Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer (1395 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Blasts Femi Fani-Kayode: "You Need Clinical Examinations" / Blame Yourselves, Not DSS, Falana Tells NBA / “the Issues Of Biafra Was Settled In 1970″ – ACF Blasts Ndigbo Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 13, 2015
…Says APC’ll take over S/East in 2019

FROM CHIDI NNADI, ENUGU

For a long time, Governor Ro­chas Okorocha of Imo State has withdrawn from grant­ing interviews even when criticisms against him and his government were rising by the day.

For the governor, his preoccupation with his rescue mission agenda was more important to him than joining in verbal wars over jaundiced attacks from his political enemies who he said do not see anything good in his admin­istration.

But last week, Sunday Sun was able to corner the governor in an interview that lasted for over 2 hours before he left for Turkey with some Imo entre­preneurs on a business trip.

It was a moment of frank talk by the governor who will turn 53 years on September 22 as he looked at Imo State, his foray into other political par­ties, why he left the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to join the All Progressives Congress (APC), why he stopped attending meetings of South-east governors and why workers in the state embarked on strike.

Okorocha also looked at the recent appointments by President Muham­madu Buhari into key positions in his government which the Igbo were not represented, saying that he shares in the sentiment of the Igbo crying out, but as­sured that Buhari would use other ways to compensate the Igbo.

He blamed Igbo leaders for the woes of the people, saying that he was the only one crying then and nobody lis­tened to him. Excerpt:

Your Excellency, you will be 53 years this month, how has life been with you?

Life has been okay, I think God has been merciful and I have every reason to glorify God Almighty for giving me the life to continue to contribute my little quota to the services of humanity. So, on the 22nd of September I will be 53 and when I look back to two years ago and where I am now, I am very happy. I am grateful to God Almighty for giving me the life, strength and the wisdom to continue to do what I am doing towards serving humanity. I look around and see whether there is any aspect of my life that needs improve­ment or changes, whether there is any­where I have to do more. At every time I make analysis, I am drawn towards my charity work, towards helping the downtrodden, the poorest of the poor and trying to create the atmosphere of peace around my state, my country and above all, making out time to glorify God Almighty. I think this is basically what I would say my 53 years of life have been.

We can see that you like char­ity work a lot, what informed your decision to go into philan­thropy?

Actually, it has become part of my life, that’s one of the things I enjoy do­ing most, because for me, it is an oppor­tunity to give back to the world. It helps me to understand life better and it’s a way of appreciating God Almighty for the great things he has done for me in life. So, what I would say that prompted me, having been one that had had such an experience before, I swore to fight poverty, I swore to fight ignorance and I swore to fight injustice. So, these are the three things that I hate most in my life. And when I see people go through them, it is a transferred agony to me. When I see children that are not able to go to school, I say to myself, what if these happen to be my children? Or if hundred years later, my children are going through this, what would life look like? So, that transferred agony makes me to do what I am doing. I hate injustice, I hate people being mal­treated because they are helpless. It also instigates me to fight injustice. So, basically my hate for ignorance, pov­erty and injustice prompted me to go into the world of charity and again to appreciate God for His goodness.

In 2011 when you became the governor of Imo State, what was the Imo you met, how was the state like?

The Imo State that I met was a state that was more or less an undeveloped village if you like, especially the city of Owerri. Why I said so is because the Imo State I met was an Imo State of god-fatherism. I met an Imo State that lacked basic infrastructure. I met an Imo State that was disconnected from development. I met an Imo State of primitive accumulation of wealth where those who had the opportunity only think about themselves and not those outside the circle of governance. I met an Imo State where only those in power become the masters and those who are not in power are treated like slaves. I met an Imo State where oppo­nents will not tolerate their opponents. So, this depicted the picture of the Imo State that I saw. But the most hurting one was the shanties I saw around in the name of the Imo State Government House. The basic infrastructure were not there, traffic congestion when it is not necessary and most people did not even want to come to the state to do business. The poverty rate then was quite high by the United Nations pro­visions and World Bank’s. So, I saw a big challenge and I had to tackle it head-on.

Probably what you saw in­formed your decision to evolve your Rescue Mission agenda, so four years down the line, how has the Rescue Mission been?

I might have to look at Imo State from the different perceptive and sec­tors of the economy; that is the best way to describe what the Rescue Mis­sion has done. Starting with the seat of government itself, the Government House; the Government House was literally full of shame, even the gov­ernor’s house. The Exco chamber, the offices around, some of them were with bare floors, no tiles. And the roofs there were the roofs of the days of Lord Lugard. And I wondered if this could be called a seat of government. When I came in here, I changed the entire landscape, the entire constructions; we reconstructed almost 80 per cent of them, including the Government House and the infrastructure. Take for instance; we built a new Exco chamber which I called Ndubuisi Kanu, giving credit to the man who made his mark as a military administrator here in Imo State. Then I built an expanded Exco chamber, which I called Dee Sam Mbakwe. We built a new banquet hall which is called Mix Banquet Hall. We remodeled the governor’s house en­tirely; then building a new governor’s lodge we tried to replicate the original Douglas House by getting the original architectural design, the wooden build­ing; we brought it back as a tourist at­traction for the people. The entire road network has been rebuilt. So, as you can see if you come to the Government House, there is fresh air, so that people can come in here and do business. That is on the area of the Government House itself. When I came in here, the First Lady and the deputy governor were operating from a three-bedroom bungalow. Now, I went and built an edifice for the office of the deputy governor and the First Lady which I  called the twin house, which is standing there on three floors. Now, in Imo State there was no single guest house for visitors who come to Imo State and the government hotel, Imo Concord has been run down. So what I did was to build Odenigbo Guest House, comprising 10-number mini-duplexes. This has helped us receive our guests without having to spend so much billions of naira hotel bills for government. So, if you see these projects, they are all there for anyone to see un­disputable. Then another thing I realized is that a whole Government House, there was no place for workers in the Government House to at least say their prayers. And when you come to Imo State, there is nothing to tell you which religion they practice in the Government House. I had to build the Victory Chapel and to the glory of God, that is one project I love so much. I made it compulsory and I appeal to my people that every 12 O’clock, all government activities must stop for us to go and worship God. We call it midday prayer. And no one can do anything else under this 10 minutes, we say give God 10 minutes in every day of your life and it is working. It is getting people closer to God and in fear of God; people are beginning to shun evil because when they come face to face with God or when they come to worship God in the chapel, there is a certain relief and new order of behavior in them. So, the Government House Chapel is there standing to the glory of God. But of interest is when we talk about infrastructure. When I came in the traffic situation in Imo State was bad to the extent that for those coming from Concord area to the Government House, it takes them about one hour, a distance of less than five minutes. So, what I did was to create so many roundabouts and so many internal roads.

