Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,052 members, 7,818,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Why Spend So Much On Burial? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Spend So Much On Burial? (835 Views)

The Zambian Player Who Lost Daughter During Match Bitterly At Her Burial Photos / RIP! Photos From Nollywood Actor Chinonso Chukwujekwu AKA Boss Man’s Burial / Burial Photos Of 6 ERCC Mothers Who Died In Accident On Kajuru Junction In Kebbi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Spend So Much On Burial? by iamsoja(m): 7:08pm On Sep 17, 2015
Chude is planning a trip to the village this yuletide season and has got it worked out but he is yet to figure out where to get the N1m he calculates he needs to travel with. He arrived at that figure after spending time consulting with family members in Abuja and in the village. The bulk of it will be spent as part of his contribution towards the burial of a senior member of his extended family. As the shining light of the family, he has little choice but to take responsibility even though the person who died wasn’t a direct relative.

Amongst the items he needs to spend money on are asoebi, cow, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, transport, food, among others. Any attempt to strike out any amount on that list is tantamount to a huge embarrassment to himself and his extended family. He had to perform even if it means borrowing from the bank.

Chude’s experience is not peculiar to him alone. A recent survey also suggests that the biggest risk to household income in Nigeria is illness or the death of a relative. This is because Nigerians spend a fortune on ceremonies especially burial ceremonies.

So much fanfare and tradition is attached to it that makes me wonder if we really need to spend all that money. Is there a better way of burying our loved ones in a dignifying manner?

Should the need to fulfil traditional rites always mean we must spend all our savings and even borrow just to comply? I personally believe that should not be the case as whatever situation you find yourself in financially should influence how much you should spend. Here are a few suggestions to spend reasonably;

Budget

The first amount you spend on burials are typical mortuary costs. So more often than not it is not budgeted for. However, every other thing you have to do should be included in a well prepared budget. I know budgets are boring and most don’t adhere to it. But think of it as a reality check and guide and you will appreciate how useful it can be. A budget is typically the first place to show signs that you might not be able to afford an elaborate burial ceremony.

Borrowing

I do understand that a need to bury a loved one may occur at a time of the month or year where cash flow is usually low. This could lead to the need to borrow some money from family or friends just to fund the burial expenses. However, what we shouldn’t do is borrowing an amount that we obviously cannot repay during the promised payback period.

Why ask for a loan of N1m to bury a loved one when your monthly income is just N200, 000? Another thing to avoid is borrowing from banks to finance a burial.

The interest rate element of such borrowing just makes it a disincentive for me and should be avoided at all costs.

Selling an asset

I have also heard of some people who would rather than not give a befitting burial, sell a valuable asset such as gold, cars or even a house just to fund a burial. I do not have issues with that provided you don’t go broke immediately afterwards. Sometimes, you wonder why that gesture could not be extended to the dead relative when they were alive.

I feel the tough question to ask yourself in that situation should be, would I sell this asset and give the cash to my relative if he or she were alive? If the answer is no, then I do not think selling your asset makes sense. But then, it is just my opinion.

Aso-ebi

This has become a very significant part of ceremonies across Nigeria. Be it a wedding, party, graduation, burial etc. People spend thousands of naira buying dresses in solidarity with a friend or loved one who is grieving or celebrating. I also do not have any issues with this provided it is not compulsory.

I have heard that some people use it as a way to help cover ceremony expenses. If that is the case, and your friends and family are happy to spend money on asoebi on your behalf, then the better for you.

Insurance

The insurance industry in Nigeria is coming of age and regularly introduce various insurance products. One of those I have heard of is insurance for burial expenses. I think it is a nice product to buy, if available, as death is as sure as anything else that could happen in life. In exchange for a premium you get a huge chunk of money to cater for burial expenses when they do occur.

Entertainment

This is perhaps the aspect of burial expenses that take up most of the cash. There are some burials you attend that make you wonder if you are in a party. I believe the amount you spend on entertainment depends on how solemn or grandeur you want the burial ceremony to be.

If you have the cash and want a lavish ceremony for a loved one then go ahead. However, if you do not have the cash there is no point trying to please anyone because what you end up doing is creating another problem for yourself.

CC: lalasticlala, Seun
Credit: Ugodre Obi-Chukwu
http://www.punchng.com/business/am-business/why-spend-so-much-on-burial/
Re: Why Spend So Much On Burial? by iliyande(m): 7:11pm On Sep 17, 2015
Ee taya me oo. We don't spend much on burial in my side.

I believe in helping someone when he/she is alive
Re: Why Spend So Much On Burial? by youngwarlocks: 7:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
iliyande:
Ee taya me oo. We don't spend much burial in my side.
yoruba say "aseju"

(1) (Reply)

What Is FTC On Nairaland / Transgender Man That Gave Birth To Beautiful Daughter( pic ) / The Dos And Donts In Setting Your 2016 Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.