Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area (3064 Views)

Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? / Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by scholti: 5:33pm On Sep 16, 2015
The Igbo Language: a complete methodology of word creation in any area for knowledge

We must look at the Igbo language as a breathing transcendental being rather than just a language of proverbs and Idioms. It is a language involved in a continuity that must yield to new realities to exist.

Every generation must remould language to suit its reality in an ever-evolving world. Language reflects the extent of a people’s civilisation. Seventeenth century Igboland had no universities and books of sciences like medieval Mali and the surrounding nations and so the language saw no need to create a heightened level of vocabulary and new elements of grammar, beyond its level of existence. Today it is different. The Igbo language needs new words to survive, hundreds of thousands of them, that cover every linguistical need of humanity.

We must not expect the Igbo language to record and communicate knowledge with its traditional grammar, effectively, because it cannot, the burden would be too heavy on it. In another thread, I created a comprehensive list of affixes, attune to this reality, that would allow the Igbo language to function systematically (this essay on word-generation compliments it).

The aim of this essay is to provide a comprehensive guideline on word creation in the Igbo language. It aims to inspire – 'igwe bu ike' - the creation of an Igbo language that is rich with a broad and modern vocabulary. Some of the English words here already have Igbo equivalents but I have created new words for them to serve as synonyms (and thus militate against the boredom of a single or few words). Through these methods below, I have created many words of which few (1000+) are on this site in different threads.

Extension of meaning. Between 50-75% of English words are of Latin origin and they all trace back to common, relatable, themes, experiences, situations and archetypes like the sun, moon, length, beauty, sadness, etc, exploited for their ability to describe human situations. All these themes and archetypes are embedded in most of the words we speak in English. Humans from time immemorial have sought ways to name phenomena, plants, trees etc, around them and to do so they reached out to their inward and external experiences. For example the root words, ‘luc, lum, lun, lus, lust’ from which words like ‘translucent’ (nyefeọku/egbukeìhè) come from, means ‘light’.
The suffix ‘—pod’ comes from Greek and means foot [Greek pous, pod-, foot.]. The root words ‘crit-,’ and ‘crisi-‘ come from Greek meaning judge. (Greek, κρίνειν (krinein), κρίσις (krisis).

I have touched briefly on extending words on my affix thread but here I would go into more detail.
I have exploited the stern, authoritative nature of the words, ‘ikpe’ and ‘iwu’ to create many words that reflects them attitudinally like recrimination (mpkesaikpe), elan (ikpeije), instinct (ikpeime), facility (ikpeaku), intellect (ikpe ama), practical (ikpeoru) commonsensical (ikpeaka/agwa), prudent (ikpeuche), acumen (ikpeọsọ), savvy (ikpeomume), canny (ikpemma), shrewd (ikpenkọ), injustice (ikpefe, ikpemehie, ikpeda), repercussion (ikpeutali), district (ogbeiwu), domain (ubiiwu), authority (ikikeiwu), jurisdiction (iwuokiriki).

I have also exploited words like the sun (anwu), moon (ọnwa), afternoon (ehihie), bitter (ilu) etc for their abilities to give meaning to diverse human situations. Their various natures and functions make them powerful for creating new words. Once again, I return to the fountainhead of English vocabulary: Latin. The word ‘brilliant’ for example traces back to Latin, and it means ‘to shine’. Here are examples I have coined using the word ‘anwu’ (sun): percipient (anwunghota), ichaanwu (clarify), clarification (mgbanyeanwu), mmepeanwu (illumination), luminescence (zibaehihie) etc.

Words from different categories can be extended, animals, plants etc. I have extended the meaning of stream (iyi) to mean source or something voluminous i.e. eloquent (ireiyi), vine (iyiọṅụṅụubi).

I have extended the word, ‘nnunu (bird)’ to mean liberty, freedom. Here are examples: entitlement (nnunuahu/kwesi), flexibility (nnunuahu), prerogative (nnunuiwu), latitude (efennunu), impunity (nnunuọjọọ), immunity (nnunuiwu), dispensation (nnunuoge), free-minded (uchennunu).
Inventing anchor words or affixes. Anchor words/affixes are indispensible words that are tied to many words. For example in the list of scientific instruments I invented, the affix ‘ozen-’ (-meter) which stands for instruments, because the native words that would have fulfilled the role were overstretched - and thus I came up with the affix to serve scientific instruments. And instead of borrowing over the words, it is preferable to come up with a made-up word, if the words or affixes are themselves borrowed.