So, today we have the first inland roads, second inland roads, third inland roads and we are build­ing another fourth and fifth inland roads. Now, we have the Akachi road that takes you straight to the airport. Now it takes you less than 25 min­utes to go to the airport unlike before when it will take you up to one hour. We have the Aba road to Naze road dualized. The Akachi road itself is dualized. We have the Ochie Dike road dualized. Then we took a new major road from Warehouse roundabout to Emmanuel College which we called Freedom road. These are all virgin roads. And in these roads, there is no more traffic. Then at Amakohia where you always have traffic jam, we opened up the road, built a roundabout and that has helped to reduce the traffic. Now, we opened a new road along Concord road where we are advocating a complete new layout, where a lot of infrastructure and buildings are going on now. We have built a lot of roads there; we called it Concord Owerri New Layout, thereby making traffic near zero in Imo State and the capital city of Owerri. So, we have opened up so many roads now. We have so many waterfalls, so many mon­umental roundabouts, things that bring and add to the beauty of a state. And you see people who act movies coming to Imo State now to use any of these beautiful sites. So a lot of things have been attracted to Imo State because of infrastructural development.

Of importance, could you believe that since the creation of Imo State we don’t have a single hall, a place of gathering that can take at least 1,000 persons. We go to hotels. And there is no bank that can have their annual conference in Imo State, no big corporation or something. So, with that we tried to build the first Imo International Confer­ence Centre. This centre has a capacity for about 5,000 persons with an adjoining lounge. Now, this centre has helped us to host the Nigerian Bar As­sociation and so many other major associations that come in their thousands. And in the next cou­ple of months we will be hosting the Federation of Civil Servants Sports. You now see that with these economic activities in the state have grown higher. And we have also built a new Accountant- General’s office, the headquarters of the Accoun­tant-General’s office. We built another Secretary to the Government’s cabinet office which is the first time we are having such in Imo State. So along this area we have a lot of infrastructural development. We also decided to go into build­ing a place that can be used in holding big rallies and big conventions. We copied what is similar to the Eagle’s Square in Abuja. Here in Imo we have the Hero’s Square that takes about 10,000 people. So, facilities are available for all kinds of semi­nars, rallies, church activities and what have you. Still on infrastructure, there is the Ikemba Ojukwu Centre, we tried to honour Ikemba Ojukwu. It is a centre of renaissance for Ndigbo. There we have a multi-purpose hall, we have office complexes and we have the Hero’s villa, a presidential guest house again that allows only for those who have excelled in the society as a mark of honour. These structures we have put in place are all functional.

So, you see that Imo has a lot of infrastruc­tural development. And in addition, we rebuilt the commissioner’s quarters which was left for us by the military. We rebuilt the whole place. So, all our commissioners are properly seated to do busi­ness rather than to stay in hotels or their private residences. We now have what is called Concord Glow Apartment comprising 220 apartments. This is perhaps the most expensive apartments we have in Imo State under BOT. Now, the Concord Hotel which is the legacy of Mbakwe was left to rot with rats and everything. Now, it is a five star hotel and let me be boisterous about that, I don’t think there is any other hotel East of the Niger that is as beautiful as Concord Hotel now. Still in the area of infrastructure, we are building the Judi­ciary headquarters, which is called Justice Oputa Complex so that our judicial members that are staying in bungalows can move to a more befit­ting complex. We are building a 1,000 apartment on 18 floors, 10 units of them on 18 floors. We are trying to create a new dawn for Imo State.

That project as I speak to you right now is on­going. And upon completion government will sell these houses and make returns to its coffers. It is a way of creating housing programmes for our people. So, if you look at that you will see that at the level of infrastructure we have done a lot. If you go to Orlu, it is now like a complete new city. Orlu was like a village when I came. If you go there now, all the roads in Orlu have been dualized and the place is looking like a modern city com­peting with Owerri. The same thing is applicable to Okigwe which is now made a new city. We have created Amaraku new city, we have created Anara new city, we have created Umuaka new city. There are so many new cities we are creat­ing within Imo State all within this period of four years. Even some of the major projects, which are Federal Government projects we have embarked on like the dualization of 59km road from here to Akokwa. That project is almost 60 per cent completed and before next year, we will have a dualized road from Owerri to Akokwa. And we are dualizing from Owerri to Okigwe. We have started with Anara and Amaraku. When these are put together, Imo State will become a one-city state. So, my dream to make Imo State a one- city state, it’s almost being achieved

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by chimoskyg(m): 9:33pm On Sep 13, 2015
I don't like this guy

6 Likes

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by OZAOEKPE(f): 9:35pm On Sep 13, 2015
"okorocha needs help, he's behaving like a m a d cow". Quote me anywhere.

