Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,221 members, 7,953,828 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:25 AM

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] (37546 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / 17 Grammar Mistakes You Really Need To Stop Correcting / 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by TRWConsult(m): 7:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
Mistake 1: Using whom as a subject
INCORRECT: Fire personnel radioed deputies to stop the driver, whom, according to reports, appeared to have been under the influence of intoxicants.
CORRECT : Fire personnel radioed deputies to stop the driver, who, according to reports, appeared to have been under the influence of intoxicants.
In this sentence, the pronoun is the subject of the verb appeared and therefore requires the subject form who. The object form of who is whom, which functions as the object of a verb or as the object of a preposition:
That is the man whom I saw at the window. (object of the verb saw)
Did he say to whom he sent the letter? (object of the preposition to)
The misuse of whom as a subject frequently occurs when a phrase intervenes between the pronoun and its subject. Be especially careful with such expressions as “according to so-and-so,” “in my opinion,” “one suspects,” etc. Less frequently, but more embarrassingly, whom is sometimes substituted for who when little or nothing stands between it and its verb, as in this sentence taken from a news account: “An off-duty fireman whom lives in the area provided immediate assistance.”

Mistake 2: Unnecessary would in a wish about the past
INCORRECT: Ten Things I Wish I Would Have Known When I Was Twenty
CORRECT : Ten Things I Wish I Had Known When I Was Twenty
The opportunity for knowing the ten things existed in the past, but exists no longer. The tense required, therefore, is the past perfect (had + past participle).

Mistake 3: Dangling modifier
INCORRECT: At the age of four, Sam’s family moved from Florida, Missouri, to Hannibal.
CORRECT : At the age of four, Sam moved with his family from Florida, Missouri, to Hannibal.
Modifiers should be positioned as closely as possible to the element they modify. The modifying phrase “At the age of four” modifies “Sam,” not “Sam’s family.”

Mistake 4: Subject-Verb disagreement with delayed subject
INCORRECT: There goes Sally and Greg on their way to the movies.
CORRECT : There go Sally and Greg on their way to the movies.
Subjects and verbs must agree in number. When a sentence begins with here or there, the true subject of the sentence follows the verb. “Sally and Greg” is a plural subject, so the verb go must also be plural: “Sally and Greg go.”

Mistake 5: Incorrect use of object pronouns
INCORRECT: Me and my brothers all have college degrees in business.
CORRECT : My brothers and I all have college degrees in business.
Several English pronouns retain different forms that indicate their function in a sentence. Me is an object form. In the example, it is incorrectly used as the subject of the verb have. Other object forms often used incorrectly are him, her, us, them, and whom.

Credit: DWT

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by myqel(m): 7:11pm On Sep 21, 2015
Thanks OP cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
Chai if not for nairaland eeh, you guys changed my life for good. Nice one OP

13 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by southernbelle(f): 12:45am On Sep 22, 2015
nice, following smiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by HopeAtHand: 5:19am On Sep 22, 2015
Alryt then

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by femmykenny: 6:26am On Sep 22, 2015
Gain Admission to 200 level without jamb,
Ijmb form is still on sale, enrol today at www.aboutijmb.com

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by DjAndroid: 6:36am On Sep 22, 2015
Grammar police!

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by khassy(m): 8:37am On Sep 22, 2015
TRWConsult:

INCORRECT: Fire personnel radioed deputies to stop the driver, whom, according to reports, appeared to have been under the influence of intoxicants.
CORRECT : Fire personnel radioed deputies to stop the driver, who, according to reports, appeared to have been under the influence of intoxicants.
In this sentence, the pronoun is the subject of the verb appeared and therefore requires the subject form who. The object form of who is whom, which functions as the object of a verb or as the object of a preposition:
The misuse of whom as a subject frequently occurs when a phrase intervenes between the pronoun and its subject. Be especially careful with such expressions as “according to so-and-so,” “in my opinion,” “one suspects,” etc. Less frequently, but more embarrassingly, whom is sometimes substituted for who when little or nothing stands between it and its verb, as in this sentence taken from a news account: “An off-duty fireman whom lives in the area provided immediate assistance.”

The opportunity for knowing the ten things existed in the past, but exists no longer. The tense required, therefore, is the past perfect (had + past participle).

