Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,603 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? (5622 Views)

What is Sin Against The Holy Spirit That Will Not Be Forgiven?? / Man Who Turned Against God, Became An Atheist Found God Again After Many Years / Apostle Suleman Vs Stephanie Otobo: When You Lie Against God's Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by eyezik3(m): 2:04pm On Sep 22, 2015
I was astonished one day when I was heading to viewing centre to watch my favourite club Manchester United playing, on my way to the viewing centre I met my church youth pastor and he asked where I am heading to? And I told him I want to watch Manchester United play Southampton... I got the shock of my life when he told me that it is a sin to watch football, that it is a material things and he quoted that the Bible says we should not love material things.... Please help is watching football match really a sin?
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by ammyluv2002(f): 2:10pm On Sep 22, 2015
What? football a sin? Chai shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by fejikudz(m): 2:13pm On Sep 22, 2015
cheesy lol
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by RealAdewole(m): 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
Is schooling a sin?
Is gaining an employment a sin?
Is going for vacation a sin?
Is being the world richest a sin?
Is playing games a sin?
Is watching television a sin?
Is building cathedrals a sin?
Is being a footballer a sin?
Is.......?
Is.......?
Is........?
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by respect80(m): 2:29pm On Sep 22, 2015
To hell joor.
To use phone nkoor
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by Obascoetubi: 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2015
so why praying to God before the beginning & the end of the match? why do some churches has their own players?
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by RealAdewole(m): 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
Obascoetubi:
so why praying to God before the beginning & the end of the match? why do some churches hav their own players?

at my church we have a football team+including a dstv satelite dish to watch football matches during the night
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by maputohq: 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2015
Obascoetubi:
so why praying to God before the beginning & the end of the match? why do some churches has their own players?
The above is an error in arguement. That churches have their sport team or prayers are said before matches doesn't imply that football is no sin; some evil deeds are done in churches and are accepted as right. IMO, it is no sin.
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by PRINCESSO2: 8:18pm On Sep 22, 2015
1 Corinthians 10:31-Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
IF FOOTBALL IS JUST A VAIN SPORTS THAT INSTEAD OF BRING GLORY TO GOD IS INSTEAD TAKING THE PLACE OF GOD IN SOME HEARTS OF MEN(YOU HEAR OF PEOPLE KILLING THEMSELVES OVER FOOTBALL) THEN IT IS A SIN.
1 Corinthians 8:13 -Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.
Many hearts of men instead of loving God with all their hearts can love football more than God. They spend more time on football than worship ping Our God,making them stumble .Football therefore is making our brothers stumble,meaning unfortunately it is a sin.
Luke 10:27- And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
Anything that takes the place of God in our hearts is a sin. And we must avoid anything that causes our brother to stumble because Mark 12:31-And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Even if football is not an obsession with you,if it is causing others to stumble,like obsess over it or even commit suicide because their team lost, then the Christ like thing to do will be to give it up if you want to make heaven. Lots of people have to give up other stuff in their life too like immoral movies,manga reading(as it could take the place of God in some lives) and anything that causes people to stumble.
Remember- Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

1 Like

Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by Humblebloke(m): 9:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
When it has to do with religion..... Everything is a sin!!!undecided
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by Heavenly102: 10:57am On Sep 23, 2015
following Christ does not mean becoming a closed social misfit
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by judedwriter(m): 3:51pm On Aug 30, 2017
Watching football is no sin, but it can become sin if you obsess excessively over it more than God!
Re: Is Watching Football Match A Sin Against God? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 30, 2017
eyezik3:
I was astonished one day when I was heading to viewing centre to watch my favourite club Manchester United playing, on my way to the viewing centre I met my church youth pastor and he asked where I am heading to? And I told him I want to watch Manchester United play Southampton... I got the shock of my life when he told me that it is a sin to watch football, that it is a material things and he quoted that the Bible says we should not love material things.... Please help is watching football match really a sin?
No it's not but becomes sin when you turn it to idol. If you are to attend fellowship the day your team is playing and you miss it for football, it becomes sin. If you pay to watch football and have excuse of not paying offering on normal fellowship it becomes sin. If you attend church service late but you're early to watch football it becomes sin. So try as much as possible to balance it. The attitude and zeal exhibited on watching football should also be transferred when fellowshipping with Yahweh. You should have asked him if it's a sin to laugh too?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Was Jesus Before He Became A Man? / Homosexuality And Religion / Stop The Persecution Of The Pope!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.