Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Why Freelance Websites Has Refused To Function In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Freelance Websites Has Refused To Function In Nigeria (662 Views)

Top Freelance Websites In Nigeria / GTBank Has Refused To Reverse A Fraudulent Transaction Made On My Account / Help!!! He Has Refused To Return My Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Freelance Websites Has Refused To Function In Nigeria by Shoeskwa: 9:56am On Sep 19, 2015
Hello everyone,

A lot of things have refused to work in Nigeria because.

1. It is difficult to find honest people
2. There are no systems to check and punish offenders
3. We find it difficult to trust or value our own
4. Foreigners who come in with their businesses know we are honored to have them and they will get away with many things
5. We frustrate emerging businesses till the suffocate
6. Rigorous payment system
7. Lack of trust.
Please add more.

I'm so pained by the responses I see from some of us. One minute you want to believe we can change our destiny, the next minute you want to give up on everything. I have been using freelance websites like Fiverr, Hirewriter, freelance and I have had my fair share of challenges.

What is wrong with the guy who created a post on Elance and Upwork using that medium to achieve other purposes than helping people?

Why can't we support and allow our own thrive?

How did I find these websites?

They popped up while I was searching for affordable web services in Nigeria on Google. I once paid a popular web design agency for a website but he didn't deliver after 2 months though agreement was to deliver in 2 weeks. Still when he didnafter so much pressure, it was nonsense.

Now if i want to push it, I will waste more at the police station and since he has delivered the police would say, "you asked for a website and you have one". After appealing to his conscience for 7 weeks he agreed to make refunds, he paid half and stopped taking my calls.

So, for how long will I continue to go to Egbeda?

My first few experiences on Fiverr was great, jobs were well done considering the amount I paid. Then I met a guy from Morrocca we agreed on some services for a Fiverr, he suggested I pay outside Fiverr so it would be cheaper and I obliged.

After I paid half of the agreed amount, he disappeared. Quite consoling! Morale of the story, there are dishonest people everywhere, be smart. A lot of service providers tried to pull same stunts on these websites from different countries but you know, once beaten...

I met quite a number of Nigerians on these freelance sites also, great guys who stood out for impeccable communication skills and customer service. They played by the rules and delivered great quality, off course you will tell by their profile. There services made more sense to me because they resonated with my target market here.

So, I contacted some developers to help me build a freelance website for Nigerians. Majority said it would not work and I still ask, why? I contacted 4 online payment providers, they all boosted how they were better than Paypal and I decided to roll with them. After so many failed promises, I sent a mail to Paypal asking why Nigerians can not have access to their full package. Pure exploitation, they takeout money but we can't receive from other countries. So how can we grow? And we have a government.

Our communication didn't end the way I wanted so, I did a post/article to lament the injustice but it didn't not generate the much needed buzz to get the attention of the people who could help. Maybe I should have posted it here, you never know.

I have continued to work with 2 online payment processors, reading reviews on them from Nigerians and researching. I am now working with just one whom I have not read a single bad review on yet. I am more challenged because most people are saying it would not work, so this is yours truly challenging the status quo. What drives me is that the platform is being built on honesty and sincere desire to add value so I will give it my very best.

I have decided every individual have a tendency to be dishonest no matter where they come from. And for me one of the ways to get people behave right is to put systems in place to deter bad behaviors. Think on that. Find a way don't make excuses. Believe in Nigeria, we are not worst than others.

Most of us have bought ebooks that were created by a Germans in Australia. What value did they added to a Nigerian entrepreneur? Have you been able to duplicate their system like they promised? How many beautiful sales letters have read that the product delivered nothing?

I'm looking forward to more ebooks from young successful entrepreneurs from Nigeria truly because it would resonate with us. It would be easier to duplicate the systems used in Nigeria than that of someone from Egypt.

One of the beszt ways to sell an idea, product zor service is to find where your audience hang out and add value to them. If someone has researched these freelance sites and want to reach some of us his audience here, please don't discourage him. Rather learn what you can, find your own flow and stick with it.

I will create an account with one of the recommended freelance website to help with my research and need to make money too. God willing I will share my experiences and hope more people will also give honest reviews to help others.

I enjoy most of the discussions here and I have also learnt a lot from you guys. So many intelligent and hilarious comments here help some of us relax after a long day. Please be kind to one another.

2 Likes

Re: Why Freelance Websites Has Refused To Function In Nigeria by Godmother(f): 11:06am On Sep 19, 2015
My dear frelance sites won't work in Nigeria because a lot of Nigerians are dishonest and greedy. We also want to make money fast, not minding who gets hurt in the process. I remember a Nigerian freelance site I joined some years back paidmailnigeria and slaved away for weeks to meet the cashout threshold, only for my account to be packed up.

We Nigerians are the cause of our problems and until we put this right we will continue to suffer.

(1) (Reply)

Gift To All Nairaland Forex Traders / 5 Secret Tips To Become A CEO Before You Turn 30 / Customized Government Dinner Sets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.