Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB (33008 Views)

A Reply To Reno Omokri By Lauretta Onochie On Hillary Clinton's Election Funding / Some Ministers Are Squatting In Abuja - Amaechi / Buhari's Ministers Are Practical, Energetic And Of Good Reputation~The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by chichriso: 7:33am On Sep 17, 2015
he is only confuse and need somebody to remind him that we are no longer in military regime

[b] Anyway click my signatures below...[/b ]
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by oweman: 7:35am On Sep 17, 2015
If we believe that politicians only make noise, is Bubu exempt from this noise making?

All this sponsored write ups are by politicians must you be allowed to deavour Nigeria ? You cry cry cry Buhati told the world its this month of September he will be assembling politicians as ministers and already your greed so overwhelm you you went on wailing . You are only preparing for your crying yo be head lougther .

2 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by front247: 7:38am On Sep 17, 2015
Buhari is an illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by FearGodinall: 7:39am On Sep 17, 2015
kenny987:

Which one are u? Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina? You now interpret plain English for those that are slow on the uptake abi?
Assistant Interpreter General of the Federation.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by dyn1800: 7:39am On Sep 17, 2015
Most corrupt politicians dwell on part constitution that favours their frivolous activities. Despite no ministers the country still works better than when we have those that are there to recoup their electoral sponsorship fund.

4 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by ellabooz(f): 7:39am On Sep 17, 2015
kITATITA:
Barcanistar really thinks that the President or anybody in government is reading his gibberish. I've seen him at various times call himself opposition, analyst, etc. He's non of these; just a floater fighting for his daily bread. But employers these days check the social network ID of prospective employees. The question is, will you employ Barcanistar if he walks into your office for a job? I think the minion, who posits nothing and represents nothing has a long dwelling on Nairaland for food.
You felt threatened by his wits? He is simple a genius in politics analysis so deal with it. Everybody must not be an employee. He is boss already .
TonyeBarcanista I love your piece

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by ilyas26(m): 7:43am On Sep 17, 2015
Mogidi:

@the emboldened, would Buhari appoint ministers considering they're "distractions"?

He will appoint them because the constitution mandates him to, if not he wouldn't

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I'm compelled to write this piece not to spite President Muhammadu Buhari but to cure his misconception of ministers. Earlier today, Mr President was quoted to have made a statement that suggest that ministers are not to relevant in the running of government. According to President Buhari

UNDERSTANDING Ministers and Civil Servants Roles:
Ministers:

Firstly, we have to appreciate the purpose of ministers of the federation. We all we agree that all political parties and candidates standing for elections come with their own program and agenda. These programs are highlighted in their respective document called their Manifesto. The Manifesto is usually in concordance with the overall ideology of the respective parties. When a party's Presidential candidate get elected, he assemble a team of men and women of intellectual standing and believers of his vision to help formulate policies, supervise implementations and defend these policies before the public to actualise the vision and fulfil the President's electoral programs. These group of people are called Ministers. The loyalty of the ministers are to the occupant of the President's office, the country and in most cases the ruling party. Ministers sit and deliberate on policy issues and strategy with the president

Civil Servants:
Every country have a workforce that carry out day-2-day activities of the government in power. We all agree that it is impossible for every government to come on board with their own workforce every 4-8years, hence the country provide for a 'permanent' workforce that will work with every administration. This workforce is called the Civil Service. They are non-partisan career people. They are not to help any political party or candidate formulate policies but are to work with every ruling party and administration to IMPLEMENT policies. They are technocrats and bureaucrats. Their loyalty is not to the ruling party or individual in power but to the "Office of the President" and the Country. They have NO business deliberating on policy issues and strategy with the president or his party. They only take instruction. Let's see a case study...

Case Study: Petroleum Ministry
In the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, there is the Minister, the Permanent Secretary and career Civil Servants, and other agencies and department (eg NNPC, PPPRA etc) under the ministry.

The Minister sit with the President to formulate policies and programs for the sector in line with the President's agenda. S/he prepares budget for the ministry, see to the implementation of this program/policies (supervision) and is answerable to the President, the party and the public. Statutorily, S/he is the Chairperson of the NNPC. She also supervises other department and agencies under her ministry on behalf of the President.

