Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,096 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City (2265 Views)

Obiano’s Overrated Fly-over Bridges Already Collapsing, Be Careful While Using. / We’ll Send Aregbesola Back To Lagos: An Insane And Irresponsible Statement / Opinion -Lagos Oil Exploration, What determines a Nautical Miles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Oooops: 11:28am On Sep 13, 2015
This is a personal opinion and not a meal for tribal bigots to feed on.
I have reasons to always travel down to Lagos for one thing or another. My most recent trip was last weekend. Looking at the streets in Lagos, i thought to myself, Lagos is overrated. Went through Apapa and the number of Okada on that road is more than the number of human staying there. Hundreds of trailers are packed on the already bad roads making it not motorable. Its was so bad. I spoke with one of the trailer drivers, he said there is no other provisions made for them to park by the government even with their relevance to the Port located there.
I went through Bariga, the humans on the road would soon start lapping each other just to enable them walk. People were packed like sarden.
I went to several other places, Agege, Amhadiya, Ojuelegba etc
MY THOUGHTS: These acts made me think deeply. Very soon Lagos is going to be so packed that people will start struggling literarily.
Why? 70% of the Jobs in Nigeria are in Lagos. Looking into vacancies, all you see is Lagos. It makes me wonder if we don't have government with sense?
The ideal thing a government should be focused on is developing other cities. Move some offices, agencies, companies and government bodies to other cities. This will help develop other cities and decongest Lagos. Our government as a matter of responsibility should have future plans as daily people keep migrating to Lagos all because of jobs and greener pastures. Read of the Niger deltans protesting of the proposed plan to site their oil ish in Lagos again!!!
I think Lagos is overrated all because if the lack of planning by the government... and with the way things are going, its effect would be of no small consequences...
Positive critism is welcomed!

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Antoinne: 11:33am On Sep 13, 2015
I share your sentiments wholeheartedly. The city is super overrated and that's probably an understatement. And with no plan in sight to develop other cities and compulsorily move industries there, it does look like there is an expected catastrophe coming along. And to think of it, which city is any good in the whole country? Is it Abuja with the horrible politicians who terrorize citizens daily, Port Harcourt with its horrible, non-navigable roads, Lagos with its stink and filth or Kano with Boko Haram on the loose? I truly don't think so!
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by yomi007k(m): 11:34am On Sep 13, 2015
True.
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by alaoeri: 11:37am On Sep 13, 2015
You ain't far from the truth, majority living in highbrow areas don't get values for their money, its safe to say that Lagos is an expensive slum.
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Oooops: 11:56am On Sep 13, 2015
Antoinne:
I share your sentiments wholeheartedly. The city is super overrated and that's probably an understatement. And with no plan in sight to develop other cities and compulsorily move industries there, it does look like there is an expected catastrophe coming along. And to think of it, which city is any good in the whole country? Is it Abuja with the horrible politicians who terrorize citizens daily, Port Harcourt with its horrible, non-navigable roads, Lagos with its stink and filth or Kano with Boko Haram on the loose? I truly don't think so!
Yes. That is very correct. If not for the lack of foresight by our government both past and present, this shouldn't have been an issue by now. A whole country has just few major city; Abuja, Lagos, Portharcout, Kano etc..... Just these hand few. This is so wrong... By now we should have several cities housing several companies and known for something hence their attractions. Create access road and give citizens reasons to go there, if the job is available they will. Its pathetic that our government is more concerned abt money.... hmmmm
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Oooops: 12:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
alaoeri:
You ain't far from the truth, majority living in highbrow areas don't get values for their money, its safe to say that Lagos is an expensive slum.

Its really an expensive slum. Stayed in my brothers place at Bariga and when i heard how much he is paying in a three bedroom flat situated in one dirty environment i couldn't help but shake my head. What a waste. No wonder many people work to service bills... Most times lil to show for it Its well
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Antoinne: 12:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
Oooops:

Yes. That is very correct. If not for the lack of foresight by our government both past and present, this shouldn't have been an issue by now. A whole country has just few major city; Abuja, Lagos, Portharcout, Kano etc..... Just these hand few. This is so wrong... By now we should have several cities housing several companies and known for something hence their attractions. Create access road and give citizens reasons to go there, if the job is available they will. Its pathetic that our government is more concerned abt money.... hmmmm

True. Even another African country like South Africa has been doing a lot developing other cities.
Typically, a government should think of the nation and its citizens first, create cities and stimulate favorable migration. Rather, you have a country where the government is better concerned with sharing the nation's wealth into private pockets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by oduastates: 12:20pm On Sep 13, 2015
Overrated
Over populated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Oooops: 12:21pm On Sep 13, 2015
oduastates:
Overrated Over populated.
Overrated tongue
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by seunny4lif(m): 12:28pm On Sep 13, 2015
I dey come.... grin
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Ugomba(m): 12:31pm On Sep 13, 2015
Lagos is overpopulated and badly planned.. FG should take some part of Ogun state land and hand it over to Lagos govt for the expansion of Eko city.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 13, 2015
Only people who have never visited Lagos over rate it. Lagos is 30% developed places n 70% slum
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Oooops: 1:38pm On Sep 13, 2015
Ugomba:
Lagos is overpopulated and badly planned.. FG should take some part of Ogun state land and hand it over to Lagos govt for the expansion of Eko city.
And you think Ogun would allow that to happen
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Oooops: 1:39pm On Sep 13, 2015
chuna1985:
Only people who have never visited Lagos over rate it. Lagos is 30% developed places n 70% slum
You're right. No plan for that city... Its just like as the city keeps developing we keep planning style. No foresight nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by jimi4us: 1:40pm On Sep 13, 2015
city of stress for the poor yolobas who are lazy as usual
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by vicadex07(m): 2:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
jimi4us:
city of stress for the poor yolobas who are lazy as usual

I was actually watching out for people like you. Even though the post was an open insult to Yorubas, the Yorubas that responded never insulted nor bashed anybody.