In my list of 97o affixes, I invented under 20 affixes that fulfil important roles, in the various disciplines they serve. One of such affix I came up with is ‘-zina’ to serve the suffix ‘-ium’, which means a container or compartment. I felt the extant Igbo words to be overburdened with roles and uncontextual. Examples of words ending with ‘-ium’ are herbarium (ahihiazina), auditorium (oluzina)

FUNCTIONAL TRANSLATION. This is translating words according to their roles. For example, I was able to exploit the aquatic nature of the word ‘beaver’ to come up with a word for it, ‘okemmiri’, and many others like, ‘mmirime (emotion)’, which literally means ‘great inward depth’ in Igbo; wine (ọṅụṅụubi), which literally translates as ‘field drink’ (‘mmanya’ can serve as alchohol or as a generic term for drinks); nkweego (cheque); mgbochieoyiura (blanket); ball (egwuriokpa). Where length allows, functional translation is the best method for translating words. Unfortunately, word-meanings are not always straightforward. I advocate a 8-12 word-length in translating over words. Which brings me to the next point.

HINTING AT THE MEANING OF WORDS. Sometimes the meanings of words are just too complex to contain them in single words. I avoid sentences or phrases posing as words because they do not transport around well. I want compact words that can adapt to different grammatical settings efficiently. Many of the scientific instruments I translated into Igbo hint at meanings because their overall meanings are too complex to be captured in whole words.

FUSING IGBO DIALECTS WITH IZUGBE. The Igbo language is an exceedingly rich language with plenty of dialects and sub-dialects as well as a huge inheritance of proverbs, riddles, idioms etc. I am all for the complete emptying of the dialects into Izugbe. The Igbo dialects have had their day. They can’t stand the combined onslaught of Izugbe and English; they would ultimately loosen and fade if they do not wed to Izugbe.
Now is the time to integrate them into Izugbe to ensure their survival. They all have rich stores of vocabulary that would enrich the Igbo language. Izugbe can absorb every Igbo dialect. Izugbe would continue having the upper hand over the Igbo dialects because it is actively written and studied at the highest levels of academia. And many new words, have come into Igbo through it. Examples of dialect words are agalaga (anchor), agbantu (gate), arọnka (style), deghedeghe (soft), deyi (cold), chichiriri (tight and woven together), bande (catch), anaghukwa (bicycle), amimva (rafters), aji (belt), akahi (last year), akparawa (young man), akirisya (oyster).

REVIVING OLD WORDS. Where possible certain Igbo words should be revived. In old Igbo names and proverbs, one comes across Igbo words that are no more in use (at least in popular usage); many of them can be revived. Across Igbo communities, there are ‘unique’ words used to describe limited/vanishing phenomena, these can be reassigned to other functions. Here are some old Igbo words of restricted usage that deserve general circulation: ete (climbing rope), gidigidi (great), garagara (clever), gadangada (over clever), agiga (corner).

ONOMATOPOEIA. Creating words according to their sounds. Last Saturday, I went to a park near my house to take in the sights of nature; while there, I heard the sound of a nearby wind, ‘shishishi’ and I was struck at how alive it was and how nature’s language can feed the Igbo vocabulary as it has others. Languages around the world have exploited the sounds of nature, water, birds, animals etc to create new words. As humans, ‘word-sounds’ form a legitimate part of our linguistic heritage. They are not new to the Igbo language (it is afterall a tonal language), but they can be actively exploited to create more words. I appropriated the word down ‘shishishi’ as an Igbo word to signify the movement of wind and more extensively to indicate quiet footsteps.

In the English language they are many Onomatopoeic words i.e. ‘roar’, ‘zip’, ‘croak’ ‘moo’, ‘mew’, ‘chirrup’ etc, and many animals have been named after their sounds. Onomatopoeia sounds in the Igbo language would form a powerful layer that would go beyond their primary habitats; we can exploit streams, vehicular movements etc for the meanings/wisdom they tell us through their sounds. Objects with harsh sounds can get harsh definitions to create mental associations.

