Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,252 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote (2502 Views)

Nigerian Govt Will Not Use Imported Materials In Housing Schemes – Fashola / FG, Dangote Sign N11.5bn Obajana-kabba Concrete Road Contract - Punchnews / Ag-dangote Commissions Longest Concrete Road In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by vorigan: 12:41pm On Sep 19, 2015
Chairman of Dangote Cement, Aliko Dangote over the weekend reiterated his plea to the Federal Government to urgently consider the use of concrete roads in the country.

In a chat with newsmen over the weekend, the African richest man said, it would be to the benefit of Nigerians and even the Federal Government to embrace the option of using concrete for roads in the country. Aside from being very cheap, he said concrete roads were more durable and that its maintenance cost was near zero.

According to him: “We are pushing for Nigeria to do a concrete road. It is cheaper to do a concrete road that will last 50 years than to do a bitumen road. It will also help in eliminating corruption because if you go and build a bitumen road, it will have to be adequately maintained unlike a concrete road that is very durable.”

It would be recalled that the company had just expanded its frontiers to Asia, by constructing a 3 million metric tons per annum (mmtpa), Cement Plant in Nepal, as part of its new investment of $4.34 billion into 10 African countries.

Currently in 15 African countries, excluding Kenya, Niger and Mali, which are new projects. The company’s current total capacity stands at 48mmtpa, out of which Nigeria alone has the largest chunk of 29.3mmtpa.

Dangote recently said: “…..We are not only building cement plants in Africa, we have gone far away to NEPAL to build a 3 million metric tons Cement Plant capacity and by the time all these our new projects are completed in the next two years, Dangote Cement will have more than 70 million capacity but we are not going to stop there, hopefully, by 2020, our targets is getting to somewhere around 100 million tons capacity.

"I can assure you categorically that Africa will not lack cement now and even in the future…Africa will be self -sufficient rather than be a dumping ground for other manufacturers of cement. “

The new Plants for which agreement was signed recently with Sinoma, was on the construction of the following Plants: 3mmtpa in Nepal, 2.5mmtpa in Ethiopia, 3mmtpa in both Kenya 1&2; 1.5mmtpa in Zambia; 1.5mmtpa in Senegal, 1.5mmtpa in Niger, 1.5mmtpa in Mali, Cameroon, Cote D’Ivoire and Ghana also have Plants of 1.5mmtpa capacity respectively.

It would be recalled that Dangote Cement recently commissioned its 1.5 million metric tonnes per annum (mmtpa) capacity cement plant valued at $400 million with a 30 megawatts coal plant to power the factory.

The project was inaugurated by Zambia President , Edgar Chagwa Lungu, at Masasiti district, Ndola, Zambia.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/concrete-road-cheaper-durable-says-dangote/220608/

[img]http://www.ethioconstruction.net/sites/default/files/styles/contact_address_optimized/public/Information/Images/Vs.jpg?itok=zRKPNAM-[/img]
left: concrete right:bitumen

lalasticlala
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by meezynetwork(m): 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2015
Ok
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 19, 2015
The earlier the better
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by citizenY(m): 1:13pm On Sep 19, 2015
Experts in the house please comment . Otherwise the man dey look for market.

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Omololu007(m): 1:39pm On Sep 19, 2015
Oya experts,make we hear from una!
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 19, 2015
The way the man is spreading his investment will tell you that he has foresight. No upheavals in any part of the world can stop him from producing cement. I pray he moves into Europe and Asia with his works.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by asha80(m): 1:43pm On Sep 19, 2015
citizenY:
Experts in the house please comment . Otherwise the man dey look for market.
I think so too...but why should we import bitumen when it is supposedly abundant in ogun?

1 Like

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by warrior01: 1:46pm On Sep 19, 2015
Good
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by citizenY(m): 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2015
asha80:
I think so too...but why should we import bitumen when it is supposedly abundant in ogun?

Perhaps Dangote wants us to use cement....and export bitumen.... you get the drift? And I think we still inport bitumen o!"
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by 9jii(m): 1:53pm On Sep 19, 2015
Experts should analyse this claim and report it to the right people in charge.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by omowolewa: 1:58pm On Sep 19, 2015
Its economical to use bitumen.

Cement may be cheaper in the micro sense (with low margin) but in the macro, its expensive. Bitumen has no alternative use than for road construction. Immediately you start using cement for road construction, you see the price skyrocketing beyond normal.

The moral reason why cassava/rice is not suitable for fuel production is the reason why cement isn't good enough for road construction beside other reasons.
Even if Dangote floods the market with cement to reduce price, it won't work.

Yes, Dan will smile to the bank but mass will cry on bank alert!

4 Likes

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:04pm On Sep 19, 2015
asha80:
Ondo State has more bitumen than any state.

