Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,243 members, 7,953,921 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:56 AM

The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing (611 Views)

Do The Lost Books Of The Bible Prove That The Bible Has Been Altered? / Where In The Quran Did It Say The Bible Has Been Corrupted? / The Bible Has Been Corrupted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 14, 2015
I have come across some posts here on nairaland that challenge church authorities on the right they have to give out dress code. Their argument is that many of the churches are only trying to enforce their religion and tradition on others.

Well, I have a news for you. God himself specifically mentioned his standard for dressing both in the old and new testament. A few of scriptural references are Ex 28:1-5, 1 Tim 2:9.

The exodus passage mentioned 2 keywords for our standard of dressing which is DIGNITY and HONOUR (Ex 28:2). God was also particular about materials to be used which means he doesn't want us to dress as paupers when we can afford quality materials. Oh yes! God approves of using materials of high quality in our dressing (Ex 28:5). I know many people will want to agree with the latter part but ignore the former whereas the passage goes hand in hand. Can you tell me what is dignified in a dress that exposes your breast and armpits as a lady and what honour is accorded to a man that sags his trousers? Why should you wear any dress that cannot make you sit down comfortably or bend down in the public? What dignity is there when we dress in a way such that our underwears are revealed (consciously), they are called UNDERwears which indicates they are supposed to be put under. Even common sense should instruct us to cover up appropriately in harmattan cold and yet you see some people exposing their bodies even though they are shivering.

Why is it that women who wear such dresses even to church and men who sag won't dress in such a way when going for a job interview or a project defence? Does my dressing project or bring dignity and honour to me? These are salient questions we must ask ourselves about our dressing.

The passage in 1 Timothy mentioned that our dressing (applying to both male and female) should be with modesty, decency and propriety. The latter part of that scripture has been misinterpreted over time but what it implies is that priority should be given to good deeds (character) above braided hairs, gold, pearls or expensive clothes and not that those materials should not be used at all. Paul just used a figure of speech in verse 9-10 and didn't condemn the use of those materials. Infact, some of those materials were sanctioned by God to be used in dressing throughout scriptures and the Israelites were only asked to be stripped of them when their character is questionable.

If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice- nor do the churches of God. (1 Cor 11:16)

1 Like

Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by Sweetyie(f): 10:48am On Sep 14, 2015
following
Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by kestolove95(m): 11:04am On Sep 14, 2015
Wear anytin to d church evn d pastors says its ur mind not ur dress jesus is concern with, so leav dem alone
Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by Kingzy4pep(m): 5:36am On Feb 24, 2019
michlan:
I have come across some posts here on nairaland that challenge church authorities on the right they have to give out dress code. Their argument is that many of the churches are only trying to enforce their religion and tradition on others.

Well, I have a news for you. God himself specifically mentioned his standard for dressing both in the old and new testament. A few of scriptural references are Ex 28:1-5, 1 Tim 2:9.

The exodus passage mentioned 2 keywords for our standard of dressing which is DIGNITY and HONOUR (Ex 28:2). God was also particular about materials to be used which means he doesn't want us to dress as paupers when we can afford quality materials. Oh yes! God approves of using materials of high quality in our dressing (Ex 28:5). I know many people will want to agree with the latter part but ignore the former whereas the passage goes hand in hand. Can you tell me what is dignified in a dress that exposes your breast and armpits as a lady and what honour is accorded to a man that sags his trousers? Why should you wear any dress that cannot make you sit down comfortably or bend down in the public? What dignity is there when we dress in a way such that our underwears are revealed (consciously), they are called UNDERwears which indicates they are supposed to be put under. Even common sense should instruct us to cover up appropriately in harmattan cold and yet you see some people exposing their bodies even though they are shivering.

Why is it that women who wear such dresses even to church and men who sag won't dress in such a way when going for a job interview or a project defence? Does my dressing project or bring dignity and honour to me? These are salient questions we must ask ourselves about our dressing.

The passage in 1 Timothy mentioned that our dressing (applying to both male and female) should be with modesty, decency and propriety. The latter part of that scripture has been misinterpreted over time but what it implies is that priority should be given to good deeds (character) above braided hairs, gold, pearls or expensive clothes and not that those materials should not be used at all. Paul just used a figure of speech in verse 9-10 and didn't condemn the use of those materials. Infact, some of those materials were sanctioned by God to be used in dressing throughout scriptures and the Israelites were only asked to be stripped of them when their character is questionable.

If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice- nor do the churches of God. (1 Cor 11:16)
Bros, I sent you a pm, please.
Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by raphieMontella: 6:56am On Feb 24, 2019
the bible is not a fashion magazine

1 Like

Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by chiommy123(f): 7:53am On Feb 24, 2019
I think the problem is we don't see anything wrong with what we're wearing so far our heart is pure but just consider others pls
Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 24, 2019
chiommy123:
I think the problem is we don't see anything wrong with what we're wearing so far our heart is pure but just consider others pls
Everything is wrong with what we wear if they immodest. It is shameful to see many people who call themselves Christian dress anyhow. Many pastors are deceiving their members because of the financial gain they get they don't tell their members the truth. This is peculiar to pentecostal churches as it is rare to see orthodox churches condone immoral dressing. The scriptures was clear in Rom 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.". It says your body not heart.
Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 24, 2019
kestolove95:
Wear anytin to d church evn d pastors says its ur mind not ur dress jesus is concern with, so leav dem alone
Those pastors saying that are affect material gain hence they deceive members into saying come as you are
Re: The Bible Has A Standard For Dressing by Nobody: 8:29am On Feb 24, 2019
A Christian must always be dressed modestly (decently). Whether male or female, Jesus Christ must be revealed in your dressing.
Modest means not extravagant, moderate or restrained in amount, extent, etc
Decency means correct, honorable or modest
Decent means conforming to standards of decency, avoiding obscenity, respectable, acceptable or good enough.
Christian Modest Dressing