6 Likes

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 13, 2015
You have said much about infrastruc­tural development, what about human development because the other time I learnt that Imo workers went on strike?

Well, the strike by Imo workers was really un­called for and was highly politically motivated. I will tell you why I say it is politically motivated. Four years since inception of office I know what I have done for the workers of Imo State. When I came in, the workers of Imo State were owed three months arrears of salary. I paid them off the three months across board. Secondly, when the issue came up about minimum wage, the Fed­eral Government pegged it at N18,000. Imo State was the only state that pays N20,000 minimum wage. Now, take for instance, those in the health sector, a level nine officer in Imo State gets about N393,000 a month while his colleague in the neighbouring Southeastern states and South-south states get only about N130,000 to N150,000, al­most 100 per cent more than what they collect.

So, I pay the best salary in Imo State. For the four years, there was no day there was a strike in Imo State because workers were paid on the 22nd of every month, for good four years non-stop. Now, we came and inherited 12 years of pension arrears. We cleared the 12 years of pension ar­rears. Now, every Christmas, we give the work­ers bonuses. Some per cent of their salaries are paid to them as Christmas bonus which has never happened in the history of Imo State. In addition to that, their dress code, people try to dramatize poverty for civil servants. I said no, we can’t go that way. We introduced a dress code and today all Imo teachers and civil servants wear black suit with red tie and white shirts; you can hardly differ­entiate them from the bank managers. Now, their secretariat was renovated and computerized. Now, you wonder, what has gone wrong within when I came in for second tenure and the three months. Because most of the labour unions come from one particular section of the state that has sympathy for the PDP.

So, it is politically motivated. That was what happened. And I felt very bad about it that the la­bour union has not treated the state right. And they wrote agreement, we had an MoU then, agreement that clearly spells out what to do and what not to do. They reneged on all the agreements. And it is public knowledge that within the last four or six months, oil price went down and most of the states could not afford to pay salaries. And most states whose teachers are being owed 12 or 13 months, none of them went on strike. Why should Imo State workers go on strike because of two months of salary? Why should teachers who are owed only one month go on strike? And we never owed any teacher one month, civil servants two months. So, that is why I said it was politically motivated because there was no justified reason for it. In fact, it was when they went on strike that I decided to reduce their salary to start infrastructural develop­ment, to start building the two-road flyovers we are building now in Amakohia and Okigwe. We are building new flyovers in Imo State. And I told them that I am going to use their salaries, I won’t pay you again. That was what happened. But now I think they have come back to their senses, they have understood the mistake they have made and I appeal that they don’t make such mistakes again. Because there was no reason, trying to in­dict a governor that has shown love. And because of that, we have decided to go back to the original things others are paying, so I have resolved that I will not pay one naira better than any other state in the country. I have to pay the real salary others are paying.

Are you stepping down from your own minimum wage?

We are stepping down but not on the pegged minimum wage, there are excess charges that we are taking. Like now we realized that for some of the health workers, we are paying rural allow­ances. Owerri can’t be a rural area, Orlu can’t be a rural area, same with Okigwe. They pay them rural allowance every month up to 20-something million. To couple with the money they have taken, it is more than N1 billion in four years. So, we should bear the pain; that was a false payment. Some carry cash and pay themselves, some build up salaries that are not there and pay ghost work­ers. So, I need to restructure the entire civil service in Imo State.

Let us come to this innovation you brought into governance, the fourth tier system, the CGC you have in Imo State. How is it running or have you abandoned it?

CGC (Community Government Council) is perhaps the best thing that has happened to Imo State Government in the past four years and might be the only way out for the rest of African nation. From the colonial arrangement, whether anyone believes it or not, even democracy is part of the colonial arrangement. In our government, we have three tiers of government – the local, state and federal government. These tiers are all in the creation of our constitution. I have no prob­lem with that. But you will agree with me that, a typical Nigerian, in his way of thinking, does not believe that the Federal Government exists nor that the state government exists. Neither does he believe that the local government exists. But he believes that communities exist, where he has a proper stake, where he has a point of order.

So, the community government is a fourth tier of government, not on the constitutional ba­sis, that will give everybody in the community a sense of belonging that he will contribute to the development of yourself and your community. And that has worked like a miracle. With this ar­rangement now, agriculture has received a new lease in the state. Community government helps us to tackle the issue of security and kidnapping in the state more than anything else. If we catch any kidnapper in your community we will hold you responsible. So, everybody stopped and shunned kidnapping. We pay pensioners through the com­munity government. So, pensioners of 10,000 do not have to come to Owerri city to collect their money, they stay there in their home and collect it. And we are now having a new city master plan, community master plan, local government mas­ter plan, state master plan for the future, not even for today. So, you see that the government has really touched the lives of people. And with this you have jobs, factories, industries which I have promised the people of Imo State. I have declared now, one community, one industry. No, matter how small it is, they must learn to do things by themselves. So, the community government for me is very effective. It is helping the people to realize that they are a government. They are no longer on-lookers, they are now participants in the governance process.

I am interested in this your job, job, job, factory, factory slogan; three months is  gone, at what stage is it across the state?

Right now the awareness is high. The investors are coming here, troop­ing in everyday. We are on our way to Turkey now to talk with some of the in­vestors. Over 100 of the Imo industri­alists will be going to Turkey to go and meet their partners and start bringing those things there. Whatever we con­sume, we have the right to produce it here. That is what I am saying. And we have built the Imo International Trade and Investment Centre formally called Ahiajoku Centre. We changed that and remodeled it. And this is where we are going to be having international exhi­bitions. By November, the Turkish are coming here for exhibition. We are in­viting Italians to come here for exhibi­tion. So, many nations will come.

