Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,887 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] (30042 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [government Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by abuhubaidah: 10:53pm On Oct 14, 2015
icecalm:
you're welcome
thanks boss
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by abuhubaidah: 10:55pm On Oct 14, 2015
Geofavor:
please kindly share the link to physics and English thread..thanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 16, 2015
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 16, 2015
(1) The Atomicity of any element is the number of atoms of that element that will make a molecule of the element, i.e the atomicity of oxygen (O2) is 2, while that of ozone(O3) is 3. Sulphur exist in it molecule state as S8 and it atomicity is 8. C

(2) NB: This question require knowledge of stoichiometry.
From the given data we could determine which law of chemical combination the reaction obey. First we have to write a balanced equation for the reaction.

N2 + O2 ——> NO + NO

Now, let us inspect the above equation to see if it's correct with the data given.
NB: The equation already failed in the R.H.S; only one type of oxide is given.

For a single mole of Nitrogen gas, half,one and two moles of oxygen gas is required to form Nitrogen peroxide, Nitrogen(ii)oxide and Nitrogen(iv)oxide respectively. dinitrogen tetraoxide (N2O4) may also be formed with two moles of oxygen gas.
The next step is to compare the mass of the oxides given with the mass you will obtain by calculating the mass of the above listed oxides that will likely be formed from the given mass of Nitrogen gas.
Mass of N2=0.8
Moles of N2 = 0.8/28mol

From the above reaction, 1mole of N2 will form 1mol each of two different oxides, being any of the above listed oxides with oxygen. Therefore, 0.8/28mol of N2 will form 0.8/28mol of either of two oxides.
Mass of the oxides that will be formed with 0.8/28mol of N2:
We will be using,
Mass=mole×molar mass

Nitrogen peroxide(N2O) = 0.8/28×44 =1.26g

Nitrogen(ii)oxide(NO) =0.8/28×30= 0.86g

Nitrogen(iv)oxide (NO2)= 0.8/28×46=1.31g

dinitrogen tetraoxide (N2O4)= 0.8/28×92= 2.63g

By comparison, the oxides likely to be formed are NO and NO2.
we proceed to write the balanced equation,
2N2 + 3O2 ——> 2NO2 + 2NO
or
N2 + 1½O2 ——> NO2 + NO

(NB: we balance the coefficients by inspection)
A.... Law of multiple proportion, since the O combine with N in simple multiples.
B.... Nitrogen(iv)oxide and Nitrogen(ii)oxide
C....same mass of the oxides as those given in the question would be formed when 0.8g of Nitrogen gas is mixed with 2.89g of Oxygen gas and only 1.37g of the Oxygen gas will react, while the others will remain as excess.

(3) first we write a balanced equation for the reaction;
C + O2 ——> CO2
From the equation 1mole of carbon(vi)oxide will be produce from 1mole of Oxygen gas.

Molar volume of gas at stp 22.4dm3 and this is equivalent to 22400cm3

Volume of oxygen gas required to produce 5mol of CO2= 22400×5 = 112000cm3. A

I WILL EXPLAIN Q 4-10 TOMORROW. walanter, abuhubaidah, geoflavor and others

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 12:11am On Oct 17, 2015
Not very good @typing, I would have shown all my workings. How do you type ur superscript nd subscript? I use Android thou.

No4:b, 5:c, 6:b, 7: I guess u made typo error 8:C3H8+5O2=3CO2+4H2O. 9:c 10:b.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 17, 2015
OluchiDelly:
Not very good @typing, I would have shown all my workings. How do you type ur superscript nd subscript? I use Android thou.

good, keep it up..... check Q 6 & 10 the correct ans. is D and D
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2015
OluchiDelly:

for subscript use [sub.]put in what you want to subscript here[/sub.],,,,,, do it without the dot if not it won't work.
do the same for superscript but this time use sup instead of sub.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 18, 2015
Geofavor:

yeah, but it's beyond waec scope
Hi... Please what's the difference between a REAL GAS and an IDEAL GAS?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 6:13pm On Oct 18, 2015
prof icecalm, I'm sorry, I've been quite tied down. I've got a little problem managing my time.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 6:34pm On Oct 18, 2015
SuperNover:

Hi... Please what's the difference between a REAL GAS and an IDEAL GAS?
an ideal gas adheres strictly to the gas laws. but real gases don't totally obey the laws.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 18, 2015
Geofavor:

an ideal gas adheres strictly to the gas laws. but real gases don't totally obey the laws.
.. Thanks... smiley

In reality, do we truly have ideal gases?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 8:06pm On Oct 18, 2015
icecalm:
good, keep it up..... check Q 6 & 10 the correct ans. is D and D

OK noted. No 6, I never knew is D, cos Rutherford too worked extensively on atomic n nuclear chemistry. that is why I gav him d shot. Not knowing he didn't touch atomic symbols.
No 10, I forgot to put d moles into consideration. I only looked from Graham's angle but forgot to look from Avogadro's as well.
Thank you. I will be xpecting more Q.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 8:34pm On Oct 18, 2015
SuperNover:
.. Thanks... smiley
In reality, do we truly have ideal gases?
no, we don't. U seem to ask not because u don't know, but to tempt.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 18, 2015
OluchiDelly:

no, we don't.
Thanks a million. I've been having trouble with that for a while now.

