Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? (1830 Views)

Code-switching And Code Mixing In Contemporary Nigerian Hip-hop Music / Talent Or Noise? Destiny Boy Or Basil Hope (GCGT Finalist)? / New Hip-hop Music By A Nairalander Titled "KUTI" (die Hard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by Dekatron(m): 8:33pm On Sep 13, 2015
Okay. Note :- This article is MY observation.

I was charging my phone at a barbers place since there was no power today. That is un usual though. So, I am here charging and as the custom of young tuush barbers, the home theater was blasting bass! This, you would agree is good, but could become boring when its all you hear.

I remember around 2011-2013, as a young SSS student, the third best overall in EVERGREEN HIGH SCHOOL, the second in Science Department (just a lil slack in math THEN) & later became the Assistant Senior Prefect/ Assistant Head boy, you will agree I read and am kinda quiet. I ALWAYS HAD MY EARPIECE IN MY NOKIA C1, BLASTING OLAMIDE'S YBNL album, tracks like YOUNG ERIKINA, ETIRI NKA KAN etc, Kida Kudz :- ABEG O.

When Phyno still raps on English :- MULTIPLY, then Remix of Multiply ft MI, TIMAYA. . Forgotten others. Trust me, phyno of then raps in ENGLISH.
You will believe I really listened to Nigerian Hip Hop. My sister banned me for some time self.

Fast forward to late 2013,2014 & now 2015, I am now more older, more free and now an Engineering student (now in 200L). I still carry my earpiece everywhere .

I noticed, Nigerian music, WHAT DO THEY REALLY SING? Songs like ENI DURO, GHOST MODE were great. I still have them. Today, the olamide that wasted songs in ENI DURO is now singing ROBO SKEH SKEH SKEH ROBO, BADOO SNEH. Now, all I hear is beats and noise. Patoranking the new comer, in 2013, sang ALUBARIKA. He sang HAPPY DAY in 2014.

Since last year, I got bored of Nigerian songs & turned to American. I chose Rick Ross cos of his voice & choice of words. First, my first downloaded foreign song was :- Dj Khaled - All I do is win ft Rick Ross, Snoop Dogg ( now Lion). As a voracious music listener, I have listened to over 150 foreign songs so far. I COMPARED IT TO NIGERIAN SONGS & NOTICED ALL OUR SINGERS (NO REAL RAPPER IN NIGERIA AGAIN) DO IS SING. As you may not like, am sorry to announce that EVEN M.I has lost it. He lives on past glory. The M.I of SOMEBODY WANNA DIE is not the M.I of SHEKPE ft REMINISCE. Don't get me wrong, but it was my observation.

I have been hearing about a song :- Patoranking - My woman My everything. I thought it would be cool like HAPPY DAY. I thought he would really sing emotional yet interesting song like NO LOVE remix (AUGUST ALSINA ft NICKI MINAJ), alas!! I just heard the intro and felt bad. It was dry, lyricless dumb "my woman. . . My everything. . . I wll buy u " shiit!! In INTRO nt even Hook!! How wll hook be then?

All you get in Nigerian hip hop is BEAT. KPA KPA KPA PPOM, POO PIN PON PON PON KRA KAKAKA CHI!! All those unnecessary noise. I am a RAP LOVER. I cant listen to a rapper rapping to a SONG BEAT. There is difference between rapping and singing.

A study case :- Psquare ft T.I. It was boring - I.mean T.I's lines. Listen to his paper works album, track YOU CAN TELL HOW I WALK ft Rozzay (lol grin ), and tell me the difference. Its as wide as the sueze canal!! Psquare was singing & the beat was too boring nt even fast cos Rick Ross and Jay Z rapped to LAY UP remix ft Trey Songz and the beat was FAST!

I love these songs :- EFEJOKU by Lil kesh & Indomie ft Olamide, CDQ by MasterKraft. Why? all I need is the beat!! I swear I have NEVER thought about the lyrics. Still, you will NEVER SEE THEM on my playlist. I wll dance to them when am In a good mood and thats it. I can NEVER download Nigerian 2013-2015 songs. Though not all 2013, but MOST. but 2015, ALL!! Our artistes need to step up. From music videos to singles. Imagine using smoke in open at daylight un a music video. Does that make sense?