And let them look at these things that we have produced, these cassava, vegetables, what can they do for us to add value to them? That is the begin­ning. So, the industries and jobs are agro-based. And in line with that we have what we call the Imo College of Advanced Professional Studies. This college which we have built is to pro­vide basic training in preparation for the industrial take-off. Taking courses that are related to production is what we do there, like underground water, welding, computer and so many of such courses that can help people to fend for themselves. Now, on the job, job, job also, we have been able to re-establish the Avutu Poultry that has been abandoned for over 30 years. Now life has come back to the place in a small scale. And in the next one year we are going to make it upper scale. And it is capable of producing one million eggs per day when fully operational. Now, the Imo Palm Plan­tation, Adapalm which was left to rot for 30 years; now has received a new lease of life.

These are part of the job, job, job we are doing. The Shoe industry has kicked off. Now, even the sold facto­ries built by the previous administra­tions, the Resin Paint in Mbaise and the Paper Package industry at Owerri- Ebeiri, government has gone back to repurchase them, after false chains of sales because it was sold to a company who sold it to another company who couldn’t pay and AMCON took over. So, we have gone back to AMCON to repurchase these two industries. So, truly the place is agog for the indus­trial take off. We are going to start with small scale industries, fish farming, snail farming, cassava; these are all what we are doing now for the job, job, job and it is working and doing well.

Recently, President Buhari made some key appointments, the so-called kitchen cabinets, where no Igbo got a slot. And before then, it was hoped that one of the persons in APC, a prominent Igbo son, would have been appointed into the office of SGF. And you came out to defend that appointment saying that what the Igbo need is development. Do you think the Igbo have not been shut out from the core area of the cabi­net at the federal level?

Let me say to you, I share in what I call the sentiments of the Igbo. Hav­ing to look at the list of the appointees and they have not seen a face that looks like one of them from the South-east, I share the same sentiment. My state­ment was that the appointments made by President Buhari first, he made those appointments under his con­stitutional power and right. Number two, those are his personal staff. When he appointed the service chiefs, even three of the service chiefs are from one particular zone, the North-east. It is common sense that since the problem is there, let’s use the locals to solve the problem of the locals. There is more commitment to saving your own than anyone else.

So, there is nothing wrong with the appointments. Now, chief of Staff, secretary to the government and press secretary are too personal, they are the people you meet every day; they are like your wife you have to be with ev­ery morning. So if you bring somebody that you don’t know too well, even for me here as a governor, you have to meet with persons you must have worked with before and know that they have something to offer. They can understand when you turn your eyes to give them signal. These are some of the things put into consideration when you are appointing personal staff. So, those ones are too personal. So, I don’t think Buhari will make appointments any further, ministerial appointments, board appointments and all that and an Igbo man will not be there, it is not possible.

The Igbo will get their share. And some of the appointments we lost were of the doings of our people. When I was crying like a lonely voice in the wilderness that look at where Nigeria was going none of these leaders heard me. Igbo decided to put their eggs in one basket. After all that cry, they didn’t hear me. That is why today we don’t have a Senate president. Our son today would have been the Senate president if they didn’t do the evil they did in Orlu or in the South-east by our leaders. They made us lost the Senate president, the Speaker, the made us lost in all the key positions. So, I became helpless. I don’t have a Senator to make a Senate president. If I had a Senator, there was no way I wouldn’t have pro­vided for Ndigbo a Senate president. But you cannot eat your cake and have it. So, our position right now, despite the appointments Igbo will get, my ap­peal to the president, they should show presence in the South-east by building projects. That is the only way I can jus­tify telling Ndigbo to support President Buhari. After all, we had a Secretary to the Government from the South-East, so many key positions from the South-east, what single project came to Igbo land for six years of the last administra­tion? None; so what do you want more, projects or appointments? And we are telling people to go and become min­isters and SGF to bring projects. So, if that is the only reason you to have the projects, then that shouldn’t be the issue. So, that is my point before I get misunderstood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Hadone(m): 9:35pm On Sep 13, 2015
Well said
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 13, 2015
But what kind of projects do you think the president will do in the South-east again?

There are many road projects to do. We are cut off from the rest of South-south and South-east. You cannot drive safely from here to Aba neither can you drive from Aba to Ikot Ekpene. You cannot even move from here to Bayelsa who are less than one hour close to us. We are cut off. The Inyishi water dam in Ikeduru is not completed. The Imo International Cargo Airport is a political fabrication which does not reflect any practical reality. Now, the Onitsha bridge has remained a cam­paign slogan that has never been done. So, when Buhari does my Onitsha bridge, finishes my Inyishi water dam, give me international cargo airport, fix my road from Enugu to Port Harcourt, from Owerri to Aba and from Aba to Ikot Ekpene and links me up to Bay­elsa, excuse me; he can as well hold his appointments.

But some of your kinsmen are thinking differently, they believe that what they want the presi­dent to do is to implement the national conference report so that the Igbo will have an addi­tional state to level up with the zones of the federation; how would you react to that?

It is only fair and just that the Igbo in their large number should have a sixth state like any other state or we should make all states equal, everybody should have the same number of states, even seven, seven states; I am for it. But we are talking about development, not state creation. State creation is what we have all been looking for and I would love to have additional state for the South-east. We have to ask him to do that for us, even if we have to ask the president to make it an executive bill. But I am talking about develop­ment issues now. I know the creation of state could help; so I support and like it.

