|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,798,860 members, 6,688,279 topics. Date: Sunday, 23 January 2022 at 12:59 PM
|Make Money From Horticulture by growcatfish: 10:24pm On Sep 15, 2015|
Dear IRES KENYA is delighted to invite you to attend an upcoming 5 day training to be held in Nairobi, Kenya on 2nd November 2015. On HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTION AND MARKETING
In most countries marketing problems are currently regarded as beyond the scope of field-level agricultural extension workers who are the officers in direct contact with the farmers. Even when extension workers are able to identify marketing problems faced by farmers their lack of expertise in this field, or knowledge of appropriate sources of assistance, makes them unable to help. As the populations of the cities expand, farmers have the added responsibility of feeding not only the rural market but the growing distant urban markets. Therefore, the farmer has to take on commercial and marketing skills.
Marketing is the process by which the space between the producer and the consumer is bridged. The process obviously involves transport and techniques for minimizing crop losses. An effective distribution system will also require the establishment of rural businesses such as truck drivers and packaging manufacturers, contractors and wholesalers. The production/marketing chain is a two way process. Produce flows from the rural areas into the cities; money and market information should flow back. As tastes in the city market evolve, the rural community can use this market information to target its production accordingly.
This course aims to enhance farmers’ ability in commercial production planning, management of vegetables, tropical fruits, flowers and ornamental plants and to focus on crops produced in order to make it available commercially, particularly with those which have high market potential in participants’ home countries.
Who should attend?
This course is intended for various actors in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
• Have a clear definition of the concept of horticulture
• Have an outline of the key factors in horticultural production
• Gain knowledge on the salient features of floriculture, vegetable and fruit sectors
• Understand on the post-harvest handling of horticultural crops
• Gain knowledge on the techniques applied in management of pests in horticultural crops
• Gain knowledge about the horticultural market development
Outline of topics to be covered in the program:
• Farm layout and design
• soil fertility evaluation and management
• chemical and hormone treatments
• chemical and organic fertilization
• Irrigation techniques
Vegetable and Flower Production
• Production schedule planning
• introduction to micro-propagation techniques
• crop maintenance
• Quality and grading criteria
• Post- harvest management
Tropical Fruit Production
• Plant propagation techniques
• Pruning and training techniques
• Crop maintenance
• Quality and grading criteria
• Off-season fruit production
• Post-harvest management
• Seasonal supply and price analysis
• Production contract and credit financing
• Packaging and presentation
• Production cooperatives
The training fee for this course is KES 75,000 for residents of Kenya and USD 1,100 for non-residents. You may register as a group or individual.
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request to a minimum of 4 participants.
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request to a minimum
For further enquiries:firstname.lastname@example.org or 07039471943 06068138814
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52