Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,062 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission (170191 Views)

How To Get Nigerian Birth Certificate From National Population Commission? / Nigerian Birth Certificate Needed From The National Population Commission / National Population Commission (NPC) Birth/ Attestation Certificate Enquiries.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 11:32pm On Apr 13, 2009
I, a Nigerian national and my husband (Swiss) reside in the UK. We have tried registering our marriage at the Swiss embassy in London for almost 2 years now but have been told that I need to obtain my FULL birth certificate from the NPC in Nigeria before any registration can be documented in Switzerland (apparently my abridged cert. is not acceptable). As you may understand, my husband is quite upset that while our marriage is recognized in the UK (where our union took place) and my country of origin, in Switzerland we are not even considered married!

1. As I am originally from Delta state but was born in Lagos, do we go to the NPC in Lagos?
2. We have been advised that I would need to go to court to swear to an affidavit declaring my age. Is this a fairly straightforward process?
3. Is it realistic to expect to wrap up this whole process in 1 day i.e. getting both the affidavit and birth certificate?
4. As the B.C is required for out of country/external purposes, would we need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja to have it certified before submitting to the Swiss embassy in London?
5. What is the cost, on average, for the entire administrative formality?

I would like to hear from those who have personally gone through this process.

Cheers and many thanks in advance.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Ilelobola: 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2009
Are there really different types of BC in Nigeria?My siblings and I have similar ones which includes details of both parents and it's similar to what those born around that time 70s-80s have. We've presented it to embassies etc (though not Swiss) and never asked for anything else. If this is what you require, we have been able to obtain it easily at the High courts in Ikeja which I think is close to the Ikeja golf course/Police college. Have you tried finding out from the Nigeria High Commission?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 2:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
Ilelobola:

Are there really different types of BC in Nigeria?
Apparently for people born before the mid 80s when there wasn't a reliable/accurate birth registration and census process, the little book (mine is green) which you obtained at birth is not acceptable (by the Swiss) as it doesn't contain sufficient information about the birth parents (their DOBs, where they were born e.t.c.).
My siblings and I have similar ones which includes details of both parents and it's similar to what those born around that time 70s-80s have.
Mine contains where and when I was born, as well as my parents' full names but not their DOBs. It's a small green book with one centre data page.
We've presented it to embassies etc (though not Swiss) and never asked for anything else.
I guess it depends on what the embassies needed it for. The Swiss take data accuracy (like everything else!) very seriously and need to be absolutely certain that my personal details are correct before they are added to the family register database in Switzerland.
If this is what you require, we have been able to obtain it easily at the High courts in Ikeja which I think is close to the Ikeja golf course/Police college.
What does yours look like? Don't think the high courts issue such documents. An age declaration, yes, but the actual full birth certificate would need to come from the NPC.
Have you tried finding out from the Nigeria High Commission?
I did ask, and they said that they do not concern themselves with such. Was asked to go get if from Nigeria!

P.S: Just saw this: http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/topic,4565c22514,4565c25f1df,48d223771d,0.html, so I guess I may even need to get a sworn affidavit from my LGA which is in Delta State!!! Can I not just obtain int from Lagos where I was actually born?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by tpia: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2009
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 14, 2009
I guess you got all you needed to know
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:13pm On Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for your time and help tpia
tpia:

your LGA should be the place where you were born. Your parents LGA in Delta isnt necessarily your own in this instance, since you werent born there and your enquiry isnt for census purposes. You can still get an affidavit from Delta but wont it list your place of birth as Lagos? Unless you want to change that.
No, don't want to have to travel to Delta state if I can help it! I am quite happy to obtain the birth certificate from Lagos as I was born there.
I checked the NPC website and it states a child cannot be registered outside its area of birth. This may be a recent addendum however.
http://www.population.gov.ng/FAQs-Birth%20Reg.pdf
It also states that adults canot be registered! I'm confused.
Do you have relatives in Lagos who can help you make enquiries? Sometimes the people on ground know more about navigating the system and what avenues there are.
I do. But the modalities of the process seem better handled by my husband and I instead of '3rd parties'. Nxt2u says that the process will take 2 weeks. I wonder if this is slightly exaggerated or the stark reality? Anybody?
NPC contact information: http://www.population.gov.ng/contactus.htm
I'll try the numbers and see what information I gather.
also, have you checked with the Nigerian embassy in Switzerland?
I doubt that they can be of help as my husband and I are UK residents.