@topic: I'm not an expert, but I witnessed how cement was used in the construction of the East West Road and how the flood of 2012 wiped it off in Ughelli.

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by andresia(m): 2:07pm On Sep 19, 2015
I agree that concrete built roads are more durable and require less maintenance but its smoother driving on bitumen road than concrete built roads

1 Like

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by asha80(m): 2:10pm On Sep 19, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Ondo State has more bitumen than any state.

@topic: I'm not an expert, but I witnessed how cement was used in the construction of the East West Road and how the flood of 2012 wiped it off in Ughelli.
sorry I meant ondo

Are you sure the construction of that east west rd was solid? Nigerian things now
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by gnykelly(m): 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
he was to sell his market. smart alhaji.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Delafruita(m): 2:16pm On Sep 19, 2015
the road from ilaro to his factory obese was constructed with concrete and I have to say I didn't enjoy driving on it at all.I am quite certain it will wear out tyres faster.using concrete for road construction will definitely drivebup the price of cement
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by jaegermesiter: 2:25pm On Sep 19, 2015
My humble questions
1. How do you attain the durability of concrete against shear and fatigue
2. Hw much per sq meter would it cost for concrete batching and laying per km.
3. We are taalking of mass concrete hence reinforcements hence importation of tmt rods,right?
4.Are we talking of plain concrete or fibre concrete,to solve grip issue and braking issue?
5. Are we talkin of a high grade cement with high plasticity(which dangote dosnt even produce) which can also attain the quality of grade 60/70 bitumen.
6.What's d cost-benefit ratio of using concrete
7. Pls is that guy a civil engr? If yes,make dem check him coren cert.
And oh both pix are both asphalt pavements(rigid and flexible pavements)

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by hennybee(m): 2:47pm On Sep 19, 2015
Please let's look at it critically lest we run into bigger problems. Am aware concrete is more durable compared to bitumen. But on the other hand:
Bitumen provides better skid resistance/traction which is very important in drivers' safety.

Bitumen can be recycled and reused by melting it.

In bitumen use, it takes a shorter time frame for road construction as compared to concrete with longer curing time.. invariably our road will take longer construction period. In a system like our, that's a big issue.

Repairing roads with bitumen can be done in parts but in concrete, the entire slab has to be replaced.

1 Like

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by anulaxad(m): 3:09pm On Sep 19, 2015
I don't believe that concrete is a better material than bitumen when it comes to road infrastructure, however truth be told how can we be importing Bitumen as an oil producing country, it's shameful honestly.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2015
Why do we even need to import bitumen at the first place.The kind of politics we love to play in Nigeria is our biggest obstacle.There's a lecturer at OAU Dr Bayonle Ademodi who refines untapped crude bitumen in Agbabu, Irele Local Government Area of Ondo State to Cold Mix Asphalt (CMA) but where the problem lies is the fact that he's an APC chieftain in Ondo State and the state is governed by PDP.Motorists and motorcyclists have been enjoying smooth rides in areas where the material was applied.Instead of mimiko to work together with him, His loyalty to PDP won't let him think properly.

1 Like

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by OPCNAIRALAND: 3:53pm On Sep 19, 2015
Concrete wears tire more quickly than does bitumen.

Tires last longer on bitumen and saves cost.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by wasco24: 4:04pm On Sep 19, 2015
Gooooi gooio
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by waldigit: 6:24pm On Sep 19, 2015
vorigan:
Chairman of Dangote C.

In a cGovernment to embrace the option of using concrete for roads in the country. Aside from being very cheap, he said concrete roads were more durable and that its maintenance cost was near zero.

According to him: “We are pushing for Nigeria to do a concrete road. It is cheaper to do a concrete road that will last 50 years than to do a bitumen road. It will also help in eliminating corruption becau
It would be recalled that the company had just expanded its frontiers to Asia, by constructing a 3 million metric tons per annum (mmtpa), Cement Plant in Nepal, as part of its new investment of $4.34 billion into 10 African countries.

Currently in 15 African countries, excluding Kenya, Niger and Mali, which are new projects. The company’s current total capacity stands at 48mmtpa, out of which Nigeria alone has the largest chunk of 29.3mmtpa.

Dangote recently said: “…..We are not only building cement plants in Africa, we have gone far away to NEPAL to build a 3 million metric tons Cement Plant capacity
"I can assure you categorically that Africa will not lack cement now and even in the future…Africa will be self -sufficient rather than be a dumping ground for other manufacturers of cement. “

The new Plants for which agreement was signed recenconstruction of the following Plants: 3mmtpa in Nepal, 2.5mmtpa in Ethiopia, 3mmtpa in both Kenya 1&2; 1.5mmtpa in Zambia; 1.5mmtpa in Senegal, 1.5mmtpa in Niger, 1.5mmtpa in Mali, Cameroon, Cote D’Ivoire and Ghana also have Plants of 1.5mmtpa capacity respectively.

