Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,079 members, 7,818,233 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student (2152 Views)

Ugandan Hotel Job Advert: Indians & White Persons Are Preferred (Photo) / Vacancy With Ali Baba Explains Why Companies Prefer Experienced Hands / N-power Explains How To Check Pre-selection Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by GeoOla25(m): 9:35pm On Sep 17, 2015
This Is Why I Believe in Hiring a 'C' Student.

I can be a tough boss. A self-professed passionate workaholic, when I hire I am looking for people with personality. My organization is not a place for the perfect person with a copacetic life. I am seeking eclectic, committed people. On my team I want survivors. If you find yourself on the other end of the desk from me, here is what to expect:

1) Prepare yourself for open-ended questions. Please do not be put off by the vagueness of the question. Embrace the ambiguity. I am seeking people who can dance in the world of gray. As you respond, remember that when I ask the question there are no right or wrong answers. Instead, as you formulate your answer, remember I am listening for patterns. I believe that everyone is centered in well-defined behaviors which are repeatable. When you talk, I am listening intently to understand what drives you. I want team members who have overcome adversity. 

2) Be real. In an interview, I am allergic to pat answers. Entice me: I am listening for a person that can tell me about failure and life lessons. The ideal candidate has thick skin and can easily share how they changed their behaviors based on tough feedback. They are coachable. When I ask these open-ended questions, I listen for heart and compassion. My preference is a bright C student with broad life experiences versus a perfectionist A student.

3) Tell me stories. Make yourself memorable. I love an interview that is based on honest sharing of life lessons and reflection. My goal is to find lifelong learners who will never punch a clock. As a result, the people who I hire share their personality. They know themselves and share openly.

4) Be centered. Bring yourself to the interview. In this world I feel that there are givers and takers. My goal is to build a team of givers. My guard goes up if I hear self-centered behavior.

5) Don't take yourself so seriously. I am also seeking the person who laughs and has fun. There is no room in my organization for the person who is always on edge. Humor is a great gift and a situation equalizer. Share yours. I will appreciate it. 

I hope this helps. Let me know your thoughts. Best of luck in your career!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by hapheeyxz: 7:51am On Sep 18, 2015
k
Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by Chuksemi(m): 8:03am On Sep 18, 2015
Wow, you are certainly a 'c' student. You think like one. @op

1 Like

Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by damiloladuke: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2015
everybody is entitled to their own opinion

BLOGGERS & OTHERS.. CHECK MY SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by tayoast(m): 8:35am On Sep 18, 2015
This is random, but I think those who succeed at interviews are those who maintain their composure to a level, can cook up something REASONABLE on the spot and are smart (smart enough to back up whatever they say with examples/experiences).
Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by shollay09(m): 8:59am On Sep 18, 2015
Been smart, ur level of composure and Gods favour is d key to success for any interview
Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by Godmother(f): 9:03am On Sep 18, 2015
tayoast:
This is random, but I think those who succeed at interviews are those who maintain their composure to a level, can cook up something REASONABLE on the spot and are smart (smart enough to back up whatever they say with examples/experiences).

Plus those who favour smile on. Sometimes, interview select candidates based on sentiments. For instance there might be two very qualified people for a position from a group of candidate. In the end only one might be picked based on sentiments.
Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 18, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks the write-up doesn't match the title of the thread? undecided
The write-up was all about the qualities and attributes the Op wants to see from an interviewee/employee which to me ain't peculiar to 'C' students at all. Or maybe I just couldn't comprehend the write-up well sad

Friedplantain

2 Likes

Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 18, 2015
Thanks for the heads-up. . How do you expect interviewees to know what u wants! Since u'd definitely not be the only boss recruiting(only firm) ? Others (any other firm) may post different criteria different from yours. . Its almost impossible to please all-sundry during interviews except the Almighty God helps.
Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by tayoast(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2015
Godmother:

Plus those who favour smile on. Sometimes, interview select candidates based on sentiments. For instance there might be two very qualified people for a position from a group of candidate. In the end only one might be picked based on sentiments.

Of course; Something has to be the deciding factor.
Re: A CEO Explains Why He Preferred Hiring a "C " Student by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 18, 2015
Whenever they tell you there is no wrong or right answer, its a big lie.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Difficulties In Submitting My CV On Etisalat Recruitment Portal / Important Info About Npower / NDDC Skills Acquisition Training Programme 2017 -apply Now !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.