country dry

Calm down. Buhari is in charge. By the time loopholes are blocked, the result will shock you.
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by onatisi(m): 1:13pm On Sep 13, 2015
princemillla:
No wonder zenith bank sack most it's staff.....

Watching
the zenith bank sack was just the beginning.everybody will sack state,FG and private
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Sodiumdawg: 1:14pm On Sep 13, 2015
onatisi:
bros the damage control will be for many Nigerians to leave the country. I won't be surprise if interest rates on loans ho up which will increase cost of goods and production not forgetting the effects of cbn policy on forex. It seems buhari wants to change the whole setup but our economy is too big for such radical Change in a drastic manner.

Seems like PMB wants to "drive an eighteen-wheeler like a Porshe".

Shay?

*grabs passport*
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by onatisi(m): 1:16pm On Sep 13, 2015
Sodiumdawg:

Seems like PMB wants to "drive an eighteen-wheeler like a Porshe".

Shay?

*grabs passport*
the problems buhari is creating now with his solutions presently will take the incoming ministers months to resolve when they are eventually appointed
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
plug all the leaks...
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Nascimento(m): 1:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
Though I'm politically neutral, but I must say that President Buhari is really making great decisions. I'm not a fan of him though.
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by Sodiumdawg: 1:21pm On Sep 13, 2015
onatisi:
the problems buhari is creating now with his solutions presently will take the incoming ministers months to resolve when they are eventually appointed

Well, let's wait and see, and hope and pray.

Meanwhile I'm gonna take checking out a bit more seriously.
Re: N2.6trn Govt Deposits In 20,000 Bank Accounts To Be Closed This Week by chrisemy01: 1:21pm On Sep 13, 2015
This should be enforced while we prepare for the temporary negative effects. To cushion this, there should probably be little or no CRR on private sector deposits by CBN. This will boost liquidity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha & Wife Receive Their Grandchild In Imo From The US. Pics / Bukola Saraki Reacts To The Death Of Ibrahim Chatta / President Buhari Shows Street Credibility In Oyo. More Pictures.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.