U seem to ask not because u don't know, but to tempt.

You think so?.... Funny..... Well, that's not it, Miss oluchi smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 19, 2015
Geofavor:
prof icecalm, I'm sorry, I've been quite tied down. I've got a little problem managing my time.
me too, we have to move the thread forward what's the next chapter. I'm finding it difficult to type this days, if not I would have complete the explanation.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by DebbyChris(f): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2015
Hi icecalm, geofavor, its being long i came here i've been very busy. How is the ministry moving?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 12:10am On Oct 25, 2015
icecalm:
me too, we have to move the thread forward what's the next chapter. I'm finding it difficult to type this days, if not I would have complete the explanation.
lol, why did you cancel the "prof"? You're one of our profs here nau cheesy.
Okay i think i will be more available now. Let's revive this thread.
The next topic should be acids, bases and salts.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 12:20am On Oct 25, 2015
DebbyChris:
Hi icecalm, geofavor, its being long i came here i've been very busy.
How is the ministry moving?
not too good. But now it's about to resume activities with full force.
Welcome back smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by DebbyChris(f): 6:00am On Oct 25, 2015
Geofavor:
not too good. But now it's about to resume activities with full force. Welcome back smiley
Ok
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 25, 2015
Geofavor:

lol, why did you cancel the "prof"? You're one of our profs here nau cheesy.
Okay i think i will be more available now. Let's revive this thread.
The next topic should be acids, bases and salts.
okay, but you guys have to study the topics. i will post questions on monday and the explanation on Friday, then followed by a summary. And more like a classroom after your studies within the week you could tender your questions. i really want to help now because i will be going back to school next month
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
DebbyChris:
Hi icecalm, geofavor, its being long i came here i've been very busy.
How is the ministry moving?
you are welcome back
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 25, 2015
If you still need the explanation for the rest questions, just qoute me or OluchiDelly
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 1:39pm On Oct 25, 2015
icecalm:
okay, but you guys have to study the topics. i will post questions on monday and the explanation on Friday, then followed by a summary. And more like a classroom after your studies within the week you could tender your questions. i really want to help now because i will be going back to school next month
okay, thanks a lot. We will be expecting the questions.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 27, 2015

(1) Acidity is not an inherent property of a substance but rather a more behavior of a substance under certain conditions.
True/False

(2) Acid is defined as a substance which donates a proton by_______
(A) Bronsted-Lowry
(B) Arrhenius
(C) Lewis
(D) Non of above

(3) ________ is not an organic acid
(A) Propanoic acid
(B) Valeric acid
(C) Nitrous acid
(D) Lactic acid

(4) Acid in solution will dissociate to produce hydrogen ions or protons as the only positive ion, is of who?
(A) Lewis
(B) Alexander
(C) Arrhenius
(D) Millikan

(5) Strong acid is _____
(A) slippery to touch
(B) Coarse when rubbed between fingers
(C) Corrosive
(D) Orange in colour

(6) A substance that neutralize an acid to yield salt and water only is_____
(A) Alcohol
(B) Base
(C) Phenol
(D) Amide

(7) ______has a bitter taste.
(A) Base
(B) Acid
(C) Alkanoate
(D) A and B

(8.) A compound that could be use to dry all gases is_______
(A) Silica gel
(B) Calcium oxide
(C) Calcium chloride
(D) Concentrated tetraoxosulphate(VI) acid

(9) Calcium chloride may dry all gases except_______
(A) Hydrogen sulphide
(B) Acetylene
(C) Hydrogen chloride
(D) Ammonia

(10) Substance that absorb large amount of water on exposure to the atmosphere and eventually turn into solution is said to be _______
(A) Hygroscopic
(B) Deliquescent
(C) Efflorescent
(D) Florescent

(11) Washing soda is an example of _______ compounds
(A) Efflorescent
(B) Hygroscopic
(C) Deliquescent
(D) Effervescent

(12) _______ is a complex salt.
(A) KAl(SO4) 2
(B) K4Fe(CN) 6
(C) NaHSO4
(D) Zn(OH)Cl

(13) Weak acid ionize______
(A) Completely
(B) Incompletely
(C) Strongly
(D) Explosively

(14) Calcium hydroxide is used in the manufacture of ______
(A) Cement
(B) Iron
(C) Explosive
(D) Soap

(15) ______ is used in the manufacture of gun powder and matches
(A) Silver trioxonitrate(V)
(B) Calcium tetraoxosulphate(VI)
(C) Potassium trioxonitrate(V)
(D) Copper II tetraoxosulphate(VI)

(16) Which of the following salts is insoluble in water?
(B) Barium trioxonitrate(V)
(C) Calcium chloride
(D) Silver chloride

(17) The Ph of a 0.5M NaOH is ______
(A) 1.3
(B) 13.7
(C) 5.3
(D) 11.7

(18) Insoluble salts are mostly prepared by _______
(A) Neutralization
(B) Double decomposition
(C) Dilution
(D) Condensation