TAKING EXAMPLES FROM OTHER LANGUAGES. Languages the world over face the challenges of coining new words. How languages go about coining new words can offer us insight into the process of vocabulary generation. For example in Spanish, one word for appetizer is ‘abreboca’ which literally means ‘open mouth’. The word ‘surpass’ comes from French and breaks down to two words, ‘sur’(over), ‘pass’ and through this simple amalgamation a host of meanings are achieved – everything from excess to conquest. In German for instance the word ‘uber-’(over) has the same ubiquitous role and flexibility. I have adapted the Igbo word ‘elu’ to new meanings i.e eluihu (surface), eluugwu(surmount) etc. By being alert to the ways languages go about creating words, we can get cues about creating new words

EXPLOITING THE NEW AFFIXES. One of the affixes I created was ‘oz-’ to serve as a reversive affix in response to the reversive affixes of English (and other languages) – ‘dis-’, ‘de-’, ‘a-’ - and beyond. When placed infront of Igbo words, it reverses it, i.e. oz-oyi (get rid of cold), oz-uda (get rid of sound), oz-akukoala (ahistorical), oz-mmuta (unlearn), oz-ebubeoyi (defrost). Similarly, the affix, ‘eme-’ (though not entirely new) which is the English equivalents of ‘en-’, ‘em-’ (both signifying an inward movement), allows the inlaying of words i.e. eme+okpu (cap)+wo – emeokpuwo (ennobled); emeugowo (literally means ‘enfeathered’) - enthrone; emendina (embed); emeokwute (solid foundation) . Affixes aid the smooth production of words and meaning.

TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IGBO'S NATURAL AFFIXES. I advocate the mixture of the traditional Igbo grammar and new grammar. Every Igbo affix across all its dialects and Izugbe carries the seed of regeneration. The traditional Igbo affixes like ‘m’ ‘a’ ‘u’ etc, can be exploited to created new words i.e. uzughi (flawed); onyonyoagharia (retelevise) – the ‘-agharia (redo)’ is here used in a new context.

APPROXIMATION. By finding words that tangentially hint at meanings, words can be generated. I have exploited this method to create words like fable (okwuokuko), which literally means ‘words of a chicken’, which is another way of saying ‘unreal’.

COMBINING TWO IGBO WORDS. Two Igbo words can be fused together to accurately capture the essence of a meaning. For example to arrive at the word for purge, I combined, ‘hicha’ and ‘kpocha’, ‘hichapkọcha’. The word ‘purge’ goes beyond mere cleaning (hicha), it involves violence. By fusing together these two words the meaning is preserved in Igbo. It is important that the subtleties and register of a word is
respected.

VISUALIZATION. Taking advantage of mental images can go a long way in creating words. For example I have been able to create 'ugwuibu (heavy mountain)' for the word 'immense'. Words call up mental images in our mind and they can be harnessed to create powerful words.

And finally, a close look at the meanings of Latin- and Greek-derived words (of which the English language is a great inheritor), would reveal that they took inspiration from the world around them – colours, stones, places, books, people etc - in naming plants, animals, creating vocabularies for the sciences etc. By taking advantage of the metaphoric and poetical words qualities around us, many new words can be created (find below 200-plus words).