Sigh! I'll follow the above leads and hope to get better clarity. But in the interim if anyone has additional comments or pointers, please share. I'm all ears!

Merci!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brownbonno(m): 8:43pm On Apr 14, 2009
Plum,u need your parent(s)to get it done in asaba.Although I am in naija but can,t help.Am sure we have meet in another forum ***boards.com.u may not need the consulate in naija if you have an affidavit along with the BC
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 9:01pm On Apr 14, 2009
brownbonno:

Plum,u need your parent(s)to get it done in asaba.Although I am in naija but can,t help.Am sure we have meet in another forum ***boards.com.u may not need the consulate in naija if you have an affidavit along with the BC
And now more mystery is flung straight into an already confusing situation!!! Why Asaba? I was born in Lagos. My father is from Delta State and my mother Anambra State.

If it is indeed true that I (or a family member) need to travel all the way East to get this piece of paper, then we'll most likely do without it!

I hope that someone in a similar situation can offer advice from personal experience. Can a NPC birth certificate be obtained from one's (not parents') place of birth at all?

H-E-L-P!!!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by mascott(m): 10:50pm On Apr 14, 2009
I feel compelled to contribute. I must admit I am quite surprised at how difficult people are making these things appear.

I recently got my National Birth Certificate from the NPC office in Yenagoa(Bayelsa State) where I used to reside (I am originally from Anambra state).

Process was pretty straightforward. I got the court affidavit in less than 30 mins for #200.00. (You can give the typists or whoever some tips to make the process faster). Same day I submitted the application at the NPC office, and was asked to return the following week because some Ogas were not on seat. I dont remember exactly how much I paid for the certificate but with a #500.00 tip, I was able to get it in the next day.

I reckon it might be a little bit more difficult in Lagos, but it should not take up to one week, plus you do not need to travel to your place of birth to obtain it.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Just be careful with people who claim they are agents as you do not need them.

All da best. Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Tats(m): 1:02am On Apr 15, 2009
Let me contribute here as I have recently gone through the process.

I scanned my Birth Certificate and sent it to my elder brother. I thought I would be able to get a certified copy of my original as they do here in the UK. Eventually, my brother was told that he had to do the NPC attestation of Birth since I was born before NPC decree came out. He went to court in the Western state where I was born and swore an affidavit of birth for me. The document contained the place where I was born, both my parents name and my village/state of origin. Sameday, he went to NPC to get an attestation of Birth, but before he went to NPC, I had to send a scanned copy of my passport photograph and he printed a new copy as this was required to be put on the NPC document. He couldn't get the NPC document signed as the Boss was not around. He got a friend to send it to him next day in Lagos after it was signed.

I travelled to Abuja and took both the affidavit and the attestation of Birth to the Ministry of Foreign affairs. You need to get there as early as 8am as they have limited spaces for the day. You will join a queue and be given a form to fill after they have seen both documents. You will need 2 passport photographs. Then you will be taken to another place where your documents will be checked again. After that, you will pay for each document to be certified. it costs N300 per copy. Following this, you will go right outside the ministry to photocopy the receipt and buy a transparent file. Then you will go back to a counter beside the first place you queued to queue again for them to collect the documents. Both queues have sits under a canopy. You will be exhausted by the time they collect your documents after about 4 hours and in the heat. Then they will ask you to come on a Friday to pick it up if you submitted on a Wednesday. I think they only accept documents on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Just pray that the person signing the seal on your document is around else it may take more than 2 days. any attempt to get it earlier than the day you were given will mean that you will part with between N5,000 to N10,000. The Affidavit and the NPC document will also cost you some money if you need it pretty fast.

You will then need to book an appointment at the Embassy that you are legalizing the document for. I am not sure how it works for the Swiss embassy but you need to book an appointment for this in most European Embassies. You will be lucky to get an early date, depending on the number of people doing same thing as you.

You can do all the above through a very close relative with same surname. For the Embassy, you will need to give a covering letter to the person you are sending and he or she must have same surname as you and have an ID. I couldn't stay back in Nigeria to do the legalisation at the embassy so I left instructions and my documents and now, I need to call the Embassy from here to book an appointment following which my brother will go there for the appointment. I was told by the Embassy in Abuja that everything has to be done from Nigeria (both certifying the document at Foreign affairs and legalising at the embassy) and that I couldn't do it at the Embassies of both countries in London.

