Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,188 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian (1054 Views)

Ex-biafran Commander, Ogbonnaya Oji, Is Dead / Biafran Soldiers Killed Thousands: The Genocide In Calabar & More / 20 Soldiers Died So Far – Avengers Sends Strong Message To President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by HungerBAD: 5:29am On Sep 17, 2015
Following what he termed neglect by successive governments, the National Patron of the Ex-Biafran Soldiers Association (EBSA), Dr Ramas Asuzu, said yesterday that over 500 former Biafran soldiers died in penury not long ago.

Asuzu, who disclosed this to newsmen at his country home, Nri, in Anaocha Council Area of Anambra State, blamed past governments in the former Eastern region for abandoning war veterans to their fate after the civil war of 1967-1970.

He attributed the alleged political problems of the Igbo to the neglect of war veterans who sacrificed their youthful age to defend the people of the area during the war.

He said: “For the Igbo to come out from their political calamity in the country, the souls and spirits of such people must be appeased. Ndigbo will suffer for 200 years in Nigeria if the spirits of these veterans and others who sacrificed their lives to defend the people are not appeased.

What governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano, and others did sometime this year and called it the burial of those who died during the war was a mockery of such great patriots.

“Ndigbo have a tradition on how to bury their loved ones and not that thing they did in Awka, which they called funeral of our fallen heroes.”

The National patron recalled that the Federal Government had last year announced the commencement of payment of monthly pensions to soldiers of the Nigerian Army who defected to fight on the side of Biafra during the Nigerian Civil War from 1967 to 1970.

According to him, the Federal Government stated that those to benefit in the arrangement would be ex-Biafran soldiers, who were of the Nigerian Army but defected to Biafra and were granted Presidential pardon by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, in 2000.

Asuzu, however, described the government’s pronouncement as a paper approval, and called for more commitment.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/09/500-ex-biafran-soldiers-died-in-penury/

1 Like

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by Truckpusher(m): 5:30am On Sep 17, 2015
That nigga below me has nothing to say. grin
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by fashoo2010(m): 5:32am On Sep 17, 2015
Hmmm...it is well with them
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by madridguy(m): 5:47am On Sep 17, 2015
Ok
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by OtunbaJega: 5:47am On Sep 17, 2015
grin
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by wasiudvd(m): 6:00am On Sep 17, 2015
200 Years? Lobatan!

1 Like

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by Femolacaster(m): 6:01am On Sep 17, 2015
And some deluded kanu's almajiris are still following the same path of destruction? Anyway, i wish u people goodluck in your mission.

5 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by menix(m): 6:17am On Sep 17, 2015
They only wanted to die in penury...

If my Dad could continue life after his active years of the war, I don't see y dey should allow laziness take a better part of them with exception of those who got disabled..

Well, RIP to our patriots...
Ur death won't b in vain, we will get to the promise land..

1 Like

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by omenka(m): 6:56am On Sep 17, 2015
From second Niger bridge to payment of the ex soldiers, everything Jonathan did for that region was nothing but a fraud.

Can't believe how an entire ethnic group allowed themselves to be punked continuously by the most foolish leader this country's ever had, simply because he appended "Azikiwe" to his name.

What a shame.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by OgundeleT(m): 7:09am On Sep 17, 2015
they are rebels and not a soldier bcus the world didnt recongnise them then

2 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by erikcantona: 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
We there children. will fight again and win this time! Thats The. Only way to appease them!! Iseee

3 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by bonechamberlain(m): 7:31am On Sep 17, 2015
hmmm.. the day of reckoning is coming.
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by zendy: 7:34am On Sep 17, 2015
Its unfortunate that there were some ex-Biafran soldiers who could not rehabilitate themselves after the war. My father is an ex-Biafran Soldier who despite suffering gunshot and shrapnel wounds had to pick him self up after the war just like everyone else. I know another ex-Biafran Soldier who fought alongside my father but was unfortunate to be caught by the Nigerian Army. Those that caught him decided not to kill him but to amputate his arms! Despite having no hands, the man is today married with grown up children and owns a successful building materials retail business. Some ex-Biafran Soldiers just could not go back to normal life after the war, some suffered psychological damage, some even waited for years to see if Ojukwu would come back to continue the war. Those who could not move on we're the ones that suffered the most. But I'm proud of what they fought for and in my eyes, they are all great men

4 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by laudate: 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2015
And when Ojukwu came back, what did he do for them?? How many of them did he rehabilitate? How many of those who lost their properties did he assist to get them back?