1. gender- udiokike
2.butter= udeachicha
3.confidence = okweonwe.
4.mobilisation= nchikotaahu/oru
5.picture = usese
6.apple= mkpuruuhie
7.incurvate= ntubeime
8.splatter- gbasapiasa
9.nhuchi= belt
10.skittles= olaegwu
11.bonnet=nchedoikpu
12.brick =aja+wuru= ajawuru
13.ball= egwuriọkpa
14.drop= hapuda
15.commingle= enyikota
16.ally- enyiaka/ru
17.Purge= hichakpọcha
18.Confabulation- ọnukota
19.Explication- ntọwaokwu
20.complied= gbazugo
21.sideshow= ngosiakuku
22.confounded= gbabiisi
23.standstill= nguzootuebe
24.vivify= gba-ndu
25.appraisal= nkiriogegbe
26.cyclorama= anyaokiriki
27.prospect=ogegbembasa
28.panorama= nghasaogegbe
29.perspectives= ogegbeiche
30.multifarious=odiotutu/otutuaka/otutuuzo
31.disorderliness = onodungharaghara
32.unsound= azughi
33.flawed=uzughi
34.tenet= iwuaka
35.suppression = nbiaelu
36.patrimony= iyinna/osinna
37.desire= ọchọanya
38.bequest= iyinye
39.heritage= iyinatara
40.pedigree= iyibiara
41.fount= iyioma
42.provenance= iyisi
43.cognition= maramata
44.supersonic=ọsọkacha
45.carefree=agbasaghị
46.leisurely= ijeejula
47.sedate= ugwuejula
48.protract=ọkpaejula
49.ejupụtakarịkwa =awash
50.working-class people= ndiọrudum
51.rarefied= terakadum
52.abstruse= itiringhota
53.recondite= itiriakọ
54.sparkle= tuọanwu
55.coruscation= nchakeọla
56.command= ọnu/akaiwu
57.protectorate= alanchedoiwu
58.district= ogbeiwu
59. domain= ubiiwu
60.authority= ikpeiwu
61.jurisdiction= iwuokiriki
62.luminescence-zizaehihie
63.inundate= gbadommiri
64.overwhelm= gbojommiri
65.submerge= okpurummiri
66.insubstantial= ibuikuku
67.inconsequential= uruikuku
68. meaningless= okwuikuku
69.glitter=tosisiọla
70.privilege= nnunuiche
71.entitlement= nnunukwesi
72.flexibility= nnunuahu
73.prerogative= nnunuiwu
74.latitude= efennunu
75.impunity= nnunuọjọọ
76.immunity= nnunuiwu
77.dispensation= nnunuome
78.free-minded= uchennunu
79.advocacy= nnochiteikpe
80.impationality= ikpeetiti
81.loyalty= ikpeenyi
82.moderation = ikpeonwe
83.veneration= nsọpuruomimi
84.broad-mindedness= uchegbasara
85.rattle= haraoke
86.jangle= ikoroigwe
87.Ikoro= ikoroile
88.warmth= obiehihie
89.adoration= oromaanya
90.fondness= udaraobi
91.sunny= ihuanwu
92.cheerful= juruudara
93.refinement= ehihieagwa
94.convincing= ehiehieanya
95. valid= oluikpe
96.chance= akalakaeefu
97.plausible= puruiwu
98 persuasive= puruikpe
99.lucid= anwucha
100.rational= ikpeogugu
101.conclusive- mmesiaiwu
102. eloquent = ireiyi
102.coherent,= gbakorita
103.recrimination= mpkesaikpe
104 arrogant= nkoobi
105 affiliation – nkelekota
106 film= nkirianya
107 treat= ikpaikpe
108 dramaturgy= nkaejije
109 paramouncy= ezekacha
110 poise= okwaugo
111 elan= ikpeije
112 achievements= nrupurute
113 artifice= anyaikpe
114 canons= ọbankpa
115 instinct= ikpeime/nkoime
116 potential= nkaime
117 faculty= ikikeime
118 kpuda=kpudaomi
119 facility= ikpeaku
120 flair=ikikeiche
121 precocious= nkọgabiga
122 erudition= agwaakwo
123 genius= nkaiche
124 aptitude= agwanka
125 ingenuity= ikikenka
126 cleverness= ikikeisi,nkọ
127 nous= ikikeomume
128 upper storey= elu-ulo
129 mental capacity= ikikeuche
130 brainpower= ikeụbụrụ
131 intellect = ikpe ama
132 grey matter= umi agba-ntụ
133 native wit= anwu amaala
134 appropriate=nwereikpe
135 observant= nleleọsọ
136 discerning= nchabanyeanwu
137 effective= mmuputaoru
138 heuristic= nchoputaonwe
139 practical= ikpeoru
140 commonsensical= ikpeije/aka/agwa
141 prudent= ikpeuche
142 acumen= ikpeọsọ
143 acuity= nkoelulo
144 savvy= ikpeomume
145 canny=ikpemma
146 shrewd= ikpenkọ
147 discriminating= anwuanya
148 perceptive=nduanya/ nneneanwu
149 nimble= ijenfe
150 lithe= ligiliike
151 acrobatic= ufufeahu
152 agile= mpirisiọsọ
153 spry= okpaọsọ
154 limber= ahu+jete
155 nimble= ọkpandu
156 dexterous= nzaakaabua
157 adroit= nkọ+aka
158 astute= anya+mma(knife)
159 sharp-witted= anyaoso/nko
160 insightful= juruanya
161 percipient= anwu+nghota
162 ihu/obi+anwu=perspicacious
163 jideluanwu= highlight
164 ichananwu= clarify
165 ngbanyeanaw= clarification
166 Nkà na usoro =methodology
167 aka ji aku= chancellor/economic manager
168 guess = tuọ ile/ ọnu
169 competency= nmaraọru
170 proficiency= nmaraaka
171 aharamma= asymetry
172 ezeanwu= splendour
173 Nbilianwu= enlighten
174 ngbakeanwu= enlightening
175 nbiakọọma= convinience
176 decoration - nchimma, nbamma
177 outfitted= sonyereezi
178 ogbeọha= conventional
179 ndu agamebu=wiked life
180 nkwunyeanwu= illumination
181 embossed= rakwasi
182 mmepeanwu= illumination
183 lopsided= akukummehiewo
184 wholesale = ereùkwù
185 household = ụlọniile
186 brocade= uweaku
187 ụlọnkuzi=classroom
188 condemn= kpedacha
189 Okwulu= master chef
190 emperor = ezenile
191 purpose= nchọuzọ /eme
192 repurposed= nchọemeaghariawo
193 quintessence = agwaakwa
194 injustice = ikpefe, ikpemehie, ikpeda
195 invited = obiabatara
196 repercussion= ikpeutali
197 mankind/humanity= mmadudum, umummadu,mmadunile
198 affirm = kwajike
199 island= etitimmiri, alaonwe
200 conquer= gadoagha
201 kpanye= unravel
202 ogbanaragha= refugee
203 impetus = ikpeije/ihu
204 operculum= oberenpkuchi
205 adjacent= ndinaakuku
206 decorum= mmaomume
207 chrysalis= olaedompe
208 cacodemon= ajọmmuọ
209 brontology= mmutaégbèeluigwe
210 auspicious= puruọganihu
211 primeval= uwaizi
212 adornments = ngwamma
213 abundance= elu uba