The Permanent Secretary is the Account officer of the ministry and most senior civil servant(rank) in the ministry. S/he is responsible for the implementation of the Minister's policies/program. S/he is the head of the ministerial tender board BUT any contract approved by the board has to be countersigned by the minister (to ensure that they are in tune with the Minister's/President's agenda). He/she is not a member of the Cabinet, neither can S/he replace the minister as the Chairperson of NNPC except S/he resigns and is appointed minister thereafter.

The roles of the minister and permanent secretary are distinct and straight forward. The importance of ministers cannot be over-emphasised. It is instructive to note that Nigeria is not an isolated case when it comes to ministers/permanent secretaries. The United States for instance have Under-Secretaries, which is Nigeria equivalent of Permanent Secretaries, and Secretaries which is ministers equivalent.

Contraty to Buhari's perception, ministers are not for 'noisemaking', neither are they meant to 'fill space' except the incompetent and clueless ones. Without cabinet ministers, a country will be likened to one on 'Auto-piloting'. More importantly, our constitution provide for offices of Ministers just as it provide for the offices of the President and Vice President.

To be fair with the President, his perception of Ministers is inappropriate. I wonder what prompted him to utter such statement when he was a former minister under the General Olusegun Obasanjo military regime between 1977-79. Is he trying to say that he was a 'noisemaking' minister in General Obasanjo cabinet?

May God Bless Us All
@TonyeBarcanista you better go and commit suicide. I think that is better and faster than this slow death you are experiencing cos of Buhari.

Even if Buhari appoint your miserable tribal men as minister, you will still have 101 reasons to complain.

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by GaniLAb(m): 7:46am On Sep 17, 2015
Paid agent

2 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by ismyheal75: 7:47am On Sep 17, 2015
Most people talk before they think, they don't think before they talk ..... a very common attribute of the wailing wailers.

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by popcykaylah(m): 7:47am On Sep 17, 2015
this barcanista is soo jobless walahi..I wonder why write an article or letter to a president who doesn't know you existsmh

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by lastpage: 7:47am On Sep 17, 2015
mrvitalis:
Tonye... the fact that people actually praise ur analysis shows the level of decay in Nigerian educational system
Let me educate u a little bit
1) a minister is a mere representative of the president in that ministry
2) the president can pass his directives or give instructions based on his manifesto to any ministery WITH OR WITHOUT A MINISTER
3) ministers are only needed when the president wants to reduce the work load on him.... And if the president is not complaining..... I wonder y u should.. ....

Ministers are mere political appointments, used for political "patronage and compensation".
Some of them have zero-knowledge of their Ministry (Like Stealer Oduah!, FFK in Aviation) and end-up being the "tool of corruption" of such ministry.
It is the long-standing Technocrats who actually do the "nitty-gritty job' required to move the nation forward.

Lastapge!

popcykaylah:
this barcanista is soo jobless walahi..I wonder why write an article or letter to a president who doesn't know you existsmh

BTW: Dont mind Barcanista.
He is appearing more and more to be acting like someone looking for a Govt job....... by just criticising the Govt left, right and center!

Reminds me of Reuben Abatti and Segun Adeniyi (both Newspaper Noise makers who ended-up being called to become Government spokesperson LIARS!

He name is even now Tonye Barcanista .... and he is located in Abuja! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Dindondin(m): 7:48am On Sep 17, 2015
mrvitalis:
Tonye... the fact that people actually praise ur analysis shows the level of decay in Nigerian educational system
2) the president can pass his directives or give instructions based on his manifesto to any ministery WITH OR WITHOUT A MINISTER
3) ministers are only needed when the president wants to reduce the work load on him.... And if the president is not complaining..... I wonder y u should.. ....
the earlier the better we v intelligent mods on Nairaland that ll know the diff BTW a partisan thread and a thread that speaks the truth.
Last Bullet
This is another trash from Barcanistar.
It's either he has bribed someone on Nairaland to help him push any of his trash topic to the fp or the mods just think any trash like this can generate traffic for this site.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista
Your analysis is poor and nothing short of a scam
base on my Knowledge of previous happenings most of this minister do nothing, The perm Sec run the ministry while the minister does the stealing an talking

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by otunbakolawole(m): 7:49am On Sep 17, 2015
Couldn't have put it better.

mrvitalis:

4 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 17, 2015
VickJames:
Buhari made a very stupeed statement when he said ministers are not needed. Who submits economic plans, ideas, and manage the ministries?

