Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,126 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria (3892 Views)

Technology Will Be Deployed To Fight Crime In Kogi State (photos) / Jonathan Opens Up: I’m Being Investigated For Corruption By Buhari / RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 6:49am On Sep 19, 2015
Corruption is the biggest crime among the challenges facing Nigerians.

It is clear to every citizen of Nigeria that the level of corruption in the country is still very high despite our improved ranking under GEJ. Why
Corruption remains the greatest obstacles to economic and social development in Nigeria.

The harmful effects of corruption are especially severe on the poor masses, who are hardest hit by economic decline, those who relied on the public services, with no capacity of paying the extra costs associated with bribery, fraud, and the misappropriation of economic privileges.
Corruption in Nigeria is present in all the entire sectors of the country, be it a small or big sector, Local government, state government, government parastatals, even the religious houses are not spared, you will observe corrupt practices when you critically examine it.

Transparency International (TI) in its 2014 Corruption Perception Index has ranked Nigeria the 136th most corrupt country in the world and the 3rd most corrupt country in West Africa after Guinea and Guinea Bissau.

Nigeria was ranked 144th in 2013, 139th in 2012 and 143rd in 2011 with the 2014 position bettering that of 2013 by eight places.

This record is Nigeria best ranking on Transparency International’s corruption perception index (CPI) under the Presidency of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. This to us is still very HIGH.

Every successive government in Nigeria had promised to fight corruption, we end up seeing little or nothing.

What is corruption?

Dictionaries defines corruption as “Dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery”.
It also involves wrongdoing on the part of an authority or powerful party through means that are illegitimate, immoral, or incompatible with ethical standards. Corruption often results from patronage and is associated with bribery.

TI defines corruption as “the abuse of entrusted power for private gain”.
Political corruption is a manipulation of policies, institutions and rules of procedure in the allocation of resources and financing by political decision makers, who abuse their position to sustain their power, status and wealth.

Corruption involves giving of bribe by a person to an official to prevent the truth from being told. It also involves the embezzlement of public fund for personal use.

Corruption is a criminal act and a crime against humanity.

Corruption vs. Bribery.

Bribery is a specific offence which concerns the practice of offering something, usually money, to gain an illicit advantage and corruption is an abuse of a position of trust in order to gain an undue advantage

Corruption vs. fraud

According to World Bank… A fraudulent practice is any act or omission, including a misrepresentation, that knowingly or recklessly misleads, or attempts to mislead, a party to obtain a financial or other benefit or to avoid an obligation. While a corrupt practice is the offering, giving, receiving or soliciting, directly or indirectly, of anything of value to influence improperly the actions of another party

What is corruption to you

Fight against corruption in Nigeria

The biggest bottleneck against fighting corruption in Nigeria are the lawyers of all calibers and our learned jurist.

How can a responsible human, who is not corrupt stand to defend an extremely corrupt individual?

How can a God fearing person, learned for that matter, attempt to use the law of the land to defend criminals?

I think its high time Nigeria as a nation abolished legal proceedings and give death by hanging against looters.

Let us start to kill corrupt politicians who are less than 1% of Nigeria population and save the remaining 99%.

- Roads are bad in Nigeria because of corruption, many Nigerians are dying daily due to road accident.

- Billions of Naira invested in electricity, 90% of the money embezzled by the politicians in Nigeria

- Our Health care system and hospitals in Nigeria are now ordinary clinics, you cannot get specified medical treatment unless you patronized private hospitals. The politicians have embezzled the money meant for building standard hospitals, and you see the criminals running abroad for treatment.

- Nigeria has no clean and portable water because of corruption

- Quality of our Education is nose diving due to bad leadership and corruption.

Painfully you see Nigerian youths defending the looters and criminals on the internet and social medial daily.

Fellow Nigerians, wake-up and let us join hands to fight corruption.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Seun

Should we continue like this NO!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Imortal001: 6:50am On Sep 19, 2015
Ok
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by baski92(m): 6:50am On Sep 19, 2015
Corruption 225
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by ifex370(m): 6:59am On Sep 19, 2015
corruption should be considered felony and therefore death should be punishment
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by egift(m): 6:59am On Sep 19, 2015
President Buhari has made a priority to tackle Corruption. He needs our support and encouragement - Not meaningless insults, wailing and singing the praises and cheering criminals that have looted Nigerian.

