Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,651 members, 7,823,846 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway (1470 Views)

FG Endorses Cross River’s 260km Super Highway / Amaechi Cancels Visit To Wike's Ward / Buhari Arrives Cross Rivers For Flag-off Of 260km Super Highway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Leojamesjames(m): 4:09am On Sep 18, 2015
The proposed visit of President Muhammadu Buhari to Cross River State for the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of a 260km superhighway has been cancelled.
A statement by Christian Ita, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Ben Ayade of Cross River, on Thursday, confirmed the cancellation.
It stated that the decision to postpone the ceremony was communicated to the governor in a letter signed by the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari.
“The presidency attributed the shift to a letter written to the president by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Environment, Nana Fatima Mede.
“She claimed that the proposed highway, if allowed to go on, would cut through the Cross River National Park.
“The letter claimed that the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) on the proposed road was yet to be carried out,” the statement said.
But Mr. Ita stated that the proposed road would not traverse the Cross River National Park, as the superhighway would be several kilometres away from the national park.
“Based on the input of the Cross River National Park, the road has since been re-routed with the alignment now several kilometers away from the park.
“As a governor who is passionate about the preservation of the state’s biodiversity with his establishment of the Green Police, he would not embark on a project that would undermine the environment,” Mr. Ita stated.
He said the EIA report on the road was being handled by environmental consultants, PGM (Nig) Limited recommended to the state by the Federal Ministry of Environment.
Mr. Ita said the governor would work closely with the presidency to clear areas of doubt, adding that a new date for the ceremony would be announced later.
(NAN)
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Leojamesjames(m): 4:11am On Sep 18, 2015
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by 4reala(m): 4:20am On Sep 18, 2015
Is like some people na enemy of progress oooo cool

Away from d topic, hmm spacebookers una welldone o

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by M4gunners: 4:23am On Sep 18, 2015
Timi. You can now get the answer to your initial question . I hope you understand what i mean.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by rusher14: 4:28am On Sep 18, 2015
Due process must be followed especially for a project of such stature.

EIA is a very important constituent of project management.

One wouldn't want to have such flora and fauna, some exclusively found in Cross River state, to be damaged and possibly face extinction due to anthropogenic exercises that could be better managed.

Of course, other issues that would surely come up such compensation and claims would be treated therein.

Let the EIA be concluded then the issue would be revisited.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 4:39am On Sep 18, 2015
Forget about the road, it's being postponed till thy kingdom come.

That is the language they use in dribbling zombies.

Have you ever heard of Environmental Impact Assessment stopping a Federal project in Northern Nigeria?

Eastern Nigeria is a conquered territory and whatever it get should be scrutinized and weighed in a balance.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by yang(m): 4:47am On Sep 18, 2015
The person I blame is this cross river governor who seems to be another okoroawusa in the making

This Ayade is an Hausa man

Highway that was supposed to have commenced since to change the lives of people

and here we are waiting for a illiterate terrorist paedophile dictator who cannot even point Cross river National Park to you on a map

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by rusher14: 4:49am On Sep 18, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

Have you ever heard of Environmental Impact Assessment stopping a Federal project in Northern Nigeria?

Eastern Nigeria is a conquered territory and whatever it get should be scrutinized and weighed in a balance.

You do realise that the pandrilus monkey for instance, amongst other species of animals, can only be found exclusively in Cross River state and these animals face extinction?

I'm sure you wouldn't want their habitats to be bulldozed without consideration.

Of course if that were to happen, I can already imagine the opprobrium that would follow. This would be championed by the usual naysayers who can never see anything good from this present government.

Patience is key.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Leojamesjames(m): 5:16am On Sep 18, 2015
Lalasticlala you can help with the needful
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Welrez(m): 5:19am On Sep 18, 2015
It is only a slowcouch that will criticise the Cross River State Government.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Welrez(m): 5:22am On Sep 18, 2015
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 5:41am On Sep 18, 2015
rusher14:

You do realise that the pandrilus monkey for instance, amongst other species of animals, can only be found exclusively in Cross River state and these animals face extinction?

I'm sure you wouldn't want their habitats to be bulldozed without consideration.

Of course if that were to happen, I can already imagine the opprobrium that would follow. This would be championed by the usual naysayers who can never see anything good from this present government.

Patience is key.

Bros, I have been in this game for so long and know the languages and technicalities use in putting off or knocking off projects when it's not satisfactorily a necessity that will benefit the power blocs.

Why would a President schedule such events when necessary steps are still pending? The President has been debriefed hence the excuses which the Cross River State Officials are seeing as ridiculous.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by cutestcee: 6:04am On Sep 18, 2015
Ridiculous and biased excuse!

Ntooo to the governor! Why wait for the man's commissioning before starting a project in a 5% State. Wake up guys, there must be excuses to stop any project at the 5% region.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Dahveydson(m): 6:16am On Sep 18, 2015
It was postponed not cancelled. Misleading headlines. Bigots will come here spewing trash now.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by sambisa5: 6:20am On Sep 18, 2015
How can a traveller ever not want to travel,,,,,what he enjoys doing?
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by hola106(m): 6:40am On Sep 18, 2015
K
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by KwoiZabo(m): 7:17am On Sep 18, 2015
Raod Buhari no build. Come flag off the one wey PDP governors want build Kwanu. e no gree. That's why I like wike. e go just start the road. Daura President should go to hell.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by newheartub(m): 7:28am On Sep 18, 2015
cutestcee:

Ntooo to the governor! Why wait for the man's commissioning before starting a project in a 5% State. Wake up guys, there must be excuses to stop any project at the 5% region.