Your state, Imo State has plenty of prominent citizens but unfortunately most of them seem to be in the PDP; so how are you coping with them?

That is quite interesting because we share different political ideologies. All the political who-is-who in Imo State even in the South-east are all in the PDP; all of them, just check what makes the name in politics in Igbo land and that is the problem we are suffer­ing today nationally. Coping here is fine. I have no problem; I don’t heat up the polity. Even though there are a very vocal few who are able to travel to Abuja and they are being heard. And so most of the time, they criticize this government beyond reasoning. And you will be shocked to hear that what this government has achieved in the last four years, none of these people has reported one per cent of it.

Rather the news out there is that this government is not doing well, who said so? These are people that have the political voice, but you can’t hear that from the masses of Imo State. Never. And that leads me to say, though we cope well, we don’t fight, we don’t quarrel, they just abuse me and I don’t abuse them back, I say God bless them. But I challenge them and say if there is any governor, past or present, who has done 50 per cent of what I have done in Imo State let him go on paper or televi­sion to say so.

And I will mention those projects. And they will keep quiet, they have nothing to say. I brought free educa­tion; they said the free education is a ruse, a mirage, that it is not true. But to­day in Imo State there is free education from primary to university, no child pays a dime except for some charges they make which is either for their uni­form or for those in Law, whatever it is, ID card, I don’t pay for. But no child pays for school fees in Imo State.

And today, these people cannot come to you and say, well done for the free education. And their chil­dren’s children, directly or indirectly, are benefitting from them. They don’t understand how I do it with the mea­gre resources. What Imo State collects in 10 months is what Akwa Ibom and other rich states collect in one month. What Rivers collect in one month is what Imo State collects in six or seven months. In fact, it will shock you to know that what Rivers collects in one month is what the entire South-East collect in one month. So, you do these, they don’t speak any good of you. These are my political opponents. I built rural roads, there is no local gov­ernment that doesn’t have at least 15 kilometers of road. I have built more than 800 kilometers of road. Instead of saying the man has done well, they say it is China roads. Okay, if it is China roads, have you given us Ghana roads before? If it is China, manage China before American roads will come. You can’t see anything good here from my political opponents. And they bite me here, they bite me there, they do all kinds of things but I say to them God bless you.

But my challenge is that if there is any one, any governor, living, past or present, who has done 50 per cent of what I have done in four years, includ­ing all the PDP governors – Udenwa, Ohakim, all of them – all their projects put together; if they have measured up to my project, I stand to be challenged. And I say this publicly and loudly; check in the areas of health, infrastruc­ture, education, agriculture, and in ev­ery area. When I came in as the gover­nor, the poverty rate in Imo State was 60 per cent going by the World Bank record. Since I started being the gover­nor, the poverty rate now is 19 per cent. In some northern states it is 75 per cent. I am sure in the next four years it will come down totally. Doing business in Imo now has increased from 25 per cent to 85 per cent.

You then ask, what has the governor done wrong that he will not be appreci­ated even by his worst enemies? And that is why if you ask them what Ro­chas has done, they cannot tell you that Rochas has not worked. None of them could say that Rochas has not worked. Because they see it and they see that we have done what they could not do. In the area of health today, we have built one of the best diagnostic centres in Nigeria.

It was built by the Israelis. A renal centre, where people could go for their kidney treatment. And we are building 27 100-bed hospitals. That is, 2,700- bed hospitals across the whole state.

This was built by this government within four years with the little resourc­es that are coming. And still counting, we have built about 350 schools, 250 12-blocks class rooms which has never been recorded in the history of Imo State.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/fg-appointments-blame-yourselves-okorocha-blasts-ndigbo/
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Rose2014: 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
Closecall:
But what kind of projects do you think the president will do in the South-east again?

There are many road projects to do. We are cut off from the rest of South-south and South-east. You cannot drive safely from here to Aba neither can you drive from Aba to Ikot Ekpene. You cannot even move from here to Bayelsa who are less than one hour close to us. We are cut off. The Inyishi water dam in Ikeduru is not completed. The Imo International Cargo Airport is a political fabrication which does not reflect any practical reality. Now, the Onitsha bridge has remained a cam­paign slogan that has never been done. So, when Buhari does my Onitsha bridge, finishes my Inyishi water dam, give me international cargo airport, fix my road from Enugu to Port Harcourt, from Owerri to Aba and from Aba to Ikot Ekpene and links me up to Bay­elsa, excuse me; he can as well hold his appointments.

But some of your kinsmen are thinking differently, they believe that what they want the presi­dent to do is to implement the national conference report so that the Igbo will have an addi­tional state to level up with the zones of the federation; how would you react to that?

It is only fair and just that the Igbo in their large number should have a sixth state like any other state or we should make all states equal, everybody should have the same number of states, even seven, seven states; I am for it. But we are talking about development, not state creation. State creation is what we have all been looking for and I would love to have additional state for the South-east. We have to ask him to do that for us, even if we have to ask the president to make it an executive bill. But I am talking about develop­ment issues now. I know the creation of state could help; so I support and like it.

Your state, Imo State has plenty of prominent citizens but unfortunately most of them seem to be in the PDP; so how are you coping with them?

That is quite interesting because we share different political ideologies. All the political who-is-who in Imo State even in the South-east are all in the PDP; all of them, just check what makes the name in politics in Igbo land and that is the problem we are suffer­ing today nationally. Coping here is fine. I have no problem; I don’t heat up the polity. Even though there are a very vocal few who are able to travel to Abuja and they are being heard. And so most of the time, they criticize this government beyond reasoning. And you will be shocked to hear that what this government has achieved in the last four years, none of these people has reported one per cent of it.