3 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:10pm On Sep 17, 2015
omenka:
From second Niger bridge to payment of the ex soldiers, everything Jonathan did for that region was nothing but a fraud.

Can't believe how an entire ethnic group allowed themselves to be punked continuously by the most foolish leader this country's ever had, simply because he appended "Azikiwe" to his name.

What a shame.
"sharrap, you suffering from 'tonyebarcanista-phobia'". Quote me anywhere.

2 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 17, 2015
omenka:

What a shame.

Funny thing is, your Hausa Fulani brothers have been in power since independence yet couldn't develop your region. We have used all tricks in the book to make you develop, from quota system to federal character to catchment area to what have you yet no development in the North. We provided your region with free fertilizers, seedlings, irrigation plants, pesticides, farm machinery, even free range grazing yet we still import food.

A southern President built 135 almajiri schools and 9 new universities yet the schools remain empty because your people will rather attend mosques than schools. Your people are the reason why Buhari/Osibanjo promised free meal for school children and N5000 stipend for adults and by the end of this administration, the North will still be the most impoverished. Then i ask, how 'punked' can the North be? angry

2 Likes

Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by mightyhaze: 3:34pm On Sep 17, 2015
Those were mostly d lazy ones evn b4 d war. Well,xcept 4 dose dat had serious neurological problems or serious amputations.majority biafran soldiers moved on immediately afta d war. One of my uncles who was v active thruout d war,had his jaw shattered near uzuakoli bridge in late 1969.he suffered severe shock evn till afta d war.well,I was born well ova a decade later n met him a v successful n vibrant man.except 4 his slightly droopin jaw,dere wasn't any sign of sufferin an excruciatin war on his body and mind.I don't tink dere is much excuse for most of dese brave veterans who never found dia feet after afta d war.they should have moved on really,...
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by mightyhaze: 10:58am On Sep 18, 2015
huangcheng:

Funny thing is, your Hausa Fulani brothers have been in power since independence yet couldn't develop your region. We have used all tricks in the book to make you develop, from quota system to federal character to catchment area to what have you yet no development in the North. We provided your region with free fertilizers, seedlings, irrigation plants, pesticides, farm machinery, even free range grazing yet we still import food.

A southern President built 135 almajiri schools and 9 new universities yet the schools remain empty because your people will rather attend mosques than schools. Your people are the reason why Buhari/Osibanjo promised free meal for school children and N5000 stipend for adults and by the end of this administration, the North will still be the most impoverished. Then i ask, how 'punked' can the North be? angry
don't mind d fo.ol! Am sure if dat war was fought in dia region,by now d rest of d country wud av been overwhelmed by dia alms beggin crowd(not dat we not overwhelmed now as it is).
Re: ‘500 Ex-biafran Soldiers Died In Penury’ The Guardian by princdebola201(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2015
ANOTHER CURSE ON THE CURSED TRIBE LOL..!!gringrin
He said: “For the Igbo to come out from their political calamity in the country, the souls and spirits of such people must be appeased. Ndigbo will suffer for 200 years in Nigeria if the spirits of these veterans and others who sacrificed their lives to defend the people are not appeased.

(1) (Reply)

Unmasking The Demons Behind Saraki’s Travails / There Is No Hurry To Rescue Kidnapped Chibok Girls- Nigerian Army / Breaking News!!! Airforce Plane Just Crashed In Yola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.