To everybody, is our Hip-Hop all noise? Please contribute.

As for me, i'd prefer to download Rock music than Nigerian songs.

Over to you all
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by johnydon22(m): 8:48pm On Sep 13, 2015
Complete noise, not only nigerian hip hop.
Talk about music you talk about Country, Old blues, Celtic
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by Kofohbobo: 8:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
ok sing ur own
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by makingsense(m): 8:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
Op this your article long oo..

I choose Noise. But I prefer it to any other kind of music
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by jamex93(m): 9:02pm On Sep 13, 2015
I still prefer nig music
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 13, 2015
That's why I do soft-rock.
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 13, 2015
Op I understand your point of view but then you also have a lot of "i don't know what words to use" but you don't just sound perfect.

Plus this post was suppose to condemn rappers not praise your self. ( U know what I mean)

Ok. I was also in high school when I listened to illegal music 2 (which is the best rap mixtape in africa ever) that was in 2012, I loved MI after that mixtape (still love him tho) I took him as the best rapper in nigeria, I bought and own all MI abulms and downloaded all his mixtapes and any song I see MI on! Whether he owns it or he is featured, and I still do that. As a rapper that I am, MI has been my most inspiring rapper in the world, but I was disappointed with 'MI III The Chairman" it sounded no where near 'MI 1 Talk About It' and 'MI 2 The Movie' unlike his previous albums which I liked every single track on the album, I liked just few song on his last album, Bad Belle, Millionaire Champagne, yours, Monkey, and maybe Rich, but every other song he released within the last year that did not make the album, I like them, like "back to the future ft Milli". It shows MI could still make good Hip-Hop but some how, he is trying to please everybody, which is not possible, and MI won't change probably, because there is no competition!!! Even if MI turns totally whack, no rapper in nigeria does better Hip-hop than him, so I don't really blame him, I blame the society of Rappers in nigeria. Unlike SA(which I've switched to since 2013) (and Cassper Nyovest my best rapper in africa!!) The competition is tight! Nigeria might have the best rappers but SA rappers make what I call Hip-Hop! Listen to star dust, no sleep remix, no ordinary being, I hope you bought it, Ghetto, run jozi, amantobanze, doc shebelaza, phumakim, Tslib, sim dope, congratulations, to name a few! Theses are hip-hop song nigeria rappers are too dumb to come up with!, you only see songs like this in nigeria once in a blue moon, that's why in any africa awards, I would vote for a south african rapper, ten thousand times b4 a nigerian rapper! And if I ever become big, I would like to operate in that country than nigeria ( like emmy gee is doing, and I love him too). The most annoying part is, the club dance hall songs, they are doing now, they still don't do it better than south africans, not afro beat, not r&b, nothing!!! So I wonder what nigerian artists do!!

I not just a fan of hip-hop alone, if you make. Good music on whatever genre you use, it would make a lot of sense, let rappers leave afro beat to afro beats artist, no matter how they try, they won't produce a bigger hit than wizkid or davido, so face Hip-hop squarely!!! Where it is actually possible to produce a bigger Hit!! Common sense!

But its not only hip-hop
Chindima is the new noise queen! On whatever music she does! Afro beat is not that bad, that if every songs sounds like "tim grofrey - amen ft skales"

I'm so annoyed with nigerian rappers, I've said a lot than I actually wanted to, or in the manner I ment. When I come up, I already have a song in mind for them calling them all out!

Some 9ja hip-hop still manage make sense sha

Hotyce - kilofoshi
Ill bliss - chukwu agonzi go gi
And others

I listen to foreign songs from day 1 ( all hail king Kendrick!!)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 13, 2015
The summary of every pain I wrote up there ^^ is, its true nigerian rappers (including MI) no longer makes hip hop, that is why I'm now more of a south african hip-hop music person! And is so sad.

S/O to Cassper Nyvost!!
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by Dekatron01(m): 2:14am On Sep 14, 2015
Lol @ johnydon22. Its still dekatron

you see, when you listen to some raps, you feel what they mean, you feel the rapper's feelings, struggles.

Example :- Rich forever - Rick Ross ft John legend. He talked about some things that are like personal. His struggles, and all. Yes, they use F words, but its to drive home some points. Look beyond the F words & u wll get what they are talking abt.