Rather the news out there is that this government is not doing well, who said so? These are people that have the political voice, but you can’t hear that from the masses of Imo State. Never. And that leads me to say, though we cope well, we don’t fight, we don’t quarrel, they just abuse me and I don’t abuse them back, I say God bless them. But I challenge them and say if there is any governor, past or present, who has done 50 per cent of what I have done in Imo State let him go on paper or televi­sion to say so.

And I will mention those projects. And they will keep quiet, they have nothing to say. I brought free educa­tion; they said the free education is a ruse, a mirage, that it is not true. But to­day in Imo State there is free education from primary to university, no child pays a dime except for some charges they make which is either for their uni­form or for those in Law, whatever it is, ID card, I don’t pay for. But no child pays for school fees in Imo State.

And today, these people cannot come to you and say, well done for the free education. And their chil­dren’s children, directly or indirectly, are benefitting from them. They don’t understand how I do it with the mea­gre resources. What Imo State collects in 10 months is what Akwa Ibom and other rich states collect in one month. What Rivers collect in one month is what Imo State collects in six or seven months. In fact, it will shock you to know that what Rivers collects in one month is what the entire South-East collect in one month. So, you do these, they don’t speak any good of you. These are my political opponents. I built rural roads, there is no local gov­ernment that doesn’t have at least 15 kilometers of road. I have built more than 800 kilometers of road. Instead of saying the man has done well, they say it is China roads. Okay, if it is China roads, have you given us Ghana roads before? If it is China, manage China before American roads will come. You can’t see anything good here from my political opponents. And they bite me here, they bite me there, they do all kinds of things but I say to them God bless you.

But my challenge is that if there is any one, any governor, living, past or present, who has done 50 per cent of what I have done in four years, includ­ing all the PDP governors – Udenwa, Ohakim, all of them – all their projects put together; if they have measured up to my project, I stand to be challenged. And I say this publicly and loudly; check in the areas of health, infrastruc­ture, education, agriculture, and in ev­ery area. When I came in as the gover­nor, the poverty rate in Imo State was 60 per cent going by the World Bank record. Since I started being the gover­nor, the poverty rate now is 19 per cent. In some northern states it is 75 per cent. I am sure in the next four years it will come down totally. Doing business in Imo now has increased from 25 per cent to 85 per cent.

You then ask, what has the governor done wrong that he will not be appreci­ated even by his worst enemies? And that is why if you ask them what Ro­chas has done, they cannot tell you that Rochas has not worked. None of them could say that Rochas has not worked. Because they see it and they see that we have done what they could not do. In the area of health today, we have built one of the best diagnostic centres in Nigeria.

It was built by the Israelis. A renal centre, where people could go for their kidney treatment. And we are building 27 100-bed hospitals. That is, 2,700- bed hospitals across the whole state.

This was built by this government within four years with the little resourc­es that are coming. And still counting, we have built about 350 schools, 250 12-blocks class rooms which has never been recorded in the history of Imo State.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/fg-appointments-blame-yourselves-okorocha-blasts-ndigbo/
Lol Ok
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Rose2014: 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
Closecall:
You have said much about infrastruc­tural development, what about human development because the other time I learnt that Imo workers went on strike?

Well, the strike by Imo workers was really un­called for and was highly politically motivated. I will tell you why I say it is politically motivated. Four years since inception of office I know what I have done for the workers of Imo State. When I came in, the workers of Imo State were owed three months arrears of salary. I paid them off the three months across board. Secondly, when the issue came up about minimum wage, the Fed­eral Government pegged it at N18,000. Imo State was the only state that pays N20,000 minimum wage. Now, take for instance, those in the health sector, a level nine officer in Imo State gets about N393,000 a month while his colleague in the neighbouring Southeastern states and South-south states get only about N130,000 to N150,000, al­most 100 per cent more than what they collect.

So, I pay the best salary in Imo State. For the four years, there was no day there was a strike in Imo State because workers were paid on the 22nd of every month, for good four years non-stop. Now, we came and inherited 12 years of pension arrears. We cleared the 12 years of pension ar­rears. Now, every Christmas, we give the work­ers bonuses. Some per cent of their salaries are paid to them as Christmas bonus which has never happened in the history of Imo State. In addition to that, their dress code, people try to dramatize poverty for civil servants. I said no, we can’t go that way. We introduced a dress code and today all Imo teachers and civil servants wear black suit with red tie and white shirts; you can hardly differ­entiate them from the bank managers. Now, their secretariat was renovated and computerized. Now, you wonder, what has gone wrong within when I came in for second tenure and the three months. Because most of the labour unions come from one particular section of the state that has sympathy for the PDP.

So, it is politically motivated. That was what happened. And I felt very bad about it that the la­bour union has not treated the state right. And they wrote agreement, we had an MoU then, agreement that clearly spells out what to do and what not to do. They reneged on all the agreements. And it is public knowledge that within the last four or six months, oil price went down and most of the states could not afford to pay salaries. And most states whose teachers are being owed 12 or 13 months, none of them went on strike. Why should Imo State workers go on strike because of two months of salary? Why should teachers who are owed only one month go on strike? And we never owed any teacher one month, civil servants two months. So, that is why I said it was politically motivated because there was no justified reason for it. In fact, it was when they went on strike that I decided to reduce their salary to start infrastructural develop­ment, to start building the two-road flyovers we are building now in Amakohia and Okigwe. We are building new flyovers in Imo State. And I told them that I am going to use their salaries, I won’t pay you again. That was what happened. But now I think they have come back to their senses, they have understood the mistake they have made and I appeal that they don’t make such mistakes again. Because there was no reason, trying to in­dict a governor that has shown love. And because of that, we have decided to go back to the original things others are paying, so I have resolved that I will not pay one naira better than any other state in the country. I have to pay the real salary others are paying.

