Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder (738 Views)

Femi Aribisala Asks Zahra Buhari A Question Over Aso Rock Clinic Statement / Lere Olayinka Writes Buhari A Letter Over Bola Ige's Reopened Murder Case / Scan News Really HATES Buhari. Read This! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by igbobuigbo: 4:46pm On Sep 15, 2015
This is a short response to the article in this link

https://www.nairaland.com/2600307/why-igbos-hate-buhari-nation

So, there is the above article written by a Yoruba news paper, Nation, in which Igbos were accused of hating Buhari simply because they did not vote for him in 2003 (against Obasanjo), in 2007 (against Yaradua), in 2011 (against Jonathan) and in 2015 (against Jonathan). The article went on to claim that all of these happened even when, on two occasions, Buhari had chosen Igbo VPs, being in the cases of 2003 and 2007.

A few things to keep in mind: (1) Non of Buhari's competitors in all these elections was Igbo. (2) It is likely that if Igbos had joined the North and voted for Buhari against Obasanjo, Obj would not have had a second term in 2003. (3) Yaradua was also a northerner, so regardless of whoever the Igbos voted for in the 2007 election between Buhari and Yaradua, it would still be win-win for the North. (4) Ojukwu, an Igbo icon, contested in 2007, but did not get the Igbo vote (as would have been the case with SW vote, if Ojukwu was a Yoruba).

My questions are these:

1. In all of the 3 elections that Buhari lost, who did the SW vote for in the majority?
2. Who did the North Central vote for in the majority?
3. Who did the SS vote for in the majority?

4. In 2011, a Yoruba was the VP to Buhari, but Buhari did not win the SW vote. Do SWners hate Buhari that resulted in that loss?

5. If indeed Igbo hate Buhari, for which reason they did not vote for him 4 times out of 4, could we also say that the SW hates Buhari for not voting him 3 times out of 4? After all, the difference between 4 and 3 is just 1. Can the same be said of the NC, as well as the SS (this also 4 out of 4 times)?

If the answer to question 5 is no, why did Nation, a Yoruba-owned newspaper, pick ONLY the Igbo as the subject of this non-voting centered hatred for Buhari? Is there anything we need to know clearly regarding the Igbo-Yoruba political relationship that the article is covertly passing across?

I am just surprised at the rabid turn the Nigerian politics is taking. In America there are staunch party people who would vote their party, Democratic or Republican, no matter the angel that the other party presents. There are others who move across party lines and vote for individuals. In no case has any voter been tagged a hater of any candidate just for not voting for them. In Nigeria, the SE has played national politics with PDP since its inception, even not voting Ojukwu who contested in APGA. Does that mean they also hate Ojukwu? Same for NC, SS, and even the NE and NW, who have all been with PDP all these years. Were Igbos expected to dump PDP, a party they have always voted for to start voting for Buhari just because the NE, NW, and NC did so after 3 times of not doing so?

Many people have different reasons for not voting for Buhari. In 1998 I voted for Obasanjo against Falae. Subsequently, I was not opportune to vote in the last three elections because I have been out of the country. However, my principled rejection of Buhari from the distance is because I find it odd that in a country of 170 million people, a 70+ year old retired military man and former head of state who has no earth-shaking record of achievement and super capabilities (that are lacking in others) would repeatedly be angling to lead a country again in 2015, 32 years after he took office the first time. Now that he has succeeded, I wish him well, but as a young Nigerian under 40, I feel that Nigeria's future is being taking away from the young people by gerontocracy. This belief is being affirmed by the appointments Buhari has made so far, in which many of his appointees are over 60 years old (please explore link below).

https://www.nairaland.com/2599774/president-buharis-appointments-age-gender#38016071.

To conclude, I am asking that the Yoruba media should quit these inciting articles that attempt to pit Igbos against others. They should understand that democracy means the right to have a choice on whom your leader should be. Igbos have respected Yoruba choice, Yoruba should do the same.

