Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Read What Nathaniel Bassey Has To Say About Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Read What Nathaniel Bassey Has To Say About Corruption (635 Views)

Bassey Albert Greeting Buhari And Saraki (Photos) / (PHOTO) If This Happened, Buhari Is Serious About Corruption. / Buhari Dead Serious About Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Read What Nathaniel Bassey Has To Say About Corruption by Dramadiddy(m): 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2015
STILL ON CORRUPTION Great to hear and see the drive of the present administration in tackling corruption. Chasing after looters ( following the rule of law, and not as a dictator, I suppose) who have plundered NIGERIA. And that can be a good starting point. However, we must realize like I have stated recently that corruption is more than just stealing money. I mentioned some so called little things that have come to be accepted as norms in our day to day life which are in fact and indeed corruption. And until we zero in on those things, and pursue corruption from the root, we may be exercising in futility. Take for instance the AREA BOYS issue in the western part of NIGERIA. From time to time, and believe it or not, I hop on a keke maruwa (tricycle), and very sparingly, okada, in remote areas where they are allowed to operate, when I need to do so. And just like to day, You suddenly find some guy jumping unto the road and demanding money by force. I'm not talking about levies for the transport unions o. I mean the ones where some Area father sits somewhere and runs a system or cartel of extortion and exploitation. And if you live in Lagos like me, you would have seen them today, especially if you're a public transport user. I have never felt right seeing that. And Today, the guy jumped on the road, parks the bike and says " where my money?", and I'm thinking, "your money?", how? Why? You sit down, smoking hemp and drinking booze round the clock, and then harass some innocent fellow struggling to make ends meet for "your money". I don't know how these things make others feel, but for me, something wells up inside of me. A holy anger that is. How about the omonile issue? You buy a plot of land, and you have to settle people for buying. Settle them for fencing, settle for building. And even settle for demolishing. I'm not even going to talk about going to the state government to sort out documentation for the land. Because that's another level of corruption. Over the years these evils have become part and parcel of the naija life. Our children don't know any better. They are born and raised seeing these things as acceptable ways of life. Which is why I think corruption is psychological and mental. It is a perverse mindset and world view that soon becomes a culture, that is, a way of life and living. Therefore, the average Nigerian must undergo a radical and pragmatic renewal of mind. And this I do not know how the government would do this. But as a church, we have got the power of God's word to transform the human mind and thinking. And as such must emphasize more, the fruit and character of Christ above miracle signs and wonders in our teachings. It would shock you to have a discuss with a fellow believer, and they'll argue that some clearly criminal activity is simply being smart. Nevertheless, the present administration may argue that the fight against corruption has to just start somewhere, and that with time the effect of this graft war would trickle down to the ordinary Nigerian on the streets. And I hope this is the case. But whatever they do, I maintain that until these everyday acceptable criminal activities become taboos and unacceptable to the average Nigerian, the day when a policeman demanding 50naira from a danfo driver becomes a very big deal, the area boy and omoniles are arrested and charged, then this fight against corruption may just be another white elephant project. That said, kudos to the government. My thoughts though...
Re: Read What Nathaniel Bassey Has To Say About Corruption by datola: 9:01pm On Sep 14, 2015
Thanks, mr Bassey. All hands must be on deck to fight corruption at all levels, regions, states, and locals- including clearing all those thugs off the road for a better life.

Meanwhile, "there is someone at the door of your heart. Open the door and let Him, Jesus come in.
Re: Read What Nathaniel Bassey Has To Say About Corruption by Dramadiddy(m): 10:16pm On Sep 14, 2015
Cc lalasticlala ishilove obinoscopy seun

(1) (Reply)

Saraki Dragged Before An Incompetent Court On A 13-count Charge Source: gongnews / Breaking News: Produce Saraki In 24hrs, CCT Orders IGP Arase / Is Kirikiri In The Future Of Saraki?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.