How we dress our bodies is so much important to God because

1. The body is God’s temple; it is the dwelling place of God.

1 Cor 3:16: Do you know that you are God’s temple and God’s spirit dwells in you?

John 14:23: Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

If the body is God’s temple, His temple must be dressed appropriately to His standards.

2. To not make your brother or sister sin

When it is only you and God, how you dress does not matter much because even when you are nude taking shower, sleeping naked, married couples having sexual intercourse, etc, God is there with you; dwelling in you.

But it is good to cover yourself when you pray and this does not mean that God is with you only when you are praying. See how to honor God with the body in prayer.

Dressing is about how we reveal/manifest Jesus Christ to people. It is about how we take care of our brothers and sisters not to sin.

Christianity comes from the word ‘Christ-like’ and any person claiming to be a Christian must be Christ-like. Jesus Christ always cared about other people, making sure that they do not sin because of Him.

Jesus said,

Mark 9:42 But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea

Paul was Christ-like and he said,

1 Cor 8: 13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat lest I make my brother stumble.

A true Christian is always mindful of his/her brother and sister and this is true love.

Your dressing can make your brother and sister stumble and sin. If you make your brother or sister sin, it is better if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea (1 Cor 8:13)

The way you dress will make your brother or sister commit adultery and fornication; sin.

The way you dress will make your brother or sister see Jesus Christ because God is revealed in how you dress His temple; the body.
How a Christian lady must dress

The world tells and pushes for ladies to dress sexy. Dressing sexy according to the world is exposing female private body parts; exposing God’s temple.

The world pushes and wants ladies to dress like harlots; prostitutes.

A prostitute is identified by her dressing. The way you dress identifies who you are; Are you a prostitute or are you a God’s Child?

Proverb 7:10: And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of a harlot

Harlots have a dressing code. A Christian lady must not dress like a harlot.

Female private body parts must remain private (covered) only to be seen by God and your husband.

Female private body parts entices males sexually; makes males commit adultery and fornication in their minds (they have sexual intercourse with you in their minds). This is making your brother sin and better if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea (1 Cor 8:13).

The following female body parts are private and must only be seen by God and your husband.

1. Breasts

In the Bible and in the Kingdom of God, there is nothing called cleavage but breast. Any part of female’s breast is a breast and breasts are private; they must remain private thus well covered/dressed.

Breasts are only for your husband satisfaction not for public satisfaction.

Proverb 5:19: Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Why do you want to show your breasts to all males? Why do you want to satisfy all males sexually with your breasts? You are sinning.

2. Thighs
Female thighs are private and they must remain private thus decently dressed. A thigh starts from the knee up thus a Christian lady must not wear any cloth that does not cover her from the knee up.

Mini-skirts are of the world; they expose your thighs. Female thighs entice males sexually.
You must not wear mini-skirts in public. Wear them when you are with your husband; reveal your thighs only to your husband. Let him be the only male to get satisfaction from your thighs.

Stop feeding the public; stop satisfying all males sexually. You are sinning sister.

3. Waist
Ladies cover your waist; It is private. Let it remain private only for your husband.

4. Bottom/behind
Dress your behind well; not revealing it. We do not want to see how big or small it is. Show it only to your husband for his sexual satisfaction.

5. Inner wears
Inner wears (pants, bras, bikers, etc) must remain private and this is the reason they are called inner wears. Only reveal then to your husband for his pleasure.
Any other female private body part must be kept private.

Males are sexually enticed by female private body parts and if you do not dress them decently, if you expose or reveal them to every male, you are sinning by making your brother sin when he haves sexual intercourse with you in his mind as you entice him sexually.
Keep your private body parts only for your husband to enjoy, be sexually enticed and satisfied. They were created only for your husband not for every male.

How a Christian male must dress

Likewise, males must cover or decently dress their private body parts. They are only to be seen by your wife and God.

Any male private body part that sexually entices females must be fully covered; decently dressed.

The following male body parts are private and they sexually entice females thus they must be decently dressed.

1. Chest
Dress your chest well that it does not reveal itself to females; It only for your wife sexual satisfaction.

2. Hand muscles (Biceps)
Dress your hand muscles well that they are not revealed to females to sexually entice them. They are only for your wife pleasure.

3. Inner wears
All inner wears must remain private; just between you, your wife and God.
Any other male private body part that sexually entices females must remain covered, decently dressed, only to be seen and enjoyed by your wife for her satisfaction.
The female body was created only for her husband’s pleasure and sexual satisfaction while the man’s body was created only for his wife’s pleasure and sexual satisfaction (one male for one female)

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Why Did Jesus Fold The Linen Burial Cloth After His Resurrection? [A MUST READ] / Angels On Assignment / Nigeria’s Gay Pastor, Jide Celebrates 50th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.