You people are evil and pathetic, that's why you're always hated and massacred in millions anywhere you're found across the world.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Nobody: 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2015
Given the situation in Lagos, its still surprising that Tinubu is not spending sometime in jail as we speak

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by KevinDein: 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
Lagos is overrated, overpopulated... that city is synonymous to stress.
everything in Lagos is just plain stressful. things folks in other parts of the country take for granted lagosians pay over the roof for.
I always maintain that lagosians have the worst standard of living in the country. that place stinks too.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by jimi4us: 4:16pm On Sep 13, 2015
vicadex07:

I was actually watching out for people like you. Even though the post was an open insult to Yorubas, the Yorubas that responded never insulted nor bashed anybody.

You people are evil and pathetic, that's why you're always hated and massacred in millions anywhere you're found across the world.
e pain you shey??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by mikolo80: 5:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
Oooops:

whatchu go'n do 'bout it.....all of you put together,. . nothing.... not a damn thing. . KevinDein
chuna1985
jimi4us (yet una run come our side, you see as you mumu)
Oooops
Antoinne
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by ERockson: 5:44pm On Sep 13, 2015
Lagos is badly overpopulated because some intruders see lagos as abroad. Lagos is suffering and smiling city where people want to be lagosian by fire by force
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2015
mikolo80:
whatchu go'n do 'bout it.....all of you put together,. . nothing.... not a damn thing. . KevinDein
chuna1985
jimi4us (yet una run come our side, you see as you mumu)
Oooops
Antoinne

Meaningless.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by phantom(m): 5:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Nope... Its actually 10%-90%
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by phantom(m): 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2015
if not for the "Job opportunies" and huge market ,no sane person will prefer to live in Lagos.
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2015
phantom:

Nope... Its actually 10%-90%

Loma. Thanks Bro.
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by AnambraDota: 6:16pm On Sep 13, 2015
undecided
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by mikolo80: 6:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
chuna1985:

Meaningless.
like I said.... not a doggone thing. SMH for my nation if you are supposed to be the leaders of yesterday
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by ednut1(m): 6:22pm On Sep 13, 2015
the most expensive slum in the world is lagos. highbrow places like VI and Lekki don't even have basic drainage system smh
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by DMerciful(m): 6:35pm On Sep 13, 2015
Back to Lagos....back to Bedlam
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by ideology(m): 6:46pm On Sep 13, 2015
Oooops:
This is a personal opinion and not a meal for tribal bigots to feed on.
I have reasons to always travel down to Lagos for one thing or another. My most recent trip was last weekend. Looking at the streets in Lagos, i thought to myself, Lagos is overrated. Went through Apapa and the number of Okada on that road is more than the number of human staying there. Hundreds of trailers are packed on the already bad roads making it not motorable. Its was so bad. I spoke with one of the trailer drivers, he said there is no other provisions made for them to park by the government even with their relevance to the Port located there.
I went through Bariga, the humans on the road would soon start lapping each other just to enable them walk. People were packed like sarden.
I went to several other places, Agege, Amhadiya, Ojuelegba etc
MY THOUGHTS: These acts made me think deeply. Very soon Lagos is going to be so packed that people will start struggling literarily.
Why? 70% of the Jobs in Nigeria are in Lagos. Looking into vacancies, all you see is Lagos. It makes me wonder if we don't have government with sense?
The ideal thing a government should be focused on is developing other cities. Move some offices, agencies, companies and government bodies to other cities. This will help develop other cities and decongest Lagos. Our government as a matter of responsibility should have future plans as daily people keep migrating to Lagos all because of jobs and greener pastures. Read of the Niger deltans protesting of the proposed plan to site their oil ish in Lagos again!!!
I think Lagos is overrated all because if the lack of planning by the government... and with the way things are going, its effect would be of no small consequences...
Positive critism is welcomed!

Lol, hahaha, i no fit laugh, the solution is simple develop ports in other states so that companies will relocate and spread employment across other states. But tribalism and politics will not allow that to work, if new ports open up in other states, Lagos state IGR will drop drastically and that is the fear of many Westerners who believe Lagos is their.

Lagos is the pride of an average Yoruba man

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by ideology(m): 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
ednut1:
the most expensive slum in the world is lagos. highbrow places like VI and Lekki don't even have basic drainage system smh

Basic Infrastructure is poor.

Most roads are not smooth, gallops and cracked pavements, drainage is worst, imagine state government building gutters with moulded blocks, yuck!! i detest seeing that.

Air pollution terrible, when I traveled home during easter, see fresh air where I breathe, chooi

I won't love my family to be here at all, ph city is better
Re: Opinion: Lagos An "Overrated" City by wirinet(m): 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2015
I would not say Lagos is overrated, i would say it is over populated, over crowded and under planned. It is the only mega city (city with a population above 10million ) in the world without an organized mass transportation system, ie trains.

The problem of lagos is a reflection of the problem of Nigeria. A good railway system will relieve the population problem of Lagos and help develop other town and villages.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Gone Deaf! See Omenka Calling Barcanister (PIX) / Jonathan Using Avengers To Destabilise Buhari Govt — MEND / Abbah Kyari Becomes The Youngest Assistant Commissioner Of Police In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.