Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto (814 Views)

Luxurious Lifestyle Of Andre Ayew, Ghanaian Blackstar Player / Floyd Mayweather's Flashy Watches And Belt Collection (Photos) / Floyd Mayweather’s Bodyguards Are So Big They Take Separate Private Jet (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by MediaBlog(m): 2:52am On Sep 14, 2015
After 19 years of boxing, Floyd Mayweather Says “It’s Over” After his Final Fight with Andre Berto on Saturday to claim his 49th and he says final victim in a sparkling unbeaten ring career spanning twenty years.

All three judges ruled almost completely to support Mayweather and a short later, the American welterweight world champion confirmed that he was retiring, saying; “My career is over” “It’s official”

He equals the perfect 49-0 record of heavyweight legend Rocky Marciano and retains his WBA and WBC titles, adding to his reputation for being the best boxer of his era.

Floyd Mayweather drop to his knees in the ring after the bell, taking in the moment.

“I want to thank all the fans… for 19 years I would not be able to do it without these fans,” he said, after the judges ruled it 118-110, 117-111 and 120-108, all to the champ.

“But you need to know when it’s time to hang it up. I’m knocking at the door; I’m almost 40 years of age now.

“There is nothing else to prove in the game of boxing. I’m leaving the sport with all my abilities; I’m still sharp and smart.”

The $32 million he earned seem to be a pocket change compared to what he got for Manny Pacquiao in his last fight. The 38-year-old so-called “TBE” (The Best Ever), who had regularly said that the Andre Berto fight would be the last time he steps into the ring, had too much cleverness and nous for the rank outsider.

Berto, who has now lost four of his last seven contests, was set up as the fall guy for the pound-for-pound king’s coronation — and he played the role perfectly, showing plenty of heart but not enough quality.

Mayweather has his critics, yet he was given a legend’s welcome at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas by a loud and aggressive crowd who had come hoping to see him give Andre Berto, 32, an old-fashioned beating.

He didn’t exactly do that, but instead used his amazing defensive skills to avoid the worst that Andre Berto — a former two-time world champion — could throw at him.

Berto kept chasing at Mayweather; who would land a quick-fire combination and then dart out of trouble again — to roars of approval for the man fans have taken to simply call him “Money.”

Even when he had Mayweather against the ropes Berto found it difficult to connect with anything meaningful.

The first real taste of a fight breaking out came at the end of the 2nd round, when the two tangled after the bell, Floyd Mayweather giving his opponent a filthy look.

The champion — hit by allegation on the eve of the fight that he broke anti-doping rules earlier this year, which he denies — came out for round three clearly still disturbed.

Mayweather was sent running across the canvas after one exchange, bringing the crowd of 13,395 to its feet, but the move was more like wrestling than boxing.

Berto had his first real taste of success halfway through the fourth of the scheduled 12, forcing Mayweather to shrink away in fear against the ropes as Berto pursed one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.

Berto chose to play wildly and roughly tactics in the fifth, catching Mayweather with one especially low shot that drew oohs from the stands.

The crowd was up on their feet again in the 6th as Mayweather turned the screw, tricking the underdog with three shots to the body in quick progression.

Still Berto – dismissed as a failure by some critics who needed to see Mayweather take on a bigger name.

But he was mostly finding air, and Mayweather punished him in the end seconds of the seventh, and Berto briefly looked in big trouble.

Mayweather was frighteningly gaining control and he knew it — striking a pose at the end of the eighth, and some in the crowd praise him with cries of “TBE! TBE! TBE!”

Referee Kenny Bayless had to stop the action in the 10th and address the pair to stop mouthing off at each other, and there was another flashpoint when the bell sounded.

Mayweatherse secured his night’s work — and that of his career, if he is to be believed — by turning showman in the 11th, ducking brilliantly to stay away from several Berto haymakers and then looking behind himself as if to say mockingly to his opponent; where am I?

Asked what he and Berto were mumbling to each other in the ring, Mayweather said: “Just trash talking.”

If Mayweather retires, it will end a career that saw him turn into a pay-per-view star and earn more money than any boxer before him. Despite the fact that most in boxing believe he will some day fight again, the 38-year-old said he had lot of money and his health is more important than pursuing records.

“I’ve accomplished everything in my sport” Mayweather added

Source: http://www.mediapaper.net/2015/09/13/floyd-mayweather-says-its-over-after-his-final-fight-with-andre-berto/

CC: lalasticlala, ishilove, dragnet, honsule, puskin

Re: Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by Eeser: 3:04am On Sep 14, 2015
Aiit. Next!
Re: Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by Cashyguy(m): 3:09am On Sep 14, 2015
Eeser:
Aiit.
Next!

Not fan of boxing? angry grin

all hail mayweather
Re: Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by mormoni(m): 3:30am On Sep 14, 2015

Re: Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by star2008(m): 3:43am On Sep 14, 2015
Quite good. Am happy 4 mayweather. A good way 2 retire.

1 Like

Re: Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by chanx: 7:46am On Sep 14, 2015
A perfect way to retire with all the unbeaten records. You earned it. Congratulation

1 Like

Re: Floyd Mayweather Says “it’s Over” After His Final Fight With Andre Berto by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 14, 2015
All hail d king money man.

(1) (Reply)

John Fashanu Celebrates His 53rd Birthday Today / Chelsea Reject £35.5m Bid From Monaco For Mourinho / Jighere Wellington Of Nigeria Emerges World Scrabble Champion!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.