4 Likes

Re: The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by scholti: 9:52pm On Sep 16, 2015
This is to complement the section on onomatopoeia.

300 Onomatopoeia examples
http://www.poetandknowit.com/english-definitions/onomatopoeia-examples.aspx

Birds with Onomatopoeic names.
http://www.writtensound.com/index.php?term=bird

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by chijiblaze(m): 4:19pm On Jan 16, 2017
It's like you're forming your own new language.
Well, I like the effort,...Jisie Ike n'ọrụ...but somethings like new words and prefixes might not be considered to be Igbo.
I'm a purist!
Re: The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by ChinenyeN(m): 5:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
He's not forming a new language. Rather, it's more along the lines of introducing a new mode of speech that he believes will cover areas where the current language structure does not.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by Sinistami(m): 10:35pm On Jul 06, 2018
Brilliant guy although I don't understand Igbo I like the effort Iam Ijaw by the way. it's good really good.
Re: The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by Sinistami(m): 10:36pm On Jul 06, 2018
chijiblaze:
It's like you're forming your own new language.
Well, I like the effort,...Jisie Ike n'ọrụ...but somethings like new words and prefixes might not be considered to be Igbo.
I'm a purist!

Now I remember why I hate Purists.
Re: The Igbo Language: A Complete Methodology For Word Creation In Any Area by Sinistami(m): 10:41pm On Jul 06, 2018
This is better than being hung up on trying to Prove superiority to other tribes like your man Eberejesus is doing. or being too hung up in the past with things like Civil war pity party or I dear say it Biafra. am so jealous I can't speak any Nigerian native language except pidgin. Too bad

(1) (Reply)

Spiritual Forum For More Knowledge And Prosperity / Myth Buster:the Origin Of Yoruba / The Statue Of Breast In Oromia Region, Ethiopia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.