It would be recalled that Dangote Cement recently commissioned its 1.5 million metric tonnes per annum (mmtpa) capacity cement plant valued at $400 million with a 30 megawatts coal plant to power the factory.

The project was inaugurated by Zambia President , Edgar Chagwa Lungu, at Masasiti district, Ndola, Zambia.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/concrete-road-cheaper-durable-says-dangote/220608/

[img]http://www.ethioconstruction.net/sites/default/files/styles/contact_address_optimized/public/Information/Images/Vs.jpg?itok=zRKPNAM-[/img]
left: concrete right:bitumen

lalasticlala

as an expert I am of opinion that in the long run concrete road is more efficient than bitumen conterpart. But in terms of initial capital outlay there may not be much significant cost reduction. This because concrete road shall involve greater content of coarse aggregate such as granite thus relating cost to locations where such granite may be readily available. Eg concrete road along marinal coast shall drastically vary inversely from that of along Lagos-ibadan express road where granitic rock deposits is ample.
Also in the mix is construction technology. Concrete is weak in tension but strong in compression, but bitumen is strong in tension but may become weak under intense heat, meaning, for high imposed load such as lagos ibadan express way, s system of expansion joint will have to be inserted to enable concrete road admit tensional stress, else the thickness of the conrete may cancel whatever gains we can get in terms of cost.
Yes in terms of maintenance concrere road is ok because of their high risistance to heat and water run off.

1 Like

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by olawalepopoola: 6:48pm On Sep 19, 2015
Have Dangote consider the expansive or shrinkage properties of materials to be used. Has he also consider the tropical nature of our climate! Water is an important factor that may affect this in this part of the world.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by vorigan: 6:42am On Sep 20, 2015
olawalepopoola:
Have Dangote consider the expansive or shrinkage properties of materials to be used. Has he also consider the tropical nature of our climate! Water is an important factor that may affect this in this part of the world.

Read the poster above you, countries like US and india use mainly concrete roads.

For those asking why we import bitumen, the bitumen grade found in Nigeria is of very low quality.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by efilefun(m): 6:49am On Sep 20, 2015
vorigan:

Read the poster above you, countries like US and india use mainly concrete roads.

For those asking why we import bitumen, the bitumen grade found in Nigeria is of very low quality.
Was just about posting same thing, was in india some years back for a training and i noticed how good their roads were until i found out they use concretes mostly... you see them destroy a good looking road constructed with bitumen and reconstruct it with concrete, same here in the states thats why you can hardly see portholes on the roads.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by efilefun(m): 6:52am On Sep 20, 2015
There was a road fashola constructed somewhere around okoko using bricks, and also concrete, that area is well known for stagnant water for months, bro since that road had been done it has never had issues
olawalepopoola:
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by vorigan: 7:07am On Sep 20, 2015
efilefun:
Was just about posting same thing, was in india some years back for a training and i noticed how good their roads were until i found out they use concretes mostly... you see them destroy a good looking road constructed with bitumen and reconstruct it with concrete, same here in the states thats why you can hardly see portholes on the roads.

The Nigerian problem always kicks in, government officials will prefer asphalt roads due to the fact that maintenance is an ungoing thing with asphalt roads, and maintenance is what keeps their pockets fat!

Lets go concrete, and quit bitumen imports.

1 Like

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Mznaett: 7:07am On Sep 20, 2015
Bitumen are non-valetile when heated while concrete has high resistance to heat and water run-off @Omowolewa Bitumen can also be used in building i.e decking not only in Road construction

Concrete is more preferable cuz of it durability if you ask me

2 Likes

Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by Eldorado01(m): 7:08am On Sep 20, 2015
bad sharp man.....who go dey supply d cement?
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by BALLOSKI: 7:24am On Sep 20, 2015
I have always advised this, but I don't know why our government the usual way of constructing road in Nigeria.
Re: Why Use Imported Bitumen? Concrete Road Cheaper, Durable, Says Dangote by jaegermesiter: 4:58pm On Oct 20, 2015
Your are wrong,rather concrete is more susceptible to heat(thermal cracks)
There are various grade of bitumen;60-70,60,40.......which indicates d melting point of the bitumen....grade 70 are mostly used in northern nigeria.
The major cause of failure in pavements is wear and fatigue

Mznaett:

Bitumen are non-valetile when heated while concrete has high resistance to heat and water run-off @Omowolewa Bitumen can also be used in building i.e decking not only in Road construction

Concrete is more preferable cuz of it durability if you ask me

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

We Want Freedom For The Indigenous People Of Lagos State, Tunde Bakare / Governor Wike Appointed Ex-millitant Leader...egberi Papa As Asari-toro Lga Boss / States’ Foreign Debts Hit $3.2bn , Cannot Repay In The Next 50 Years -Shehu Sani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.