(19) The Ph of a 1.8×10-3M HCl is
(A) 2.7
(B) 2.3
(C) 4.3
(D) 10.5

(20) The basicity of phosphoric acid is________
(A) 3
(B) 5
(C) 6
(D) 2

geoflavor, debbychris, OluchiDelly and others
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by IamLukas(m): 5:49pm On Oct 27, 2015
1True2A3C4C5C6B7A8A9D10C11A12B13B14A15C16A17B18B19C20D

Icecalm

Sorry are u also a jambite?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2015
IamLukas:

Icecalm

Sorry are u also a jambite?
No, a student of uniben
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by DebbyChris(f): 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2015
1.true 2.No idea, pls which textbook are u using? i can't find that in my new school chemistry.
3.A 4.No idea 5.C 6.B 7.A 8.A 9.D 10.B 11.A 12.B 13.B 14.A 15.C 16.D 17.No idea 18.B 19.No idea 20.A
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by IamLukas(m): 11:19pm On Oct 27, 2015
Ok
icecalm:
No, a student of uniben
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 11:37pm On Oct 27, 2015
icecalm:

(1) Acidity is not an inherent property of a substance but rather a more behavior of a substance under certain conditions.
True /False

(2) Acid is defined as a substance which donates a proton by_______
(A) Bronsted-Lowry
(B) Arrhenius
(C) Lewis
(D) Non of above

(3) ________ is not an organic acid
(A) Propanoic acid
(B) Valeric acid
(C) Nitrous acid
(D) Lactic acid

(4) Acid in solution will dissociate to produce hydrogen ions or protons as the only positive ion, is of who?
(A) Lewis
(B) Alexander
(C) Arrhenius
(D) Millikan

(5) Strong acid is _____
(A) slippery to touch
(B) Coarse when rubbed between fingers
(C) Corrosive
(D) Orange in colour

(6) A substance that neutralize an acid to yield salt and water only is_____
(A) Alcohol
(B) Base
(C) Phenol
(D) Amide

(7) ______has a bitter taste.
(A) Base
(B) Acid
(C) Alkanoate
(D) A and B

(8.) A compound that could be use to dry all gases is_______
(A) Silica gel
(B) Calcium oxide
(C) Calcium chloride
(D) Concentrated tetraoxosulphate(VI) acid

(9) Calcium chloride may dry all gases except______
(A) Hydrogen sulphide
(B) Acetylene
(C) Hydrogen chloride
(D) Ammonia

(10) Substance that absorb large amount of water on exposure to the atmosphere and eventually turn into solution is said to be _______
(A) Hygroscopic
(B) Deliquescent
(C) Efflorescent
(D) Florescent

(11) Washing soda is an example of _______ compounds
(A) Efflorescent
(B) Hygroscopic
(C) Deliquescent
(D) Effervescent

(12) _______ is a complex salt.
(A) KAl(SO4) 2
(B) K4F(CN) 6
(C) NaHSO4
(D) Zn(OH)Cl

(13) Weak acid ionize______
(A) Completely
(B) Incompletely
(C) Strongly
(D) Explosively

(14) Calcium hydroxide is used in the manufacture of ______
(A) Cement
(B) Iron
(C) Explosive
(D) Soap

(15) ______ is used in the manufacture of gun powder and matches
(B) Calcium tetraoxosulphate(VI)
(C) Potassium trioxonitrate(V)
(D) Copper II tetraoxosulphate(VI)

(16) Which of the following salts is insoluble in water?
(B) Barium trioxonitrate(V)
(C) Calcium chloride
(D) Silver chloride

(17) The Ph of a 0.5M NaOH is ______
(A) 1.3
(B) 13.7
(C) 5.3
(D) 11.7

(18) Insoluble salts are mostly prepared by _______
(A) Neutralization
(B) Double decomposition
(C) Dilution
(D) Condensation

(19) The Ph of a 1.8×10-3M HCl is
(A) 2.7
(B) 2.3
(C) 4.3
(D) 10.5 (i don't know the calculations yet.)

(20) The basicity of phosphoric acid is________
(A) 3
(B) 5
(C) 6
(D) 2

geoflavor
i didn't see this on time cos i didn't get the mention. smiley
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 11:59pm On Oct 27, 2015
DebbyChris:
1.true 2.No idea, pls which textbook are u using? i can't find that in my new school chemistry.
Lol. Get yourself LAMLAD, sis. Depending only on new school is risky. Lamlad is a kind of jamb preparatory textbook: it helps you revise topics effectively. The textbook's succint explanations are impeccable. And you'll find some vital information (which new school didn't provide) in it.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by DebbyChris(f): 4:53am On Oct 28, 2015
[quote author=Geofavor post=39432033] How much is the LAMLAD?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan Churns Out 222 First Class Graduates. / Download Full Jamb Book: The Last Days At Forcados High School / UNN Sacks Professor Ugochukwu Uche Who Exposed Colleague’s Fraud- SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.