So, Buhari is trying to say what Adesina did in the agricultural sector was mere noise-making? Or what some Akunyili in the information ministry was mere noise-making?
Is it the ministries where we still have old men with 1970 brains that he is calling technocrats? So, they've been technocrats all these years and all the ministries are more or less dead except with the timely intervention of some ministers who gave many of their jobs to some consulting firms to save them from mass sack.

A ministry without minister is like an army without a commander. They know how to kill, but they don't know who to kill.

When I say the economy is run by someone who lacks the mental capacity to think of the box, they'll say someone is wailing.
This analysis is only applicable in countries that appoint individuals with unquestionable character, work motivating attitude to work for the betterment, development of the nation. . IN Nigeria most ministerial appointments are mainly to compensate individual that helped in overcoming the hurdles of being president or people loyal to the party or president, they aren't chosen base on what they planned to offer the country. .

4 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by wiseguy(m): 7:49am On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Cc: Truckpusher Rozayx5 bomsilaga exxel erunz dunsman Nigerianvenom Phockphockman, nwadiuko1, ibokUtoroh, Koded, Ecoterrors, iPrinz20 Aprokoman, OcheJoseph, Dearpreye, Firefire, Francizy, Temitemi1, Hinwazaka Ecoterrors, Dumkem21 Biafranqueen, Mogidi, Mizmycoli, IsraeliAirforce, Candyrain, Ambivert, Rose2014, Provacateur, Opiaoku, NDPVF, Anonimi, Engineerboat, Talktimi, ahaika23, coolestrogue APCSucks Emperortj93 DebateNigeria and all patriots

Wailers Association of Nigeria (WAN)

5 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by seanjy4konji: 7:51am On Sep 17, 2015
who is barcanista

2 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by VickJames(m): 7:53am On Sep 17, 2015
blym:
This analysis is only applicable in countries that appoint individuals with unquestionable character, work motivating attitude to work for the betterment, development of the nation. . IN Nigeria most ministerial appointments are mainly to compensate individual that helped in overcoming the hurdles of being president or people loyal to the party or president, they aren't chosen base on what they planned to offer the country. .

They should've been planning this whole thing since the day they won the election. Everyone knows how ministries are been run. They hardly work except there's a project to be executed. Without the ministers, we don't know what the plan of the various ministries except going there and sleep like always.

I am not saying he should appoint politicians as ministers, he should've done his homework well before getting into office. The economy is now on standstill, no sense of direction whatsoever and we say we have ministries. Ministries my ass!
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by amazingspiderma: 7:54am On Sep 17, 2015
ellabooz:

You felt threatened by his wits? He is simple a genius in politics analysis so deal with it. Everybody must not be an employee. He is boss already .
TonyeBarcanista I love your piece
Most people against ministerial appointment don't really understand their importance.
nice one Barcanista.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Halaz(m): 7:55am On Sep 17, 2015
leave our President alone!!! the wailing wailers.

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by tete7000(m): 7:55am On Sep 17, 2015
One conclusion I can draw from the President comment is that he was taking from experience. He himself has been minister under military regime and basically I can deduce from this his comment that he knew nothing about the ministry he handled. He had to rely on civil servants during his time. He wasn't a professional and was neither a technocrat and thus he can't appreciate the roles these people can play in policy formulation. He is simply assessing life from his own perspective and thus can be forgiven.
However this portents grave danger for this country as any minister eventually appointed by the president is just for formality sake and the president is likely not going to take their input serious. I foresee a situation in which the president sidelines his ministers and seek to talk to his civil servant via the permanent secretary.
Finally if the president believes ministers are noise makers, does it not by extension mean that the president himself is a noise maker since he has no experience as a technocrats?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by mrvitalis(m): 7:56am On Sep 17, 2015
Nigeria36:

So, there should be no ministers? Do u know why u are an illiterate? 'Cos u didn't understand TonyeBarcanista's 2nd paragraph, where he highlighted the role of ministers? Do u really know what policy formulation is? Are u sure u know the process? Ministers are policy makers, while civil servants implement those polices, under the watchful eyes of ministers. Merging the two processes will be counter-productive. U are an illiterate.
I hope u read my post...
If a president... Has a clear cut out policy in his mind. .... do he need a minister?
Yes ministers are important but not a most for any government to function well. ... .. There job can be neglected and still have an effective government

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 17, 2015
[b]Are people still taking that Booboonista seraiously? I have thrown down the gauntlet with him on wikes tribunal saga and I do same here with Buhari and his ministerial statement which to me is 100% spot on. Ministers are overhyped and merely am ambassador of the president in that ministry. However what has been d norm has been ministers taking on excess powers on themselves and joining in looting Nigeria.