God bless Nigeria!
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:02am On Sep 19, 2015
Truckpusher, Tonyebarcanista MizMyColi Rozayx5 bomsilaga exxel erunz dunsman
Nigerianvenom Phockphockman, nwadiuko1, ibokUtoroh,
Koded, Ecoterrors, iPrinz20 Aprokoman, OcheJoseph,
Dearpreye, Firefire, Francizy, Temitemi1, Hinwazaka
Ecoterrors, Dumkem21 Biafranqueen, Mogidi, Mizmycoli,
IsraeliAirforce, Candyrain, Ambivert, Rose2014, Provacateur,
Opiaoku, NDPVF, Anonimi, Engineerboat, Talktimi, ahaika23,
coolestrogue APCSucks Emperortj93 DebateNigeria SeverusSnappe Ishiamu demdem and dekdek

We must all join hands to kill corruption.
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by andresia(m): 7:03am On Sep 19, 2015
you forgot to cc chukwudi44. That man supports corruption like a deranged man

5 Likes

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:03am On Sep 19, 2015
ifex370:

Absolutely!
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:05am On Sep 19, 2015
andresia:
you forgot to cc chukwudi44. That man supports corruption like a deranged man

cc chukwudi44
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2015
Firefire:
Truckpusher, Tonyebarcanista MizMyColi Rozayx5 bomsilaga exxel erunz dunsman
Nigerianvenom Phockphockman, nwadiuko1, ibokUtoroh,
Koded, Ecoterrors, iPrinz20 Aprokoman, OcheJoseph,
Dearpreye, Firefire, Francizy, Temitemi1, Hinwazaka
Ecoterrors, Dumkem21 Biafranqueen, Mogidi, Mizmycoli,
IsraeliAirforce, Candyrain, Ambivert, Rose2014, Provacateur,
Opiaoku, NDPVF, Anonimi, Engineerboat, Talktimi, ahaika23,
coolestrogue APCSucks Emperortj93 DebateNigeria SeverusSnappe Ishiamu demdem and dekdek

We must all join hands to kill corruption NOW!

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Demmocrats(m): 7:18am On Sep 19, 2015
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Kastonkastroll(m): 7:27am On Sep 19, 2015
Firefire:

Absolutely!
OK if you believe corruption is the biggest crime in Nigeria, then your former benefactor (Jonathan) needs to be prosecuted for his pro-corruption policies and also for his famous "stealing is not corruption" statement. If I dont see you and your ilk advocating for the immediate arrest of Jonathan, then anything you guys(PDP people) say is absolutely wash
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by bettercreature(m): 7:31am On Sep 19, 2015
ifex370:
I disagree,You will never be clean if you ever hold a very high political office,enemies are there to set you up beside not all those who are accused of being corrupt are really corrupt,some of them are set up and dont forget political motivated witch-hunting,i think 7years jail term should be okay
How i wish all corrupt officials are treat the same way they treated Tafa Balogun
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:32am On Sep 19, 2015
Kastonkastroll:
OK if you believe corruption is the biggest crime in Nigeria, then your former benefactor (Jonathan) needs to be prosecuted for his pro-corruption policies and also for his famous "stealing is not corruption" statement. If I dont see you and your ilk advocating for the immediate arrest of Jonathan, then anything you guys(PDP people) say is absolutely wash

Please bring out your evidence(s) against our hero GEJ and see us falling in line to send him to jail without any parole.

But after we see his predecessors sentenced to life imprisonment. No sacred cow.

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:36am On Sep 19, 2015
Every Nigerian of good conscience MUST rise up against the epidemic called corruption.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by temitemi1(m): 7:37am On Sep 19, 2015
Buhari is corrupt, tinubu is corrupt, ameachi is corrupt,fashola is corrupt,saraki is corrupt, atiku is corrupt, obasanjo is corrupt, jonathan is corrupt,madueke is corrupt, temitemi1 is corrupt, firefire is corrupt, in fact the entire country is corrupt cool cool... Let's KILL corruption before corruption KILL us...
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by ifex370(m): 7:38am On Sep 19, 2015
bettercreature:
I disagree,You will never be clean if you ever hold a very high political office,enemies are there to set you up beside not all those who are accused of being corrupt are really corrupt,some of them are set up and dont forget political motivated witch-hunting,i think 7years jail term should be okay
How i wish all corrupt officials are treat the same way they treated Tafa Balogun

I disagree with you... following due trial processes if a man is found guilty... he should be executed... the fear alone will discourage others

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:39am On Sep 19, 2015
temitemi1:
Buhari is corrupt, tinubu is corrupt, ameachi is corrupt,fashola is corrupt,saraki is corrupt, atiku is corrupt, obasanjo is corrupt, jonathan is corrupt,madueke is corrupt, temitemi1 is corrupt, firefire is corrupt, in fact the entire country is corrupt cool cool... Let's KILL corruption before corruption KILL us...