As for the Igbos, I am personally a bit mortified that you are expectant of anything from somebody you have rejected repeatedly. That is an ''un-Igbotic'' behavior that should be left for those fellow Nigerians who do not consider it a big deal to be happy to reap where they did not sow. I know that the country has a system of ''Federal Quota'', in which every group should by law be represented, but as a proud people, I find it quite degrading that certain groups of Igbo in the opposition parties (PDP/APGA, etc) would be angry at the current lopsided appointments from Buhari.

In my opinion, the only Igbos who should be shouting for positions are the few Igbos in APC who voted for Buhari. And, the fact that they should be shouting, rather than being given what is due them without having to ask for it, justifies some of the reasons why many other Igbos would not vote for Buhari, even in 2019.

Copy>>>Lalasticlala (front page please)

4 Likes

Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by ichoku: 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2015
Nwa afo Igbo thank you. It is a pity that the so-called most-sophisticated group in Nigeria lack sense of democracy. It is equally surprising that even the North understands democracy far better than them despite their (North's) feudal form of social organisation. We voted whom we want to vote as we have always done. Who ever calls our rights not to vote a candidate hate and their own right not to vote a candidate love is silly.

Please for the author of that inciting article in the nation, stop goading Buhari. I know that when he is too gone in his folly your people will still turn around and point at the few sane men like the Afenifere elders and say that your group were in the forefront of cautioning him.

1 Like

Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by igbobuigbo: 5:04pm On Sep 15, 2015
ichoku:
Nwa afo Igbo thank you. It is a pity that the so-called most-sophisticated group in Nigeria lack no sense of democracy. It is equally surprising that even the North understands democracy far better than them despite their (North's) feudal form of social organisation. We voted whom we want to vote as we have always done. Who ever calls our rights not to vote a candidate hate and their own right not to vote a candidate love is silly.

Please stop goading Buhari. I know that when he is too gone in his folly your people will still turn around and point at the few sane men like the Afenifere elders and say that your group were in the forefront of cautioning him.

Nwanna, thanks. I am surprised that in Nigeria democracy is suddenly no longer what it is universally.
Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 15, 2015
hehehehehe
Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by DonXavi(m): 5:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
This people are their level of propaganda against the Igbos is really mind boggling.
The sleeplessness they have on Igbo matters goes beyond nairaland. They hate Igbos so much but do not wanna see igbos secede to have their own country. They carry on with their misinformation and half-truth against the igbos with an evil intent to cause disaffection between them and the rest of the country.

I just want to remind this Yoruba propagandists that diaris God ooo!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by pazienza(m): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2015
Igbobuigbo, NL missed you. I hope you are now back for good.

You must have realized by now that Nigerians have set a rule for Ndiigbo, a rule that they continuously change just to ensure that Ndiigbo remain villains in any scenario.

Thanks for this well written article. If only there was a way this article can be forwarded to Sun newspaper to publish.
Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by igbobuigbo: 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2015
pazienza:
Igbobuigbo, NL missed you. I hope you are now back for good.

You must have realized by now that Nigerians have set a rule for Ndiigbo, a rule that they continuously change just to ensure that Ndiigbo remain villains in any scenario.

Thanks for this well written article. If only there was a way this article can be forwarded to Sun newspaper to publish.

Thanks Pazienza.

Do you know anyone in the Sun Newspaper? I can send it to them using a pseudonym (so that my Nairaland ID is protected) grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by Environer: 7:48pm On Sep 15, 2015
This is a very incisive rebuttal of the jaundiced Yoruba press. Thanks, OP.
Re: Who Hates Buhari?- A Quick Rejoinder by Francis5: 1:33am On Sep 16, 2015
Op on point, and why is this not on fp?

(1) (Reply)

A Brief Thoughtful Chronicle Of Saraki's Brouhaha. / Buhari OR Jonathan: Who Would U Choose If Ur Decision Is Final / Saraki Surrenders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.