Ministers are meant to make the presidency look good but selfishness has been their focus. They are noise makers... Presidential noise makers who only echo what the president says and wants.

Barcanista is just a tool. Take him serious at your own Peril.

I want to believe he just might be related to ffk or perhaps ffk was present at his naming ceremony and joined in praying for him inadvertently cursing him to be like him. There is no loyal bone in his body.

Give him an appointment now and he will sing like a bird just like ffk and he will begin singing buharis praise and kissing bottoms everywhere.

Bunch of loosers.[/b]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 17, 2015
Wailing Wailer Bercanista you go tire mumu 100%

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by lastpage: 8:03am On Sep 17, 2015
onismate:
I used to think barcanista was just a good analyst. He left nairaland. The return of tonyebarcanister is more deadly with great analytical spade and wicked punchlines. Keep it up. For those who think the Presidency doesn't visit nairaland or other online forum or blogs, that na lie. I can authoritatively tell you that top Government officials have e_warriors who look out for them.

Yea ...just like @Barcanista is doing right now! undecided undecided grin grin grin

e-warrior or hungry and jobless lads looking for "YAM to GOAT"! shocked shocked

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by ribbit: 8:04am On Sep 17, 2015
Splashme:

Constitutionally, the president needs a FEDERAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL (FEC) for various levels of approvals. FEC is composed of the president and his ministers and others

Barcanista is far more intelligent than you. You are angry with him because he criticises Buhari not because he doesn't make intelligent aguments
lmao.. And who appoints you the judge of people's intelligence.. The fact that you think the OP is intelligent shows you don't deserve to judge even the intelligence of a bug let alone human .. You are probably as intelligent as ant...

6 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Pius33(m): 8:04am On Sep 17, 2015
mrvitalis:

Thanks for this write up.
Lets learn to respect the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, with time shame go catch all these enemies of Nigeria. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Amorl(m): 8:07am On Sep 17, 2015
hinwazaka:

Learn about what you intend to speak about. The constitution mandates that for someone to be made a minister he must meet the same criteria that is mandated for a senator. He must be a member of a political party and must be well known to the political class. So PMB can not make a Perm.sec a minister.
Are you serious I wouldn't mind if u quote that part of the constitution and What about technocrats, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina belongs/belonged to what party?

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by StOla: 8:08am On Sep 17, 2015
mrvitalis:

You have said it all so succinctly.

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by vorigan: 8:08am On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

1. Ministers are not 'mere' representatives. You gotta read
2. The constitution and relevant laws still specified some duties of the minister. For instance, the Attoney-General must give a go-ahead before any Security Agency can prosecute any case. The Petroleum minister is the statutory chairperson of NNPC. The aforementioned roles cannot be performed by the President except he takes charge of the ministries like Obj did.
3. No sane government function without cabinet. Go figure!

Finally, I won't hesitate to ignore you indefinitely should you reply will abusive word(s).

. . . . . .minion, the Minister acts on behalf of the President . . . . . . . . . .the Attorney General/Minister of Justice are dual roles . . . . . . . . . .Nigeria as I know does not operate a collegial decision-making body . . . . . . . . .In a presidential system, "the Cabinet does not function as a collective legislative influence; rather, their primary role is as an official advisory council to the head of government. In this way, the President gets opinions and advice in upcoming decisions"

. . . . . . . .anyone can act on behalf of the president, so long as it's within the authority given by the president.

4 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by wristbangle: 8:09am On Sep 17, 2015
Tonyebarcanista, I most time keep quiet on your analysis which some are true and others are outrageous.

I don't know what's your fuss about Bubu appointing ministers or not along side your cohorts making noise here.

As far as he can deliver vehemently for Nigeria with or without their support, am in total allegiance with it but it will become an issue if his methods backfire. This is when I will spew words on his life.

I don't know know what's wrong with y'll these "Fi di Fi tanoids"

Another news : I just bought Bubu kerosene for N50. How much was that drunkard kerosene before he left power? cheesy

5 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

After The Rain Comes A Floody Apapa-Wharf Road - Photos / Dino Melaye Was Never Kidnapped - Sahara Reporters / See What LASG Is Doing To Major Dumpsites Across The State - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.