Temitemi1 may be corrupt but please bring out your evidence of corruption against Firefire ?? cheesy
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by bettercreature(m): 7:45am On Sep 19, 2015
ifex370:

I disagree with you... following due trial processes if a man is found guilty... he should be executed... the fear alone will discourage others
They will execute many innocent people,Its not done anywhere and i dont think it makes sense, if china a very strict communist country refused to approve death penalty for corrupt politicians, i don't see why Nigeria should do it
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by temitemi1(m): 7:47am On Sep 19, 2015
I'm just tired of this corruption issue!
Firefire:

Temitemi1 may be corrupt but please bring out your evidence of corruption against Firefire ?? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 7:51am On Sep 19, 2015
temitemi1:
I'm just tired of this corruption issue!

Then let us join hands to kill corruption.
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by neocortex: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2015
In Nigeria , the definition of corruption is when a political opponents is accused
of being corrupt in the media , then people will hurl insults and curses then it ends
there not knowing that we can't move forward by celebrating allegations , we can
only progress by demanding for "prosecution".
Instead of waiting for the next allegation to feed on we should be waiting for the
next court appearance.
Without that, we are only deceiving ourselves,
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Kastonkastroll(m): 8:10am On Sep 19, 2015
Firefire:

Please bring out your evidence(s) against our hero GEJ and see us falling in line to send him to jail without any parole.

But after we see his predecessors sentenced to life imprisonment. No sacred cow.
Why didn't he(Jonathan) sentence his predecessors, yar'adua exclusive?

Abeg leave mata for Mathias, everybody knows Jonathan was the father of corruption in Nigeria. Even the renowned international thief(ibb) was bemused by the level of corruption that was going on in Jonathan's administration.

• $20biilion will disappear today, $10billion will developed legs tomorrow all under Jonathan's watch.

I will begin to take buhari's anti-craft war serious when I see real corrupt people like;

1• Jonathan √
2• diezani √
3• Abba Moro √
4• David mark
5• stealer oduah √
6• bala Mohammed √
7• atiku √
8• dino melaye √
9• okonjo iweala √
10• Patience Jonathan √

being interrogated and finally prosecuted....

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by omenka(m): 8:12am On Sep 19, 2015
Firefire:

Absolutely!
Not in support of death penalty. A forfeiture of assets and a very lengthy jail term with no chance for parole/pardon with be sufficient deterrent for me.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by temitemi1(m): 8:13am On Sep 19, 2015
Are u sure there is any hand left to join ours
Firefire:

Then let us join hands to kill corruption.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Firefire(m): 8:13am On Sep 19, 2015
Kastonkastroll:
Why didn't he(Jonathan) sentence his predecessors, yar'adua exclusive?

Abeg leave mata for Mathias, everybody knows Jonathan was the father of corruption in Nigeria. Even the renowned international thief(ibb) was bemused by the level of corruption that was going on in Jonathan's administration.

• $20biilion will disappear today, $10billion will developed legs tomorrow all under Jonathan's watch.

I will begin to take buhari's anti-craft war serious when I see real corrupt people like;

1• Jonathan √
2• diezani √
3• Abba Moro √
4• David mark
5• stealer oduah √
6• bala Mohammed √
7• atiku √
8• dino melaye √
9• okonjo iweala √
10• Patience Jonathan √

being interrogated and finally prosecuted....

You are biased.

Only the above names are corrupt in Nigeria, right ?
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by Horus(m): 9:19pm On Nov 24, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LjKn1QAoE

[size=15pt]Nigeria asks citizens to report corruption[/size]
Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by thunderrider: 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
I feel the legal body needs to rise up to this challenge.

If the body can regulate its members such that any of them that represents / try twisting clear cut cases be it corruption murder e.t.c, be heavily santioned

then politicians will then know that there is no hiding place for them

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is The Biggest Crime In Nigeria by HassieMalcomson(f): 4:48pm On May 26, 2021
Thanks for sharing the thorough post. I don't think corruption is the only issue in Nigeria but almost all third world countries having the same issues. In my opinion, because all African countries are full of natural resources like gold, rare earth minerals etc that's why the world powers don't want to develop them and in this regard, corruption is important. Although we are seeing many campaigns like this https://whomtosupport.com/project-veritas/ against corruption but still these are the developed countries that support corruption.

Haven't you noticed all corrupt politicians and rulers of poor countries invest in rich countries? Yes, they usually invest in these countries and these countries also protect them. You can also read this post https://www.transparency.org/en/news/where-are-africas-billions. Secondly, I also see that people don't take it very seriously. We need to stop corruption if we have a prosperous future for our kids. Otherwise, corruption would destroy everything.

(1) (Reply)

25 Biggest And Most Embarrassing Mistakes Ever Made / According To Nigerians, This Is Zenith Bank’s New Corporate Logo / When Will Zahra, Halimat And Yusuf Buhari Do Their NYSC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.