When I was failing at sch, I listened to HUSTLE HARD remix , Ace Hood ft Rick Ross, Lil Wayne. It boosted and encouraged me.

Country music :- I listened to Jim Reeves once or twice
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by jrerico1(m): 7:09am On Sep 14, 2015
runzlord:
Op I understand your point of view but then you also have a lot of "i don't know what words to use" but you don't just sound perfect.

Plus this post was suppose to condemn rappers not praise your self. ( U know what I mean)

Ok. I was also in high school when I listened to illegal music 2 (which is the best rap mixtape in africa ever) that was in 2012, I loved MI after that mixtape (still love him tho) I took him as the best rapper in nigeria, I bought and own all MI abulms and downloaded all his mixtapes and any song I see MI on! Whether he owns it or he is featured, and I still do that. As a rapper that I am, MI has been my most inspiring rapper in the world, but I was disappointed with 'MI III The Chairman" it sounded no where near 'MI 1 Talk About It' and 'MI 2 The Movie' unlike his previous albums which I liked every single track on the album, I liked just few song on his last album, Bad Belle, Millionaire Champagne, yours, Monkey, and maybe Rich, but every other song he released within the last year that did not make the album, I like them, like "back to the future ft Milli". It shows MI could still make good Hip-Hop but some how, he is trying to please everybody, which is not possible, and MI won't change probably, because there is no competition!!! Even if MI turns totally whack, no rapper in nigeria does better Hip-hop than him, so I don't really blame him, I blame the society of Rappers in nigeria. Unlike SA(which I've switched to since 2013) (and Cassper Nyovest my best rapper in africa!!) The competition is tight! Nigeria might have the best rappers but SA rappers make what I call Hip-Hop! Listen to star dust, no sleep remix, no ordinary being, I hope you bought it, Ghetto, run jozi, amantobanze, doc shebelaza, phumakim, Tslib, sim dope, congratulations, to name a few! Theses are hip-hop song nigeria rappers are too dumb to come up with!, you only see songs like this in nigeria once in a blue moon, that's why in any africa awards, I would vote for a south african rapper, ten thousand times b4 a nigerian rapper! And if I ever become big, I would like to operate in that country than nigeria ( like emmy gee is doing, and I love him too). The most annoying part is, the club dance hall songs, they are doing now, they still don't do it better than south africans, not afro beat, not r&b, nothing!!! So I wonder what nigerian artists do!!

I not just a fan of hip-hop alone, if you make. Good music on whatever genre you use, it would make a lot of sense, let rappers leave afro beat to afro beats artist, no matter how they try, they won't produce a bigger hit than wizkid or davido, so face Hip-hop squarely!!! Where it is actually possible to produce a bigger Hit!! Common sense!

But its not only hip-hop
Chindima is the new noise queen! On whatever music she does! Afro beat is not that bad, that if every songs sounds like "tim grofrey - amen ft skales"

I'm so annoyed with nigerian rappers, I've said a lot than I actually wanted to, or in the manner I ment. When I come up, I already have a song in mind for them calling them all out!

Some 9ja hip-hop still manage make sense sha

Hotyce - kilofoshi
Ill bliss - chukwu agonzi go gi
And others

I listen to foreign songs from day 1 ( all hail king Kendrick!!)
Good write up, M.I is still the lord, when I look back at some of his early singles I ponder.
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by kevoh(m): 7:26am On Sep 14, 2015
Noise all through. Little wonder my Nigerian music playlist has not changed much for years. I just transfer them from one smart device to another and people keep wondering why I still have older songs. Quality over quantity noise.
Re: Nigerian Hip-hop :- Music Or Noise? by PHDofie(m): 9:38pm On Apr 28, 2018
Bro please don't give up on Nigerian hip hop just yet. Am actually begging cos I liked your article. What you said is true,there's a very big gap between American hip hop and Nigerian hip hop. Worst part is even SA hip hop has given us gap.
But bro please just listen to these tracks and clear your doubt. I swear if you don't like 'em I'll return your MB. I expect a feedback tho.
www.calitunes.com/track/6479
www.calitunes.com/track/6742

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Is Making Waves In X-factor Bulgaria [VIDEO] / AUDIO + VIDEO: Mayunga Ft. Akon – Please Don’t Go Away / Audio Download: Falz - Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.