That is the pain we have to go through as nobody trusts our documents anymore! Wish you good luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by chioma24: 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2009
Plum70@ my mum did my own just last month,affidavit declaring my age and birth certificate.but u must do it in ur LGA.
ABOUT 2000NARIA.JUST TWO DAYS.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2009
chioma24:

Plum70@ my mum did my own just last month,affidavit declaring my age and birth certificate.
What identifying documents did you have to provide in order for your mum to get this done? I assume a photocopy of your passport data page, your original birth certificate, marriage certificate (in my case as I now bear my husband's name)
but u must do it in ur LGA.
Do you mean where I was born (Lagos)? Or Delta State where my father is from?
ABOUT 2000NARIA.JUST TWO DAYS.
Is this with or without bribes/compulsory tips? I have been reminded in this forum that it is still ingrained in the fabric of Nigerian civil society.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 5:25pm On Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for posting Tats.
Tats:

I travelled to Abuja and took both the affidavit and the attestation of Birth to the Ministry of Foreign affairs. You need to get there as early as 8am as they have limited spaces for the day. You will join a queue and be given a form to fill after they have seen both documents. You will need 2 passport photographs. Then you will be taken to another place where your documents will be checked again. After that, you will pay for each document to be certified. it costs N300 per copy. Following this, you will go right outside the ministry to photocopy the receipt and buy a transparent file. Then you will go back to a counter beside the first place you queued to queue again for them to collect the documents. Both queues have sits under a canopy. You will be exhausted by the time they collect your documents after about 4 hours and in the heat. Then they will ask you to come on a Friday to pick it up if you submitted on a Wednesday. I think they only accept documents on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Just pray that the person signing the seal on your document is around else it may take more than 2 days. any attempt to get it earlier than the day you were given will mean that you will part with between N5,000 to N10,000. The Affidavit and the NPC document will also cost you some money if you need it pretty fast.
This sounds like stress we would rather avoid (if we can)! I will find out from the Swiss embassy if this authentication is absolutely necessary. Part of the process is that once the NPC birth certificate is obtained and submitted to the relevant Swiss consulate, a lawyer/private eye would investigate the origin and authenticity of the document before it is accepted. So I will make double sure that this can be substituted for Min. of Foreign Affairs' seal.
You will then need to book an appointment at the Embassy that you are legalizing the document for. I am not sure how it works for the Swiss embassy but you need to book an appointment for this in most European Embassies. You will be lucky to get an early date, depending on the number of people doing same thing as you.
The Swiss are efficient to a fault, plus as it is a family matter, we should be given a 'priority' booking (I hope!). If the submission can be done at the consulate here in London, then it would be a walk-in affair.
You can do all the above through a very close relative with same surname.
I have adopted my husband's name so I guess this only frustrates the possibility of 3rd party help. To be honest, i'd rather do it myself as it all sounds very haphazard.
That is the pain we have to go through as nobody trusts our documents anymore!
Truly so. However, it is justified especially where instances of fraud and falsification of documents is rife amongst the Nigerian population. No offense, I am Nigerian as well, but the fact still remains and sometimes the 'innocent' suffer for the crimes of others.
So, to recap, I have gleaned this much from all the helpful posts:

Obtain an affidavit of age declaration (chargeable), ready in under 1 hour
Apply for birth cert. from NPC (chargeable), ready in under 1 week
Authentication from MFA may be optional.

I am open to further contributions while i try to sort out the logistics for this process. So please, keep posting!

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by chioma24: 6:19pm On Apr 15, 2009
photocopy of my passport,my two passport picture.i was born in east so my mum went TO my LGA AND DID MINE,I THINK SHE NEED TO GO LAGOS COS U WERE BORN IN LAGOS
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by uzwu: 7:46pm On Apr 15, 2009
It is not mandatory you do it in the state or local Govt area that you were born. I did mine in Lagos, Ikeja High court previsely. My mum swore to the affidavit. both the age declaration and Npc at Surulere in Lagos
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 8:32pm On Apr 15, 2009
uzwu:

It is not mandatory you do it in the state or local Govt area that you were born. I did mine in Lagos, Ikeja High court previsely. My mum swore to the affidavit. both the age declaration and Npc at Surulere in Lagos
How long did it take your mum to get everything done?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brutal(m): 10:03am On Apr 16, 2009
This's a very simple thing.u don't have 2 go back home(unheard of).ur family and friends back home can handle it.it'll be documented.i think 100 pounds will be ok at least.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 2:06pm On Apr 16, 2009
brutal:

This's a very simple thing.u don't have 2 go back home(unheard of).ur family and friends back home can handle it.it'll be documented.i think 100 pounds will be ok at least.
It's becoming apparent that we may not need to travel to Nigeria strictly for this purpose. I will give it much thought and decide on what to do.