INCORRECT: At the age of four, Sam’s family moved from Florida, Missouri, to Hannibal.
CORRECT : At the age of four, Sam moved with his family from Florida, Missouri, to Hannibal.
Modifiers should be positioned as closely as possible to the element they modify. The modifying phrase “At the age of four” modifies “Sam,” not “Sam’s family.”

Subjects and verbs must agree in number. When a sentence begins with here or there, the true subject of the sentence follows the verb. “Sally and Greg” is a plural subject, so the verb go must also be plural: “Sally and Greg go.”

Several English pronouns retain different forms that indicate their function in a sentence. Me is an object form. In the example, it is incorrectly used as the subject of the verb have. Other object forms often used incorrectly are him, her, us, them, and whom.

any pidgin grammer we should avoidundecidedundecided

and this is just part 1 ... so you expect me to read all the parts when even part1 D hard me finish since morning undecidedundecided

5 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by free2ryhme: 10:18am On Sep 22, 2015
grin
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by obinnajr(m): 10:19am On Sep 22, 2015
AFRAID CATCH ME OOO

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by DiegoNakel(m): 10:19am On Sep 22, 2015
Nice one O.p. Like my post if you feel the same !!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by free2ryhme: 10:19am On Sep 22, 2015
TRWConsult:

English is a bastard grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by damiloladuke: 10:21am On Sep 22, 2015
noted

SHA CHECK MY SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Sicozone(m): 10:22am On Sep 22, 2015
well....... so nairalanders, today is my birthday and I've come to have my likes just as is the tradition......Happy birthday to me

18 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Burger01(m): 10:23am On Sep 22, 2015
smiley
Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by opad22u: 10:26am On Sep 22, 2015
What about - Here lies the body of a tyrant OR Here lie the body of a tyrant ?

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Richie0974: 10:27am On Sep 22, 2015
Learnt

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by YoungBrain: 10:29am On Sep 22, 2015
Wrong: Arsenal will win ManU
Correct: Arsenal will defeat ManU

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Rubyventures: 10:29am On Sep 22, 2015

@ OP also avoid starting every word with a capital letter in a sentence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by cowboyvs(m): 10:31am On Sep 22, 2015
PMB sabi these ones?? But he is a president. free me joor.....

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Folksyharry(m): 10:32am On Sep 22, 2015
Thanks OP especially for number4.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Writeditor: 10:34am On Sep 22, 2015
TRWConsult:

This is a MISPLACED modifier, not a dangling modifier.

Read more about dangling modifiers and misplaced modifiers here.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by winner95(m): 10:36am On Sep 22, 2015
Only God knws wen we'll be permanently perfect in dis language.. embarassed

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by pansophist(m): 10:36am On Sep 22, 2015
Example number 3 didnt add up, its non--sequitir.

The incorrect sentence passes a notion that Sam did not move with his family, while the other inferred that he moved with them. We can hearby conclude that Sam's family moved without him according to the incorrect example.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 22, 2015
I killed English language yesterday, I said what did you ATE for lunch. the girl just start laughing like. I felt bad with myself

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by JuanDeDios: 10:42am On Sep 22, 2015
pansophist:
Example number 3 didnt add up, its non--sequitir.

The incorrect sentence passes a notion that Sam did not move with his family, while the other inferred that he moved with them. We can hearby conclude that Sam's family moved without him according to the incorrect example.
Yup. And the FAMILY was aged four!

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by floragregs(f): 10:45am On Sep 22, 2015
@ number 3, what if the family moved without sam at the age of 4?

3 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Akynzodeighbour(m): 10:46am On Sep 22, 2015
very good piece

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 22, 2015
YoungBrain:

Wrong: Arsenal will win ManU
Correct: Arsenal will defeat ManU

Great. We do exams and not write them.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Abayor7: 10:48am On Sep 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 22, 2015
floragregs:
@ number 3, what if the family moved without sam at the age of 4?
That is a possibility but you know which one you are talking about. Not saying one and meaning the other.

It is madness, when people say..borrow me money instead of lend me...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sylvester Oromoni’s Sister Celebrates His Birthday (Photos) / Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state / Baze University, Abuja In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.