Are you stepping down from your own minimum wage?

We are stepping down but not on the pegged minimum wage, there are excess charges that we are taking. Like now we realized that for some of the health workers, we are paying rural allow­ances. Owerri can’t be a rural area, Orlu can’t be a rural area, same with Okigwe. They pay them rural allowance every month up to 20-something million. To couple with the money they have taken, it is more than N1 billion in four years. So, we should bear the pain; that was a false payment. Some carry cash and pay themselves, some build up salaries that are not there and pay ghost work­ers. So, I need to restructure the entire civil service in Imo State.

Let us come to this innovation you brought into governance, the fourth tier system, the CGC you have in Imo State. How is it running or have you abandoned it?

CGC (Community Government Council) is perhaps the best thing that has happened to Imo State Government in the past four years and might be the only way out for the rest of African nation. From the colonial arrangement, whether anyone believes it or not, even democracy is part of the colonial arrangement. In our government, we have three tiers of government – the local, state and federal government. These tiers are all in the creation of our constitution. I have no prob­lem with that. But you will agree with me that, a typical Nigerian, in his way of thinking, does not believe that the Federal Government exists nor that the state government exists. Neither does he believe that the local government exists. But he believes that communities exist, where he has a proper stake, where he has a point of order.

So, the community government is a fourth tier of government, not on the constitutional ba­sis, that will give everybody in the community a sense of belonging that he will contribute to the development of yourself and your community. And that has worked like a miracle. With this ar­rangement now, agriculture has received a new lease in the state. Community government helps us to tackle the issue of security and kidnapping in the state more than anything else. If we catch any kidnapper in your community we will hold you responsible. So, everybody stopped and shunned kidnapping. We pay pensioners through the com­munity government. So, pensioners of 10,000 do not have to come to Owerri city to collect their money, they stay there in their home and collect it. And we are now having a new city master plan, community master plan, local government mas­ter plan, state master plan for the future, not even for today. So, you see that the government has really touched the lives of people. And with this you have jobs, factories, industries which I have promised the people of Imo State. I have declared now, one community, one industry. No, matter how small it is, they must learn to do things by themselves. So, the community government for me is very effective. It is helping the people to realize that they are a government. They are no longer on-lookers, they are now participants in the governance process.

I am interested in this your job, job, job, factory, factory slogan; three months is  gone, at what stage is it across the state?

Right now the awareness is high. The investors are coming here, troop­ing in everyday. We are on our way to Turkey now to talk with some of the in­vestors. Over 100 of the Imo industri­alists will be going to Turkey to go and meet their partners and start bringing those things there. Whatever we con­sume, we have the right to produce it here. That is what I am saying. And we have built the Imo International Trade and Investment Centre formally called Ahiajoku Centre. We changed that and remodeled it. And this is where we are going to be having international exhi­bitions. By November, the Turkish are coming here for exhibition. We are in­viting Italians to come here for exhibi­tion. So, many nations will come.

And let them look at these things that we have produced, these cassava, vegetables, what can they do for us to add value to them? That is the begin­ning. So, the industries and jobs are agro-based. And in line with that we have what we call the Imo College of Advanced Professional Studies. This college which we have built is to pro­vide basic training in preparation for the industrial take-off. Taking courses that are related to production is what we do there, like underground water, welding, computer and so many of such courses that can help people to fend for themselves. Now, on the job, job, job also, we have been able to re-establish the Avutu Poultry that has been abandoned for over 30 years. Now life has come back to the place in a small scale. And in the next one year we are going to make it upper scale. And it is capable of producing one million eggs per day when fully operational. Now, the Imo Palm Plan­tation, Adapalm which was left to rot for 30 years; now has received a new lease of life.

These are part of the job, job, job we are doing. The Shoe industry has kicked off. Now, even the sold facto­ries built by the previous administra­tions, the Resin Paint in Mbaise and the Paper Package industry at Owerri- Ebeiri, government has gone back to repurchase them, after false chains of sales because it was sold to a company who sold it to another company who couldn’t pay and AMCON took over. So, we have gone back to AMCON to repurchase these two industries. So, truly the place is agog for the indus­trial take off. We are going to start with small scale industries, fish farming, snail farming, cassava; these are all what we are doing now for the job, job, job and it is working and doing well.

Recently, President Buhari made some key appointments, the so-called kitchen cabinets, where no Igbo got a slot. And before then, it was hoped that one of the persons in APC, a prominent Igbo son, would have been appointed into the office of SGF. And you came out to defend that appointment saying that what the Igbo need is development. Do you think the Igbo have not been shut out from the core area of the cabi­net at the federal level?

Let me say to you, I share in what I call the sentiments of the Igbo. Hav­ing to look at the list of the appointees and they have not seen a face that looks like one of them from the South-east, I share the same sentiment. My state­ment was that the appointments made by President Buhari first, he made those appointments under his con­stitutional power and right. Number two, those are his personal staff. When he appointed the service chiefs, even three of the service chiefs are from one particular zone, the North-east. It is common sense that since the problem is there, let’s use the locals to solve the problem of the locals. There is more commitment to saving your own than anyone else.

So, there is nothing wrong with the appointments. Now, chief of Staff, secretary to the government and press secretary are too personal, they are the people you meet every day; they are like your wife you have to be with ev­ery morning. So if you bring somebody that you don’t know too well, even for me here as a governor, you have to meet with persons you must have worked with before and know that they have something to offer. They can understand when you turn your eyes to give them signal. These are some of the things put into consideration when you are appointing personal staff. So, those ones are too personal. So, I don’t think Buhari will make appointments any further, ministerial appointments, board appointments and all that and an Igbo man will not be there, it is not possible.