Thanks everyone!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by uzwu: 7:26pm On Apr 16, 2009
My mum swore to the affidavit that is age declaration at the Ikeja high court for me. You don't swore to the affidavit yourself cos you were not there when you were born

It takes just an hour that is typing the data, signing it etc, it costs about 100 then that was in 2006.

Pls make sure you do it yourself o. it is very important. Don't give it to the touts outside that Court gate to do for you o or else you may end up starting all over again if the embassy you are using for discovered it was not properly documented. It is very easy, do it yourself pls
Thereafter i proceeded to Npc in Surulere with the sworn affidavit of age. Npc as at that time was about three thousand naira only so be wise

It took me about 4 days cos i tipped the officials if you know what i mean But you can decide to wait for the normal duration of the Certificate to come out. I think it takes about two weeks on the minimum then in 2006.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 12:50am On Apr 17, 2009
Thanks for your input Uzwu.

So I take it that while getting the affidavit is quite easy, the NPC birth certificate can take anything up to two weeks if the right people are not tipped! Where as, on the NPC website it says that the birth certificate is issued immediately and is absolutely free!

Anyways, i'll see what can be done by proxy. As my family is back in Nigeria I would need to send them photocopies of my passport, passport pictures and (may be) my marriage certificate as well? Due to the name change.

Once again, I thank everyone for contributing. You've all been of immense help.

Cheers!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by modupay(f): 10:05am On Apr 17, 2009
i really want to do it please house advise me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 1:17pm On Apr 17, 2009
modupay:

i really want to do it please house advise me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
You really want to do what? 

If you're referring to the NPC birth certificate (which I assume you are), then by reading the posts you'll find some useful information. At least I did!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by modupay(f): 3:19pm On Apr 17, 2009
please can u tell me the requirement to do it and their website.
thanks.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by tpia: 7:26pm On Apr 17, 2009
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 1:19pm On Apr 18, 2009
One last thing:

If a family member were to handle this process on my behalf, would the age declaration & NPC birth certificate be done in my maiden name or my married name? I assume it would be my maiden name. Which means a copy of my marriage certificate would be needed (as all my identifying documents are in my married name)?

Thanks
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brutal(m): 1:53pm On Apr 18, 2009
Plum70:

One last thing:

If a family member were to handle this process on my behalf, would the age declaration & NPC birth certificate be done in my maiden name or my married name? I assume it would be my maiden name. Which means a copy of my marriage certificate would be needed (as all my identifying documents are in my married name)?

Thanks
So strange that d foreign office didnot asked u 2 present ur b.cert. b4 issuing u marriage cert.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brutal(m): 1:58pm On Apr 18, 2009
if u r not yet married u need a spinster cert.too.something is not right here and i don't know what type of visa u have right now.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 8:04pm On Apr 18, 2009
No guys, what i'm saying is that i am married and have adopted my husband's name.

So, should the age declaration (from the courts in Lagos) and the NPC birth certificate be issued in my maiden name OR my married name?

My husband seems to think that the documents should be issued in my maiden name as that's what I was called at birth!

Any comments?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brutal(m): 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2009
Normally it should be issued in ur maiden name;but i don't know any country where d b.cert. is not required b4 d approval of d marriage.i am also from delta state(ibusa).
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 11:29pm On Apr 18, 2009
brutal:

Normally it should be issued in ur maiden name;but i don't know any country where d b.cert. is not required b4 d approval of d marriage.i am also from delta state(ibusa).
My husband and I got married in the UK and the Home Office inspected my passport (containing my date of birth) before granting a certificate of approval for marriage (which also bore my DOB).

I guess that the UK Home Office had no reason to doubt that my DOB was anything other than what was reflected in my passport. However, the Swiss embassy are more wary (and rightly so!) preferring to inspect the original document before registering foreign spouses in the Swiss family register.

So, just to clarify for the last time! - the birth certificate should bear my maiden name ONLY.

Many thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

DV LOTTERY 2014 Preparations / List Of Poorest And Richest Country In The World 2013!!! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.