Stop or postpone

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by BishopMagic: 8:08am On Sep 18, 2015
The road is not a federal project but a state project wherein the state govt needs approval from the Ministry of Enviroment similar to how LASG needed approval from Ministry of Inland Waterways to construct a bridge.

That aside, it appears that the Federal govt under this ab0ki govt is deliberately frustrating any developmental projects in the SS and SE as can be seen with the cancellation of the 2nd Niger Bridge project and now this road project in Cross River.

Other than providing environmental impact assessment, the Federal govt will have to guarantee any concessionary agreement and counterpart funding or bonds issued by the Cross River gov for this road projectt which they obviously won't be doing.

It is obvious now that this APC govt hates the better south.

Buhari could not wait to send the AirForce to obliterate a small riverine community in Cross River - this was less than a month he was sworn in.

Since military action will not be totally effective, this govt has now started frustrating development in the better south.

After all this same Buhari said that he can not do more than is constitutionally required in regions that gave him less than 5% votes in the last election.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 18, 2015
Sai Buhari
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 18, 2015
Buhari has no time for the south. He'll rather travel to western Germani
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by poiZon: 8:18am On Sep 18, 2015
Dahveydson:
It was postponed not cancelled. Misleading headlines. Bigots will come here spewing trash now.

the book of mathew chapter somethng verse 3 says DELAY IS DANGERFUL.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by BishopMagic: 8:20am On Sep 18, 2015
cutestcee:

The state govt will need to carry the federal govt along as funding for the project will need federal govt guarantee.

The Buhari govt was looking for a way not to commit to this project purely out of hate for the south.
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by genearts(m): 8:21am On Sep 18, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

Try and have sense naa, are you a foool??

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by BishopMagic: 8:24am On Sep 18, 2015
rusher14:

Patience is key.

You are talking trash!

The Niger Delta Ecosystem has been destroyed alongside the livelihood of indigenous people from years of oil exploration and now you have the audacity to tell me that this useless govt will not allow the state road project to go on because of your ape cousins?

You must he a Yoruba dunce
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by rusher14: 9:02am On Sep 18, 2015
BishopMagic:

You are talking trash!

The Niger Delta Ecosystem has been destroyed alongside the livelihood of indigenous people from years of oil exploration and now you have the audacity to tell me that this useless govt will not allow the state road project to go on because of your ape cousins?

You must he a Yoruba dunce

Your argument is that since the ecosystem of the Niger Delta has been despoiled, there's no point in protecting what can be found within its space.

Therefore, construction and even more damage can be done without due diligence in the form of an EIA. Don't you think that's both ignorant, negligent and uncouth of you?

Also, you make it seem like an outsider cannot be concerned about your environment as much as you.

I don't see what would be wrong in a Yoruba, Jukun or Fulani man speaking up concerning the environment. Ultimately, it affects every single one of us.

For your information I am Ijaw (though that matters little), and I'm certain I am more concerned about the Niger Delta, its ecosystem, economy and its people than most.

The idea of partisanship shouldn't becloud our common sense.

I know this is an anonymous forum but please conduct yourself in a manner befitting any human being who is in his full elements .
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by BishopMagic: 9:24am On Sep 18, 2015
rusher14:

Your argument is that since the ecosystem of the Niger Delta has been despoiled, there's no point in protecting what can be found within its space.

Therefore, construction and even more damage can be done without due diligence in the form of an EIA. Don't you think that's both ignorant, negligent and uncouth of you?

Also, you make it seem like an outsider cannot be concerned about your environment as much as you.

I don't see what would be wrong in a Yoruba, Jukun or Fulani man speaking up concerning the environment. Ultimately, it affects every single one of us.

For your information I am Ijaw (though that matters little), and I'm certain I am more concerned about the Niger Delta, it's ecosystem, economy and it's people than most.

The idea of partisanship shouldn't becloud our common sense.

I know this is an anonymous forum but please conduct yourself in a manner befitting any human being who is in his full elements .

First of all , stop decieving yourself as I know that you are not Ijaw but another useless Yoruba liar.

If your Buhari is now an environmentalist, why not tell him to concentrate on reducing gas flaring to zero and cleaning up of the Niger Delta and also mandating the jobless ministry of Enviroment to ensure strict environmental safety regulations by the oil companies.

Yeye.

Now you are telling us here that because of your ape cousins that is why this road was cancelled even though the state govt has since said the road will be situated several kilometers from the park.

Bloody liar.

I know for a fact that this road project was not conceived by this current Cross River govt but has been in the planning stage for years and was penciled down for kick off this year so I believe that a state like Cross River which benefits financially both from tourism and from grants by International environmental agencies will definitely not plan a road project through their park!

Nonsense!
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by axhead(m): 10:08am On Sep 18, 2015
Please who is this illogical confused human being above me. It is a shame
Re: Buhari Cancels Visit To Cross River For Groundbreaking Of 260km Highway by cutestcee: 12:57pm On Sep 18, 2015
BishopMagic:

The state govt will need to carry the federal govt along as funding for the project will need federal govt guarantee.

The Buhari govt was looking for a way not to commit to this project purely out of hate for the south.

Very true.
Just pure hatred!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mamman Vasta And IBB Relationship / UK Court Seizes £27,000 Pounds From Former Petroleum Minister, Alison-madueke / SEE The South-african Lady Who Thinks All Nigerian Women Are Ugly [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.