The Igbo will get their share. And some of the appointments we lost were of the doings of our people. When I was crying like a lonely voice in the wilderness that look at where Nigeria was going none of these leaders heard me. Igbo decided to put their eggs in one basket. After all that cry, they didn’t hear me. That is why today we don’t have a Senate president. Our son today would have been the Senate president if they didn’t do the evil they did in Orlu or in the South-east by our leaders. They made us lost the Senate president, the Speaker, the made us lost in all the key positions. So, I became helpless. I don’t have a Senator to make a Senate president. If I had a Senator, there was no way I wouldn’t have pro­vided for Ndigbo a Senate president. But you cannot eat your cake and have it. So, our position right now, despite the appointments Igbo will get, my ap­peal to the president, they should show presence in the South-east by building projects. That is the only way I can jus­tify telling Ndigbo to support President Buhari. After all, we had a Secretary to the Government from the South-East, so many key positions from the South-east, what single project came to Igbo land for six years of the last administra­tion? None; so what do you want more, projects or appointments? And we are telling people to go and become min­isters and SGF to bring projects. So, if that is the only reason you to have the projects, then that shouldn’t be the issue. So, that is my point before I get misunderstood.

Ok grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by yang(m): 10:11pm On Sep 13, 2015
This Fat pig okoroawusa talking about Igbo

Better go back to Kano and live under Sharia

Hausa man

Saboteur

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by donholy28(m): 10:27pm On Sep 13, 2015
Worst and dirtiest governor to rule IMO state

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:37pm On Sep 13, 2015
When I came in here, the First Lady and the deputy governor were operating from a three-bedroom bungalow. Now, I went and built an edifice for the office of the deputy governor and the First Lady which I  called the twin house, which is standing there on three floors.
Wow, so the FIRST Lady is also an official of the state? APC and hypocrisy
If I had a Senator, there was no way I wouldn’t have pro vided for Ndigbo a Senate president.
As in ehn, this Okoro guy is a clown

4 Likes

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by permsec: 10:49pm On Sep 13, 2015
I'm allergic to long sermon thats why i choose evening mass.

1 Like

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Nobody: 4:12am On Sep 14, 2015
permsec:
I'm allergic to long sermon thats why i choose evening mass.
Nigeria is blessed
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Pavore9: 4:36am On Sep 14, 2015
l hate to hear dwindling oil revenue as an excuse. Can no Nigeria state survive without oil? This feeding bottle system is not helping us! angry

1 Like

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Dabigbroda(m): 4:56am On Sep 14, 2015
grin

1 Like

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Aufbauh(m): 5:04am On Sep 14, 2015
Owelle Ndigbo Rochas nwa'mama! My people, my people's Governor i greet your foresight & courage amongst wolves & tigers who can not what you're seeing.
Majority of your people hates & reject you, they called you names as ndiawusa, son of a harlot, Alhaji Rochas etc but we Nigerian people love you cos you are a nationalist, a patriot and an ardent philanthropist who takes the entire Nigeria as his primary constituenc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by naijaking1: 5:15am On Sep 14, 2015
Buhari's actions will cause the political death of his associates in Igboland like Okorocha.

1 Like

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Agimor(m): 5:17am On Sep 14, 2015
Op were you not taught summary in school.

1 Like

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by 1miccza: 5:51am On Sep 14, 2015
Very typical of him to toe the familiar line of his compatriots these people are clowns who have been taught to keep on saying the same thing in an interview yeye people.....

2 Likes

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by lorbah001(m): 5:55am On Sep 14, 2015
Let em keep wailing on d pages of newspaper nd social media......let's see whose loss gonna count more
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by dayo23(f): 6:00am On Sep 14, 2015
Well Okorocha has make his point, I think he is right.
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Realisticman: 6:16am On Sep 14, 2015
If what this man is saying is correct then, I am sorry that Nigerians does not understands what opposition politics means.
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 14, 2015
dayo23:
Well Okorocha has make his point, I think he is right.
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by frankyychiji(f): 7:18am On Sep 14, 2015
Okorocha is a fraud. He has told the brown envelopes reporters what they expected him to say. We are on ground in Imo state. The workers he claimed to do everything for loathe him with a passion, otherwise why didn't he get a single senator in the last election.
Okorocha is still in power because his opponents refused to learn from their mistakes due to their personal ego.
We told Captain Iheanacho , we told the errant little boy Ihedioha, we told the Agbasos, we told all of them to swallow their pride and form a strong alliance to chase this daylight fraud outta of the city!

We trusted Okorocha! We killed Ohakim for his sake! But like the unrepentant fraudster that he is, he did not change!

Why didn't the workers he claimed to do so much for vote for all his candidates?

Roachas is still governor today because he out-rigged his opponents!

Rabbish!

At this age and time, a governor is beating his chest because he did few kilometres of substandard asphalt!
Nobody should just sit here and run his mouth ignorantly, they should come to Imo and see the state of the roads he did today!

2 Likes

Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by sammyj: 7:58am On Sep 14, 2015
Ok
Re: FG Appointments: Blame Yourselves, Okorocha Blasts Ndigbo- Sun Newspaer by nationwide1(m): 8:07am On Sep 14, 2015
Okorocha has lost it.

He has run short of ideas and should be ashamed of himself.

He has simply exposed his inability to champion the cause of Ndigbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Faces Of The Six Men Arrested For Swallowing US$156,000 In Lagos / Were I Senate President Saraki, I Would Resign Today! / We Are Not Biafrans We Are Niger Deltans Biafra Stay Clear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.